2009 NCAA Tournament

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Went down to Berkeley for the Sweet 16 games in this bracket. What a blast!!! The Iowa St/Michigan St was exciting from start to finish. That was really anybody's game.

Stanford & Ohio St was close until halfway thru the 2nd half. Twice Stanford went on mini runs and both times Ohio St brought it back close. I kept thinking that Stanford had better turn up the jets a notch which they finally did. The game was much closer than the final score indicated. But, HURRAY, the Cardinal finally took off and did not look back.

That was my first time attending NCAA's March Madness. I loved it! I upgraded my single session ticket to an all session ticket when I first arrived. Can't wait til Monday.

...That was my first time attending NCAA's March Madness. I loved it! I upgraded my single session ticket to an all session ticket when I first arrived. Can't wait til Monday.
I can't wait until next year...when Arco Arena is one of the regional locations in next season's NCAA women's tournament! :)

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great time in Berkeley. I wish I was there to see it. However, I did ask my Mom to tape the Ohio State/Stanford game, because I was in San Francisco that same evening for a charity fundraiser which I had committed to attend.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Just wanted to give a shout out to the Cal Bears. While UConn is a dominant program, Cal still went to Trenton to give em a game. Cal was up by 8 at half. No one else has had that big of a lead on UConn.

So, while you may have lost in the Sweet 16 to the most dominant team in the women's game this year........

Congrats on reaching the Sweet 16 for the first time ever.

Congrats on a great season.

Appel was crazy tonight....

And dagnabit...I took a major hit tonight in my brackets (thankyouverymuch
Maryland..not!)....Needless to say, I will be rooting for Purdue tomorrow as a result, so I can get back into the race. ;)

I am not a big follower of Women's College Basketball until the tournament, so I admit I am just now getting to know Angel McCoughtry. She can play no doubt, but man she is very abrasive in personality. Her exchange with Kara Lawson last night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmNXFOqAqFA was rather weird and unneccessary.

Is she always like this?
i had kinda the same experience ... i've seen her play before, and i was looking forward to hearing what she had to say ... she didn't come off as articulate or thoughtful ... weird and unnecessary ... indeed !

Appel was crazy tonight....

And dagnabit...I took a major hit tonight in my brackets (thankyouverymuch
Maryland..not!)....Needless to say, I will be rooting for Purdue tomorrow as a result, so I can get back into the race. ;)
did tara leave her the game to long ??? marissa coleman ran out of gas ... there was no need to run jayne down either ... but i had to go before the game ended ... i hope she still has something left ...

i guess there's time to rest ...

i had kinda the same experience ... i've seen her play before, and i was looking forward to hearing what she had to say ... she didn't come off as articulate or thoughtful ... weird and unnecessary ... indeed !
I got the impression that it was her and her team's mentality that they don't get the respect they deserve. I've posted before that I thought she played with a chip on her shoulder and maybe that's what makes her good. She does come off as abrasive, but I'm starting to lean towards the opinion that she's extremely passionate about playing...not necessarily a bad thing, but can rub people the wrong way. After her comments towards Kara, I couldn't believe she said that. Saying that, I did find it humorous and had to laugh about it.

I got the impression that it was her and her team's mentality that they don't get the respect they deserve. I've posted before that I thought she played with a chip on her shoulder and maybe that's what makes her good. She does come off as abrasive, but I'm starting to lean towards the opinion that she's extremely passionate about playing...not necessarily a bad thing, but can rub people the wrong way. After her comments towards Kara, I couldn't believe she said that. Saying that, I did find it humorous and had to laugh about it.
thanks for the clarification !

well, if she can channel that in to great playing, more power to her ... nothing wrong with that ...

she plays with a lot of frowns and scowls too ... maybe disrespect, or perceived disrespect, is her way to amp up ...

in terms of interview content on it's own ... meh ...

