Are the Maloofs Still on Grant's Show Today?

This is a bunch of nonsense. I appreciate the team staying, but I don't believe much of anything Joe Maloof is saying right now. Please don't insult my intelligence.
Yes. That interview was terribly insulting to the fans. The first time I heard, I was angry, but when they replayed it I found it humorous in its ridiculousness.

What Joe Maloof did was feed the fan the same lines the Maloofs were feeding the fans when in reality they were working with Anaheim and Samueli. Why he expects the fans to buy it now is insulting.

His whole voice and persona sounded like a man worried there was a mob of angry citizens outside his castle, but his reaction was to say the same sort of golly geewhiz nonsense that the mob had grown tired of. This was a "Baby, I'm sorry" moment for the Maloofs, but I am not sure they understood that fully.

And his last, farewell line about "What would you do?" is a PR disaster. No manner of ostriching by Napear is going to fix that. I predict the press will have a field day with that. What would the fans do? Hopefully not blow all of your dad's money, not BS the fans and not take a team that looked to be a new winning franchise and dismantle every pillar it was built on. Not move the team to a rival city just because you need the bailout money. Hopefully they would own up to their business mistakes and face the fate others have to.

Which gets to Joe's denial of their business troubles, spoken in a very conditional truth. "Will you be able to spend money on free agents and build a competitive team?" "Sure" (Sure is ever the dismissive affirmative.) What that removes is the question of whether the Maloofs can stay out of bankruptcy while waiting for an arena, how near they are to bankruptcy and whether they really are hanging on to the Kings as their last real asset. Nevermind the loan defaulting rumors, their having to try to renegotiate their Palms loan, their total lack of acknowledging the condo disaster, and trying to pass off the idea that they've always spent money. Yes, they said they were always spenders and were offended by the idea that they got cheap. When you're feeding that BS to your customers, you aren't going to get the makeup sex you're looking for.

And thats what this is, a chance for the Maloofs to own up for their wrongs and ask forgiveness, but they don't seem to realize it.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And thats what this is, a chance for the Maloofs to own up for their wrongs and ask forgiveness, but they don't seem to realize it.
1) most of their "wrongs" are really nobody's business anymore than you defaulting on your mortgage is theirs
2) they don't need to if they really want to go. In fact if I actually wanted to go, I would come on the radio and just tell the fans to bite me. They spiral off, get dumb, turn on the team, quit showing up, and next year I am free to blow this popsicle stand. Doesn't make much sense to a) assume the Maloofs wanted to leave, and then b) expect them to grovel.

The real trick here is that fans HAVE to forgive the Maloofs enough to work with them, not for the Maloof's sake, but for their own.

KJ and Burkle changed the relationship here. Before, the city was the boyfriend that did wrong, but the roles have switched.

And if the financial situation is impacting the relationship, if you're leaving town then the reasons why you're leaving town matter. If you are saying its because you got no arena, when the truth is far more than that then you own up to it.

My defaulting on a mortage is not their business because there is no connection there. I don't owe them money.

and as for your proposed handling of things if they were wanting to leave: lol

You got to have PR capital as well, and doing that would burn them out with the NBA, the team's next home and generally make them a bigger public enemy. That response acts like politics and PR don't matter. They do.

KJ and Burkle changed the relationship here. Before, the city was the boyfriend that did wrong, but the roles have switched.

And if the financial situation is impacting the relationship, if you're leaving town then the reasons why you're leaving town matter. If you are saying its because you got no arena, when the truth is far more than that then you own up to it.

My defaulting on a mortage is not their business because there is no connection there. I don't owe them money.

You got to have PR capital as well, and doing that would burn them out with the NBA, the team's next home and generally make them a bigger public enemy. That response acts like politics and PR don't matter. They do.
Burkle or no Burkle, it doesn't make much difference here because if the arena cannot be done in timely fashion, Burkle himself would move the team. He offered to buy the team and keep it in Sacramento provided that there is a new arena in place.

