07 Draft Realistic pick

since it looks like we're mid to late 1st round. my $$ is on the best swingman available. petrie will pick another player that best resembles himself (overall ability). my pick is corey brewer if he is still around

If Thaddeus Young drops to us. We should grab him. Very high ceiling. Potential star. But probably staying for another year.

Josh McRoberts resembles the kind of big men that GP likes: can play in the high post and smart basketball IQ. He's no star, but he'll be a solid double-double guy who can block some. There's no other worthy big men we have a shot at. Don't like Hansbrough, Gray, or Hawkes.

Otherwise, Acie Law, Marco Belinelli, Marcus Williams and Corey Brewer are close ties. I'd give Law the nod simply because good PGs are hard to find. I like Brewer, but I generally don't like drafting defensive wing because they are a dime a dozen in the NBA. But I think Muss could fall in love with a guy like Brewer.

just wanna say hey first, new to the forums..

i think itd be smart to draft a big man.. just depends on whos there when we get our pick.. i wouldnt mind hansbrough or aron gray from pit .. not a big duke/mcroberts fan

itd be nice if we could trade up for thabeet tho =]

Assuming we are mid to late lottery I would like to see Acie Law IV or Julian Wright. This team needs a distributor/crunch time performer with a personality. I am tired of the sullen "superstars" like Bibby, Artest, and Miller. Besides, none of the big men beyond Oden and Durant really do much for me. We're too far away from contention for any of them to make sense. Guys like Noah, Horford, Hawes, Hibbert, and Thabeet are going to have good careers but will not be the game changers that Wright/Law will be.

I want to see Ron/Bibby gone for an extra first or two. Also with our lottery pick what do you guys think about grabbing Darrell Arthur if he declares? He's a good athlete, a good shotblocker, a good finisher inside, and he's an important piece on a talented Kansas team. He'd be a starter on most other teams in the country IMO. Then with the 2nd pick I want to grab Acie Law if possible or maybe Dominic James.

I want to see Ron/Bibby gone for an extra first or two. Also with our lottery pick what do you guys think about grabbing Darrell Arthur if he declares? He's a good athlete, a good shotblocker, a good finisher inside, and he's an important piece on a talented Kansas team. He'd be a starter on most other teams in the country IMO. Then with the 2nd pick I want to grab Acie Law if possible or maybe Dominic James.

IMO i dont think we can trade bibby and especially Ron for a first. I have seen Spencer Hawes play in person and think he is going to make a good C in the NBA. I would not mind seeing us draft him at all.

IMO i dont think we can trade bibby and especially Ron for a first. I have seen Spencer Hawes play in person and think he is going to make a good C in the NBA. I would not mind seeing us draft him at all.

From what I've seen on places like DraftExpress a lot of people think Hawes is a top 10 pick.

Either way if Bibby opts out or gets traded hopefully it'll help us rebuild. If he opts out we get 13 mill in cap room, if he's traded we might be able to get like Indiana's pick from Atlanta for him.

The Ron situation is annoying/worries me. If he's found guilty hopefully his contract is voided so we get the 7 million+ in cap room. That could allow us to make some moves on the FA market.

Either way it'd be great to have 2 picks in this draft in the 10-15 range.

At the rate things are going, by the time we get our pick, all of the good bigs will be gone. Maybe McRoberts will be left, but I'm not convinced that he's Petrie's style. I'm thinking that the best we can hope for is probably Acie Law, if we're really lucky & he's still available, and then try to pick up another wrongfully undrafted big to help Justin warm the bench. If we get another swingman, I will start wondering why I bother to watch NBA basketball anymore.

With one pick at somewhere around #13, and no second round pick at all (still paying for giving Keon away), I don't see much better on the horizon. :(

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind Nick Fazekas. It's looking more and more like Oden and Durant will probably not declare so I think that pushes up some other player quite a bit.

From the sounds of it this draft may not not end up being all that good if a lot of the top prospects don't declare.

I'm still thinking that Josh McRoberts is most likely to be drafted by the Kings. I'm not completely sold on him, but his attributes match what Petrie is looking for: athletic, good shooter, & passer.

My issues with him are his average rebounding skills in addition to the fact he sometimes disappears in games...but hey, streakiness can also be seen as a Kings trait. I think he'll be available even if the Kings keep this nonsense (ahem, 8th seed run) up. His stock has fallen due to Duke's disappointing season as well as his inability to live up to expectations. Either way, I still think he'd be a great asset for this team...and we are quite lacking in the PF dept.

From what I've seen on places like DraftExpress a lot of people think Hawes is a top 10 pick.

Either way if Bibby opts out or gets traded hopefully it'll help us rebuild. If he opts out we get 13 mill in cap room, if he's traded we might be able to get like Indiana's pick from Atlanta for him.

The Ron situation is annoying/worries me. If he's found guilty hopefully his contract is voided so we get the 7 million+ in cap room. That could allow us to make some moves on the FA market.

Either way it'd be great to have 2 picks in this draft in the 10-15 range.
Bibby is not likely to opt out this summer. Better for him to wait another year at this point.

How can we trade Bibby for a higher draft pick? What team would trade a high draft pick for a player that could decide to opt out a few days later, because he doesn't want to play for that team? And Artest isn't going to get you much in a trade.

