Ailene Voisin: Peja needs to become shooting, not falling, star

Ailene Voisin: Peja needs to become shooting, not falling, star

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, April 29, 2005

Better defense. Better energy. Better shot selection. Better chemistry. Better matchups. Better ball movement. Better body movement.

Anything else missing?

A peeved Peja.

An engaged, assertive Peja.

The animated Peja of March and early April.

Not to suggest that Stojakovic should suddenly start ignoring Rashard Lewis, hoisting off-balance jumpers, or pounding the ball so long and so hard that he fractures the wooden Arco Arena floor; the Kings do enough of that already. But with this best-of-seven NBA playoff series shifting to Sacramento, that 0-2 deficit is almost large enough to accommodate a dozen purple-and-black coffins.

Decisive measures are needed, among them the emergence of a desperate Peja, the more mature player who, before suffering that late-season injury setback, managed incremental steps toward on-court leadership.

No longer dominated by Chris Webber or protected by Vlade Divac, Stojakovic, 27, was a changed man, a more dynamic presence who contributed his usual assortment of three-pointers, transition layups and backdoor cuts but, for the first time in his seven NBA seasons, deferred to no one.

His personality could no longer be summarized simply as sweet or sullen or silent. He had a lot to say on the court and, in fact, was frequently observed gesturing wildly, directing teammates, chatting with the refs, furiously strategizing with point guard Mike Bibby. And when jumped by Cuttino Mobley for one reason or another, Peja responded aggressively, accepted the challenge and went toe-to-toe, his features expressive and emotional and engaged.

After one such encounter, Mobley patted him on the head, and the two walked off, smiling.

Yet in the two games against the Seattle SuperSonics - the only two games Stojakovic has played since straining his groin April 15 against the Los Angeles Lakers - the three-time All-Star has gone into quiet retreat; he's back to being the nice guy who's content to fit in.

His defense on Lewis has been decent, and he led the Kings with 10 rebounds in Game 2. But his offense has sputtered (12-of-29 shooting), and on a team still searching for an identity, the leadership burden rests heavily with its two best players.

Bibby, of course, figures to break out before the next breakfast. His postseason performances are well-chronicled. He's a king under pressure.

But Peja has something to prove. His postseasons have been marred by injuries and inconsistency, and a year ago, by a lack of inclusion. (A hobbled Webber's refusal to share the ball following his return from the knee injury was fact, not fiction.)

But this is a completely different team, a less talented team, one dependent upon Stojakovic to emerge as a legitimate postseason star, as someone with abundant skills and a winner's edge: Muscle for rebounds. Cut backdoor with courage. Demand the ball. Confront the opposition, and if necessary, his own teammates; this is an ideal time to emerge from that comfort zone and stretch his persona.

"You get to the point where you deal in technical things," longtime Kings assistant and former Princeton coach Pete Carril suggested, "and then I used to write on the blackboard 'attitudinal things,' like desire and scrapping, all those things that make the technical things work."

In other words, this is on Peja, the amiable, even playful veteran who bristles at inferences that he wilts in the postseason. The rap visibly stings, the accusations resonating from as far away as his native Serbia.

"People said I was soft, that I didn't play defense. Leadership isn't about jacking up a bunch of bad shots, so I can't worry about what people say," said a frowning Stojakovic, who, of course, worries what people say.

All players do. All players long to become playoff legends. The question invariably becomes: which ones make the transition?

Webber for years was regarded as a player who shrunk in the clutch - a perception that dissolved these last several seasons. Doug Christie admitted choking during Game 7 of that fabled 2002 series against the Lakers, yet he was impressive in 2003 and outstanding in 2004. Divac was the Kings' primary option against the Utah Jazz in 1999, yet he, too, had to overcome two missed free throws that cost the Lakers a series against the San Antonio Spurs earlier in his career.

Stojakovic undoubtedly has more than enough time to script a more flattering postseason portrayal, but the current challenge is more daunting than ever. Brad Miller, who initiates the high-post offense that exploits Stojakovic's strengths, is less than 100 percent. Additionally, Mobley is more of a scorer than the departed Christie, who had a knack for finding Peja in rhythm. Divac is gone, Webber is gone, and with all the injuries and new faces, the lineups can be a mystery at a moment's notice.

