a different take on ron (ie bird is evil)

from espn: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/060127

Page 2: Rooting for basketball's bad boy

By Skip Bayless
Page 2

When you heard on Tuesday night that the Artest-to-Sacramento trade had blown up, you undoubtedly thought: "Here we go again."

That's what I thought too, but for a different reason.

I thought: Ron Artest's image is taking another hit it doesn't deserve. Artest is the most overvilified, overpunished player in sports. No, he's no angel. Yes, he can be a knucklehead. But I'm actually beginning to feel a little sorry for this kid.

First, NBA commissioner David Stern got away with suspending him for 73 games -- the rest of the season! -- after Artest didn't land a single punch in the stands at Detroit last year and threw only a couple over his shoulder in self-defense. Now, Larry Bird has managed to turn poor Artest into the bad guy when the real bad guy all along was Bird.

But it's always so easy to make Artest the fall guy because his name has become a sports-media synonym for trouble. Ron Ar-trouble. Most fans want from spectator sports what they get from dumbed-down movies and kill-or-be-killed video games -- easily identifiable heroes and villains. No gray area. For those who live in the shallow end of the pool, Artest is sports' biggest villain.

He's also the easiest target because he often isn't perceptive or eloquent enough to defend himself. So it doesn't really matter that he plays as hard night after night as any player in the league at both ends of the floor, that teammates (except for Jermaine O'Neal) like having him on their side and that his heart is basically in the right place -- that he's so much that Terrell Owens has never been. Yet Artest has been indelibly stamped: VILLAIN.

Funny, but in a recent GQ story, Owens was No. 1 among the 10 athletes identified as most despised by their peers. Artest didn't make the list. Players know.

But most fans need Artest to be their favorite bad guy, and sometimes I think he shrugs and thinks, "OK, I'll give 'em what they want."

But I (for one) am pulling for him to turn the Kings into The Team Nobody Wants to Mess With in the Playoffs. That would be justice. Wouldn't it be great if this trade turned into the shrewdest personnel decision since Red Auerbach drafted Larry Bird?

Oh, did that old hustler Bird ever fake us all out in Sports Illustrated's preseason NBA issue.

Bird literally stood behind Artest on the cover, as well as raving about him in the story. Bird even compared Artest's desire to win with ... his own! The message: Ronnie's a good kid who gets so intense on the court, and that night in Detroit, he lost control of his emotions.

Bird, after all, once decked a fan who ran onto the court at the end of one of his Indiana State games.

I applauded his support of Artest, swallowing it hook, line and trade bait.

After all, Artest had shown newfound maturity near the end of a Pacers blowout at the Palace in Auburn Hills by backpedaling away from a raging-bull attack by a frustrated Ben Wallace. But moments later, as Artest rubbed it in by kicking back on the scorer's table, he obviously should not have overreacted to the slightly filled cup of beer that landed on him. He absolutely should not have gone after the guy he thought had thrown it. But remember, there hadn't been a scenario like this before that brawl in Detroit. Players hadn't had it driven into their psyches by fines and suspensions and seeing a thousand replays of shameful video that they cannot go into the stands.

Artest was right: That night, a lot of guys would have done the same thing.

Yet he didn't slug the kid he thought had thrown the cup. He grabbed him. When other fans jumped on Artest, the only punches landed were by teammate Stephen Jackson, flying in to the rescue.

Only after Artest returned to the court, where he was confronted by a dukes-up fan, did he respond by throwing a punch. Then, flying in and landing what could have been a kill shot on the face of the fan's buddy, came Jermaine O'Neal.

O'Neal was suspended for 15 games, Jackson for 30, Wallace for six -- and Artest for 73, costing him $5.4 million in salary. You would have thought Artest had sent an entire row of fans to the emergency room. But Stern needed to blame someone for this P.R. nightmare, so why not the easiest target in sports? Yes, toss Artest to the angry talk-show mob and it will be satisfied.

Artest had a rap sheet of flagrant fouls and angry outbursts. But who cared that they all were the result of Artest playing basketball too hard, playing it the way the Pittsburgh Steelers play defense? Artest had no known drug problems. No wife-beating charges. No alcohol-fueled bar fights. No quitting on his coach. No pouting. No dogging it.

In fact, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle has often said he wished he had 12 Artests. To the end, Carlisle sounded as if he genuinely wanted Artest back on his team.

But the Pacers' director of basketball operations obviously did not. That's Bird.

Early in the season, rumors sprang up that the Pacers were working on trading Artest to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic. As much as Bird genuinely seemed to like and admire Artest and his game, he clearly was trying to rebuild Artest's trade value in the Sports Illustrated piece. Bird and general manager Donnie Walsh obviously had decided they no longer trusted Artest and wanted to go forward without him.

When the rumor made it into print in the Indianapolis Star, Artest's pride was understandably stung. After all, he had taken his 73-game medicine without complaint or grievance or lawsuit. He even had volunteered to regain his edge by playing with rookies on the Pacers' summer league team. This, remember, was a former All-Star and defensive player of the year.

