[2016] The Finals

Who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Credit to Coach Lue for coming in and getting the job done. He figured out how to beat GSW and the guys went out and got it done.
Anyone could have figured out how to beat them. Play the warriors at full strength. They took them to six games with just Lebron. Cavs had an easy road to the finals and I'm sure Blatt would have done the same job Lue did.

Congrats to the Cleveland Cavaliers and the City of Cleveland. Happy to see Lebron, their prodigal son, finally bring a championship to Cleveland.

I can see Warriors fans now crying and blaming their loss on the referees , Draymond's suspension, and the loss of Bogut to injury. But they forget how they benefited from other's teams injuries and had a Mickey mouse path to the Championship last year with all the opposing teams missing key players to injuries including Cleveland.

I'll admit, I don't like LeBron. Therefore, I was a Warriors fan for 7 games.

Warriors just played a terrible brand of basketball for the final handful of games. Just horrible. 90% of their offense was taking jump shots. and they weren't hitting them. Watching them was so frustrating, because they kept on taking them. And missing them. Shoulda driven the ball in more, IMHO.

On to Cleveland. Props to LeBron for banking on his guarantee to Cleveland. I was pissed off at him when he made "The Decision". Not so much because he made the decision itself, but because he thought he had to go on national television to do so. I would have had a helluva lot more respect for the guy had he just made an announcement through his representative, like normal free agents do. I thought, at that time, that he basically gave the middle finger to the city of Cleveland, and their response was completely justified, IMHO. I earned some of that respect back, however, when he returned to Cleveland. I thought that was a nice gesture on his part.

I'm happy for LeBron, I really am. But I'm not going to like him as a result.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wouldn't worry too much about the Warriors -- they're still arguably the most talented team, and other than concerns about how Curry's hormone treatments are going to effect him now that Lebron completely unmanned him the last couple of games, there's no reason they shouldn;t be right in the mix and possibly favored again next year.

The balloon is punctured though. And I'm really hoping it puts a check on the out of control 3pt chucking metrichead revolution.

glad the warriors lost shooting 41 3's - basically half their shots.

will be interesting to see them blow it up somewhat to get Durrant. We'll beat them regardless.

didnt bother watching but if it had anything to do with the #...hell yeah im hating. I'm "that guy" that thinks phil jackson's championships were handed to him on a silver platter when he inherited his pre-built championship teams. MJ/pippen or shaq/kobe teams were bound to be champions no matter who coached them. Just like lebron+any star will get to the east finals no matter who's coaching.

oh yeah, i hope this performance shuts up those who say they wouldnt want lebron on the kings or that they wouldnt trade any of our players for him

Last edited:
LeBron is the first player to ever lead a series in points, rebound, assists, steals and blocks. Whether or not you like LeBron, appreciate what you just saw because it may never happen again.

While many haters will point to the 3-4 record in the Finals, consider that his teams are 4-2 in game 7's -- including 2-0 in the NBA Finals. That's getting it done when it matters most.

I'd argue that LBJ led the Cavs to the Finals but lost to clearly superior teams in 2007 (Spurs) and 2015 (Warriors). The Warriors were clearly superior last season because of the injuries to Kyrie and Love. Just having Kyrie healthy this postseason made the difference, as LBJ was just as dominate and spectacular last season. But he didn't have the supporting cast to get it done. This year he did. It's that simple.

The Finals losses to Dallas and San Antonio are worthy of criticism, even though those were outstanding opponents, but the other 2 losses aren't on James at all.

I was pissed off at him when he made "The Decision". Not so much because he made the decision itself, but because he thought he had to go on national television to do so. I would have had a helluva lot more respect for the guy had he just made an announcement through his representative, like normal free agents do. I thought, at that time, that he basically gave the middle finger to the city of Cleveland, and their response was completely justified, IMHO. I earned some of that respect back, however, when he returned to Cleveland. I thought that was a nice gesture on his part.

I'm happy for LeBron, I really am. But I'm not going to like him as a result.
I felt the same but...

glad the warriors lost shooting 41 3's - basically half their shots.
It's all fun and games when those awful shot attempts go down. But when they don't, they look even more ridiculous.

