Alright, we got the 8th pick, options...

Call orlando and offer Ben/8 for Embiid at 4. I'll take my chances on Embiid and play him 28mpg. People might say no but you could always find shooters and free agency.
No.

Let me expound upon that. Of all the recent rumors to come out, I don't recall them mentioning the Kings throwing in Ben on the deal. Maybe we don't have to include him in order to get something of value back.

Here is the other thing. You don't typically want to trade a big guy for a small guy. If you're going to entice Orlando to give up a big man draft pick, it is usually easier to do if you offer a big man in return. JT & DWill maybe.

Last edited:
Orlando could still end up with a good player at 8 that they like; Vonleh or Smart and get Ben for their trouble. No risk on Embiid. I like it, but I have a feeling either the 76'ers will draft Embiid or trade the pick to another team that wants him. Not sure how the Kings could entice the Sixers with the 8th and Ben. Kings are pretty tied up without being able to trade a future #1, maybe a blessing in disguise?

As always, consider the source:

Follow
NBA Central‏@TheNBACentral

The Cavs, Kings and Celtics are in trade talks involving Rondo to Sacramento an unnamed players to Cleveland & Boston getting the 1st Pick.
I'm assuming the #8 is going out from us even tho it's not mentioned and also no mention of us getting a later pick back. Anyone else see how rondo did coming back from injury? I just remember him taking games off and easing his way back but was he close to pre injury rondo? I just don't know if it's worth giving up the 8 for a rondo rental when there are other possible rumored trades out there. Ie afflalo + 12, a suns pick plus player, a bulls pick plus Gibson or butler.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'd consider trading up for Embiid, but I don't think I'd be willing to include McLemore as part of the deal. We have nothing going at SG if McLemore is gone and Embiid probably won't be ready to play until 2015. If drafting Embiid is already a risk, throwing your previous draft pick into the bargain is too much. I'm not seeing a lot of possibilities though for trading up that don't include McLemore. Utah and Orlando both made pretty good offers to Cleveland to pick #1 so it could be Cleveland with the 4th or 5th pick and nobody knows who they actually want. Maybe we can trade expiring contracts (Outlaw and Terry) for Gerald Wallace's contract and move up 2 spots to #6 if Embiid is still there.

I'm assuming the #8 is going out from us even tho it's not mentioned and also no mention of us getting a later pick back. Anyone else see how rondo did coming back from injury? I just remember him taking games off and easing his way back but was he close to pre injury rondo? I just don't know if it's worth giving up the 8 for a rondo rental when there are other possible rumored trades out there. Ie afflalo + 12, a suns pick plus player, a bulls pick plus Gibson or butler.
Why do we have to assume the 8th pick is in there? The rumor said players to Cleveland and 1st pick to Boston. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Why do we have to assume the 8th pick is in there? The rumor said players to Cleveland and 1st pick to Boston. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing.
Because neither us nor Boston have players that would be worth giving up the 1st pick for. The #8 would pretty much have to be included in the deal.

As for Embiid, yes please. Trade up and do what it takes. I'd love to have Rondo here but if it's a choice between him or the risk on Embiid, I'm going to roll the dice on having the best NBA frontcourt, possibly of all time, for the next ten years.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I'd love to get Payton, and I'd take him at 8 too. Of course it would be better if we could trade down, get some assets and then draft him.
He's the perfect PG except he can't shoot at all. I don't remember a guy with such athletic abilities who had no jump shot. None. Zilch.

Boston gives up rondo gets #1
Kings get rondo gives up ?
Cavs give up #1 pick gets unnamed players.
Logically who on the kings is worth the cavs giving up #1? What can the kings add to the equation that makes sense cuz jt dwill or terry ain't getting this trade done.

No.

Let me expound upon that. Of all the recent rumors to come out, I don't recall them mentioning the Kings throwing in Ben on the deal. Maybe we don't have to include him in order to get something of value back.

Here is the other thing. You don't typically want to trade a big guy for a small guy. If you're going to entice Orlando to give up a big man draft pick, it is usually easier to do if you offer a big man in return. JT & DWill maybe.
Orlando would be trading a pick not Embiid so it's not big for small. And they need something to make them move back 4 spots and it won't be those 2 scrubs (JT& DWill). There not assists for are building team.

Orlando would be trading a pick not Embiid so it's not big for small. And they need something to make them move back 4 spots and it won't be those 2 scrubs (JT& DWill). There not assists for are building team.
Our scrubs JT and Dwill are good enough for Josh Smith, but not enough to move up 4 spots. But our scrub, Ben Mclemore would entice a team to pass on Embiid, but not good enough for us to keep. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just find the perceptions of value interesting.

Westbrook, Rose and Rondo were all pretty horrible jump shooters. Rondo and Westbrook were about as close to zilch as it gets.
I'd imagine Glenn was being sarcastic, probably in reference to Reke? Nonetheless, pretty much all the elite NBA guards came into the NBA with that specific weakness. It's really not uncommon.

