49ers

SLAB

Hall of Famer
While Chad is seen as the anti-Christ of the No Fun League part of football, I love the guy.

He is soooooo damned cocky, but he does it in a goofy light-hearted style that isn't as obnoxious as some...He's an entertainer, and he knows it.

And yes. Willis is that (explitive) good.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hill is opening my eyes.

I thought he would be just as terrible as Smith/Dilfer, but so far he actually looks like a capable NFL QB...Granted he's three quarters into his playing career.

I'll take the small positive to make me think positive about this team.

Hill is opening my eyes.

I thought he would be just as terrible as Smith/Dilfer, but so far he actually looks like a capable NFL QB...Granted he's three quarters into his playing career.

I'll take the small positive to make me think positive about this team.

Yea he's better than both. Dilfer is trash and if Smith is ever going to be good I dunno, but I definitely think he needs to ride the bench for a while and learn from watching.

I definitely like how Hill can side step and step up in the pocket to avoid pressure, allowing a chance to see more clearly for his check down or scramble opportunity.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hill put Smith and Dilfer to shame with this game, and I think if he puts up these kind of performances throughout the rest of the year he has put Alex's entire career to shame...Maybe a stretch, but I really don't want to suffer through another year of Smith.

There were two things that really stuck out to me though.

1: The willingness to use both of our talented tight ends...Davis and Walker can both be major weapons if actually used, and for the first time since the came to SF, they were both properly used in a game...I don't really think I ever saw Smith or Dilfer make a point of getting it to either of them, and they seemed as afterthoughts.

2: Darell Jackson seemed to respond to him. His first good game as a Niner. I think if you have a good QB throwing to him, he'll return to form.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Hey, I'm just starting to watch the game. Sounds like it is worth it. If Hill did well, it shows how bad Smith is. What a waste of a pick.

Hill put Smith and Dilfer to shame with this game, and I think if he puts up these kind of performances throughout the rest of the year he has put Alex's entire career to shame...Maybe a stretch, but I really don't want to suffer through another year of Smith.

There were two things that really stuck out to me though.

1: The willingness to use both of our talented tight ends...Davis and Walker can both be major weapons if actually used, and for the first time since the came to SF, they were both properly used in a game...I don't really think I ever saw Smith or Dilfer make a point of getting it to either of them, and they seemed as afterthoughts.

2: Darell Jackson seemed to respond to him. His first good game as a Niner. I think if you have a good QB throwing to him, he'll return to form.
Well yea Hill has been our best QB, and he found DJax for some big plays tonight and threw more catchable passes.

I'll say Shaun Hill...any questions!? :D

Proud of him and finally someone who can hit the open reciever!

We get a passing game and then Frank has holes to run through!

Defense played well despite letting Carson stand back there all night.

Great win, I'm hoping Hill can be our Jewel in the rough ^_^

My memory of Smith is clouded by the craptastic play after his injury, but I don't think Hill performed any better than Smith did last year and this year before the injury. Hill didn't even throw for more than 200 yards (something people complained about with Smith not doing).

That isn't exactly a good thing for Smith, though. He has to be much better than Hill to be worth keeping. I'm just saying that even though I was thrilled to see a little bit of offense again, I hope people don't have short memories and think Hill is better than Smith had been.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This game left me very confused about a lot of things. It is difficult to believe that we have found our quarterback but Hill performed well. The other half of my confusion has to do with the use of Vernon Davis. Davis has great potential but has been almost ignored for two years. Not always but for the most part he's been ignored yet in this game he caught 5 and scored a touchdown.

In any case, we better hold on to Hill. :)

Smith played like garbage before the injury too.

Hill owns the two best QB ratings on our team this year with 106 and a 105.

http://www.nfl.com/players/alexsmith/gamelogs?id=SMI031126

Hill's presense in the pocket is better, doesn't panic and bounce around like a rabbit in the pocket and he has threw to the open guy without over throwing them by a mile.

It was refreshing to see.
Reminescent of the Charlie Frye/Derek Anderson situation in Cleveland. Shaun Hill looked decent in his past two games. He should get the starts for the rest of the season.

Smith played like garbage before the injury too.

Hill owns the two best QB ratings on our team this year with 106 and a 105.

http://www.nfl.com/players/alexsmith/gamelogs?id=SMI031126

Hill's presense in the pocket is better, doesn't panic and bounce around like a rabbit in the pocket and he has threw to the open guy without over throwing them by a mile.