Last edited:
thanks for the clarification !

well, if she can channel that in to great playing, more power to her ... nothing wrong with that ...

she plays with a lot of frowns and scowls too ... maybe disrespect, or perceived disrespect, is her way to amp up ...

in terms of interview content on it's own ... meh ...
I haven't really followed her until this season. I hate the scowls/frowns/etc. but I'm starting to interpret it as her passion for the game, not necessarily being a diva or anything like that. I'm hoping she "grows up" and lets her game speak for itself (cause she can flat out play) but she's going to the final four for the first time, so I expect her to exude emotion.

did tara leave her the game to long ??? marissa coleman ran out of gas ... there was no need to run jayne down either ... but i had to go before the game ended ... i hope she still has something left ...

i guess there's time to rest ...
I still don't know how or why this game was so close. I think Tara had to leave Jayne in, considering how quickly Iowa State can score (ask Michigan State). Jayne looks like she's in great shape and I am very impressed with her combination of strength and speed/conditioning.

If you want respect, how about not laying down in front of the UConn bus in your conference tournament final ladies...just a thought....

As for the outburst...I've seen players go off on a media slight before. Maryland was ESPECIALLY good at it last year when Kara said more than once that the Terps would be the first #1 seed to fall because they are horrible defenders - especially on the perimeter. I can't remember if she insinuated that they were overseeded, but she clearly felt strongly that they wouldn't get to the Final Four. In a media day interview prior to their game against Stanford in Spokane Coleman went off, not mentioning Kara by name but only saying ESPN says this and ESPN says that... Frese had made sure that they read and watch clips of what the media says about them. Turns out Maryland got lit up by Stanford on the perimeter the next night so I guess Kara was right about things ;)

I also guess Angel just wanted to make sure Kara knew who she was talking to. I chalk it up to overexhuberance and getting caught in the moment. But she might want to learn to be more appropriately vague. Calling people out doesn't get you respect, what you do on the floor does and her game is much more articulate than her mouth is right now so she should let the former do most of the talking now.

I hope her teammates call screen when Ms McCoughtry comes to ARCO...I see one in her future ;)

Re: Appel, I thought she looked tired midway through the second half. She was asking not to get the ball on a few possessions it looked like because ISU was really starting to rough her up. At least twice she looked the passer off to another open player. She later caught her second wind and continued her onslaught. As quickly as ISU could score, I would not have assumed any lead was safe, I would have trusted her and her teammates to know how to suck it up and finish that game off so VanDerveer could empty the bench once either time or score made it appropriate to do so.

I didn't get a chance to see any of this play out live yesterday so I went looking to see how Kara handled the situation since that wasn't contained in the YouTube clip.... Even though it's hard for the league to get much up on their website timely or accurately, I am amused that there is already a page devoted to Angel vs Kara...:rolleyes: Anywhooo, I found Kara's side...

I heart you Kara Lawson :)

http://my.wnba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1800004951

...Lawson responded by giving McCoughtry credit for propelling Louisville to the Final Four and making her eat her words on her Maryland pick.

"Angel, I will be in St. Louis at the Final Four. Congratulations to you, a big effort from an All-American."

Lawson also offered McCoughtry some advice.
"Don't come to St. Louis to see me; come ready to win two games."

dearest uncommonclay,

because of obligations I had @ Cal on Sunday, I saw very little of either evening Sweet 16 games, as in none of the Rutgers/Purdue and a tiny bit of the Ok/Pitt game.

I believe she still scored but was below what she had been averaging in the tournament. That she still scored against a longer team should speak to her ability to get and make shots.

Anybody else have thoughts on Zellous vs Oklahoma?

Just wondering...how many of you guys have been interviewed right after reaching the Final Four for the first time ever (and first time in school history)? :rolleyes:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Just wondering...how many of you guys have been interviewed right after reaching the Final Four for the first time ever (and first time in school history)? :rolleyes:

I am not down on McCoughtry, but I do think that she's a big girl now and is ready to go into the pros. I get the impression that you think she was being maligned by the folks here. Like the advice offered by Kara (from her experiences), I saw what was said here as concern for a very very talented player. She does need to let her game speak for itself and not take things personally. She will have praise and criticism throughout her career. If she reacts unfavorably, the criticism will only be more harsh. She (or any player) does not need the distraction.