Boston gives up rondo gets #1
Kings get rondo gives up ?
Cavs give up #1 pick gets unnamed players.
Logically who on the kings is worth the cavs giving up #1? What can the kings add to the equation that makes sense cuz jt dwill or terry ain't getting this trade done.
I would guess:
Boston gives up #6 + Rondo and gets #1
Kings give up #8 + McLemore and get Rondo
Cavs give up #1 and get #6 and #8 and McLemore

Other parts involved to balance salary. Who knows...

Entity

Hall of Famer
Sounds like about what I was thinking.
Since we can't realistically trade the pick. This would have to be put on hold until after our #8 pick tomorrow then we trade that player which we picked who ever the cabs wanted. Right? Or can it go through with that knowledge now?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Also we are then left with no sg at all. I assume that's where the sign and trade comes in with IT. Prob still would have an ender and a spare PF left over

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This is the ultimate in irony for me. I had Rajon Rondo rated very highly in the draft. I watched the draft that year hoping he would fall to us and he did, but we picked Quincy Douby instead. Crushed. Then he went on to have great success in Boston and he's been at the top of my wishlist ever since. Now I'm looking at a deal where we get Rondo for Ben McLemore and #8 and wondering if Rondo alone (with an expiring contract) is better than Elfrid Payton and Ben McLemore combined. I thought Ben was the #3 player in the draft last year after Noel and Oladipo. He played like an inexperienced kid in his rookie season but his jumpshot is still a thing of beauty. With some added confidence I think he'll return to form as a deadeye shooter. I've got Payton ranked #5 after Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, and Exum. I've been watching a lot of tape on him the past couple months and his potential as a defender is really exciting. With Embiid's injury issues, Parker's defensive limitations and the bust potential of Exum and Wiggins, it's not a stretch to say Payton is the one player in the draft who I have no reservations about.

If there's no Payton in the draft this year (as close to a Rondo clone as you're ever likely to find) I'd still be all over it. It just so happens that the one guy I really like in the draft this year looks like Rondo's heir apparent as the best defender in the league at PG. If this deal goes down I'm going to be happy we finally got Rondo but also nervous about where Payton and McLemore's careers might take them and the considerable possibility that Rondo leaves in a year. I'm not upset about the idea but I'm not thrilled either, I'm just conflicted on how to feel.

This is one of the first years as a Kings fan where I have no idea what the hell is going to happen on draft night. Only thing I'm sure of is that it won't be what I expect. I'd love to trade up for Embiid, or get someone that has been talked about (Rondo, Hordford etc), whilst also possibly nabbing Peyton. Too ambitious, yes, but who the hell knows what's going to go down tomorrow. Going to be very interesting either way. Actually the whole draft will be interesting, no one really knows where anyone will go and I suspect there will be at least one huge shock.

This is the ultimate in irony for me. I had Rajon Rondo rated very highly in the draft. I watched the draft that year hoping he would fall to us and he did, but we picked Quincy Douby instead. Crushed. Then he went on to have great success in Boston and he's been at the top of my wishlist ever since. Now I'm looking at a deal where we get Rondo for Ben McLemore and #8 and wondering if Rondo alone (with an expiring contract) is better than Elfrid Payton and Ben McLemore combined. I thought Ben was the #3 player in the draft last year after Noel and Oladipo. He played like an inexperienced kid in his rookie season but his jumpshot is still a thing of beauty. With some added confidence I think he'll return to form as a deadeye shooter. I've got Payton ranked #5 after Embiid, Wiggins, Parker, and Exum. I've been watching a lot of tape on him the past couple months and his potential as a defender is really exciting. With Embiid's injury issues, Parker's defensive limitations and the bust potential of Exum and Wiggins, it's not a stretch to say Payton is the one player in the draft who I have no reservations about.

If there's no Payton in the draft this year (as close to a Rondo clone as you're ever likely to find) I'd still be all over it. It just so happens that the one guy I really like in the draft this year looks like Rondo's heir apparent as the best defender in the league at PG. If this deal goes down I'm going to be happy we finally got Rondo but also nervous about where Payton and McLemore's careers might take them and the considerable possibility that Rondo leaves in a year. I'm not upset about the idea but I'm not thrilled either, I'm just conflicted on how to feel.
I feel your conflict! I wouldn't mind keeping Ben and the pick either. It's nice having upside... for me the dream is Marcus Smart and McLemore. But the excitement of upside wears off really quickly once the season starts and the losses start piling up. So I'm ok either way.

In short, what we're potentially giving up seems to be too much for what we're getting. Rondo is not guaranteed to sign with us next year. You're gut instinct about this is what is making you uneasy and I get the same feeling. Not trying to put words in your mouth, but I understand.

I'm really scared that we might get Rondo, trade McLemore and Payton possibly , and have Rondo leave in a year. We'd honestly be so screwed. So so screwed. If we do get Rondo, we better be making the playoffs next year or we're done.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Since we can't realistically trade the pick. This would have to be put on hold until after our #8 pick tomorrow then we trade that player which we picked who ever the cabs wanted. Right? Or can it go through with that knowledge now?
No, we have to make the pick, then trade. Only team we can trade the pick to the day before would be Chicago, by their agreement about our future encumbered pick.

I'm tired of typing that term "future encumbered pick". I think I'd just give them next year's pick no strings attached just to end that interminable nonsense.