It was refreshing to see.
It was refreshing to see. But other than a better completion percentage it looked a lot like Smith of last year.

I sure hope Hill plays the final two games this year and continues to put up good numbers. I'm just not convinced that he'll provide anything more than a healthy Smith already does. I'd like to see someone who has performed better than both of them be brought in to compete for the starting job next year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Hill only plays as good as a healthy Smith, then we certainly don't need them both. I don't think Hill is the answer either, and I'm getting this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach that San Francisco could make a serious attempt to get Donovan McNabb. And quite frankly, I don't know how I feel about that.

I loved McNabb back before his injuries. I just don't have faith that a change in scenery would restore him to the QB of old...

Let Hill start the rest of the year for sure... but I also seriously doubt he's a long-term answer at QB for us.

And I don't think McNabb is either. Then again I don't really like the guy :) I think we'll need to find another random diamond in the rough a la Jeff Garcia a few years back.

I just kinda doubt it's gonna be Shaun Hill.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ugh...Donovan would be a disaster.

I see him going the way of Daunte Culpepper and just losing it all very soon with all the mileage on that guys body.

I'd rather have an unknown project of a QB get drafted and throw him into the mix with Smith and Hill for next year.

Whoever looks/plays the best gets the assured starting gig, no strings attached.

It was refreshing to see. But other than a better completion percentage it looked a lot like Smith of last year.

I sure hope Hill plays the final two games this year and continues to put up good numbers. I'm just not convinced that he'll provide anything more than a healthy Smith already does. I'd like to see someone who has performed better than both of them be brought in to compete for the starting job next year.

I've watched Smith since day one and I would say Hill has showed way more than Smith ever has, healthy or not. The one thing that stands out to me, Hill checks down his receivers when they are covered. 2 years into his NFL career Smith still does not do that. He freaks out and leaves the pocket way to quick. Hill gives his receivers a chance to run their route.
I know that Hill is not the second coming. I know that he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, the 49ers have been more entertaining these past 2 games than the last couple of years. And he gives us a better chance to win than any other qb we have.

I'm over this team. Fire Nolan's ***. Good job giving up our top 5 pick to New England btw.
If this hadn't happened, the Niners would have a shot at my boy Colt Brennan. That would be big. As it stands right now, they'd have to trade back into the top three (?, haven't looked that hard at where Brennan is projected to go, but he has to be a top three pick) to get him.

Who did you guys get for that pick anyways?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Joe Staley.

An O-lineman who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the line.

And I don't think Colt will be going as early as you think, and could potentially fall to the 30's because of the dreaded 'gimmicky' system offense they run out in Hawaii.

If he falls to us, I say grab him at all costs.

Last edited:
Brennan isn't going that high, Matt Ryan projects to be the first QB off the board. The two QBs from Kentucky universities Brohm and Woodson may also go ahead of Brennan. The criticism that Smith gets for coming out of the Mountain West, Brennan comes out of the even more competition obscure WAC. I get that he's considered more pro ready, but how do people look past the competition Brennan has thrown against?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Patrick Willis is going to be a player that actually makes the average fan sit up and take notice of the defense, much like Ronnie Lott used to. Congrats to both Willis and Lee!!!

:D

Brennan isn't going that high, Matt Ryan projects to be the first QB off the board. The two QBs from Kentucky universities Brohm and Woodson may also go ahead of Brennan. The criticism that Smith gets for coming out of the Mountain West, Brennan comes out of the even more competition obscure WAC. I get that he's considered more pro ready, but how do people look past the competition Brennan has thrown against?
It's like I said, I haven't looked at any projections. I just know that when a QB can throw 90 touchdowns over the span of two years, he's pretty durn good. He has the tools, etc. I'll pay more attention around the time of the Combine, but I guess any projections before then are premature, huh? Look at Brady Quinn, Matt Leinart and Aaron Rodgers.

Chase Daniels is still an underclassmen, isn't he?

Daniels is a junior.

I'm not hating on Brennan, he might go in the first round but I don't think he's going to be the first QB off the board.
If Daniels declares early, then that would be four or five qb's that could go in the first round. Pretty deep quarterback draft.

We'll see what happens around the time of the Combine. Til then, congrats to Willis and Lee on making the Pro Bowl.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Hill has officially put both the Dilfer and Smith to complete and utter shame on the year.

Hill should definitly be penciled in at number 1 next year when camp opens.