Amick: Dancer debacle

Do you have problems with the actions of the dancers (now being called Dancer-gate)?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 69 88.5%

• Total voters

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You know, the great majority of comments posted in response to the Bee's articles seem to have been, what's the big deal? 3/4 people in this poll are saying what's the big deal. It occurs to me that this is almost a media creation. The standard "isn't it horrible?" media rant that most people just kind of shrug about. Young women having a little fun, in private. Let he, or she, who managed to come through their late teens/early 20s without a few indiscretions raise his/her hand. Outside of media circles this is a "scandal" only if you thought a bunch of 20-something attractive dancers spent their off hours knitting throw rugs. There is nothing illegal here, nothing that affected their performance on the court (which would be a trivial issue anyway). There in fact would be no story here had somebody not had a camera.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's not about anyone here raising their hands. And it's not particularly about what the dancers do or don't do in private. This wasn't private - it was while they were on Arco property. The dance team has had rules FOR YEARS forbidding this kind of behavior for the simple reason they didn't want it to become more about their indiscretions than about their "dancing."

It's obvious you don't think it's a big deal but you need to at least have the details straight.

For some it's a continuation of the smarmy atmsophere that has surrounded the Kings for a while now. Stupid big 6's and gold lamé uniforms AND cheesy burger commercials AND the ties to gambling and the "party" lifestyle just aren't what some envision for the team they've followed for many years.

It's not a right or wrong thing. Some people aren't going to have a problem at all. And, according to the voting here so far - which might or might not be truly representative - the vast majority doesn't have that much of a problem.

But for those who do have a problem, it's a problem. Tossing out things like "knitting throw rugs," etc. doesn't change that in any way.

Local perception of the Kings has already taken enough hits, IMHO. This is just something stupid that didn't have to happen. Those girls can do whatever they like BUT could they at least show they have higher IQs than their bra sizes when it comes to posting the pictures on the Internet and then trying to downplay it when the you-know-what hits the fan?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Is what the did a big deal? Only in the fact they were at their place of employment wearing their uniforms, I would think....

These "girls" (adult young women) are amateur dancers dancers - not dentists for Crikes sakes. I expect a certain amount of nonsense out of such everyday bimbos (non-PC reality), but I don't expect it to explode like the biggest story since Roger Clemens testified before our esteemed Congress of the United States. I hope their ridiculous 15 minutes of fame goes away fast so we don't find out that some of them are getting Playboy magazine spreads. Then again, it beats the latest round of never-ending Britney Spears boring drama.

These girls/women are just being sexy women and having fun. This is what attractive young women do in many cases. They are hot, I say bring on more pictures.

These girls change with each other, they've seen each other naked, being in their underwear is no big deal. I don't even see any guys involved. It was girls just being girly, sexy and having fun.

I see absolutely no problem with this. I know girls who have girls nights, drink and have fun like this, I also been at parties where the girls have shown off in this manner.

These girls are dancers, they like attention. I call these types attention whores, they love the limelight, they can dance, and they have a body and looks that a lot of women wish they had.

Women not in the spotight indulge in this type of activity on a weekly basis, i'm sure there are cheerleaders on other basketball teams that have little parties for themselves just like this, they just didn't let the pictures get out. That was their only mistake.

As for the fact of them being on Arco property...honestly who cares. Someone show me documentation of an employee handbook for the cheerleaders that says no taking of pictures in your underwear on the property, then I'll say ok. I would admit that it was against policy, and that would still be the only bad thing.

Of course the Maloofs would they were not ok with the behavior, what do you expect them to say? It's just PR. If the Maloofs were there when the pictures were being taken they'd be in the middle of it, you can bet on that

Last edited:
Yeah, it gives the team a bad image. Like you said, had they not been wearing the jerseys, it would be different.

A bad image?? I don't get that. These women aren't even a member of the team. What did they do that was so bad?? Drink and pose in their underwear??

There is nothing wrong with that. They were having fun for christ sake.

Alright, what is the big deal? I came to Kingsfans on my break today and I was prepared for anything. Some water cooler conversation at work led me to believe these women were wearing next to nothing. I watched the 5:00 news while I was working out and they seemed to indicate that I was about to witness the most lude photographs this side of Playboy. They even showed a teaser of four women bare legged from the leg down, as if to indicate that it was much too risque to show anymore. So I got home, tried to access the site that the Sacbee.com story referenced. The pictures were no longer there! My curiosity was peaking now. I did a quick Google search and found another site hosting the pics. What I saw did not in any stretch live up to the hype. It was marginally more indecent then the typical Kings game performance. I don't even think it would count as rated R cinematography. There isn't any nipple shots, no topless shots of any fashion, and the worst shot of them all is them bending partially over wearing thong underwear. I mean, WTF? Is this what makes front page news? Women taking semi- scantily-clad pictures of themselves in private months ago? This is one of the leading stories on the 5:00 news? I mean, really? This is way overblown.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
WTF? They represent the Sacramento Kings. They were partying - from what's been said - ON COMPANY PROPERTY. That alone makes it wrong as it's been a fundamental rule forever that you don't do that.

