[Game] 76ers @ Kings - 1/2/14 - 7 p.m. PST

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So people aren't confused I'm retrostarting the game thread for the 76ers-Kings thread. GO KINGS!

Last edited:
S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

upload_2014-1-2_12-5-50.png
Philadelphia
76ers
(10-21)

upload_2014-1-2_12-5-35.png
Sacramento
Kings
(10-20)

First of all, happy New Year everyone! May it be a grand year for all us Kings fans.

So, in our last 3 games, we stood our own against the defending NBA champs and took them down despite their two stars out with injury and Lebron bron with a supposed injury. However, it was our first game that we played as a collective unit on both ends of the court and we fought it out in OT.
Next game, we took it to the Spurs and blew them out in the third with a supernova performance from IT but fell short to the Spurs in the 4th quarter which is no surprise considering who their coach is and the experience they have together. I'm pretty sure they're the only team in the NBA who could play blindfolded together and still do well.
Now we move on to the road game against the Rockets. What a performance that was! Big Cousins took it to Dwight Howard like there was no tomorrow. 17 points and 16 rebounds I believe were his numbers and quite some numbers those are (All-Star status) ;)

Here we are now ready to take on Philly. Philly played a long game last night against Denver and might be a little jet lagged to say the least. However, they have a group of young guys like MCW and Turner who can light up any night.
This game in my opinion depends on one thing and one thing only: Will IT be able to tame MCW?
MCW is one of the tallest PG's in the NBA coming into his rookie season and has exploded since day 1. He will most likely finish the season as rookie of the year and then some. My question is how do we stop MCW? Surely, we we can't let IT guard him, right? But then we would have to use IT as a sub and we all know that's not going to happen. So, do we just let MCW run the show and have an all-star night while we shut down the rest of the team and hope that our offensive prowess can overcome theirs in the end or do we enrich IT's dinner with some sugar treaties and hope he has a sugar rush all over MCW? I just have a hard time seeing us stopping him no matter what we do. So, why not just let him run the show and lockdown Turner and co. for a triumphant victory in front of our home fans?

What are your opinions?

Philly is a strange team this season. Picked by many to be worse in NBA they started off season inexplicably hot and then MCW went down with injury that kept him sidelined for awhile with 76ers falling back to earth with big thud. Now of late they've started to play pretty good again, so must totally ignore this opponents similar to Kings record or it will be much more than another trap game. 76ers are not going to politely roll over tonight based on their play last few games.

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Watch out for Tony Wroten if he's playing he will get into the lane at will, the 76ers could very well outhustle us if we are not careful, this is a game we really should win, also DMC last year played poorly both times against the 76ers so hoping he can turn it around.

Don't hate Haws. Don't care about Haws. Just beat the 76ers. I think it will be tough. The poorer a teams record the harder for the Kings to beat them. Go Kings, prove me wrong.

Watch out for Tony Wroten if he's playing he will get into the lane at will, the 76ers could very well outhustle us if we are not careful, this is a game we really should win, also DMC last year played poorly both times against the 76ers so hoping he can turn it around.
Yep...if Wroten gets a lot of playing time he's going to destroy IT/Ben/Jimmer if any of those three end up being matched up against him.
I'm concerned about our guard defense in this one because Philly has the players to really exploit us.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This the official game thread. Where is tetsujin?
In Tokyo with family, I think. He lives and works north of Tokyo.

However, I don't think people get to start this thread just because they want to. It's Tetsujin's job or a mod. Some forum members just might be on some other forum member's "Ignore" list and when that happens, the thread does not exist for the person involved - like me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

However, I don't think people get to start it just because the want to. It's Tetsujin's job or a mod.
It was nice of SacKings2002... to start the thread, but I agree that it's Tetsujin's job. It's not cast in stone or anything, but I think Tetsujin has more than earned the right because of the incredible job he's done. It's one of the things new folks to the board don't realize at first. We've got some pretty good traditions going on around here and the game thread, which was handled admirably by piksi for a number of years, has passed to Tetsujin.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good game and I'm going to be very interested in hearing the reaction Spencer Hawes gets when he steps onto the court. If he had any class at all, he would apologize to the Kings fans for his cloddish actions but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

It was nice of SacKings2002... to start the thread, but I agree that it's Tetsujin's job. It's not cast in stone or anything, but I think Tetsujin has more than earned the right because of the incredible job he's done. It's one of the things new folks to the board don't realize at first. We've got some pretty good traditions going on around here and the game thread, which was handled admirably by piksi for a number of years, has passed to Tetsujin.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a good game and I'm going to be very interested in hearing the reaction Spencer Hawes gets when he steps onto the court. If he had any class at all, he would apologize to the Kings fans for his cloddish actions but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
Sorry for the ignorace, what did hawes say/do that was bad? I was fairly young during his tenure here, so I didn't read much online about the Kings, I just mostly watched the games and went on the team website for news. :D