Lets not kid ourselves here, if you expected Maloofs to come back kissing your *** then you are living in la la land. Its never going to happen. Is the city of Sacramento going to apologize to the kings for pee farting around for well over a decade in trying to get the arena deal done?! I didn't think so!

This is a 2 way street where every party has a great deal of blame for the way things have panned out, fans included. So instead of being a sour *****, how about everybody man the **** up, put the past in the past and get the darn thing done. This bitter bitching is not going to do any one any good.

What has happened HAS to stay in the past and we MUST look to the future and figure out a way to keep this team for longer than 12 months. Expecting Maloofs to come back kissing your *** is certainly not the right way to go about it.

I don't think you're understanding the problem with Joe's interview.

edit: Just one issue to consider:

What happened never stays in the past, especially not when the problematic attitudes of the past persist in the present. This little bit of a PR opportunity was a chance to show how real the Maloofs are about a future in Sacramento. To show they're fully on board, they needed to be more forthright with the people. They were not. They fed the fans the same BS from before and then ended it with a ridiculous question as their defense.

If the Maloofs plan on being involved in the arena dealings, then they will be bringing in all their negative baggage to the table. This hurt in the past and can hurt now. If they wanted to really get this deal done, they'd make amends so as not to bring that harmful baggage to the table when trying to get an Arena deal done. They need to either be removed from arena dealings or make amends so as not to poison the well. They chose not to own up and make amends, and instead pretended that this was what they wanted.

Last edited:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Burkle or no Burkle, it doesn't make much difference here because if the arena cannot be done in timely fashion, Burkle himself would move the team. He offered to buy the team and keep it in Sacramento provided that there is a new arena in place.

Lets not kid ourselves here, if you expected Maloofs to come back kissing your *** then you are living in la la land. Its never going to happen. Is the city of Sacramento going to apologize to the kings for pee farting around for well over a decade in trying to get the arena deal done?! I didn't think so!

This is a 2 way street where every party has a great deal of blame for the way things have panned out, fans included. So instead of being a sour *****, how about everybody man the **** up, put the past in the past and get the darn thing done. This bitter bitching is not going to do any one any good.

What has happened HAS to stay in the past and we MUST look to the future and figure out a way to keep this team for longer than 12 months. Expecting Maloofs to come back kissing your *** is certainly not the right way to go about it.
Thumbs up, dude.

plus Joe said his family had a kind of gag order hanging over them for sometime which is the reason they were not making as many public statements as they wanted to - especially in defending themselves.
Now THAT is interesting.

I never even considered that. That gag order was from Samueli, absolutely no doubt. And wow. That brings a LOT into focus. No doubt Samueli said "If talk turkey you won't be saying a peep until I tell you".

Wow. So that was Samueli's strategy all along. Sounds like our franchise really was almost sharked by a duck name sam. That's actually an amazing revelation.

And he doesn't come out more loudly with that excuse because he wants to keep that Samueli door open.

Ha ha. Right on bro. Preach it!!

Its pretty easy to vilify the Maloofs for many people, but what is the point? Is calling Joe out on a stupid interview going to get us the funding we need? Is sending a nasty e-mail to the Maloofs going to get a plan in place before March 1st?

Rhetorical questions of course, but if there is one thing I have taken out of all of this it is that the other end of the spectrum, sending positive e-mails and trying to make a difference by contacting those in power and that actually can help us with this, can yield results. I don't give a rats about the past anymore, it just doesn't matter to me. I just want to be able to take my son to watch the team I love someday... in Sacramento!

If the Maloof's had just come and said something to the following:

Dear Sacramento Kings Fans,

As many of you know we have been in negotiations with the city of Sacramento for years trying to put together an arena deal to keep the Kings here in Sacramento. Arco arena is no longer financially viable for us as a team or a business. We had been dedicated to keeping the Kings here in Sacramento for the better part of 13 years, but the ongoing failures of the city has forced us to look elsewhere.

We are taking a strong look at moving the team because we believe it will be more financially viable for us to compete as a profitable business in another city at this moment. We never wanted to get here, but we feel that we have no other choice. We have always negotiated with the city in good faith. We cannot wait another year and hope something different happens.