Marginally more indecent than a Kings game performance is not a standard I would be proud of.

Basketball teams don't have to have dance teams. If I recall, other teams have suspended their dancers for taking things a little too far.

If there are policies prohibiting the dancer's actions, then MSE is justified in taking whatever steps they feel is appropriate. But really, do we need National media coverage for cheerleaders in their underwear? The media coverage and outrage is what concerns me. Its completely unnecessary and overblown.

You know, I'm wondering whether those pics were from the 2006 dance team's office Christmas party, i.e., an at least semi-sanctioned event. As the original Sac Bee blog entry pointed out, December 2006 does seem like when they were taken. And I've known employers to suspend the no-alcohol rule for an after-hours office party.

In which case, it may be that the only rule they've broken was "don't let people take pictures you might later regret."

WTF? They represent the Sacramento Kings. They were partying - from what's been said - ON COMPANY PROPERTY. That alone makes it wrong as it's been a fundamental rule forever that you don't do that.

Marginally more indecent than a Kings game performance is not a standard I would be proud of.

Basketball teams don't have to have dance teams. If I recall, other teams have suspended their dancers for taking things a little too far.
party pooooper!!!!

I'm seriously trying to see what about these pictures is any worse/more offensive than the pictures taken for the ridiculous "who's got the hottest dance team?" contest put on by nba.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Come on, G3. We both learned a LONG time ago that we do not see anything close to eye-to-eye on stuff like this. I respect your opinion but disagree with it, although I do agree the contest you mention was ridiculous, to say the least. My own thought is that there just isn't a need for scantily-clad females with the apparent IQ of grapefruit to be part of the whole Sacramento Kings experience. I know that's a minority opinion but I actually attend the games to see the game, not a bunch of "dancers"...unless, of course, we're talking about the hip-hop kids. I think they're great entertainment.

Again, show me proof. You aren't a member of the organization as far as I know. I do know you have contact with someone, at least a friend of a friend.

You LOVE proving people wrong, so get me the documentation, scan it and post it. Until then that's your assumption. You may think it's common sense, but unless a company provides verbiage specifically stating that, then it's left wide open.

The dancers could not be held accountable, or have ANY kind of disciplinary action taken against them if it has not been stated in some form that this type of activity is not permitted.

Regardless of all of that, the conservative nature of some of the people on this board shock me. This is a NON STORY. They are dancers. They are young, attractive women that like attention. As I said in a previous post, this sort of activity happens all over the country, correction, all over the world every week.

Anyone who is offended by these very tame photo's that were taken in fun should get out of more. And that's MY opinion.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Doc - I'm posting my opinion. The part about the company property was in Amick's blog. And when Cara Bennett was still on the Royal Court Dancers, her mom posted here on occasion. I remember her talking about the code of conduct of the dancers.

You're making personal attacks and that's not acceptible. Discuss the issue all you like, disagree with me all you like, but keep the personal insults out of it. Whether I'm conservative or liberal is of no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand.

If they didn't have the dancers, I would still pay to go see the Kings. But if they didn't have the Kings, I certainly wouldn't pay to see the dancers. That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it - but attacking me over it is just a little silly, don't you think?

i dont give a rats butt about the dancers at the game. but because they are the kings dancers gives me one thing to be proud of my team about this week

Doc - I'm posting my opinion. The part about the company property was in Amick's blog. And when Cara Bennett was still on the Royal Court Dancers, her mom posted here on occasion. I remember her talking about the code of conduct of the dancers.

You're making personal attacks and that's not acceptible. Discuss the issue all you like, disagree with me all you like, but keep the personal insults out of it. Whether I'm conservative or liberal is of no relevance whatsoever to the topic at hand.

If they didn't have the dancers, I would still pay to go see the Kings. But if they didn't have the Kings, I certainly wouldn't pay to see the dancers. That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it - but attacking me over it is just a little silly, don't you think?

VF do not get holier than thou with me please. That's not called for. You rip people on those board all the time. And, no I don't have any specific examples, I have better things to do than track people's posts.