While I expect that she was excited to reach the Final Four, it may be only one of many excitements in her life. How pros handle such things tend to be signs of maturity.

Having said all that, I want her as a Monarch. She is an exceptional talent and one that will help any team that lands her. Of course, I expect her to go at #1. I wish her only well.

6th, had she made the "Kara Lawson/Barack Obama" outburst 30 minutes after the end of that game, I'd agree with you and with her dissenters on here. However, the interview took place a mere 30 seconds after her team had pulled off an unthinkable feat in her senior year. Of course she's going to be excited and spout off at the mouth. She's still a college kid! I know she's a future pro and will be a very good player in this league if she develops properly, but can we at least separate the future from the heat of the moment and allow this young person to have her moment? Kara didn't seem too hot and bothered by the so-called "call out", so why are people not named Kara Lawson so up in arms about McCoughtry's reaction? Is it because of who she is (the "anti-Maya Moore") or because of the team she defeated? I don't get it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it would take more than 30 seconds of youthful exuberance after a huge win to wish ill of a fierce competitor who has the chance to develop into something special. Prior to this tournament, the last we saw of Angel McCoughtry and Louisville was them getting their butts handed to them by UConn. Personally, I didn't think they'd make it out of the Sweet 16...but they did. Most people didn't see them getting past Maryland, but they did...so she had every right to make those folks eat crow.

I'm not a McCoughtry Fan Club member or anything, but it's annoying to read the disparaging remarks about someone who's such a fierce competitor. That's why I have to say something in response to the venom spewed in her direction (not necessarily here, but elsewhere). If most teams had a couple of Angel McCoughtrys, maybe coaches wouldn't have to worry so much about job security. I don't know what Jeff Walz will do without Angel next year, and we can only imagine how much better Maryland would've been if they'd bothered to extend a scholarship to her.

Would I welcome her on the Monarchs in 2009? Absofreakinglutely! And guess what? Kara Lawson would, too. Because that's not going to happen, I won't devote any more time to thinking about it.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it would take more than 30 seconds of youthful exuberance after a huge win to wish ill of a fierce competitor who has the chance to develop into something special. Prior to this tournament, the last we saw of Angel McCoughtry and Louisville was them getting their butts handed to them by UConn. Personally, I didn't think they'd make it out of the Sweet 16...but they did. Most people didn't see them getting past Maryland, but they did...so she had every right to make those folks eat crow.

Would I welcome her on the Monarchs in 2009? Absofreakinglutely! And guess what? Kara Lawson would, too. Because that's not going to happen, I won't devote any more time to thinking about it.
What about the other some 50 youthful athletes on Oklahoma, UConn, Stanford and Louisville who was happy and excited to win. They did not call out Lawson or anybody else who picked against them before they won. I don't buy the whole youth thing when it comes to composure, especially in the easy times of winning. Had she lost and acted a fool, i would have understood that more.

Listen, I don't even know that young lady on or off the court. All I know is that my very first opinion of Angel McCoughtry was weird and she came across as not composed. Would I want her on my team? I have no idea, because i have not seen her enough, but sure, she is talented. I did not think she played that well against Maryland. But she has two games to change my opinion. But in the mean time I think what she did (not so much what she said) was self-indulgent and immature compared to other mature/young athletes who find the ability to be composed in front of the camera especially when you win.

courtney paris was articulate, heartfelt, and thoughtful last night ... i wasn't trying to rag on angel, just trying to understand her ... but it was a weird a first impression ...

Last edited:
I'm assuming people watched the ASU/UConn game. Briann January looked good out there. Of all the projected 1st round point guards I think the talent ranking goes Montgomery, Toliver and January. However, the best fit for the Monarchs would go in reverse order IMO. With that said, I'm still hoping for Zellous though :)

January absolutely is the best fit out of that group. Bri picked up the offensive side of her game this season, the defensive side has always been top notch. I'd have to double check to see, but she might be (statistically) the on par with the other two. I'm also thinking she has the best A/TO ratio of the three as well, I'm pretty sure during the tournament she was the best there and in assists as well of that trio.

