Adelman: Coach of the year?

I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is the year Adelman finally gets a coach of the year award. I can't think of anyone else in the NBA who has been so successful with so much adversity. Last years hot picks (Sloan and Brown) are having an off year and retired and I can't think of any other coach that stands out making a big difference for their teams. Maybe it comes down to RA and Nate McMillon?

I hadn't even thought about it, but now that you mention it I would be surprised if Rick DIDN'T get it this year. Phoenix's resurgence is due to Steve Nash, all due respect to D'antoneli, and I don't think that Seattle's coach should get it over Rick this year. No other coach jumps out at me, 'cept maybe Popovich and Stan Van Gundy.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He won't even make the Top 5 in all liklihood -- the myth of rick's mediocrity is too well established at this point, and there are too many other prominent surprise story type coahcing jobs this year: McMillan, Karl, Fratello, Carlisle, DiAntoni etc. etc.

I think Nate McMillon gets it without a doubt. To bring back pretty much the same roster, and be a top 4 team in the west after not even making the playoffs, is a great accomplishment.

The only other competition is George Karl, who I think deserves it more than McMillon, but probably won't get it because he took over too late in the season.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Karl has the best PR and the most dramatic turn arround. Rick jsut kept a contending team on track after loosing most of the roster.

Yeah, Coach of the year isn't about good coaching, otherwise Jerry Sloan, Phil Jackson, Greg Poppovich and Rick Adelman would all probably have at least one. Its about doing better than an ill-informed media expects you to do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gotta agree the odds on favorite should be George Karl. Sure would love to see Adelman get some recognition in the balloting, however.