We are saddened that this decision is being made, but as much as we love Sacramento and the fans, we also have a business to run and investors we have to answer to. For those reasons alone we are looking into the viability of moving our team to Anaheim.

(some sincere greeting)

The Maloof Family

Obv it would be longer etc. but I don't think anyone would have read that and thought "you a-holes!"

In light of the Joe's comments today on Grant, it is HIGHLY likely that Samueli put a gag order on their negotiations.

But the real question here is, as Brick says, are you willing to forgive... even what may now be mispercieved slights?

What happened never stays in the past, especially not when the problematic attitudes of the past persist in the present. This little bit of a PR opportunity was a chance to show how real the Maloofs are about a future in Sacramento. To show they're fully on board, they needed to be more forthright with the people. They were not. They fed the fans the same BS from before and then ended it with a ridiculous question as their defense.

If the Maloofs plan on being involved in the arena dealings, then they will be bringing in all their negative baggage to the table. This hurt in the past and can hurt now. If they wanted to really get this deal done, they'd make amends so as not to bring that harmful baggage to the table when trying to get an Arena deal done. They need to either be removed from arena dealings or make amends so as not to poison the well. They chose not to own up and make amends, and instead pretended that this was what they wanted.
I think you are getting hung up on little things instead of looking at the big picture! Here are the facts that matter in all this

1. Kings are in Sacramento for another season (if there is another season)
2. All the important parties are working exceptionally hard to get the arena plan finalized and approved (KJ, ICON/Taylor and the NBA).

THAT is the big picture here, not what the Maloofs have said on the radio or whether or not they are apologetic enough. I have said in the past, that if this was my team, purely from business perspective, I would have moved it 5 years ago.

We just experienced a miracle, they are back and we have a window until march next year to put our very best foot forward and get the darn thing done. Smart thing to do would be to not worry about petty little things like that and just get on with a freaking job.

Lets get the arena done and worry about these less important things later. There are much bigger fish to fry than what you are focusing on. No matter what they said, the venom from the fans would still be there.

People need to realize that this is NOT about the Maloofs. This is about Sacramento and their team that just happens to be owned by the Maloofs. What the area needs to do is show the team that love by attending games, getting that sell out streak up and running again and for the region to build an arena that will lock this team in for another 25-30 years and I can guarantee you that in that time, the team will not be owned by the Maloofs.

I think you are getting hung up on little things instead of looking at the big picture! Here are the facts that matter in all this

1. Kings are in Sacramento for another season (if there is another season)
2. All the important parties are working exceptionally hard to get the arena plan finalized and approved (KJ, ICON/Taylor and the NBA).

THAT is the big picture here, not what the Maloofs have said on the radio or whether or not they are apologetic enough. I have said in the past, that if this was my team, purely from business perspective, I would have moved it 5 years ago.

We just experienced a miracle, they are back and we have a window until march next year to put our very best foot forward and get the darn thing done. Smart thing to do would be to not worry about petty little things like that and just get on with a freaking job.

Lets get the arena done and worry about these less important things later. There are much bigger fish to fry than what you are focusing on. No matter what they said, the venom from the fans would still be there.

People need to realize that this is NOT about the Maloofs. This is about Sacramento and their team that just happens to be owned by the Maloofs. What the area needs to do is show the team that love by attending games, getting that sell out streak up and running again and for the region to build an arena that will lock this team in for another 25-30 years and I can guarantee you that in that time, the team will not be owned by the Maloofs.
You missed the biggest thing in all this.

http://www.sactownroyalty.com/2011/5/2/2150181/is-the-nba-committed-to-sacramento

The league isn't just sending foot soldiers to Sacramento -- it's sending generals. Brian McIntyre is basically the top PR man in the NBA -- he became David Stern's "senior communications advisor" last year after serving as the chief of the league's PR arm. We've discussed Chris Granger before -- he's the "troubleshooter" and will help sell tickets and sponsorships. More folks are coming with them.
Stern said Monday that the NBA will be intensely involved in the actual arena negotiations, which means that the Maloofs won't be able to ignore a good plan. No sandbagging allowed.