Entity

Hall of Famer
Hawes is playing. You'll give yourself a stroke if you try to keep from commenting. ;)
Actually I will have to watch later tonight. I'm from alabama you know. They will kick me out of the state if I don't watch sugar bowl tonight. Roll tide

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry for the ignorace, what did hawes say/do that was bad? I was fairly young during his tenure here, so I didn't read much online about the Kings, I just mostly watched the games and went on the team website for news. :D
It wasn't so much what he did while he was here, although he did manage to rub a lot of people the wrong way. It was some of the things he said when Hansen was attempting to buy the team and move it to Seattle. Hawes, who comes from Seattle, was very vocal in his support and made some comments that were less than flattering about Sacramento and the fans. Since Hawes had been a King at one point, a lot of us - me included - definitely thought his comments were uncalled for and disrespectful.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

My bad. I didn't know the rules of starting a game thread. Just wanted to make sure there was one up cause the traffic on here was pretty slow throughout the day and I felt like discussing the game :(
(First day of work for everyone I presume) :D

Haha that's funny that I know Piksi was a Serbian just from his username. Piksi aka Dragan Stojkovic is a legend in Serbian and European football (soccer) ahhhhh good memories :')

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

However, I don't think people get to start this thread just because they want to. It's Tetsujin's job or a mod. Some forum members just might be on some other forum member's "Ignore" list and when that happens, the thread does not exist for the person involved - like me.
To play devil's advocate, I've started game threads a number of times with no complaints. I think the issue stems from not knowing when Piksi in the past or more recently Tetsujin will or will not be here. If these threads are reserved for Tetsujin, which I'd have no issue with, shouldn't we know exactly when he can and can't do them?

There has been times when no one, not posters nor mod's have made game threads until mins before tip off. I'd prefer someone stepping in as the OP did. Gets the discussion going and I'd assume that the main purpose of these threads.

I had no idea there were now "rules". If some here want structure, an easy solution is to have a cut off. Three hours before the game if no thread is up, someone can step in and make one. Makes sense to me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No prob, SacKings2002. I kept your narrative, did a sneaky mod thing to pre-empt the thread start and everyone should be happy. I did lose your poll in the process, but it was unanimous anyway. :)

If you get a chance, go back to 2011 or so and look at the game threads. Piksi was a legend in his own time, and probably the most sarcastic Kings fan you 'll ever meet. He is missed.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

Anyone watching the Warriors-Heat game? I wish our team can play like this next year.
The difference: Their shooting guard is an established shooter who can create his own shot and handle the ball well.
Their SF is a world class defender and all around beast.
Their PF is a great rebounder and offensive threat.
Their PG is a world class player who can take over the game at any moment (ala Cousins) ;) and is excellent on defense despite being small.
Their Center, Bogut is a world class defender and rebounder aka rim protector. When he is in the game, nobody dares drive to the basket much like Ibaka status.

Crazy thing is, we're probably 2-3 players away to being able to match that level meaning we can compete with anyone on a night to night basis.

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

No prob, SacKings2002. I kept your narrative, did a sneaky mod thing to pre-empt the thread start and everyone should be happy. I did lose your poll in the process, but it was unanimous anyway. :)

If you get a chance, go back to 2011 or so and look at the game threads. Piksi was a legend in his own time, and probably the most sarcastic Kings fan you 'll ever meet. He is missed.
Thanks, will do :)

Out of curiosity, why is he no longer around?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To play devil's advocate, I've started game threads a number of times with no complaints. I think the issue stems from not knowing when Piksi in the past or more recently Tetsujin will or will not be here. If these threads are reserved for Tetsujin, which I'd have no issue with, shouldn't we know exactly when he can and can't do them?

There has been times when no one, not posters nor mod's have made game threads until mins before tip off. I'd prefer someone stepping in as the OP did. Gets the discussion going and I'd assume that the main purpose of these threads.
No need to make a major deal out of it. Not everything needs a devil's advocate IMHO. Part of the difference is that you and pretty much any of the old-timers starting a game thread is easily spotted. When SacKings2002... did it, no one was expecting it. I think we can most likely work something out. We've traditionally started game threads the evening before or morning of the game, so I'm pretty sure we can make it all work. I do know for a fact that Tetsujin truly wants to continue and, since he puts forth a LOT of effort, I think it's his job for the duration. Piksi had a backup; I don't see why Tetsujin couldn't...

Now, back to the game?

I'm predicting a Kings win...and another career night for Spencer Hawes, who actually seems to enjoy being booed and ridiculed. My theory is it's because bad attention is better than none at all. ;)

S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

I had no idea there were now "rules". If some here want structure, an easy solution is to have a cut off. Three hours before the game if no thread is up, someone can step in and make one. Makes sense to me.

Agreed. If at all possible, I wouldn't mind this rule applied because some of us want to discuss tactics and lineups a couple hours pre game. Then, once a mod sees that the thread is created, they can modify it? Idk how threads before were created and how many hours before the game started but starting it 3 hours before would be nice just a thought :)