One thing I've been saying through all this talk of how the Warriors would fare in different eras is that they wouldn't be able to sustain their shot making under the old rules. Physical play wears you down and affects your legs. That's the reason we've never seen anybody shoot like this before. If today's rules existed going back 30 years, you'd have seen a lot of players doing it.

The Cavs played just physically enough that it effectively wore down Steph and Klay to the point that they looked like every elite level shooter that has come and gone before them.

Oh, and one last thing for anybody claiming that the Warriors were the better team but lost because of Draymond's suspension and injuries to Bogut and a less than 100% Steph ---- the Cavs endured the same thing last season without Kyrie and Love. You can't have it both ways. If the player losses cost the Warriors this season, it cost the Cavs last season. Can't have it both ways.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^^ That put tears in my eyes. Great moment.

And I am so glad the Warriors lost. I hope this puts their arrogant-*** fans in check and maybe that will make their team (minus Draymond) a little more tolerable as a whole. And hopefully the bandwagon jerks leave for a new flavor of the month. Dig their LBJ jerseys out of storage.

Why would this loss put a puncture in the GS system? They got to game 7 of the Finals. That's a pretty darn good accomplishment. It's not like they got blown out of the first round.

All this talk about "see I told you jumpshooters wear down" is complete and utter nonsense. The Warriors jumpshot their way to a place no other team except the Cavs got to. The Cavs wore down Steph and Klay and yet, GS was up 3-1 and nearly won game 7, so what does that say about the "jumpshooters?"

People wishfully hoping teams are going to blow up their systems because the Warriors lost a close game 7 that could have gone either way, you are in for a rude awakening.

All this talk about "see I told you jumpshooters wear down" is complete and utter nonsense. The Warriors jumpshot their way to a place no other team except the Cavs got to. The Cavs wore down Steph and Klay and yet, GS was up 3-1 and nearly won game 7, so what does that say about the "jumpshooters?".
Hmmm.. How they fare in GM7? How did Curry fare the entire series?

He was wore down by both OKC and Cleveland. Physical play wears on legs. Defenses can't get away with much physicality during the regular season, but the playoffs are still a different animal. And that's precisely what happened this postseason.

Not only that, Kyrie's presence in this series forced Steph and Klay to have to work harder on the defensive end which also helped to wear down their legs.

The reason GSW led 2-0 and 3-1 was because the Cavs left the Warriors role players wide open and they were hitting. And Cleveland wasn't playing well. But that all changed. Even in GM7, it was Draymond that kept GSW in the lead and gave them a chance. But Klay and Steph shot them out of it. 6 for 24 from 3. Tired legs.

Physical play. That's how you beat a jumpshooting team.

If Kyrie and Love were healthy last postseason, I doubt that they would have lost that 2-1 series lead and the result would have been the same as this postseason.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why would this loss put a puncture in the GS system? They got to game 7 of the Finals. That's a pretty darn good accomplishment. It's not like they got blown out of the first round.

All this talk about "see I told you jumpshooters wear down" is complete and utter nonsense. The Warriors jumpshot their way to a place no other team except the Cavs got to. The Cavs wore down Steph and Klay and yet, GS was up 3-1 and nearly won game 7, so what does that say about the "jumpshooters?"

People wishfully hoping teams are going to blow up their systems because the Warriors lost a close game 7 that could have gone either way, you are in for a rude awakening.
The thing is that this is probably the last year for this iteration of this Warriors team. Harrison Barnes is gone as a free agent, Andre looked old in the finals and isn't getting older, and if the Warriors are going to make a play for Durant like people seem to think, they'll need to get rid of some pieces to make things work both financially and otherwise.

Sure, they'll still have Steph and Klay and Green but, as we've seen in these playoffs, when Steph is off, he can look like a hot mess, Green's probably going to have a harder time getting away with some of his moves from here on out, and I still think that the Warriors might need to get rid of Klay to have a shot at Durant (who I still think stays in OKC when its all said and done).

While their big 3 of Curry, Thompson, and Green is still pretty young and just entering their primes, a lot of the other Warrior core pieces are pretty old: Bogut (31 and injury prone), Iguodala (32), Barbosa (33), Varejao (33), Shaun Livingston (30 and on surgically rebuilt legs) and all mostly free agents. That's essentially the Warriors' entire playoff rotation not named Ezeli, Curry, Klay, or Green.

