alltime 1st team nba

O

ONEZERO

If u had to choose an all time nba 1st team, what would it be?... Remember, its not the top 5 players of all time, its the top team with the best player at a certain position.

Here's mine:
Pg: magic
Sg: jordan
Sf: bird
Pf: malone
C: russell

A

AriesMar27

pg:magic
sg:jordan
sf:bird
pf:damn thats a good question.... 02-03 webber
c:a young divac or sarbonis

the passing on that team would be sweet with magic, webber and divac.... especially when they are passing it to jordan.....

PG: J. Kidd
SG: Jordan
SF: Garnett
PF: Duncan
C: Chamberlain

ONEZERO said:
If u had to choose an all time nba 1st team, what would it be?... Remember, its not the top 5 players of all time, its the top team with the best player at a certain position.

Here's mine:
Pg: magic
Sg: jordan
Sf: bird
Pf: malone
C: russell

1 Magic
2 Jordan
3 Bird
4 M. Malone
5 Kareem

I'd put Moses in there at PF because he's a bruiser more than Kareem who could skyhook you to death.

Purple Reign said:
PG - Magic
SG - Jordan
C - Abdul-Jabbar
PF - Bird
SF - Baylor
In the late 70s, the Lakers were using Jerry Krause as a freelance scout and he wrote to them about doing anything they could to be in the running for Bird. They had Norm Nixon, Jamaal Wilkes, Adrian Dantley, and James Edwards as trade bait, probably could've gotten it done. Bird was taken as a 5th year senior eligible with the 6th pick in 78. Ironically Indiana passed him up or had no clue they could take him and they chose Rick Robey (who ended up playing for Boston as well).

If LA scored Bird, they still would've gotten Johnson because the Lakers had already received the Jazz's highest 1979 first rounder in 1976 as compensation for Goodrich going there as a FA. Then if LA makes the same no-name trade to Cleveland in 79 that gave them the 1st pick in the 82 draft, they get Worthy too (or Cummings/Nique). So how many titles do you think the Lakers win with Magic, Bird, and Kareem (among others)?

Bear in mind that that was something that could've easily happened if the Lakers knew enough about Bird.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, without using any players that have already been selected by previous posters, here's my squad:

PG John Stockton
SG Oscar Robertson
SF Julius Erving
PF Kevin McHale
C Hakeem Olajuwon

In my entire life I have never seen a post player as absolutely mesmerizing to watch as The Dream. Of course, with Akeem and Lurch staking out the post, maybe I need more shooting so I'll bring in Rick Barry or Jerry West off the bench.

Edit: Ok, I missed dukeswh with The Big O as his PG. So I'll replace him with West or George Gervin.

Last edited:
This is very very hard...

PG - Magic
SG - Jordan
SF - Bird
PF - Duncan
C - Wilt (with Shaq very close behind)

Toughest choice is for Center and if KG can finish out his career with a couple rings and mvp of finals and maybe another mvp of season or two then he may be put on this list but Duncan dominates the game. I think Duncan its not right putting Duncan at PF (even though thats what he plays) because he is really a center but the spurs can get away with it because he is so damn good.

Last edited:
F

Fillmoe

PG-Big O (Hands Down, only player to average a triple double season!!!)
SG-Jordan (Greatest player ever)
SF-Julius Erving(cant mess with the doctor)
PF-KG
C-Russel

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
FrenchCanadianKING said:
PG- Johnson
SG- Jordan
SF- Robertson
PF- Bird
C- Chamberlain

As simple as that
You cheated on the forwards, although I agree that those are 5 of the 7 or 8 or so all time greats. ;)

PG- Magic (with apologies to Oscar)
OG- Jordan (with apologies to noone)
SF- Bird
PF- Mailman (the least deserving -- would rather shift Russel over since he was about the same size)
C- Wilt (how do you vote against a man who once averaged 50pts 25rebs in a season??)

AriesMar27 said:
pg:magic
sg:jordan
sf:bird
pf:damn thats a good question.... 02-03 webber
c:a young divac or sarbonis

the passing on that team would be sweet with magic, webber and divac.... especially when they are passing it to jordan.....
Like your selection on Center, if Shaq weren't on the horizon they'd be the ones with their passing that elevated the NBA on a new level.

Ryan

I like turtles
Bricklayer said:
C- Wilt (how do you vote against a man who once averaged 50pts 25rebs in a season??)
Oh I can vote against him. The only decent player he faced that season was Russel. If Wilt ever matched up against Shaq he would be praying to face Russel.

PG - Majic
SG - Jordan
SF - Bird
PF - Duncan (with Reed very close behind)
C - Shaq

Bricklayer said:
You cheated on the forwards, although I agree that those are 5 of the 7 or 8 or so all time greats. ;)

SF- Bird
PF- Mailman (the least deserving -- would rather shift Russel over since he was about the same size)
Sorry Brick, didn't see them rules...

The forward spot is the trickiest. Magic is a lock at PG, Jordan gets it over Oscar(Sorry Big O, id swing u over at SF but its against the "rules" :p), Wilt is also a lock at Center and Bird is a must at either the SF or PF spot... Basically, which ever Forward position Larry Bird is not occupying, should be the debate on who should get the nod and who shouldn't

Last edited:
funkykingston said:
OK, without using any players that have already been selected by previous posters, here's my squad:

PG John Stockton
SG Oscar Robertson
SF Julius Erving
PF Kevin McHale
C Hakeem Olajuwon

In my entire life I have never seen a post player as absolutely mesmerizing to watch as The Dream. Of course, with Akeem and Lurch staking out the post, maybe I need more shooting so I'll bring in Rick Barry or Jerry West off the bench.

Edit: Ok, I missed dukeswh with The Big O as his PG. So I'll replace him with West or George Gervin.
....no MJ?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bricklayer said:

SF- Bird
As an aside, after a little quick math I have discovered that since I'm sure we're taking all our guys at their peak, that my peak years starting lineup alone would average 167.6ppg 60.7rebs and 30.5ast. :D

Magic (22.5pts 7.9rebs 12.8ast)
Jordan (35.0pts 5.5rebs 5.9ast)
Bird (28.7pts 10.5rebs 6.6ast)
Malone (31.0pts 11.1rebs 2.8ast)
Wilt (50.4pts 25.7rebs 2.4ast)
----------------------------
TOTAL: 167.6pts 60.7reb 30.5ast

Ryan

I like turtles
FrenchCanadianKING said:
Wilt is also a lock at Center
I don't understand how Wilt is a lock at center? He only got two rings, and Russell kicked his *** every times. And that's Russell! Imagine if Shaq went up against him. Nothing against wilt, but he only got two rings in a era of fines and guards. The past seven years have been an era of power forewords and we STILL can't find someone who can match up with Shaq.

Ryan@CU said:
I don't understand how Wilt is a lock at center? He only got two rings, and Russell kicked his *** every times. And that's Russell! Imagine if Shaq went up against him. Nothing against wilt, but he only got two rings in a era of fines and guards. The past seven years have been an era of power forewords and we STILL can't find someone who can match up with Shaq.
I understand the way you think and it makes sense and i respect it. But let's also not overlook the 60's Celtics and how good of a team they were, sure Russell was an amazing player and most likely the best defender that ever played Basketball but Boston was also heads and shoulder above everyone in the league and thats a big reason why they won so many rings. Those Celtics were some sort of vastly superior version of today's Pistons. As far as Russell being a better center than Wilt? Let's just say the record books don't lie... I don't care who you're playing against, averaging 50 and 25 in a season should not be overlooked.