Adelman interviewed on KHTK by Grant and Mike

I don't have a transcript for you, but the points that stuck out when I heard it were:

1. Adelman doesn't worry about Artest talking too much, Spurs are defending champs, so doesn't really matter. He brought up Shaq as an example.

2. Talked quite a bit about trying to get Corliss Williamson into the rotation for this series because of his toughness and experience. Mention Cisco as a possibility if the need to spell Artest comes along.

3. Grant once again attempted to jinx us by mentioning to Adelman how this is the first time in 8 years the Kings enter the playoffs injury free. Adelman is like, "You...you shouldn't say that. I hope that remains true in the future."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grant Napear is an idiot...

And now I have to go outside AGAIN, hop around on one foot and chant "NO TURNIPS!"

I'm getting tired of having to do this.

It's like saying "macbeth" in the theatre

go outside turn around three times, swear, spit, and ask permission to come back in.

I caught the last part and I think Adelman said something a little stronger like "Don't say that to me." It did seem to bother him that Grant was saying the Kings were finally h***thy going into the playoffs.

(Certainly bothered me!)

I don't get it... Adelman has Corliss gathering rust on the bench during the season, then the playoffs start... the only time that actually matters... and Corliss is now going to have a role in determining the outcome of these games?

He wasn't good enough for the regular season, but we need him during the playoffs?

Anyone else understand this?
~~

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Alacron said:
I don't get it... Adelman has Corliss gathering rust on the bench during the season, then the playoffs start... the only time that actually matters... and Corliss is now going to have a role in determining the outcome of these games?

He wasn't good enough for the regular season, but we need him during the playoffs?

~~
Corliss is our secret weapon actually for the post-season. :)

Yeah.

Maybe he didn't want to use him much. He'll be used for his experience and toughness, like Rick said. Along with getting some fouls.

He said it would depend on the matchups and how the other team was hurting us. He said he knew Corliss would be at a disadvantage due to lack of playing time, but he would not hestitate to put him in, becsue he's a tough vet that's been thru the wars.

Also, said he threw Kevin out there more the last several games and told him he had to get ready.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
With Kevin, Garcia and SAR facing their first playoffs, it's nice to know Corliss is there and will be able to step in. Corliss has it all, including the ring. He is NOT going to have the nerves the others might.

VF21 said:
With Kevin, Garcia and SAR facing their first playoffs, it's nice to know Corliss is there and will be able to step in. Corliss has it all, including the ring. He is NOT going to have the nerves the others might.
Exactly. The Spurs bench has a ton of playoff experience. I think Corliss will be more valuable to us in the post-season...even when on the bench.

Alacron said:

~~
Corliss is a playoff veteran in the mold of (and I ask for your forgiveness in advance for mentioning him) Robert Horry. The postseason really is a different season.

I won't get this exactly right, but I just remembered a art of the interview that was interesting. They were talking about the impact Artest had on the team, which is undeniable.

But Adelman went on to say it wasn't just Artest. He said other players had to swallow their pride and change their game to adjust to Artest and they did that. He mentioned Brad and Bibby, and then SAR and Bonzi when they came back. THAT is what pleased him and he seemed proud of his guys. That all the players were willing to come together as a team and make whatever adjustments they had to make to win.

He said what will be interesting to him is to watch these guys during the playoffs. When the going gets tough will they STAY together as a team. That will be the test of this Kings team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
kennadog said:
That all the players were willing to come together as a team and make whatever adjustments they had to make to win.
And that, in a nutshell, is what will stand out in my mind about this group of players. For the most part, it's about TEAM ...

AriesMar27 said:
sucks that i have work on games 1 & 2....
That really does blow. :( My office (federal) has big mucky-mucks from Washington visiting on Tuesday. If they hang around too late, I might have to become violently ill at 6 PM. ;)

Kings113 said:
I kinda expected Corliss to get time in the playoffs, good to read
And why didnt he play when we were struggling, and probably could have helped?? Oh well, old news, Corliss can create mismatches against Bowen, Ginobili, etc..., so the fact that Rick acknowledges this is good coaching on his part, hopefully he is true to his word. Oh yeah, btw...GET THIS GUY SIGNED ALREADY!! Adelman is the only guy who should be coaching this team next year, especially with the limited alternatives we have elsewhere.

VF21 said:
Grant Napear is an idiot...

And now I have to go outside AGAIN, hop around on one foot and chant "NO TURNIPS!"

I'm getting tired of having to do this.
And that's a quality joke of yours, mam, i tip my hat for U. Or, considering Kings history, one of these night............. somebody has to spell the bad karma off, right ? :D