Ailene Voisin: Sacramento has an identity crisis

Ailene Voisin: Sacramento has an identity crisis

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 12:01 am PDT Saturday, July 15, 2006

It's about popcorn, peanuts, parking.

It's about the Eagles.

It's about competition.

It's all about the building.

Just so we're clear on the situation: If the worst-case scenario occurs and the Kings leave for more modern digs elsewhere because city/county officials and the Maloofs fail to agree on a private/public financing plan for a downtown facility, prospective tenants will not rush to fill out the rental forms for 18-year-old Arco Arena.

Why buy used?

Why would owners in Orlando, Seattle, Milwaukee -- in the other counties currently wrestling with arena issues under threat of relocation -- leave one obsolete building for another when they can sit back and play the field?

Anaheim's officials are eager, and its state-of-the-art Pond is available. St. Louis continues to tout the charms of its spiffy Savvis Center. Oklahoma City has proven capable of housing the Hornets or a future NBA team in its functional Ford Center. Kansas City, Mo. -- another community in the process of constructing an arena before securing a primary occupant -- remains intent on luring an NHL or NBA franchise and, perhaps most important, improving its prospects for reclaiming the Big 12 basketball tournament that was being lured away by the modern facilities in Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Several other cities presently without modern facilities also are aggressively pursuing franchises -- among them Las Vegas and San Diego -- while awaiting an opportunity to poach and to promise. Most are television markets smaller than 19th-ranked Sacramento, which, should it lose the Kings, would become the only top-20 market without at least one major sports franchise. (All of the 18 larger markets boast at least two pro teams.)

So what does this suggest?

Sac is big league or it's not.

Sac gets a new building or gets out of the game.

City/county leaders, and ultimately its voters, will have to pay now or pay later because, as new City Manager Ray Kerridge suggested during a recent conversation, the arena is outdated and the issue transcends sports. For further clarification: This isn't strictly about keeping the Kings or acquiring another franchise -- again, an absolute non-starter without a new facility -- but rather about enhancing the cultural and entertainment prospects for the region. This is about quality of life and, in a visceral sense, about nurturing a common thread that connects a community.

The Capitol is the dot on the map, but the Kings are the pulse of the community.

"One of the first things I'm asked when I talk to other businesses about relocating here is, 'Why is Sacramento a good place to live?' " related Kerridge, a London native who is credited with facilitating the downtown renaissance in Portland, Ore., "and the Kings, of course, are a huge asset. When I was in Rome not long ago, when I was asked where I lived, and I said, 'Sacramento,' everyone said, 'Oh, the Kings.'

"But those interested in moving here also want to know about concerts and activities, and my concern is that Arco Arena will not be able to compete for other acts because of its age. For example, I went to see the Eagles not long ago, and while the Eagles were great, the acoustics were terrible ... I sense we are in jeopardy of losing the Eagles and other entertainment to other places. And do we want to have to go to San Francisco all the time for concerts and such?"

Undeniably, all of these private/public partnerships that have become so common in professional sports are exceedingly difficult, even unseemly undertakings. In an ideal world, millionaire owners would pay all the bills, tickets would be affordable and player salaries would be reasonable.

Of course, Arco II would have been built for generations instead of a few decades (see similarly aging and problematic structures in Milwaukee and Orlando), and city/county officials wouldn't be spending the weekend attempting to finalize an agreement to submit to the voters in November. We wouldn't be talking about revenue streams and luxury suites and the fact that Sacramento, one of the NBA's smaller markets, has a reasonable population but few corporations, the very lifeblood of pro sports.

We wouldn't be talking politics and certainly not potential relocation, but it's where we are.

Today, tomorrow. Next month, next year.

It's all about the building.
About the writer:

When I was in Rome not long ago, when I was asked where I lived, and I said, 'Sacramento,' everyone said, 'Oh, the Kings.'
well I can confirm that not many people here in Europe known that Sacramento is the capital of California, most people would answer/guess it's LA or maybe San Francisco

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It's VERY rare that I find myself in agreement with AV, but.....

darn it, she nailed it with this article. Nailed it. Good for her.

I've always thought of Ailene as a lazy, sloppy, and not particularly intelligent "writer".

This article does nothing to change that long standing perception of mine. :)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've always thought of Ailene as a lazy, sloppy, and not particularly intelligent "writer".

This article does nothing to change that long standing perception of mine. :)
You know what, Wert? I'm GLAD you didn't like the article because it reinforces my perception that you are simply a contrarian. Anyone who bothers to continue to try and discuss the arena situation with you in a logical manner deserves whatever headaches and traumas they cause themselves.

You know what, Wert? I'm GLAD you didn't like the article because it reinforces my perception that you are simply a contrarian.
Nah, it simply means she and I have looked at similar data and have come up with different conclusions.

You do realize that reasonable folks can sometimes come up with different personal conclusions based on similar data right?

But if it makes you feel superior to be dismissive of my views in that manner, and resort to name calling (nyah, nyah, you're just a contrarian!) then hey, knock yourself out.

Without the Kings, what would Ms. Voisin have to stir up the crap and draw attention to herself? Part of her job is covering those Kings, so if they're gone...

Anyone who bothers to continue to try and discuss the arena situation with you in a logical manner deserves whatever headaches and traumas they cause themselves.
Strangely, those of us living in the "reality based" world probably feel the same way about dealing with those here who are obviously hampered by viewing the situation through rose colored "fan glasses".

