Angela Tsai....Why?

N

Nikefutbolero

No offense to this girl because I'm sure shes a nice person but why do they keep putting her on air? She does not have the personality to be reporting from the sidelines. When she talks, it's obvious shes reading. When she does interviews, it feels really awkward.

:confused:

We've chatted numerous times about this here. She has no talent was the overwhelming opinion. Probably just playing out the string on her contract with the Kings - hopefully.

I know what you all mean, it makes me cringe every time she gets on air. She hasn't improved at all from earlier in the season. She is awkward, has no charisma, and is a poor interviewer.

I normally would start a post like this with something along the lines of, "she's a nice person" or "you have to respect her effort" but ever since she came on this site and accused those who critized of being sexist I lost all respect that I ever would have for her.

She basically said that we hated her because she is a woman and not only that but an attractive one...whatever.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... I normally would start a post like this with something along the lines of, "she's a nice person" or "you have to respect her effort" but ever since she came on this site and accused those who critized of being sexist I lost all respect that I ever would have for her.

She basically said that we hated her because she is a woman and not only that but an attractive one...whatever.
To call this hyperbole would be a gross understatement.

Her exact words were:

... I've been in Sacramento for a little over a month now and absolutely love my job. No bull, coming from a tried-and-true New Yorker. Now, when I first got here I didn't have any live game experience, and I'll be the first to admit that I've definitely had to adjust to that. Since I started, I've received constructive criticisms from my directors and fans alike, and have been working hard on the technical game aspects of the broadcast. I may not be as extreme of a basketball expert like my esteemed colleagues -- a former NBA coach (Jerry Reynolds) or a broadcaster in this market for 20 years (Grant Napear) -- but I've got definite opinions on the game, I'm learning every minute and I bring a breadth of hosting experience talking to NBA players and personalities to the table. And like many of you, I am a FAN.

And yes, I am a new face -- and female to boot -- in a sports world dominated by men, and that's sure to provoke turmoil (as seen on these boards). I'm realistic -- I'd be remiss if I didn't expect a certain amount of hostility or chauvinistic comments about my appearance etc. So I'm not concerned about that. But here's the thing: in the brief time I've been here, Sac fans have proven to me how adaptable and supportive they are in times of good AND bad. I know change is scary, guys, but would you still love your Kings if they weren't dynamic, if there weren't stories constantly fueling your message boards, if there wasn't drama?
If you got "we hated her because she is a woman and not only that but an attractive one" out of that, well... you were determined to find it.

Last edited:
lol :D
i can't stand her either when she comes on the t.v to do the play by play
she has absolutely no clue what she is talking about.she says the most obvious things. you can tell that she is just reading from the cue card.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
And yet...

I bet she can smile and wave a towel at the same time.

I bet she cost less than $5M a year.

Those alone makes her better value than a lot of MS&E contracts.

Better value? She'd have to first have some value at what she does. She is in the wrong job.

"yes, I am a new face -- and female to boot -- in a sports world dominated by men, and that's sure to provoke turmoil (as seen on these boards)."

Translation: You are sexist pigs and judge me harshly because I am a woman.

What part of that did you miss slim?:D

Ah, give her a break. She's alright, what she is doing ain't all that easy. They really do put her in difficult situations with what I assume is very little time to prepare.

Luckily I missed her segment. However, just reading that she had an on air appearance still makes me feel uncomfortable like I actually saw it. :p

"yes, I am a new face -- and female to boot -- in a sports world dominated by men, and that's sure to provoke turmoil (as seen on these boards)."

You missed that translation.

By a lot.

Had I been the one in her position and perused a message board to find comments requesting that I just stand there and look pretty instead of opening my mouth, or mentioning on how much more tolerable I was with the volume off, I can pretty much guarantee that my response would not have been anywhere near as restrained as hers was. She may very well be a lousy sideline reporter, and there may very well be plenty of people who don't hold that opinion just because she's a hot chick, but there were several threads/posts regarding her performance earlier this season that were incredibly chauvinistic.

Now, I will say that the fact that her post in this thread was identical to her posts on other Kings boards raises the legitimate question of whether or not she actually read any of those comments, but that doesn't negate the fact that they were made.

Last edited:
Angela Tsai makes me Wanna Cry

She is completely awful, maybe she should just be a writer or something because she is definitely not a tv personality at all.

S

sactownfan

She's bad... I'd be down if she was hotter... Then i'd expect the dumb comments... but wouldn't notice

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
She's bad... I'd be down if she was hotter... Then i'd expect the dumb comments... but wouldn't notice

Oh my. Now see...those are the sorts of comments that just pour fire on the whole sexism thing (which otherwise I don't buy -- if anything I think the sexism in sports is that we expect and accept the sideline/fluff reporters to be women, but have a problem accepting them as analysts).

I think that her being a female shouldn't hold her back about being more open on her reporting. Like many have said, she sounds like she's reading cue cards and there's hardly any emotion on her. I think it's tough on her because there isn't that much support for her when she does her sideline report. Maybe its the big city girl, small town syndrome that we're not liking in this community. Her comments about the crowd being loud in Arco was just her trying to give respect to the fans that showed up for fan appreciation night. I wouldn't look into it too much more, it's not like she's been to a Kings playoff game before. (If she has though, shame on her.)