Add in Steph needing a new contract in a year (I can't imagine his new contract being as team friendly as his pre-MVP seasons extension was) and, while they aren't ever going to be bad with the pieces that they have, it'll probably be a lot harder to win as they have from here on out.

^^ That put tears in my eyes. Great moment.

And I am so glad the Warriors lost. I hope this puts their arrogant-*** fans in check and maybe that will make their team (minus Draymond) a little more tolerable as a whole. And hopefully the bandwagon jerks leave for a new flavor of the month. Dig their LBJ jerseys out of storage.
They can't. They burned them and wished him death a few years back.

Hmmm.. How they fare in GM7? How did Curry fare the entire series?

He was wore down by both OKC and Cleveland. Physical play wears on legs. Defenses can't get away with much physicality during the regular season, but the playoffs are still a different animal. And that's precisely what happened this postseason.
Up until game 6, Curry had 23.5 pts, 4.8 RB, and 4.0 AST while shooting .424 from three. Those are pretty good numbers. I don't know what series you were watching.

Not only that, Kyrie's presence in this series forced Steph and Klay to have to work harder on the defensive end which also helped to wear down their legs.
So Steph and Klay don't have to guard other players during the regular season? It's not rocket science Curry is an average defender at best and teams have tried to exploit that all season. The only thing those teams didn't have was a legit top 3 GOAT player, not just a potential HOF player.

The reason GSW led 2-0 and 3-1 was because the Cavs left the Warriors role players wide open and they were hitting. And Cleveland wasn't playing well. But that all changed. Even in GM7, it was Draymond that kept GSW in the lead and gave them a chance. But Klay and Steph shot them out of it. 6 for 24 from 3. Tired legs.
Tired legs or just one game? Why didn't Draymond have tired legs? Didn't he make a bunch of threes? Curry was 6-13 from 3 in game 6. Did his body just shut down drastically between games 6 and 7?

Physical play. That's how you beat a jumpshooting team.
I think having Lebron James helps a lot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
When it mattered, the jumpers were gone for them. Live by the jumper....

In the last 3 games of basically the all time Finals collapse (no other NBA team had ever come back from down 3-1 before, let alone against a 73 win team), Golden State:

1) averaged 95.7ppg (with 2 of the 3 games at home)
2) shot 97-253 from the field, 38.3%
3) shot 44-123 from three, 35.7%
4) did not score a single point in the final 4:39 of Game 7

they would've been eliminated by OKC had they not choked. dub's style of play is highly dependent on shooting.. some nights your on some nights your off. we've just witnessed if you bottle up klay/steph and force the other guys to win it for them ... you have a great shot at beating them.

i feel real good about the kings chance bout making some noise in the playoffs this upcoming season. we got the best bigman in the league. something both of those teams don't have.

No need to crap on jump-shooting teams. Warriors were amazing this season. You can't take anything away from them. The Cavs just slightly outplayed them.

You know what I find funny? How the game winning shot was.....*gasp* A JUMPSHOT. ....also a 3PT SHOT.

Jumpshooting era is alive and well folks.. you better embrace it. No need to talk crap about the Warriors when we went 0-4 against them. The Warriors are amazing.

Up until game 6, Curry had 23.5 pts, 4.8 RB, and 4.0 AST while shooting .424 from three. Those are pretty good numbers. I don't know what series you were watching.
"pretty good numbers" aren't why stephen curry was named mvp. with lebron james' playing at an otherworldly level in the back half of these finals, curry was absolutely pedestrian by his own lofty standards. he looked like a role player out there during game 7, and one who throws up garbage shots, at that. lebron has taken the knocks throughout his career for shrinking from big moments. curry should take them, too. he didn't show up when it mattered most. 17 points on 6-19 shooting (4-14 from 3). only 2 assists as a starting pg for a team that prides itself on ball movement. continually roasted on defense by a cavs team prepared to exploit his weaknesses. it wasn't a good look for a player who's had the "unanimous mvp" tag attached to his name the entire playoffs...