KING IN ARABIC

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I actually like the move for them. A two year big money deal similar to Fred down in Houston. Championship experience, still an elite shooter (still above 38 percent on high volume). Gives them much needed spacing for Franz and Paulo and then the money comes off the books in time for the big extensions need to be made and give Black a bit of time to develop.
That does make sense compared to overpaying Monk and burying your cost controlled talent.

The underrated thing about these bloated 2 year deals is it doesn’t put them in a situation that they can be outbid via their early bird rights if they were wanting to resign them (e.g., what’s going on with Monk right now).

I actually like the move for them. A two year big money deal similar to Fred down in Houston. Championship experience, still an elite shooter (still above 38 percent on high volume). Gives them much needed spacing for Franz and Paulo and then the money comes off the books just in time for the big extensions thell need to make and give Black a bit of time to develop.
You can also move Klay to the 3 fairly easily and play him with all their guards. Also leaves them the option to keep Fultz if they want.

If they go Monk, they'll absolutely lose Fultz and probably have to move off Anthony.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'm hoping we're safe from some stray 20m base year deal with a hometown/I'm happy in Sac discount (coupled with the fact that we legitimately are handcuffed and not cheaping him and perhaps some personal guilt over his injury) but there's always the risk someone does something stupid from out of nowhere. sells 18 draft picks to get space, whiffs on whoever the good free agent is and then goes "F it all in on Monk!"

I hope that doesn't happen. And on the reverse side of this, it's really evident why we need a Monk right now, but there is also the very real possibility when he's actually eating up significant cap space we feel his limitations more. Because we will hopefully start Keon next year.

Washington Post sportswriter picks Naz Reid as his choice for Sixth Man of the Year.

Did no one notice that Reid's big game against LA Lakers recently was as a starter? In fact, he has started 14 of 16 games since March 10, most of the time playing over 30 minutes. The award is supposed to be for bench players.

I'm hoping we're safe from some stray 20m base year deal with a hometown/I'm happy in Sac discount (coupled with the fact that we legitimately are handcuffed and not cheaping him and perhaps some personal guilt over his injury) but there's always the risk someone does something stupid from out of nowhere. sells 18 draft picks to get space, whiffs on whoever the good free agent is and then goes "F it all in on Monk!"

I hope that doesn't happen. And on the reverse side of this, it's really evident why we need a Monk right now, but there is also the very real possibility when he's actually eating up significant cap space we feel his limitations more. Because we will hopefully start Keon next year.
Seeing how the Kings season fell apart after Luka fell on Monk's knee, I think it's safe to say Monk is essential to the Kings future success.

I too am afraid some team will make a stupid offer if they whiff on another big name free agent. I think our best chance of keeping Monk is getting him to agree to our max 4 year/$78 million deal before the actual free agency period begins. Much like with HB and Naz Reid (Minnesota) did last summer, we get the deal agreed to before he hits the open market. This is where we hope loyalty wins Monk over and he re-signs with the Kings without testing the market.

In Bulgaria we say ''what can't be done with moeny can with a lot of money'' , but i the case of Monk i strongly believe
that any normal offer from our side will be accpeted without looking over his shoulder for 5/6mln more somehwere else ...
Guys had said several times that he wants to continue with Kings , so i do not expet dramas there ...

In Bulgaria we say ''what can't be done with moeny can with a lot of money'' , but i the case of Monk i strongly believe
that any normal offer from our side will be accpeted without looking over his shoulder for 5/6mln more somehwere else ...
Guys had said several times that he wants to continue with Kings , so i do not expet dramas there ...
True but other teams already extending their players, I don't know how things work exactly but wouldn't it be possible for the extension to take place before the offseason?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
He'll be re-signed with a specific salary cap exception that can't be done until the end of the contract.

There's also a chance that if he does that he'll be taking below market so odds are he'll at least entertain offers before signing.

He'll be re-signed with a specific salary cap exception that can't be done until the end of the contract.

There's also a chance that if he does that he'll be taking below market so odds are he'll at least entertain offers before signing.
Thanks for that explanation. It only makes sense to see what the market is first, especially if he might be offered a starting position, which Monk says he wants and certainly deserves. It will never happen in Sacramento, that much is clear.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Thanks for that explanation. It only makes sense to see what the market is first, especially if he might be offered a starting position, which Monk says he wants and certainly deserves. It will never happen in Sacramento, that much is clear.
Even if he's willing to sign for the early-Bird exception, he'll want to know if teams are offering 20 million + so that he can sign a 2 year deal with a handshake to get that money back in the next contract, or if the best teams are offering is similar, he should take the 3 year or 4 year with an option in there to lock it in.

The most he could sign an extension for is like 12 million. The early-Bird starts at 17.4 with standard raises, minimum 2 years guaranteed. Up to 4.

Sactown Sports reports that Malik Monk will be reevaluated after three weeks. That would be Friday, April 19. If the Kings can make the playoffs, Monk might possibly be available for the first round. The last day of the play-in tournament will be April 19.

But they have to get there, first.

Last edited:
Oddly, I’m hoping Monk seeing the team implode (after his injury) and his best friend getting bounced from the playoffs leaves him a taste of unfinished business, which helps the Kings re-sign Monk.

Monk seems to be a loyalty guy and I can see him wanting to finish what he started with Fox and the Kings. I don’t think Monk takes lightly what the Kings and Mike Brown did for his career, the Kings believed in him. Here’s hoping that the Kings offer Monk their max contract (4yrs/78 mil) and Monk takes it.

Last edited:
Kudos for Mr. Monk from Coach Mike Brown. <"And so with his charisma and how vocal he is, you want that presence around as much as possible. And you know, to his credit he's been there. He comes to our film sessions, comes to our practices. Obviously, he's active on the bench, and we encourage that,” Brown added.>

https://clutchpoints.com/kings-news-mike-brown-drops-malik-monk-charismatic-truth-bomb-amid-6moy-bid

Monk also won the team's 2024 community service award, and was honored before this afternoon's game:

https://www.nba.com/kings/news/king...-monk-with-the-2024-community-crossover-award

I want to see that banana yellow jumpsuit again for the game against Golden State on Tuesday night!

Grayson Allen who leads the league in 3 point percentage and is a starter on the Suns just signed a $70 mil/4 year extension.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39947612/grayson-allen-agrees-4-year-70m-extension-suns

This should be good news for the Kings as this helps set the market for starter level (non-All-star) shooting guards. That $78 mil/ 4 year deal the Kings can offer looks more and more like a good deal for both sides.

Come on Monte, please don't cheap out and try to low ball Monk. Give him the contract he deserves (4yrs/$78 mil) and the Kings can hopefully lock up one of their core pieces for 4 more years.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Maybe Grayson changes the market but before that was announced I think everyone would consider 4/78 the best case for the Kings. A lot of us anticipating there would be an option in year 3 so that he could get more on a full Bird deal.

Grayson Allen who leads the league in 3 point percentage and is a starter on the Suns just signed a $70 mil/4 year extension.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39947612/grayson-allen-agrees-4-year-70m-extension-suns

This should be good news for the Kings as this helps set the market for starter level (non-All-star) shooting guards. That $78 mil/ 4 year deal the Kings can offer looks more and more like a good deal for both sides.

Come on Monte, please don't cheap out and try to low ball Monk. Give him the contract he deserves (4yrs/$78 mil) and the Kings can hopefully lock up one of their core pieces for 4 more years.
Bad news is it takes a smallish combo off the market. Now Monk has a bit more value if teams were looking at that.

Maybe Grayson changes the market but before that was announced I think everyone would consider 4/78 the best case for the Kings. A lot of us anticipating there would be an option in year 3 so that he could get more on a full Bird deal.
I think a shorter deal benefits the Kings more than anyone. Combo 6th man types once signed to legit money almost always without fail lose value. Jordan Clarkson, Jordan Poole are the comps in so many ways. If Monte can re-sign Monk he has to move Barnes and Huerter ASAP. That's too much money on pieces that aren't the difference between contending or not.

I think that Allen deal probably puts Monk’s value at 85-90 mil. Will someone offers that and will that team also have a bigger role available? That’s the big question. Klay could be a big part of this equation, does he decide to move on from GS?

Also, I’ve seen a few voters talk about 6th man and Monk is often not at the top of the list. Naz Reid and Bogi getting more love it seemsZ. Are they outlier voters or the consensus?

Yeah, about right. Monk and Allen are around the same level, just do it in different ways obviously.

And judging by some of these 6 MOY votes coming in, Monk just doesn't get the respect he deserves around the league. Our max of 4/78 seems about right.

Bad news is it takes a smallish combo off the market. Now Monk has a bit more value if teams were looking at that.
Eh, I don't think so. Monk is better, but I think this pretty firmly sets the market for a starting-caliber 2 guard. We just won't tell the rest of the league that Monk is an offensive star yet :p

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Is Monk getting frozen out of 6MotY votes a plus or negative for him to re-sign?

The "plus" case is we're homers over-valuing him the negative case is he sees that the media doesn't give a toot about Sac and he should move on. Hell especially if somehow the guy that wins the award does so because his stats got a boost after moving to a starting spot in the final quarter of the season.

Is Monk getting frozen out of 6MotY votes a plus or negative for him to re-sign?

The "plus" case is we're homers over-valuing him the negative case is he sees that the media doesn't give a toot about Sac and he should move on. Hell especially if somehow the guy that wins the award does so because his stats got a boost after moving to a starting spot in the final quarter of the season.
Id consider it a negative but maybe the injury gives us an easy excuse

We obviously want Monk to be playing to actually make a playoff push, but there's no doubt him being out right now keeps his value check. Say he just popped off in these play-in games and was a key part in us winning a playoff series or two? Ruh roh, that probably gets a team like Orlando or SAS to actually consider the 100mil deal we can't match.

Id consider it a negative but maybe the injury gives us an easy excuse
The other side of this is Orlando or SAS (in my opinion, the only two teams who might make him an offer and he might consider going to), better "markets" for this sort of thing? SAS gets the Wemby hype now, but neither team really still gets reported on or a ton of love.