But this isn't about scoring the most points or launching the most attempts. This is about making big plays and making some noise.

Loud and clear. These Kings need a grownup Peja.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12807124p-13657446c.html

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yes, poor unincluded Peja in last year's playoffs:

FGA in 2003/04 playoffs:

Webber 16.6
Peja 16.5

The bastards!!! :rolleyes:

Hey Ailene, I know you come onto this board every so often -- know several reliable people who would be happy to fact check for you before you screech and snipe. You obviously could use the help.

But Peja has something to prove. His postseasons have been marred by injuries and inconsistency, and a year ago, by a lack of inclusion. (A hobbled Webber's refusal to share the ball following his return from the knee injury was fact, not fiction.)
Another relatively good article ruined by an unnecessary snipe at Chris Webber.

Just to add to Brick's stats, Chris also averaged 46% in the playoffs last season (compared to Peja's 39%) and somehow managed to rack up almost 4 assists per game, without sharing the ball. Had 12 in Game 2 against the Mavs.

It's so easy to blame things on Webber, but it's easier to let Peja take responsibility for his lackluster play in late April/early May.

Superman said:
Another relatively good article ruined by an unnecessary snipe at Chris Webber.

Just to add to Brick's stats, Chris also averaged 46% in the playoffs last season (compared to Peja's 39%) and somehow managed to rack up almost 4 assists per game, without sharing the ball. Had 12 in Game 2 against the Mavs.

It's so easy to blame things on Webber, but it's easier to let Peja take responsibility for his lackluster play in late April/early May.
It's amazing that this joke of a sportswriter still has a job.

Almost any from this boards could've written an article stating that the Kings need Peja to play better. That alone makes a very basic "tell me something I didn't know" article. The completely unnecessary shots at Webber turn the article into a despicable piece of slander and trash.

Maybe the Sacbee will wake up the same time as Petrie this summer: the Bee could fire AV at the same time the Kings get rid of Peja.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Team Dime said:
It's amazing that this joke of a sportswriter still has a job.

Almost any from this boards could've written an article stating that the Kings need Peja to play better. That alone makes a very basic "tell me something I didn't know" article. The completely unnecessary shots at Webber turn the article into a despicable piece of slander and trash.

Maybe the Sacbee will wake up the same time as Petrie this summer: the Bee could fire AV at the same time the Kings get rid of Peja.
Pedja is not going anywhere unless he decided not to resign and thus forces GP to do so. I actually thought that this season made it clear.

piksi said:
Pedja is not going anywhere unless he decided not to resign and thus forces GP to do so. I actually thought that this season made it clear.
If Peja doesn't put a good, consistent overall effort for the rest of the playoffs, then Petrie should move him. I'm not talking about just tonight, I'm talking about back on the road in Seattle. I'm sick of watching the passive, disinterested Peja. The fact we're even having this discussion doesn't bode too well for Peja.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Team Dime said:
If Peja doesn't put a good, consistent overall effort for the rest of the playoffs, then Petrie should move him. I'm not talking about just tonight, I'm talking about back on the road in Seattle. I'm sick of watching the passive, disinterested Peja. The fact we're even having this discussion doesn't bode too well for Peja.
Based on the first 2 game we can discuss every single player and coaching stuff too. Good thing about GP is that he does not pay attention what other people say. The way I see it - if somebody asks to leave and You don't let him go - why would You let him go now if he wants to stay unless You can greatly improve which is not that easy. There are not many players that can be effective without dominating the ball. Pedja is one of them. GP will not give up on Pedja for nothing.

BTW - knowing what You are aiming at :

Back in Seattle

Pedja is 12-29------16.5 pts----7.5 rb---------1 assi -----1 to---

Bibby is - 8-30--------9.5 pts --------2.5 rb-----6 assi------1.5 to----

Just by the raw numbers it is very cleas who sucked more in the 2 games.

If You add the defense and the total % of "touches" douring the game it is really no brainer which player is more underachieveing at the moment.