What Joe Maloof did was feed the fan the same lines the Maloofs were feeding the fans when in reality they were working with Anaheim and Samueli. Why he expects the fans to buy it now is insulting.

I wanted to comment on this. I dont agree with it ... The Maloofs didnt feed us anything.

When all this came out ( around the all star break?? cant rememeber ) The Maloofs basically went away. They didnt tell us what we wanted to hear. They didnt say they were staying or leaving, they said they didnt know .. They DID say they were talking with people about relocation.. They showed up for the "Here We Stay" game and Joe Maloof gave that wierd interview ... which basically said nothing was done. Now we know he wasnt kidding back then. Nothing was done.

If they were feeding us BS they would have denied the rumors from the get go. I think they could have said MORE ... but I dont feel lied too. I dont feel like they fed me BS. They basically stopped talking about it, which was probly suggested to them by the NBA and Samueli.

Another thing ... people are jumping on them for saying things like "We wanted to give it another chance" or "we decided to stay". Stern said during the conference call that there was no "arm twisting". That it was the Maloofs decision not to file.

Now, Im not that stupid .. We all know the NBA had a lot to do with the Maloofs staying here. BUT if Stern is going to say it, why are people getting upset with the Maloofs saying it ... They have to spin it like that. They just have too.

But the real question here is, as Brick says, are you willing to forgive... even what may now be mispercieved slights?
Yes yes... as we forgive we will be forgiven. Sacramento has been forgiven BIG TIME for failing to get an arena done. So I will extend forgiveness (not that it matters to them but it matters to me). And I don't even like the Maloofs... but I don't have room to hold a hardon for them now... we have to get an arena. Sacramento has been granted an unlikely mulligan we better not blow it or waste energy hating now.

What a freaking miracle has happened the last few weeks... wow.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
plus Joe said his family had a kind of gag order hanging over them for sometime which is the reason they were not making as many public statements as they wanted to - especially in defending themselves.
I take that with a grain of salt. It could have been a "self-imposed" gag order. He obviously didn't want to get into explaining what he meant by gag order.

The gag-order was from the NBA. At least I thought it was common knowledge at the time. It also applied during the NBA driven Cal Expo deal. The Maloofs had already poisoned the well and the NBA didn't want them making it worse.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The gag-order was from the NBA. At least I thought it was common knowledge at the time. It also applied during the NBA driven Cal Expo deal. The Maloofs had already poisoned the well and the NBA didn't want them making it worse.
Yeah, I'm not sure where the Samueli gag order idea came from -- I mean could have been, its common enough for parties negotiating a contract to agree not to talk about it, but never heard anything specific.

But the NBA's gag order we heard about as early as the first Here We Stay game when the Maloofs mentioned it and it was known that Stern's office did not think they should even show up to that game, let alone talk. Should note btw that the gag order is a bit of an excuse here, I doubt there was any legally binding order from anybody, more of just a "hey diarrhea mouths, shut the hell up for once so you don't blow this/get sued" effect. And since it was convenet for the Maloofs not tho talk, the "gag order" becomes a convenient excuse not to.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think you guys are missing some of swisshh's point. It's not just about shisshh and his feelings about the Maloofs. It's about the population at large and their feelings about the Maloofs. If the Maloofs continue to be perceived as BSers and as people who are dissapointed in general about Kings fans (The "how would you feel" line was priceless) and mere victims of Sacto politicians and other NBA owners, then that isn't exactly going to go very far in soliciting popular support. That popular support is KEY to this thing getting done. My take on the Joe Maloof interview is that he was an absolute mess. The guy is all over the map and he doesn't know where to land. He needed to come out with a clear explanation of what had been going on with him and his family. He didn't. Then he needed to come out with a proclamation that was clear and loud in which he promised to do everything in his power to work with K. Johnson and other regional leaders to get 'er done. He didn't. It was tepid at best "Sure....sure..." He might have just said: "Whatever..." Yes, the city fathers and other regional leaders need to work their rears off to get 'er done, but the Maloofs have to get it together and quit acting like millionare bumpkins who feel sorry for themselves. That kind of leadership is never going to get this thing done.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

At least your not biased.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

As far as I know, at the moment, they have nothing to do with the arena deal. Its out of their hands and into the hands of the Taylor group and Kevin Johnson. And until the time arrives when that group comes up with a feasable plan for everyone to sign off on, the Maloof's other than saying they fully support what Johnson is doing, have nothing to do with it.