Bibby could always say what he's going to do before the draft or he could be traded for a young player after the draft. Also I think he'll opt out if he continues to shoot well, and he has shot pretty well since the trade deadline passed. If his FG% continues to go up and gets semi respectable why not?

Artest probably won't get us much in a trade though you're definitely right about that. I think Miami or LA might want him though and hopefully we could get a 1st round pick out of 1 of them, maybe even if we took back a bad contract.

btw I wish we would've traded him to the clippers for Maggette+the other stuff they wanted to offer(they would've given us a draft pick or something). I bet Petrie is kicking himself/Maloofs for not making that move.

Since its pretty much a given that Bibby is on his way out of Sacramento one way or the other I suspect we will be picking up someone like Acie Law IV to replace him.

Everyone says they want to see us get tougher in the middle, and then I see names like McRoberts and Fazekas bandied about. . .ridiculous. Assuming we stay where we are at I will take either Law or one of the young PGs that may declare like Conley Jr., Augustin, or Collison. I don't even care if we do take another swingman like Julian Wright or Brewer. Honestly, we only have one good one that's stable, Kevin Martin. Salmons is nice, but probably a better 6th man than anything on a good team.

If we could pick up Law and sign someone like Gerald Wallace through the FA it would give us Law, Martin and Wallace to build around. Tank next year and hopefully pick up a young frontcourt stud to add to that trio. Couple that with Salmons, Cisco, Price and Douby off the bench you you have a pretty solid young core.

I want the kings to draft Josh Mcroberts. (did anybody see hes facial in dukes first round loss to NC?) with him and brad on this court both great passers plus josh has a decent first step it would be sick. pretty much thats all i can say. sick

McRoberts seems pretty iffy with our current draft position. I checked 12 different mock drafts to see how late he was expected to go, and 9 out of 12 had him going between #6 and #12. We need to start a pretty consistent losing streak if we want a starting-quality big.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I want Joe Dorsey of memphis...He should be available at whatever pick we end up with.
6'9 260 lbs foward
8.7 pts (64% fg), 9.5 rebs (4.3 offensive), 1.6 stls, 2.5 blks...In 24 minutes per game.
One of them raw/hussle type of bigs that Petrie would never ever never in a million years draft.

Either Acie Law or Josh McRoberts IMO.

As a brazilian I'd like to see Tiago Splitter wearing a Kings uniform too...hes a sick defender and considered one of Europe's best defenders. His game will be close to Anderson Varejão game, but I believe Splitter could be even better, maybe a lot better than Varejão. He's 6'11 and 233 lbs, if we can add some bulk on him, hes got the size and heart to play in the NBA.

Last edited:
McRoberts is a gauranteed bust. Way too soft. Didn't he cry on the bench during a game earlier this year? Nobody on Duke's current roster is NBA starter material, hence their precipitous drop. If our frontcourt consists of Miller/McRoberts every post player in the league will have the Kings circled on his calendar.

If we had anything between the 13th and 17th pick I would take in this order...

1. Nick Fazekas UNR PF - PPG 20.5 | APG 1.8 | RPG 11.2 | BPG 1.4
2. Josh McRoberts PF Duke - PPG 12.8 | APG 3.4 | RPG 7.8 | BPG 2.4
3. Thaddeus Young SF GT - PPG 14.6 | APG 2.1 | RPG 4.9 | STL 1.3
4. Acie Law PG Texas A&M - PPG 17.9 | APG 5.3 | RPG 3.2 | STL 1.3

I am thinking we can probally fill a hole on the bench by moving down in the draft to say 18th or so if we hold a 10th pick or something, and still draft Nick Fazekas. I feel Nick Fazekas is better overall than McRoberts, and more of what we need. Nick Fazekas will be a better NBA player than McRoberts. ;)

If we had anything between the 13th and 17th pick I would take in this order...

1. Nick Fazekas UNR PF - PPG 20.5 | APG 1.8 | RPG 11.2 | BPG 1.4
2. Josh McRoberts PF Duke - PPG 12.8 | APG 3.4 | RPG 7.8 | BPG 2.4
3. Thaddeus Young SF GT - PPG 14.6 | APG 2.1 | RPG 4.9 | STL 1.3
4. Acie Law PG Texas A&M - PPG 17.9 | APG 5.3 | RPG 3.2 | STL 1.3

I am thinking we can probally fill a hole on the bench by moving down in the draft to say 18th or so if we hold a 10th pick or something, and still draft Nick Fazekas. I feel Nick Fazekas is better overall than McRoberts, and more of what we need. Nick Fazekas will be a better NBA player than McRoberts. ;)

Fazekas would be alright if we traded for another lower pick but not a guy you grab with a top 10 pick.

If we have a top 10 pick I'd grab:

Roy Hibbert
Darrell Arthur
Acie Law
Josh McRoberts I guess

but I'd rather try to trade up and grab a guy like Al Horford.

If he is still available, I would like to take Thaddeus Young. He has alot of potential and we would be set for years to come at the SG/SF spot with Kev and Young. Then we could trade for another pick (if possible) or just trade for an interesting big to go along with our other young pieces.

If we don't take Young, I like Julian Wright, although he'll be gone by the time we pick!

So basically, I'm trying to say this would be my realistic order:

1.Young
2.Thabeet
3.Law
4.Brewer

It's possible that they all could be gone though! :D