Team Dime said:
Petrie should, but he seems to be really attatched to Peja and isn't likely to move him.

piksi said:

Back in Seattle

If You add the defense and the total % of "touches" douring the game it is really no brainer which player is more underachieveing at the moment.
Mike doesn't have the reputation of disappearing in big games. Peja does.

And when you think about it, Mike is "underachieving" because of what we've come to expect of him. Peja is doing the same thing he always does in the playoffs.

By the way, this isn't something that I have against Peja. I was the one that started the thread about his lack of touches (and how that directly relates to his lack of production). The reason why I was in his corner after Game 1 is because Mike and Cuttino weren't looking for him while they were struggling and he was the only one that could hit shots.

The reason I'm NOT in his corner now is because he won't step up. He won't go get the ball. He won't play hard to get open and make things happen for himself and his teammates. And we all know that he can. Rashard Lewis isn't Ruben Patterson or Tayshaun Prince or Andrei Kirilenko or Bruce Bowen or Trenton Hassell. Rashard Lewis is arguably worse on defense than Peja is. But we're talking about the same guy that let Brevin Knight almost completely take him out of a game offensively. This is what infuriates me about Peja: he won't sack up. He's probably our most dangerous offensive weapon, and he lets defenses dictate what he's going to be able to do. That's not acceptable out of someone that should be carrying us offensively.

I appreciate and commend him for his rebounding effort the other night, but that simply won't cut it. We're down 0-2, we've struggled to keep up with the Sonics and we have a lot of problems with Jerome James physical play. The last thing we should be worrying about is Peja's play; this is the same player who averaged 25 points a game last season. The same guy who averaged 25 points a game on 44% against the Sonics last season.

Where is he now? We need him now.

Last edited:
piksi said:
Based on the first 2 game we can discuss every single player and coaching stuff too. Good thing about GP is that he does not pay attention what other people say. The way I see it - if somebody asks to leave and You don't let him go - why would You let him go now if he wants to stay unless You can greatly improve which is not that easy. There are not many players that can be effective without dominating the ball. Pedja is one of them. GP will not give up on Pedja for nothing.

Back in Seattle

Which player has a history of coming through in the playoffs and which one has a history of being a no-show. Even Voison who clearly supports Peja wrote that Peja needs to step it up and be a no-show. I think just about every intelligent person is much more confident in Bibby than Peja and for good reason.

Basically both players had a bad game. Bibby was way off in game 1. Peja had a good game 1; was our high scorer, but once again only took 3 shots in the 4th. At least Bibby wasn't afraid to shoot the ball at the end of game 1. Bibby was basically the only starter who showed any signs of life in game 1. And no his defense hasn't been that bad, Ridnour and Daniels haven't done much of anything in either game this series.

Superman said:
Mike doesn't have the reputation of disappearing in big games. Peja does.

And when you think about it, Mike is "underachieving" because of what we've come to expect of him. Peja is doing the same thing he always does in the playoffs.

By the way, this isn't something that I have against Peja. I was the one that started the thread about his lack of touches (and how that directly relates to his lack of production). The reason why I was in his corner after Game 1 is because Mike and Cuttino weren't looking for him while they were struggling and he was the only one that could hit shots.

The reason I'm NOT in his corner now is because he won't step up. He won't go get the ball. He won't play hard to get open and make things happen for himself and his teammates. And we all know that he can. Rashard Lewis isn't Ruben Patterson or Tayshaun Prince or Andrei Kirilenko or Bruce Bowen or Trenton Hassell. Rashard Lewis is arguably worse on defense than Peja is. But we're talking about the same guy that let Brevin Knight almost completely take him out of a game offensively. This is what infuriates me about Peja: he won't sack up. He's probably our most dangerous offensive weapon, and he lets defenses dictate what he's going to be able to do. That's not acceptable out of someone that should be carrying us offensively.

I appreciate and commend him for his rebounding effort the other night, but that simply won't cut it. We're down 0-2, we've struggled to keep up with the Sonics and we have a lot of problems with Jerome James physical play. The last thing we should be worrying about is Peja's play; this is the same player who averaged 25 points a game last season. The same guy who averaged 25 points a game on 44% against the Sonics last season.

Where is he now? We need him now.
I don't think even the most ardent Peja supporter can defend this.