Now its possible that when the time comes for them to sign off on whatever the final plan is, they might say its not good enough. And if so, then they'll be up for more criticism. I agree with Bricky, that if you expected them to come back hat in hand and kiss your a$$, then your not living in reality. To be honest, the little I know of you on this fourm, your the last persons A$$ I would kiss. You don't like the Maloof's! I get that. I haven't seen many posts by you over the years that show much excitement of anything the Kings have done. And thats all well and good. Your entitled to your one sided view of life. You just don't sound like a happy person to me. Life is too short man. Lighten up a little.

Just out of curiosity, just what was it you wanted Joe to say in that interview. I'm asking, because I don't want to put words in your mouth. And don't give me generalities, but specificially, word by word what you would have had him say.

Now its possible that when the time comes for them to sign off on whatever the final plan is, they might say its not good enough. And if so, then they'll be up for more criticism. I agree with Bricky, that if you expected them to come back hat in hand and kiss your a$$, then your not living in reality. To be honest, the little I know of you on this fourm, your the last persons A$$ I would kiss. You don't like the Maloof's! I get that. I haven't seen many posts by you over the years that show much excitement of anything the Kings have done. And thats all well and good. Your entitled to your one sided view of life. You just don't sound like a happy person to me. Life is too short man. Lighten up a little.
It's begining to sound more like the NBA will be making the deal not the Maloofs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's begining to sound more like the NBA will be making the deal not the Maloofs.
Yeah, I agree. Probably a good thing. Running an NBA team is a little different than running a beer distributership. Different kind of clientele. The more help the Maloofs have the better. Up to now I think they've been like little kids in the candy store. I'd probably be the same way if I had an NBA team dropped in my lap. Time to grow up and become more professional. Hiring Thomas should have been a red flag from the get go. It showed they didn't really know how to run the business side of the team, so they fell back on the last person they should have, without doing the proper research on the guy.

They lucked out having Petrie already in place. Judging from who they would have, or did hire as head coach, god knows who they might have hired to run the team? They fired Adelman, not because he was a bad coach, but because he didn't socialize well enough for them. They operated more from emotion, than good business sense. Of course its their emotional side that endeared them to the fans. And I suspose that if your a billionaire, like Cuban, it doesn't matter that much. But they're not, and all their mistakes caught up with them. So like kids, they tried to pick up their toys and move somewhere else. Except they're not kids and the King's aren't toys. Which they just found out.

Look, I'm not trying to lay all the blame at their feet. There's plenty of blame to go around on both sides. I just don't think that the city council really took them seriously at the beginning. In a negotiation process, your looking to see if the other party blinks. In the Maloof's case, they didn't blink. They simply weren't paying attention. So they wern't taken seriously. And so it dragged on for 10 to 12 years. And here we are!

Hopefully all parties have learned from the experience and something good will come from it. I could say I don't really care who owns the team, but that wouldn't be true. The arena is an important part of the equation, but once done, we don't go there to see the arena. At least not after the first few games. We go to see the team. So as long as the Maloofs are willing to use their resources to improve the product, then I'm just fine with them. I don't go to the arena to see them. But if they don't, then I would do everything im my limited power to force them out. Hope it doesn't come to that, and I don't think it will. But then I'm the eternal optimist.

Last edited:
As far as I know, at the moment, they have nothing to do with the arena deal. Its out of their hands and into the hands of the Taylor group and Kevin Johnson. And until the time arrives when that group comes up with a feasable plan for everyone to sign off on, the Maloof's other than saying they fully support what Johnson is doing, have nothing to do with it.
Within the interview, Joe talked like they were going to be a part of the arena process. Since then, it seems the NBA has watch dogs on them and KJ has already sent a message, so I hope they can't screw things up.