I like when cute chics say things like that. Oblivious to how much leeway that already buys her from the get-go.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It occurs to me there's probably a significant percentage of people being critical in this thread who watch between 85-95% of their Kings games on the Kings' broadcast, and tend not to watch other teams at all when they're not playing the Kings. Sideline reporters tend to not be very good anywhere; even the very best aren't very good, and none of them are particularly essential to the game.

I think that it's a fair criticism to say that most of her live segments have been awkward; I happen to think that her post-production stuff, like the "perspective" segments, have been quite good. I think that appearing to not be aware of Arco's history of being very loud is fair criticism, but not not to the level that has been expressed here.

You know what would really be cool? If the people who think that she's not doing a good job offered something more constructive than "OMGZSHEISTEHSUX0RSLOLWTFBBQ!!!!!111" I mean, it would be different if she'd been doing this for twenty years... or, hell, even three years. But what she's doing now, judging by a quick glance at her website, doesn't seem to me to relate directly to anything that's she's done before. Maybe it's just me, because I've always worked in technical jobs, but I've never met anybody who'd mastered their job in a year. If she's still making rookie mistakes next year, that'd be one thing, but people seem to be holding her to the same standards as sideline reporters that have been doing that for years and years.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It occurs to me there's probably a significant percentage of people being critical in this thread who watch between 85-95% of their Kings games on the Kings' broadcast, and tend not to watch other teams at all when they're not playing the Kings. Sideline reporters tend to not be very good anywhere; even the very best aren't very good, and none of them are particularly essential to the game.

I think that it's a fair criticism to say that most of her live segments have been awkward; I happen to think that her post-production stuff, like the "perspective" segments, have been quite good. I think that appearing to not be aware of Arco's history of being very loud is fair criticism, but not not to the level that has been expressed here.

You know what would really be cool? If the people who think that she's not doing a good job offered something more constructive than "OMGZSHEISTEHSUX0RSLOLWTFBBQ!!!!!111" I mean, it would be different if she'd been doing this for twenty years... or, hell, even three years. But what she's doing now, judging by a quick glance at her website, doesn't seem to me to relate directly to anything that's she's done before. Maybe it's just me, because I've always worked in technical jobs, but I've never met anybody who'd mastered their job in a year. If she's still making rookie mistakes next year, that'd be one thing, but people seem to be holding her to the same standards as sideline reporters that have been doing that for years and years.
While I agree with what you say, I don't know if some of the criticism is off base. The sexist comments are (off base), because frankly most of the sports-watching crowd (all things being equal) would obviously rather see an attractive female doing the bit pieces. Angela is new at this and has been doing better. I don't think, however, she has grown into the role as well as Kayte has on the HPL show. I think Kayte is finding her groove there and fits in well.

Frankly, I think most sports programs try to shove too much sideline nonsense into the program. If Angela does well in the post-production stuff, for example, and she enjoys that part of it, maybe an expanded role could be found there that fits her strengths. If she enjoys the sideline reporting and they want to continue that, maybe she can continue to practice/train and improve in that area, and I would assume that she does/is doing so. Frankly I tend to tune out most of what is going on if I don't see players on the screen....

I do think the question about the noise level was pretty bad and worthy of criticism. I saw that and just groaned. I mean, she obviously did very little research or has little historical knowledge about the Kings fans/arena to put that one out there. You would think that after a year on the job she would have picked up on how loud the arena used to be a few years ago. Heck, just ask Brad, he'd tell you.

To call this hyperbole would be a gross understatement.

Her exact words were:

And yes, I am a new face -- and female to boot -- in a sports world dominated by men, and that's sure to provoke turmoil (as seen on these boards). I'm realistic -- I'd be remiss if I didn't expect a certain amount of hostility or chauvinistic comments about my appearance etc. So I'm not concerned about that. But here's the thing: in the brief time I've been here, Sac fans have proven to me how adaptable and supportive they are in times of good AND bad. I know change is scary, guys, but would you still love your Kings if they weren't dynamic, if there weren't stories constantly fueling your message boards, if there wasn't drama?

If you got "we hated her because she is a woman and not only that but an attractive one" out of that, well... you were determined to find it.
Slim, we all tend to exaggerate in our posts for emphasis but let's look at the above quote which you posted from her, which she posted on every Kings fans board imaginable BTW. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to find the hints of accused sexism in that. If you can't see it then maybe you were determined not to find it.

I can only speak for myself and what I have read but I have no problem with her being a woman, I have no problem with her appearance, and I have no problem with change. I also have never read any posts from this site which were chauvinistic, maybe there were on other sites, I don't know.

You also mentioned in another post to watch other teams' sideline reporters and see how bad they are. Well, I am a Kings fan and unless it bares significance to the Kings' playoff chances or I have a bet on it I don't care about watching other teams and I certainly don't care about watching their sideline reporters. All I know is that the Kings broadcasts have been very well done over the years and now a person is on it that literally makes me change the channel until she's done.

So, my comments aside about how I feel she views us, the main point is simply the title of this thread, "Angela Tsai...Why?"

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Kara Lawson is a very good sideline reporter

or was until she got a job at espn, now she talks about women's basketball on one of those mini espn blurbs