Ailene Voisin: Bibby takes charge for the Kings ... again

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12813330p-13663614c.html

Ailene Voisin: Bibby takes charge for the Kings ... again

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, April 30, 2005

In these NBA playoffs, when it comes to these Kings, one thing is as predictable as the moon and the stars, and an offense that never sets. Mike Bibby's presence.

He sweats, he strains, he leaves exhausted.

He struggles once, maybe twice, but never in threes.

So, really, was anyone surprised at the way events unfolded Friday at Arco Arena? On the night that determined whether this becomes a series or an early Kings offseason, the veteran point guard produced another playoff classic, did what he almost always does.

He led the Kings with his shooting, his penetration, his hesitation, stutter-step drives that confound his opponents, catches them leaning one way just long enough to create an opening. The man is so crafty he almost looks fleet. The way he competes in these late-night events - so stoic and straight-faced - he could play poker with the Maloofs.

Lucky for them, he plays for their Kings.

Plays for the Kings. Choreographs the Kings. Leads the Kings. Drives the Kings.

"We're a lot better when I'm more aggressive," Bibby said in a major understatement following his 31-point, seven-rebound effort. "I was tentative (in Seattle). I missed some shots, laid off. We came in here tonight, and we were just aggressive."

Of course, it started from Bibby right from the start. After Shaq, er, Seattle SuperSonics center Jerome James opened the game with two quick field goals, threatening a repeat of the two KeyArena contests, Bibby began a first-quarter assault that left no doubt about which team - about which playmaker - intended to dictate the tempo and determine the outcome. If he wasn't his best during those ensuing six or so minutes, he was as good as he has ever been.

There was Bibby, maneuvering behind screens, hitting the jumper.

There was Bibby, pulling up from the left wing.

There was Bibby, driving the lane, eluding James' 7-foot-1 length with a nifty, left-handed reverse layup.

Again and again, there was Bibby, competing as if his Kings teammates depended upon him, which of course they do, and of late, so does the Arco Arena crowd.

"The fans helped us out a lot," the popular veteran said. "They helped get the momentum going."

Although the cowbells have become passe - or maybe just strongly discouraged by David Stern after the incessant complaints from coaches - the Sonics admittedly anticipated a raucous vocal challenge from the sellout crowd.

Opposing coaches all carry earplugs for a reason. And although six of the Sonics had yet to experience an NBA playoff game on an opponent's court, coach Nate McMillan planned to share his thoughts as a member of the Seattle team that competed here in the 1996 playoffs.

"We know it's going to be very loud," said McMillan, who half-jokingly said he planned to discuss the atmosphere in his pre-game address to his team. "I'm sure they've (Kings fans) been waiting for this ... but the thing is to stay poised. Don't allow distractions such as the crowd or maybe the officials to become a part of what you try to do."

Easier said than done, of course. These Kings have yet to captivate the community as did recent playoff squads, in large part because the roster features so many newcomers. The relationship is still in the getting-to-know-you-phase. But give them a reason to celebrate? A legitimate sense that this series can be prolonged, that the Kings could possibly even prevail?

It never takes much around here. The basics suffice.

And after a miserable two-game visit to Seattle, the Kings returned home and responded with a spirited performance, including a terrific opening quarter that featured feisty defense and a spirited, if disjointed, final three periods.

Peja Stojakovic, weaned from his setup men - Doug Christie and Vlade Divac - was smothered by Rashard Lewis, denied backdoor cuts and open looks but worked his fellow All-Star into his own 2-for-10 struggles.

Kenny Thomas used his quickness, length and versatility to complement Bibby's quick start and snatched rebounds in crowds.

Brad Miller managed only two rebounds, but with the crowd urging him to shoot, he stroked three consecutive jumpers, scored underneath, then fed Bibby for a layup and 21-point second-quarter lead.

Cuttino Mobley tossed up the occasional ill-advised long jumper and was tagged for an absolutely ill-timed technical foul but stayed aggressive and finished with 21 points. Corliss Williamson contributed valuable minutes off the bench, as did Bobby Jackson.

But mostly it was Bibby, always Bibby, making the plays, leading the way.

It was just Bibby, being Bibby.

About the writer:

Team Dime said:
What's the matter Ailene, couldn't find a way to take a shot at Webber this time?
Its there. You have to read between the lines, but its there. Of course, I may be accused of just looking to hard to find it and only imagining that its there... And that might be true, but remember who we are dealing with here.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
ReinadelosReys said:
Its there. You have to read between the lines, but its there. Of course, I may be accused of just looking to hard to find it and only imagining that its there... And that might be true, but remember who we are dealing with here.
Oh, dangit, Reina. Reading "her" wasn't enough? Now I gotta go back and read "her" again, just to read between the lines?

:p

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Team Dime said:
Looks like that trash bag seen at the game last night could come in handy once again; the Sacbee could give it to Voison to clean out her desk.
Wooooooooooot

Ailene is really getting old. I can remember about 3 previous columns with the same repetitive, "Peja cutting..." "Peja dancing around..." "Peja swishing and sashay-ing..."

Maybe she's hoping that all her player flattery will get her back in someone's good graces - like her bosses.

I only read her now after we win to see who she will dog on next. She is awful!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ReinadelosReys said:
Pssst. Reina? Over here...

It's me. VF21. Remember, I'm old and borderline senile. I can't find it. Can you give me a hint? I promise not to tell anyone else...

Well, see, now I think I might be just searching for something :)

But here's a hint of what might be something, or what might not: It has to do with Peja...

I feel like I am leading a witch hunt. :p :D

:: Pulls out her pitch fork::

;)

Last edited:
Twix said:
Peja Stojakovic, weaned from his setup men - Doug Christie and Vlade Divac
This was basicly The Wicked Witch of Sactown's dig at Webb. Hmm you think shes trying to say that Webb never passed to Peja?:p

Am I the only one picturing AV saying, " Ill get you my pretty..... And your little dog too"?

Last edited: