KING IN ARABIC

One of these threads has actual numbers when Monk is playing with the projected starters and the Kings are in the red per 100 possessions with Monk while they are in the black with Keon. I think it's somewhere between a 7-10 point differential while also being the difference between a positive and negative +/- when Keon is with the starters vs Monk. I don't know how to find these splits and a quick google didn't find them either. Hopefully whoever posted them originally can share.
I see they’ve been posted here already, but you may have been thinking of my post here: https://community.kingsfans.com/threads/king-in-arabic.96290/page-4#post-1804099

it’s the Huerter numbers that were surprisingly better, to me.

This whole argument comes completely unraveled when it comes to light there is a zero percent chance of replacing Monk with a player like Monk. Saying that like it’s an easily accomplishable task is almost laughable. The importance he holds to this team isn’t going to be just patched with an MLE guy.

So now we have Keon in the starting lineup, no one like Monk … and what happens if Keon regresses like every other “diamond in the rough” we’ve found throughout the years? Letting Monk walk in large part because you’re putting all the money in Keon Ellis stock is silly, and I say that as a huge fan of Keon.

That seems like more steps backwards than simply tweaking the dynamics of a starting roster that wasn’t even good enough to make the playoffs.
What Monk brings to the table can’t be underestimated and can’t be easily replaced. In a word, he gave the Kings “Swag”. He gave the Kings toughness and fearlessness when the rest of the team was just soft. He was the one player that if the Kings got smashed in the mouth, he would smash back and wouldn’t back down. I’m afraid to see what happens to this team without Monk’s swag to give them some toughness and confidence when the chips are down.

Yeah, that was some of the questionable rotations from MB that I was talking about. There was plenty of times when Fox or Huerter was injured and MB never put Monk in the starting line up, which would had been the natural thing to do for most coaches.

It would had been good to see Monk tried in the starting line up, however I'm sure there are advanced stats from when he was playing alongside Fox, Sabonis and Keegan that we can project his potential fit in the starting 5.
I pointed out one of the 5 man units before, out of the top 5 in minutes the only negative net rating unit was Fox, Monk, Ellis, Keegan, and Domas.

Orlando lost to Cleveland in game seven of the first round series, 106-94. The Magic scored only 15 points in the third quarter. Their two starting guards, both listed as "shooting guards," scored a combined 4-17 and 4-13 from three, meaning they failed to score a single two-point bucket. They registered 5 assists between them.

It sure looks like a good fit for Mr. Monk.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Orlando lost to Cleveland in game seven of the first round series, 106-94. The Magic scored only 15 points in the third quarter. Their two starting guards, both listed as "shooting guards," scored a combined 4-17 and 4-13 from three, meaning they failed to score a single two-point bucket. They registered 5 assists between them.

For our sake I hope they throw bigger bags at Klay for some reason.

The good news is if no team is set on Monk then Monte can maybe get a decent deal like he did with Barnes. Keep that deal to 2 years. Don't give up your escape options Monte. If the Kings slip, you don't want to basically doom your chances with Fox and Domas for their entire run if Murray isn't who they think he is.

The good news is that Orlando has invested a lot in Jalen Suggs and he is more of a shooting guard than a point guard. Hopefully they see Monk more as a shooting guard than a point.

What the Magic really need is a high level point guard to run their offense, IMO they would be better served going after a Tyus Jones or D'Angelo Russell in free agency.

The good news is that Orlando has invested a lot in Jalen Suggs and he is more of a shooting guard than a point guard. Hopefully they see Monk more as a shooting guard than a point.

What the Magic really need is a high level point guard to run their offense, IMO they would be better served going after a Tyus Jones or D'Angelo Russell in free agency.
and let’s not forget they used a #6 pick on A. Black too. That’s one of the reasons I like a bloated 2 year deal for Klay instead. Gives them championship experience and elite shooting without the long term commitment.

Yeah Klay just makes infinitely more sense from a team build perspective. They have too much draft capital tied into guards (forgot they had Jett Howard too), to just stifle all their development with a big contract to Monk.

Yeah Klay just makes infinitely more sense from a team build perspective. They have too much draft capital tied into guards (forgot they had Jett Howard too), to just stifle all their development with a big contract to Monk.
If that theory holds the only other destinations that make any sense are Philly and Detroit. That’s scary if you are Monk given the injury history of Joel and the uncertainty with the Pistons. Tobias Harris and Monk don’t put the Pistons in contention, more like 30-40 ish win territory. That starting gig/big pay day for a good team might be harder to come by than his agent thought

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Philly and Detroit both look like messy situations with teams lacking direction. Philly feels like they might be at time to tear it all down. Unless San Antonio decided to enter the sweepstakes I think Orlando is the main threat.

But given the way the draft is before the FA period I won't be surprised if a major player emerges in the week between.

If that theory holds the only other destinations that make any sense are Philly and Detroit. That’s scary if you are Monk given the injury history of Joel and the uncertainty with the Pistons. Tobias Harris and Monk don’t put the Pistons in contention, more like 30-40 ish win territory. That starting gig/big pay day for a good team might be harder to come by than his agent thought
Monk has the feel of a fall back for a team, even if the fit makes no sense. The threat here is certainly Detroit. They never make sense with their moves and appear only to look at value.

I don't think we should underate the role Brown has given him here in Sac. Sure, he's off the bench, but dude is essentially the 2nd option of our team and is allowed to take as much USG as he wants. He basically was 28-30 MPG, which more or less is starter minutes anyway for the back half of the year till he got hurt.He was even our closer with the ball in his hands several times this year, while Fox was in the corner on games he was cooking.

Like said previously Sac has a lot in its favor. We can still put out a seriously competitive offer and I just don't think there's a better basketball home for him in the NBA. Where Monk gets to be Monk. But I get it, if Orlando busts out a 4/100 deal in Florida... we just can't compete with that, nor should we expect Monk to turn down 20+mil when he hasn't made his big money yet as a pro.

Last edited:
I listened to a couple more nba podcasts this morning and they aren’t even mentioning Monk as a possibility for the Magic. They obviously have no real insight to what Orlando is thinking but from an outsiders perspective they are not seeing the fit. Instead they like guys like Ty Jones in free agency and A. Simons or Brogdan in trades.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If we do want Grant and Orlando makes a play for Simons and/or Brogdan that is great for our chances of retaining Monk and possibly making a deal for Grant.

I'm not super high on Grant's contract and he's not really that much younger than Barnes, but if they go all in on youth up here they do need some vet leadership. God that would be such a terrible thing to Barnes to ship him up here, but ...

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we do want Grant and Orlando makes a play for Simons and/or Brogdan that is great for our chances of retaining Monk and possibly making a deal for Grant.

I'm not super high on Grant's contract and he's not really that much younger than Barnes, but if they go all in on youth up here they do need some vet leadership. God that would be such a terrible thing to Barnes to ship him up here, but ...
I don't really have any interest in Grant. I don't think he moves the needle, especially for what he'd cost the Kings, both in salary/flexibility and in trade assets.

If we were to send Barnes to Portland, I'd actually rather get back Rob Williams and Matisse Thybulle. Time Lord is a huge health gamble, but when he's right, he's a game changer and a great change of pace from Domas. Thybulle's shooting is always an issue, but he and Keon would improve the defense of the starting unit considerably and you could always sub in Huerter for Matisse if he's having a rough shooting night.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't really have any interest in Grant. I don't think he moves the needle, especially for what he'd cost the Kings, both in salary/flexibility and in trade assets. If we were to send Barnes to Portland, I'd actually rather get back Rob Williams and Matisse Thybulle. Time Lord is a huge health gamble, but when he's right, he's a game changer and a great change of pace from Domas. Thybulle's shooting is always an issue, but he and Keon would improve the defense of the starting unit considerably and you could always sub in Huerter for Matisse if he's having a rough shooting night.
I don't disagree with you there. I can't see Portland taking Barnes if Grant is there though. I do wonder what those two would cost?

I listened to a couple more nba podcasts this morning and they aren’t even mentioning Monk as a possibility for the Magic. They obviously have no real insight to what Orlando is thinking but from an outsiders perspective they are not seeing the fit. Instead they like guys like Ty Jones in free agency and A. Simons or Brogdan in trades.
Oh, I like Tyus A LOT there. Kind of like there version of Mike Conley type floor leader that'll stay out of the way, but still create for their wing scorers, play excellent defense, etc.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't disagree with you there. I can't see Portland taking Barnes if Grant is there though. I do wonder what those two would cost?
No, but I could see it if the Blazers deal Grant elsewhere and fully commit to a rebuild around Scoot, Shaedon, maybe Simons & Ayton. HB makes a lot of sense for them depending on who they get in the lottery. If it ends up being a guy like Risacher, Holland or Bazelis with the early pick and/or Salaun etc with that later lottery pick from GS, then Barnes is an ideal mentor with championship experience for those forwards. And his deal is up in two years so it doesn't impact a rebuild timeline.

The problem is that Grant's contract is just an albatross and Portland won't want to add sweeteners to move it. They'd likely have to settle for dumping him for ending contracts.

“ I thought our guys played a pretty good 18 today. Our goal is 9 sprays to the green and we did a better job of that on the back nine. Vivek did some good things out there. I thought Monk chipped pretty good today. You can go on down the line. Monte, Wes had some nice straight line drives. Keegan, I thought he was aggressive on the greens. I told him, if you have a good look at a putt, take it.”