Adelman denies trash talk

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12807126p-13657443c.html

Adelman denies trash talk

The coach says Jerome James and the Kings parted on good terms.

By Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Friday, April 29, 2005

It's a great story if you believe everything you read in the papers and hear on cable TV.

Big man gets cut, is handed a garbage bag to clear out his stall and told to find another line of work.

Only it's not very credible.

One of the best stories of this Kings-Seattle SuperSonics NBA playoff series is how Jerome James - the big man in question - has played his most inspired and effective ball of his career against his old team.

It's true that James was once a member of the Kings, but he was a project back then. He played in 16 games in the 1998-99 season, sat out a year because of a bad knee and then didn't make it through training camp in the fall of 2000 because he wasn't healthy.

But a trash liner and occupational advice?

"It would be nice if someone would ask me if it were true before putting it out on national TV," Kings coach Rick Adelman said. "No. 1, I have never cut one guy in seven years here by myself. (Other team executives) are always there. This team never gives garbage bags out. I know for a fact Jerome got two equipment bags with a bunch of stuff in it.

"It's so erroneous. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. I mean, really, I don't know where Jerome came up with that. I have never told anybody to go find another (line of work), especially a 7-foot-1 guy."

James lasted 2 1/2 weeks into his third season with the Kings.

"We brought him to camp because he had nowhere to go ... he wasn't in shape, and we weren't going to use him," Adelman said. "He's feeling his oats right now. We've got to give him his due. He's playing with confidence, he's making shots, he's been effective. ...

"People in Seattle should be ecstatic to get two games like that out of him."

James bounced around the globe in pursuit of basketball work after his Kings tour, although this series shows that he's on to something.

"Sometimes it takes guys longer," Adelman said. "Maybe this can be an awakening for him. "I've always liked Jerome. He's a great kid. I don't know what job it would have been that I suggested for him. I mean, who says something like that? I did mind (the insinuation) when I heard it from my family, 'Gee, did you really say that?' "

-------------------------------------
i knew adelman didn't do that. he's too classy and nice for that. way to tell the truth james.:rolleyes: jeez.

Somehow I didn't feel the shallowness that the announcers were saying about the whole Jerome thing. I just couldn't picture it. I know Adelman is not that kind of person. Well tonight, Adelman should show James why he was cut. Go Kings!

The thing that craks me up about this whole thing is where has this story been the last 2 years he has been with seattle?

I mean you did not hear this story after he fouled out in 2 mins against the kings.

Sounds like James isnt so classly afterall.

Attention fans: along with bringing your cowbells tonight, every also bring a garbage bag with you for Jerome. Let's remind him that he still is a marginal player, not a verson of Shaq.

Team Dime said:
Attention fans: along with bringing your cowbells tonight, every also bring a garbage bag with you for Jerome. Let's remind him that he still is a marginal player, not a verson of Shaq.
lmao! That be hilarious, and get the crowd chanting "Find a new career!"

Exactly, if we're going to let this guy play like a superstar, we should start to heckle him like one.

How times sure have changed; we used to worry about Shaq, now we're worrying about Jerome James!

that will just get him fired up. and the sonics will rally with him. we haven't shown the interior defense to stop him yet. i suggest we focus more with our guys. try to hype them up and let them feed off the energy of the building.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Team Dime said:
Sounds like James isnt so classly afterall.

ever heard of the term "let sleeping dogs lie"?

Bricklayer said:
Honestly, who knows how much longer the Kings will be in the playoffs this year. The fans gotta have some fun. The team isn't going to lose because of what the fans do (this isn't Detroit).

I suggest everyone bring the extra large trash bags. James is a big guy, I'm sure he has alot of stuff to pack.

Team Dime said:
Honestly, who knows how much longer the Kings will be in the playoffs this year. The fans gotta have some fun. The team isn't going to lose because of what the fans do (this isn't Detroit).

I suggest everyone bring the extra large trash bags. James is a big guy, I'm sure he has alot of stuff to pack.
I'll be there Sunday, so maybe I'll pack a trash bag or two. My original plan was to bring a Raggedy Ann doll (a "Raggedy Dan" doll?) in a Sonics jersey to honor Danny F. Fortson's hair stylist. But the bag idea sounds cool too.

Bricklayer said:
I have to admit, I'm of the camp that believes in not giving anybody on the other team fuel for the fire. Some guys love it most when other teams fans taunt them. It just really gets some guys going. I'd rather do things to support our guys.

kennadog said:
I have to admit, I'm of the camp that believes in not giving anybody on the other team fuel for the fire. Some guys love it most when other teams fans taunt them. It just really gets some guys going. I'd rather do things to support our guys.
exactly what i'm saying. the sonics will rally and support their guy. it might not fire up james that much (or maybe it will), but the team as a whole will definitely support their guy, especially since he has been playing well in the series.

what good will bringing a trashbag and chanting "find a new career" do to OUR guys? would you rather do something good for their team or to your own? think about it.

Anyways, he was out! LoL. I was about to fall on the floor laughing when that happen and the garbage bag came waving. I was just waiting for the "find a new career" chant, lol.