I am someone who "sees whats wrong in the world, but thinks that things can still change" or "someone who sees things for what they can be and not just what they seemingly are". I wouldn't consider myself negative. I am critical, but not defeatist, instead I think critically and look for solutions. How others percieve me is impacted by which side of an assumed debate they think they're on. I am not into the love/hate line of thinking.

Just out of curiosity, just what was it you wanted Joe to say in that interview. I'm asking, because I don't want to put words in your mouth. And don't give me generalities, but specificially, word by word what you would have had him say.
I had no strong expectations. I thought he might try to make a peace offering or be avoidant of the issue. I was surprised by his interview because it signaled no change in their behavior and perhaps that is what I expected, some sort of realization as to what just went on. You don't have to openly admit you got told to not move, but that doesn't force you into actively spouting that you have no debt and wanted to make this decision, and it was always your decision.

What would I have him say? Do you mean what I thought would have been better for his own good? Or what?

If the Maloof's had just come and said something to the following:

Dear Sacramento Kings Fans,

As many of you know we have been in negotiations with the city of Sacramento for years trying to put together an arena deal to keep the Kings here in Sacramento. Arco arena is no longer financially viable for us as a team or a business. We had been dedicated to keeping the Kings here in Sacramento for the better part of 13 years, but the ongoing failures of the city has forced us to look elsewhere.

We are taking a strong look at moving the team because we believe it will be more financially viable for us to compete as a profitable business in another city at this moment. We never wanted to get here, but we feel that we have no other choice. We have always negotiated with the city in good faith. We cannot wait another year and hope something different happens.

We are saddened that this decision is being made, but as much as we love Sacramento and the fans, we also have a business to run and investors we have to answer to. For those reasons alone we are looking into the viability of moving our team to Anaheim.

(some sincere greeting)

The Maloof Family

Obv it would be longer etc. but I don't think anyone would have read that and thought "you a-holes!"
They didn't have to come out with this. The writing was on the wall. Plain and simple. I don't know what to tell people that couldn't understand this or figure it out.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
After all that has transpired it will take a while for me to trust the Maloofs. They are still saying contradictory remarks, like "we are not going into this with a big checkbook" then later saying they have plenty of money and are going to spend. So I don't think I will be forgiving them, at least not yet.

I can still support the team though, while not liking the owner. There have been lots of fans that love their team but despise their owner. Donald Sterling, George Shinn, James Dolan, or the infamous Art Modell come to mind.

Damn if you, Damn if you don't.

I'm happy to move on. And if we get an Arena and the Kings stay for years to come, I have no problem cheering for the Kings along side the Maloofs. Didn't realize people require the Maloofs to say certain things for them to be able to happily move on.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They didn't have to come out with this. The writing was on the wall. Plain and simple. I don't know what to tell people that couldn't understand this or figure it out.
Well, the Sacramento community knew that a deal was going to need to get done sooner or later. But let me give you a quote from Joe Maloof. It was in the Sacramento Bee on July 24th, 2010. That's last summer. For context, Ailene had asked him about rumors that people were contacting the Maloofs and trying to convince the Maloofs to move the team:

We don't want to hear about those people. Who are these people, anyway? I think they just want to get their names in the paper. We want to hear about getting our team better and getting people back in the building. Now, it's a fact of life that cities that don't have NBA teams go after them. There are only 30 franchises; they're jewels. But we're not interested. We have a team and a wonderful community and we're committed to turning it all around in Sac.
This is polar opposite of the proposed letter above. If the public face of the franchise says what I quoted there, and then becomes immediately involved (if he was not already involved) in negotiations to move the team, you don't see where the betrayal is? They didn't say, "We're looking into moving because you can't get an arena done" and then look into moving. They said, "We're not interested [in moving]...we're committed to turning it all around in Sac" and then, instead of helping through the Mayor's Task Force and subsequent Taylor/ICON arena attempts, they...immediately looked into moving. You don't see the betrayal there?