Abdur-Rahim added to front office

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/23/5517372/abdur-rahim-added-to-kings-front.html

Shareef retained by PDA into the front office. Also, hired George McCloud as a scout.
There is no way to say "yay!" or "boo!" on that one. I always considered Shareef more of a Petrie pity hire than anything else as we graduated him up after his knees went, and he fit Geoff's no personality allowed rules. But maybe he has an eye behind closed doors. Just no way to know, so just wish him luck and hopefully he can be a little bit of that carry over knowledge of current and former personnel from the former regime.

S

sactownfan

There is no way to say "yay!" or "boo!" on that one. I always considered Shareef more of a Petrie pity hire than anything else as we graduated him up after his knees went, and he fit Geoff's no personality allowed rules. But maybe he has an eye behind closed doors. Just no way to know, so just wish him luck and hopefully he can be a little bit of that carry over knowledge of current and former personnel from the former regime.
Pete D did say that Shareef was on his radar if he had taken the GM office in Denver. So Shareef has to bring something to the table. He was a great player, great guy, and great character. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a great talent evaluator. Im sure there were a few years there at the end of his playing days. where SAR had started transitioning / crafting his skills at coaching and some front office stuff.

Pete D did say that Shareef was on his radar if he had taken the GM office in Denver. So Shareef has to bring something to the table. He was a great player, great guy, and great character. I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually a great talent evaluator. Im sure there were a few years there at the end of his playing days. where SAR had started transitioning / crafting his skills at coaching and some front office stuff.
Right. Couldn't have said it better

Considering there was no reason for him to be retained and the new GM was gushing about him, I'd say there is good reason to believe he's good at what he's supposed to do.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Considering there was no reason for him to be retained and the new GM was gushing about him, I'd say there is good reason to believe he's good at what he's supposed to do.
I'll hope so, although for the most part it doesn't really matter with a minor functionary like this. However I will note that since we know basically nothing about D'Alessandro's own abilities or ability to judge talent, its hard to use his endorsement as any sort of gold standard yet. If we're fighting with Pat Riley for Shareef's services, then that's one thing.

S

sactownfan

I'll hope so, although for the most part it doesn't really matter with a minor functionary like this. However I will note that since we know basically nothing about D'Alessandro's own abilities or ability to judge talent, its hard to use his endorsement as any sort of gold standard yet. If we're fighting with Pat Riley for Shareef's services, then that's one thing.
this is just a thought and i dont know for certain but... i know SAR is pretty religious... i'd say he was one of those guys that while other players were out being fools in strip bars getting hammered, SAR was studying and working on his game. He was a crafty big with fundamental skills. He was an all-star talent.

look at bobby jackson... thats sort of a pity hire... while this franchise loves him he clearly isn't coaching / front office material. SAR was immediately hired to the coaching staff and promptly added thereafter to the front office as ASSISTANT GM? thats impressive stuff.... broke owners or not that doesn't happen out of pity. Petrie wasnt totally incompetent as a GM... The fact of the matter is that when Petrie had owners that gave a crap and supported the team financially etc. Petrie was earning the likes of executive of the year. We will never truly know how much the Maloofs interfered with Petries job. judging by the overall actions of the maloofs i'd say it was significant. Still Petrie wasn't perfect but again he wasn't at David Khan's level of stupid.

I wouldn't be surprised if SAR is actually quite worthy of his title.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Didn'T SAR replace Wayne cooper who was shuffled to another part of the FO? If Cooper was removed, it means at the least SAR was better. PDA said he knew of SAR (already mentioned) because he noticed while a lot of people on scouting missions would be chatting up other officials to check out job prospects, SAR actually watched the players play. I must admit that's a minimum of what I would expect. I originally had the same opinion of brick and that is that he was a pity hire of sorts. I think Ranadive would expect people to be hired because of quality. He has said it enough.

I thought the organization felt indebted to him, because of the circumstances of his signing, which explained the hiring. Don't feel like looking it up, but wasn't he signed for a one or two year mid level deal because the kings couldn't go over with wink that he would get paid, only to become injured or something in the interim? I thought something like that went down with him. Weird that a low-level front office guy would survive an organizational reset like that

Last edited:
I thought the organization felt indebted to him, because of the circumstances of his signing, which explained the hiring. Don't feel like looking it up, but wasn't he signed for a one or two year mid level deal because the kings couldn't go over with wink that he would get paid, only to become injured or something in the interim? I thought something like that went down with him. Weird that a low-level front office guy would survive an organizational reset like that
He was given a full-MLE contract after he failed his physical with New Jersey (whom he had the same deal signed with). There was nothing fishy or wink-wink about it. He did do us a favor deciding to retire instead of fighting his body like guys like Brandon Roy tried to do.

And even if there was a wink-wink deal in place with the previous administration, why would he survive a front office purge?

Same. In a time where front office staff was let go it must say something about SAR that he has been retained. I had always pictured him as having a very high IQ when hearing him speak. I have no doubt he's good at his job now.

He was given a full-MLE contract after he failed his physical with New Jersey (whom he had the same deal signed with). There was nothing fishy or wink-wink about it. He did do us a favor deciding to retire instead of fighting his body like guys like Brandon Roy tried to do.

And even if there was a wink-wink deal in place with the previous administration, why would he survive a front office purge?
How about the doing us a favor by retiring part? Anyways, I will assume that he is doing his job on merit and hopefully will have a productive role in front office for some time to come.