I don't think she's off the Ms radar screen at all. She is an upgrade over Scho and a nice bookend to Newton. I see January as a 2009 version of Newton with better ballhandling and shooting.

Zellous should be the primary target, and January should be in the mix if plan A fails.

I like Kia, but she must be causing headaches for GM's around the league. She might the biggest question mark of the draft. Everyone knows her potential and has shown flashes of it throughout the season. She has the tools and an intimidating physical presence, she could easily be a top 5 center in the league in a couple years. If I were GM(thank god I'm not, because I would have some crazy trades) I would trade Harper to Minny, Seattle, or Connecticut for their 1st rounder, assuming that Kia was on the board and they actually have interest in Harper.

What about the other some 50 youthful athletes on Oklahoma, UConn, Stanford and Louisville who was happy and excited to win. They did not call out Lawson or anybody else who picked against them before they won. I don't buy the whole youth thing when it comes to composure, especially in the easy times of winning. Had she lost and acted a fool, i would have understood that more.
Are you serious? :eek:

UConn was the #1 overall seed. Everyone has all but crowned them the champs already. Lawson, like everyone else, picked them to reach the Final Four.

Oklahoma has been pegged since January (when UConn destroyed UNC and pretty much took them off the national map) as "the team that could face UConn again in the national championship game". Lawson picked them to reach the Final Four. 99% of the prognosticators picked OU to reach St. Louis. Carolyn Peck didn't, but that has as much to do with her own vendetta against all things Courtney Paris (you'll recall her stating erroneously that Ashley Paris would be drafted higher than Courtney back in November, which was then exactly what it is now...a crock) than it has to do with rational thinking. Courtney chose not to call out Peck. Had she chosen to do so, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. She's a college kid who's headed to her only Final Four. Seize the moment!

Even though Stanford was the #2 seed in Berkeley, everyone expected them to get past Duke to reach the Final Four for a second straight year. Thing is, they didn't even have to worry about Duke because the Blue Devils crapped the bed in the second round. And yes, Kara picked the Cardinal to advance to the Final Four.

Kara didn't pick Louisville. She wasn't the only ESPN "expert" who didn't pick them (Mechelle Voepel, like me, picked Baylor to reach the FF) and was far from the only media/coaching entity to pick the Terps to advance. [Rebecca Lobo was the only ESPN expert to picked the Cardinals to win the Raleigh regional, and she accurately predicted all of the Final Four teams.] Dawn Staley wrote an article in the NYT where she picked the Terps to play the Huskies for the national championship. Dawn admitted that her decision was based in part to ignorance on her behalf WRT Louisville (she didn't know anything about them other than Angel McCoughtry, who she coached during the summer of 2007 for USA Basketball). Had Angel known about that, she probably would've called out Staley, too. ;) But Kara has a reputation on the air for being a Terp lover above all else (and I wouldn't be surprised if coach Jeff Walz, a former Terp assistant, planted that seed in his players' heads), so it didn't cross her mind twice to tell Kara that she was wrong.

Listen, I don't even know that young lady on or off the court. All I know is that my very first opinion of Angel McCoughtry was weird and she came across as not composed. Would I want her on my team? I have no idea, because i have not seen her enough, but sure, she is talented. I did not think she played that well against Maryland. But she has two games to change my opinion. But in the mean time I think what she did (not so much what she said) was self-indulgent and immature compared to other mature/young athletes who find the ability to be composed in front of the camera especially when you win.
Once again I ask, how can you possibly make that claim when she's being interviewed 30 seconds after winning the biggest game in her life to date? Did you not see Candice Wiggins' passion-filled outburst last year (after beating the same team, incidentally)? She flipped out, too! She didn't call out anyone, but she rambled on then about as much as Angel did a couple of days back. It's all part of the joy of reaching the Final Four in one's senior year. After she'd calmed down a bit, Angel gave a gracious post-game interview on ESPN News. Too bad most of you didn't see it and choose to remember such a great athlete and person by 30 seconds of elation captured on YouTube. :rolleyes: