A Sonics fan's point of view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this beauty of a post from yesterday on Sonics Rising:

"There's no MONEY in Sacramento. There’s no money for basic things and people are fleeing the city. It’s a city on the decline. Using their precious few dollars on an arena is like a man that spends all his money on a big diamond ring, when all his wife wanted was a house to raise the kids in. Get your priorities straight, SAC. Your “whales” are from out of town, and they are fleecing your towns diminished funds for business reasons. They have no loyalty to the Kings. Vivek is an owner of the Warriors for crying out loud."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My thoughts about Seattle still boil down to one thing. They've got passion envy. IF they had been as passionate about the Sonics as we are about our Kings, none of this would be happening. If their city leaders were as passionate about their city and its future as Kevin Johnson is about Sacramento's, none of this would be happening.

They can whine, they can pout, they can post ridiculous insults about our town, our fans and even our local columnists for God's sake, but it all means nothing. We cared enough and we got the job done. They didn't and they'll never accept any of the blame on themselves. In typical victim-mentality style, they'll forever believe they were treated unjustly by the universe and everyone else involved.

Guess what, Seattle. I don't care. You destroyed any good will I may have had towards your city. Take your lying high-rollers with no sense of right and wrong to the local Starbuck's and drown your sorrows. Maybe Ballmer will buy the first round for the entire town to make you feel better.

stock-footage-man-looking-through-blinds.jpg

Guys... SonicsSinking isn't saying nice things about us again.

eavesdropping.jpg

Alright guys...shhh, shhh....

Right now: Your Optimism Level for us getting the Kings (or Expansion) by Wednesday

Call me a pessimist, but I’m at 10% Optimistic. Just so much reason to think Stern kills this again.

How ’bout you?

• 0% optimism
  • Although if the threat of a lawsuit exists, that could change things.

• I'm feeling 50% or so on getting the Kings
  • And 80% or so that SOMEONE gets offered expansion.
  • It really comes down to the work Hansen, Ballmer, and their owner friends put in last week.

• Right now.
  • At 0.999999999999% optimistic.

• 0.5% -- this suuuuuuucks

• I'm a 100% optimistic
  • I’m buying a Trey Burke jersey this summer.

• YEAH BABY
  • I’m still militant…militancy supersedes confidence. Renders it obsolete. Absorbs and supersizes it.
  • Be militant. The Supes are comin’ back, baby.

• ATTA KID!!!!

6049933231_90d2c56651_z.jpg

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yet another article from Seattle, only this one actually calls the Maloofs' plan "cunning"...

It's the Maloofs vs. Sacramento. And in a general sense, it's about an NBA owner's rights vs. the rights of the city that the team represents. Everyone else is a character that stands to gain or lose something as a result of an epic showdown that has been building for years.
The article goes on to argue that the Maloofs are owners and have the right to determine where their team will play, even though it's not going to be their team.

Lord grant me strength.

Yet another article from Seattle, only this one actually calls the Maloofs' plan "cunning"...

The article goes on to argue that the Maloofs are owners and have the right to determine where their team will play, even though it's not going to be their team.

Lord grant me strength.
*Chews popcorn, awaits the epic smackdown that is going to reach the Mapukes and HB*

Plus, that last article writer is so stupid. If what he's saying is true, then Seattle shouldn't be pissed that the Sonics left. What a luddite.

Lord grant me strength.
O.M.G.... This guy is an awful writer! Jr. Highschool newspaper articles are written better than this. How can this guy be a PAID columnist???

Well if you spinning this story for the Seattle folks which narrative do you think would sell better:
1. The Maloofs are cunning business men who partnered with H/B to shake up the NBA OR
2. The Maloofs slithered out of the deserts of Las Vegas and convinced the CEO of Microsoft and other "shrewd business men" into massively inflating the value of their franchise with a fools errand, even after a move was rejected 2 years ago?

As the Seattle bid gets rebuffed over and over by the NBA it is going to be harder and harder for the folks up north to avoid the truth, that they got played for chumps by a family of grifters.

Last edited:
Next time Seattle has a team, Ballmer and and the others wont be owners. (Put it down in your book) Also put down arena wont be at SODO district. Hansen spent lots of money on a gentlemans club and land. But he will have to sell to Port of Seattle or Seattle Mariners to get his money back

CM Dave retweeted this from some seattle guys who said win, lose or draw, they're selling 'em. Stay classy Seattle.

View attachment 4298
i've long attempted the high road during this whole sacramento v. seattle debacle. but, when it's all said and done, the kings will remain in sacramento--where they've been for 28 years, and where they belong. i'm uncertain of how that warrants this level of contempt from a great many sonics fans, who seem to be misdirecting their vitriol. i'm hoping they cool down as the year wears on, because i am still among those who hope to see nba basketball return to seattle by way of expansion...

So had to go over to Stomachs-rising to see what they had to say...

No seriously there is thread about how unfair it is that they were not allowed to steal the Kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
All they're talking about is how Stern forced the owners to vote for Sac, that the Arena deal will fall apart, that Vivek is broke, and that the arena will bankrupt us with all of the taxpayer money it uses.

I don't have the heart to tell them that the arena won't take taxpayer money...

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Also they go on and on about the $240 million deposit not being enough. It's like they don't look at facts ($200 million to the Maloofs for their share, $40 million "working capital", the rest of the valuation was due to debt that the Vivek group is assuming)! They didn't put in more because that is all that they have to pay out!

No interest in facts at all, sad to say. All bitterness and anger. They need to focus on getting a team by expansion and doing what needs to be done in that direction.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hopefully this thread will just die on the vine.

We no longer have to worry about what they're thinking or saying. We've got a bright new future ahead of us as Kings fans.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Hopefully this thread will just die on the vine.

We no longer have to worry about what they're thinking or saying. We've got a bright new future ahead of us as Kings fans.
Agreed. But you know, sometimes there is a difference between "worry" and just plain curiosity. ;)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Also they go on and on about the $240 million deposit not being enough. It's like they don't look at facts ($200 million to the Maloofs for their share, $40 million "working capital", the rest of the valuation was due to debt that the Vivek group is assuming)! They didn't put in more because that is all that they have to pay out!

No interest in facts at all, sad to say. All bitterness and anger. They need to focus on getting a team by expansion and doing what needs to be done in that direction.
In a minor defense of the Seattle fans, I think I can understand the source of a lot of their confusion especially with the local media distorting facts. I didn't understand how $200 mil covered the sale until yesterday. It's $200 mil to the Maloofs and a bunch more is to pay off a variety of debts the Maloofs left behind. Vivek et al (from here on referred to as "us" or "we" :) ) will pay the debts also but that didn't need to be in escrow. Even if they are a bit cash short which I doubt, I am sure the NBA will extend the same loan to Vivek as they have extended to the Maloofs. Don't anyone interpret this as me saying that our owners don't have enough money but it IS possible it is not all liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.