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am going to cry!! Why LA??? :(

I like her point about "nurturing a common thread that connects a community." Good article. Bad Topic!!!!
But it's not a bad topic. It's a topic that hasn't been properly addressed, primarily by the Sacramento Bee as the only real daily newspaper in town, for a long time.

People need to look this problem right in the face and address it. Voisin, with whom I often disagree, has pulled the curtain back...as has Marcos Breton.

I think both of them have made valid points recently and I hope people will listen. Not everyone will, of course. And that's to be expected. But if enough people are passionate about their city, its future and the Kings, then maybe it won't be too late.

I am going to cry!! Why LA??? :(

I like her point about "nurturing a common thread that connects a community." Good article. Bad Topic!!!!
David Stern already said last year, that although its a great city, with great fans and a great facility in the Pond...that he doesnt want 3 of his teams in one metro area...which I couldnt agree more with. I must say, I'm very impressed with the stance that AV has taken in this arena deal, and applaud her whole heartedly. If we lose the Kings...my heart will sink...end of story.

The biggest obstacle blocking the entire arena deal is the fact that the Kings/Maloofs are still in Sacramento. Once they leave, which seems inevitable at this point, a new arena WILL be built because these ignorant naysayers will have nobody else to blame/pin costs on.

Once there is no ownership team here in Sacramento, the residents of the Sacramento County will finally wake up and realize that they alone are responsible for building their own entertainment facility .... a responsibility they've have had all along.

It's sad that it is going to come to that but, unfortunately, it seems that a majority of people can't look into the future and see the obvious. Or better yet, LEARN from the mistakes that other cities made by allowing their franchises to leave town over financing issues only to eventually build the facility themselves and look for a new team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think it's a little early to say it's inevitable the Kings will leave. If you look at the events that happened in Houston and San Antonio, you'll see some real parallels. There may come a time to just give up and throw in the towel, but I really don't think that time has come...yet.

I'd just like to take this moment to remind the Maloofs of the obvious charm and economic vitality of Baltimore, MD (better known as ballmarr to its local denzions).

I'd further like to encourage the maloofs to hook up with Abe Polan (bullet's owner) to set up a joint television market encompasing the vastly wealthy balmar to richmond, VA mega-market. (much like the p.o.s. that the Orioles gangster owner is trying to set up for orioles/nats games)

By pure cooincidence, this would make the King's much more convenient for ME to watch. Which is what is really important, right?

Actually, Raley field cost more than that. The land alone cost $10 million. The "private" financing is guaranteed by public bonds jointly issued by W Sacramento and the counties of Sacramento and Yolo. W Sacramento also provided and continues to provide tax increment financing to Raley Field.

http://www.calredevelop.org/Awards/Special_Citation/sc_2001.htm

Raley Field represents a significant leveraging of redevelopment funds. The redevelopment agency made a net investment of $2.7 million in tax increment funds up front, and $224,000 in tax increment annually for thirty years. These funds leveraged $48 million in bond proceeds. The Raley Field transaction is designed with multiple safeguards to protect the city and its partners from risks associated with stadium revenue shortfalls.

The Raley Field stadium provides a variety of benefits to the surrounding region. In addition to an affordable recreational amenity, the stadium generates sales tax revenue and provides 700 seasonal and 100 permanent jobs. The public infrastructure and Raley Field itself will catalyze other development in the area and help reinforce the city's reputation as a great place to do business. The unprecedented interjurisdictional partnership facilitated this major project that would not have been possible without joining forces.

Here's another article. This one says the stadium used $40 miliion in bond financing. I suspect the other site is more accurate and the bonds issued were $48 million. My guess is the discrepancy is that only $40 million went to the ball park, while the other $8 million went to infrastructure to support Raley Field. as well as other eventual development planned for the area.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/05/04/SP61202.DTL

So now the stripe-earning commences, thanks to the diligence of former Sharks president Art Savage. Savage brought to Sacramento the two things it lacked and did not really know how to acquire: a team and a stadium.

He bought the Vancouver Canadians, moved them south and created the River Cats. The stadium required Savage to navigate the political landscape -- no easy chore -- and secure $40 million in private financing (guaranteed by public bonds) to build Raley Field.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And interestingly enough, Art Savage is prominently mentioned. I sure hope he can navigate another path through the political landscape.

:)

What i should of said is the cost of Raley Field was $29.5 for construction, plus $10 million for land. So, the total is approx $40 million. And it is comletely public financing + public loan guarantees that made it happen. The "private" lender is only doing the loan, because of the public issued bonds that guarantee it.

This type of bond financing was raised as a possiblity for the new Arena in Sacramento, but the "public" kind of shot that and the Mayor down.

Last edited:

Ryan

I like turtles
This isn't strictly about keeping the Kings or acquiring another franchise -- again, an absolute non-starter without a new facility -- but rather about enhancing the cultural and entertainment prospects for the region. This is about quality of life and, in a visceral sense, about nurturing a common thread that connects a community.
WOW. I wish everyone in Sacramento understood this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And I think that's where we - as Kings fans AND people who care about the Sacramento community - need to step in.

If and when this gets to the ballot, it will be hotly debated. We need to do whatever we can to talk about this to people who will be voting in November. We'll need to lend whatever support we can. I don't know what that will entail, but I think it will be very important for those of us who care to do SOMETHING.

People who care about the future of Sacramento need to speak out.