So Artest basically said, "If they don't want me, I want out." He also went public with what had become obvious to anyone who watched Pacers games: He was being phased out of the offense. It appeared O'Neal no longer was satisfied with sharing the low block with Artest when Artest was covered by a smaller man he could bully.

So as rookies Danny Granger and Sarunas Jasikevicius proved they could play, Bird and Walsh obviously chose to make the Pacers O'Neal's team instead of O'Neal's and Artest's. And that's when Bird slyly turned the tables on Artest, telling the media, "Ronnie's demanding a trade, so we'll try to accommodate him."

Sure, why not take the pressure off management by making it all Artest's fault? Most media members and fans are so predisposed to blaming Artest that no one seemed to notice he was merely responding to what now appears to be a very true rumor.

Walsh told ESPN.com's Chad Ford that the Pacers and Kings had no early-season discussions about Artest-for-Peja. But it seems awfully coincidental that this saga came full circle back to that very deal.

And Artest, of course, fell right into the trap, failing to make this clear in subsequent interviews. If only he could defend himself off the court the way he defends on it. For Bird, this was like playing one-on-one against the ball boy. But the early-season media leaks appeared to give the Kings management time to get cold feet. After all, they were considering trading their most popular player -- Peja, who had played seven seasons in Sacramento -- for the league's least popular player.

This forced Bird and Walsh to basically go through the charade of shopping Artest while Peja was the player they wanted in return all along. And this forced Artest -- though being paid -- to miss 25 more games. What did a guy who loves to play basketball do to deserve that? Yes, I know: Artest once needed some time off to rest up and promote an album for his record label. That I can't defend. Occasionally, he can be an idiot.

But as the Kings fell seven games under .500, they finally agreed to the deal on Tuesday. That's when Artest's agent, Mark Stevens -- apparently acting without consulting Artest -- called Kings' GM Geoff Petrie to question him about the franchise's direction. Petrie was alarmed by Stevens' tone and expressed his concern to owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, who called Pacers ownership wondering what was going on. Bird and Walsh said they would bring in Artest the next morning to see what his reservations were about going to Sacramento and to basically tell him he had no choice if he wanted to get paid. But in this case, Artest can be blamed only for picking an obscure agent who sometimes doesn't handle things any better than Artest does.

Still, Artest took the fall. By nightfall, it was widely reported -- and believed -- that Artest had told the Kings he ain't playing in no Sacramento.

Artest At It Again, Nixes Trade!

Not true. On Wednesday, Jim Gray reported on ESPN that what baffled the Kings about Artest's objections was that Artest and his agent had recently run into the Maloofs, and that Artest had told them how much he would love to play in Sacramento.

Not true, Joe Maloof said Thursday. The first time he had ever talked to Artest was by phone on Wednesday, and that Artest had said all the right things. That prompted the Maloofs to again green-light the deal.

Stevens said Thursday that he called Petrie only because "I thought me and Donnie Walsh had an understanding that we'd kind of be involved in the trade process." Fair enough; Artest deserved that much respect. So, said Stevens, he called Petrie merely to find out how serious the Kings were about continuing to rebuild a championship contender. Stevens said he heard all the right things.

Artest now says he's excited about starting over in Sacramento -- as he surely would have been early in the season.

I am rooting for Artest to jump-start the Kings with the enforcer's toughness they've always lacked on both ends. Come on Ron, lock in and prove Bird wrong. For once, make someone else look bad.

Bayless is way off

Like Donnie Walsh said....."Why didn't Ron come to us when he heard the rumors?" Instead he went to the media. This is typical Artest behaivor. If he thinks you hurt him, he doesn't address it in a mature man to man setting, he goes to the media and whines.

I think there is some merit to this article. A lot of people hate on Skip Bayliss, but he has some pretty good things to say usually. It's not all one way. All the anti Artest articles aren't right. This article probably isn't right. It's probably somewhere in the middle, but there is some good food for thought in this article.

I think the article makes a good point: Artest is a great target.

The press loves to tell weirdo Artest stories because they're amusing. I'll bet he's not as bad as he's made out to be. He's no angel though, I'm sure.

This is the stupidest thing i've ever read....How can Bayless accuse Larry of deceiving the nation when he appeared with Ron and defended him? Was it not Artest who said that he wanted to leave? It was Larry Bird (along with Walsch) who had enough faith in Artest to give him another opportunity in the 05-06 season. It was Ron Artest who betrayed Larry - any attempt to spin the truth to villify Bird has no real credibility in my opinion.

KP said:
If you find yourself agreeing with anything Skip Bayless ever says about anything, you are in trouble...
Correct!! and yes, RA is a target, but deservedly so. There are PLENTY of examples of how he has made himself the target--I haven't seen many where the media undeservedly made him a target.

piksi

Hall of Famer
KP said:
If you find yourself agreeing with anything Skip Bayless ever says about anything, you are in trouble...
Basically, if You continue reading the article past "Skip Bayless" - you are in trouble

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm already over how the trade went down, who told whom what, etc. It's over. It's done... It's about the here and the now. It's about today, tomorrow and next week. It's about what happens with Ron Artest in a Kings uniform.