It's always been ok for you to post your opinion, but not ok for others when you disagree. Calling someone conservative is not a personal attack, nor was your name attached to it. My view is that anyone that has a problem with these pictures is extremely conservate. That's my opinion and not a personal attack.

You can disagree with me all you like, as I can disagree with you, but please do not try and make my post sound as if it was not abiding by the rules of this board, just because you don't like my opinion. Thanks.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was not getting "holier than thou." If you took it that way, I apologize.

DocHolliday said:
Regardless of all of that, the conservative nature of some of the people on this board shock me. This is a NON STORY. They are dancers. They are young, attractive women that like attention. As I said in a previous post, this sort of activity happens all over the country, correction, all over the world every week.

Anyone who is offended by these very tame photo's that were taken in fun should get out of more. And that's MY opinion.
That sounded like a personal attack against me, especially since you quoted me in your post. I'm clearly in the minority here, but there are people who feel the same way I do. I'm honestly trying to explain our side. Your side and that of the majority of people is pretty easy to understand.

Peace.

As they say on cable news, hopefully this is just another 24 hour news cycle story and will be forgotten in no time. Dancer-gate or whatever it's become is certainly not worth any more national media attention or headaches around here. The Kings organization says they'll handle it "internally," which presumably means they'll investigate it and hand out discipline if need be.

Just imagine, if Artest gets shipped off to Houston or Bibby to Atlanta over this All-Star weekend, we'll all be chattering up, up and away over some new Kings in town and not this silly nonsense.

What is the difference between what the girls did(drinking in ARCO) compared to what athletes do when they win and celebrate with drinking?

Okeeee.......having now gotten all caught up in my reading...I'm not sure I'm completely in the "I'm outraged" or even the "what's the big deal" category although I'm much much closer to the "roll my eyes about the Maloofs hypocrisy about family entertainment" Gavin, nice touch btw with the smoking jacket and the Victoria Secret/Playboy-esque photo..with some of your employees....very nice...:rolleyes:

But I'm looking at the picture of the dance team (in the Monarchs lockerroom for goodness sakes, do they rent that out for parties or damn something in the goshforsaken long damn offseason?!?!?! WTH is that about?)

Anywhoo...like I said, I'm looking at THOSE incriminating photos...and you mean to tell me that the ENTIRE dance team can show up, with damn caterers AND damn catered food which looks to be set out on catered platters and tables and tablecloths...AND have bottles of alcohol which are supposedly off limits or otherwise not allowed on company property and nobody notice all this happening? That is RIGHT off the security desk for goodness sakes. Do they get to have the run of the place? Did MSE get lax with their policies and this is the outgrowth of that, or did the dance team really actually cater a party to take place with them in "uniform" WITH company props AND nobody know this went on until the Bee and other media outlets got wind of the pictures? That's not jiving with me at the moment. And if MSE and their lax policies or enforcement of same got out of hand an is causing the embarassment right now, AND these women take the fall for it?

As for the ones taken off company property, it's unfortunate that one of them figured photos of their partying could show up on a MySpace page like THAT wasn't going to come back and bite them in the court of public embarassment. But I really don't care what they do on their own time (which I suspect could be conceivably worse than getting drunk and taking pictures of themselves in that state of doing things I would *hope* they wouldn't do sober or if they thought a half a million people would see them doing). The totality of the pictures of them in their dance "uniforms" is what makes this problematic for MS&E with these.

I hope the front office is so outraged by this that the bikini/daisy dukes video that they had up of the team comes down, and anything showing their midrift comes down along with anything sexually suggestive comes down from their site and their promotional materials. Otherwise I'm going to cry hypocrisy....again....

. My own thought is that there just isn't a need for scantily-clad females with the apparent IQ of grapefruit to be part of the whole Sacramento Kings experience.

WOW isn't that a little too harsh and judge mental. I mean come on just because SOME of the dancers are "scantily-clad females" does not mean they are stupid.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I finally got a look at the pictures and the first thing that popped into my mind was that someone threw a party for them and the most likely person had the last name "Maloof." I don't have a clue as to whether that is true or not but it is at least moderately possible. It certainly would help explain how all the drinks, cakes, strawberries, etc. got sneaked into ARCO. They didn't need to be sneaked in.

2nd thing I noticed was the color of the drinks. It looks like a peach drink. I haven't had a drink in quite awhile but it doesn't look like anything alcoholic I've ever had. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of alcohol could tell me what exactly it was that they were drinking. Perhaps the camera wasn't set right. Perhaps in the processing of the pictures the color took on a peach look.

These are just observations. As to conclusions, I cannot for the life of me think that the drinking in ARCO wasn't authorized because if there are rules against it, a lot of people looked the other way.