Andre Miller

I would be ecstatic if he played two more years after this one for the kings.

He can slide into an assistant for George Karl and maybe take over as head coach, once Karl is ready to retire.

Andre Miller was absolutely bad ass. Those quick passes were a pleasure to see. He seemed to always know how to direct the ball toward the person with the best chance to do something good with it. I want to keep him either on the floor or on the bench (as a mentor or coach) as long as we can. The stuff the Professor has in his head is the stuff our guys need to know.

This one game IS only one game, but.......
If he can play consistently like this for the Kings, it is a huge indictment of both the Kings' management AND the fanbase.

All I've heard for years from this fanbase when telling them we need seasoned VETERANS on this team (whoever they are) is "Oh, that guy's ancient - he can't produce anymore.... too likely to get injured..... etc etc etc"

Well, you all saw what a veteran can do out there (even if he's "old")-
school the youngsters on how to play the game.
This guy's been to the circus, you know what I'm saying? He's been to the puppet show and he's seen the strings.

There have been countless vets that would have helped this team the past decade, from Andre Miller to Vince Carter to Shane Battier to Pau Gasol to Rajon Rondo to Tony Parker to Tayshaun Prince and many many more.

Leaving aside the questions of "How much would they have been" and "Would they play for us?", THIS is why the Kings have needed some for a decade.
They stabilize the game - they don't throw away many precious, game-killing turnovers. They run the offense and allow the team a chance to not self-destruct when the game tightens up in the 4th.

My serious question after this game is -
after Darren Collison gets back and plays healthy, who is going to be running the team in the 4th quarter when it gets tight?
He or Andre Miller?

I think Miller may be THAT good at running this team.
Certainly better than any PG we've had since Beno (and he wasn't the best, but since then... whoof!).

I can't wait to see if Andre can work on some plays with Demarcus and finally be that PG who can figure out a way to get the big man some consistent easy buckets.
If that happens, you may well see him averaging 30 points per game (if he could get the easy set-up stuff that most every other big man has been spoonfed their dominant years).

I really wish we had gotten a steady vet PG back 5+ years ago.
It's really pretty pathetic when a 38 year old Andre Miller may well be the best PG at running this team in 10 years....

If he can play consistently like this for the Kings, it is a huge indictment of both the Kings' management AND the fanbase.

All I've heard for years from this fanbase when telling them we need seasoned VETERANS on this team (whoever they are) is "Oh, that guy's ancient - he can't produce anymore.... too likely to get injured..... etc etc etc"

This guy's been to the circus, you know what I'm saying? He's been to the puppet show and he's seen the strings.

There have been countless vets that would have helped this team the past decade, from Andre Miller to Vince Carter to Shane Battier to Pau Gasol to Rajon Rondo to Tony Parker to Tayshaun Prince and many many more.

Leaving aside the questions of "How much would they have been" and "Would they play for us?", THIS is why the Kings have needed some for a decade.
They stabilize the game - they don't throw away many precious, game-killing turnovers. They run the offense and allow the team a chance to not self-destruct when the game tightens up in the 4th.

after Darren Collison gets back and plays healthy, who is going to be running the team in the 4th quarter when it gets tight?
He or Andre Miller?

Certainly better than any PG we've had since Beno (and he wasn't the best, but since then... whoof!).

I can't wait to see if Andre can work on some plays with Demarcus and finally be that PG who can figure out a way to get the big man some consistent easy buckets.
If that happens, you may well see him averaging 30 points per game (if he could get the easy set-up stuff that most every other big man has been spoonfed their dominant years).

It's really pretty pathetic when a 38 year old Andre Miller may well be the best PG at running this team in 10 years....
I hear what you're saying but it takes the coach as well. And Collison was/is actually really good at running the team, and I think he's a perfect student for Miller.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

There is a huge difference between signing a productive veteran and signing Chuck Hayes to a four year contract.

The productive seasoned veterans usually join contending teams to have a shot at the title or at least play in the playoffs. The only chance to get those guys for SAC via FA was to overpay them and if we do so, like in the case of Landry, the majoritiy of the fans are upset. ;) Even if we got them via trade, they were reluctant to play here - I'm talking to you Mr. Terry. :mad:
Once we reach the playoffs and prove ourself as a team moving forward our chances to sign some of these guys will improve all of the sudden.

His numbers have been way down the past few seasons, but that's because he's been behind star PGs in Lawson and Wall. Give him 25-30 minutes a game, and he can still be a vital cog.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
His numbers have been way down the past few seasons, but that's because he's been behind star PGs in Lawson and Wall. Give him 25-30 minutes a game, and he can still be a vital cog.
I don't think that kind of workload is realistic at 39. But I do think once DC comes back that he can be very steady in 12-15 min a night helping to correct the nightly bench fade we've had all season.

I don't think that kind of workload is realistic at 39. But I do think once DC comes back that he can be very steady in 12-15 min a night helping to correct the nightly bench fade we've had all season.
That's exactly what we need. Having a bench that doesn't completely suck, will go a long way.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
In addition to playing small but important min behind DC, Miller will be invaluable as a mentor to Ray and a safety valve that makes putting Ray in for a stretch a low risk proposition.

And the fact that you just can't have Andre out there vs a lot of PGs these days for extended minutes. Smart was a great match-up for him because despite the vast difference in athleticism, Andre just sagged off him about 3 feet since he can't shoot. Can't do that vs Steph, Westy, Cp3, etc.

The 12-15 min is Exactly what he needs to be in and exactly what we need behind Collison. I can also see him being in the "Derek Fisher old guy" role he was in with OKC at the end of games where we just have a steady presence on the floor with DC.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bingo! We had a productive bench last night, and one could argue that at times the bench outplayed the starters. And Miller had a lot to do with that. He directed the production and got them easy shots, some of which were missed. I've always liked Miller, and a couple of years ago when he was available, I was one that advocated going after him. I seem to remember some on this forum being critical of Miller because of some comments he made about the team he was departing. Too old to remember the details, but last night is an example of why the OP, I, and some others wanted him on the team.

He's one of the least athletic players in the NBA, and yet he's always been able to get where ever he wants on the court. He seldom turns the ball over (thank god), and if you leave him open, he can hit his shot. He doesn't just dribble to be dribbling. He dribbles with a plan, and make no mistake, he makes it plain who is running the show when he's on the floor. The Kings have needed someone like him for a long time. Give him 12 to 15 minutes a night, and those 12 to 15 minutes might end up having the most impact on the game. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in at the end of most games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

He or Andre Miller?

While I agree that a veteran presence is a good thing, I disagree with your contention that everyone around here was against such an acquisition. I recall any number of us crying for the addition of a veteran to help bring stability and knowledge to the locker room.

It's not just getting a seasoned veteran. It's having a coach who knows how to utilize him. Without both who knows what might have happened, but luckily that's one thing we do not have to worry about.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I expect Miller and Collison to be playing at the end of many games.

I'm not banking on McCallum being the pg backup in the future, much less the starter. The acclaim of McCallum seems to have faded considerably.

Last night was the peak of what he brings with a good matchup, but still a perfect player on a team with an established starter and fringe young 3rd pg.