Having said all that, Skip Bayless is an idiot.

;)

IndyColts1 said:
Like Donnie Walsh said....."Why didn't Ron come to us when he heard the rumors?" Instead he went to the media. This is typical Artest behaivor. If he thinks you hurt him, he doesn't address it in a mature man to man setting, he goes to the media and whines.
True, but how many times have we seen the media call on players when the players decide to keep it shut, but somehow the "angelic" media know what buttons to push for something to come out. We see it here in Sac all the time. Media members try to become buddy-buddies with the players to fish out stuff that shouldn't be out only to keep their jobs or take the network jump for more pay. Son-of-Sam Amick did that with Peja and Bonzi. The media is the necessary evil unfortunately. Artest is way too nutty and childlike to understand what doing the right things are to save his name.

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
I'm already over how the trade went down, who told whom what, etc. It's over. It's done... It's about the here and the now. It's about today, tomorrow and next week. It's about what happens with Ron Artest in a Kings uniform.

;)
So there is no rule against bashing of retarded reporters - have to remember that - might come in handy one day;)

Ron is weird. He is a trouble maker, for sure. The problem with the media is that they want to tell an engaging story. A goofy Artest story is fun for them and it gets attention. They play up his weirdness because its good business.

I would bet that he doesn't deserve a signficant part of his reputation, only some of it.

I'm guessing it's somewhere in the middle like DocHoliday said. It is kind of frustrating how everyone in the media has their version of how the trade went down when it's probably somewhere in the middle though.

lets see..in this overly long article there MUST be one thing I agree with... oh thats right this one:

But I (for one) am pulling for him to turn the Kings into The Team Nobody Wants to Mess With in the Playoffs.

VF21 said:

;)
Keyword is "Skip".

He criticized Dungy for not showing up for the Colts @ Seattle game, which, as I said, was days after the death of James Dungy.

wow...just like a message board...

dont criticize the post...just discredit the poster...

or in this case, attempt to discredit the sportswriter....because we may not like what he says...

hell, thats easy....easy to do with every last one of them...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not true, foretaz...

We actually like a couple of sports writers. There are some, however, who have consistently made it their goal in life to berate, belittle, misrepresent and otherwise sully the name of our Kings that we have built up a healthy dislike of them.

If they want to write about sports, they should at least be able to get the basics right. Some of these guys haven't even stepped foot in Sacramento in years and yet they act as though they know our team better than we do.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yuck! this reads like a press release from Artest's Agent. Half truths spun out of context and now we are supposed to belive that Poor Ron was vicitimezed by the evil back stabbing Lary Bird? I can't even imagine what combination of drugs someone would have to take for this batch of goblty-gook to make sense.

Not bagging on Ron here just the writer. I'll file this pice next to my copy of "A Million Little Pieces"

i guess my point was....u can take any sportswriter in the country and find things to say to discredit them....

thats just the nature of the beast....

u get some that u like and some that u dont...

ultimately it seems, in fairness, that whomevers opinion we agree with the most is the one we like....

in alot of ways theyre just like posters on a message board....

and if we dont like something they say, then we just hit the grabbag of discredits...and away we go...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think we need to belabor whether or not sports writers are fair game.

It's one of those things IMHO that is pretty much a given, like newbies posting LOL! in response to every post...

It's just something you accept as part of the sports message board scene. And I'm sorry, but I do not like Skip Bayless.

VF21 said:
I don't think we need to belabor whether or not sports writers are fair game.

It's one of those things IMHO that is pretty much a given, like newbies posting LOL! in response to every post...

It's just something you accept as part of the sports message board scene. And I'm sorry, but I do not like Skip Bayless.
oh, no need to apologize...at all....

thats really what i was saying...we all have some we like and dont like...and usually its because they have a tendency to share our opinions...

nothing wrong with that...in fact it makes complete sense....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, er, what?

Oh dude - that was so NOT an apology.

;)

I guess I'll need to resurrect the /sarcasm notation.

:D

acisking said:
This is the stupidest thing i've ever read....How can Bayless accuse Larry of deceiving the nation when he appeared with Ron and defended him? Was it not Artest who said that he wanted to leave? It was Larry Bird (along with Walsch) who had enough faith in Artest to give him another opportunity in the 05-06 season. It was Ron Artest who betrayed Larry - any attempt to spin the truth to villify Bird has no real credibility in my opinion.
Don't you get it. That is exactly what Skip is saying that is what Larry wants you to believe. "Hook, line, and trade bait." Skip is saying that Larry set it up to make it look like Ron betrayed them so they could look like the guys who gave him all the chances in the world. Oh this is turning into a total soap opera. Everyone trying to get something.

And I do believe Larry is a very intelligent, competitive, weasle. He was on the court too.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
What a pile of self-serving bunk. Glad to have Artest ont he team. Not going to start engaging in ridiculous excusemaking, nor am I suddenly going to start putting credence in Skip Bayless articles because gee its what we want to hear. :rolleyes: