Young Kings during the Adleman era

forza kings said:
Do you actually read the posts before you rush for a response? Read my post again, you will notice I used the word "talentwise" when comparing Barnes to Wallace. All the things you mention, desire, heart, drive have nothing to do with talent. And what gives you the right to question Wallace's or anybody's heart anyway?
Let me see if I understand........ it's OK to question heart, as long as a player is still a King? It must be, because we see it all the time.
Also, talent is only one small part of the equation. The league is full of talented players, athletically gifted players. Some seem to think that is enough, others have the drive to improve. That drive comes from within, I don't think it's something that can be 'coached' into a player who doesn't have it, though, in Geralds case, he is very young and might mature into it, if he's lucky. Like it or not, there were reports from the coaching staff that Gerald didn't work as hard as the coaching staff thought he needed to.

I guess what I meant to say is that we gave up on Hedo and traded him(as opposed to letting him go and getting nothing). I like that we got Miller out of the deal...just lamenting the fact that we lost both him and Jim Jackson when it would have been wise (imho) to keep at least one of them. And yes, I realize the Kings are over the cap, but there was a time for a couple of years where our bench was filled with potential starters for other teams that put us significantly more into the luxury tax realm.Now we might have one (songiala...maybe) or two if Bobby can ever stay healthy. I think some of those decisions were made in order to spend a little bit more frugally.

Btw, I don't agree with some of the earlier posters that implied that Adleman is to blame for the lack of youth development in this team. Hard to develop young players when you have as many good vets as this team has had over the past 6 seasons.

Kings have drafted well over the years. There are many starters on other teams around the league that have been brought up through the Kings organization or have passed through it. That happens when your a good team. Spurs have had huge changeover over the years like the Kings, so have many other teams. Only 2 players have been constant since 98 guys, Peja and Chris. On the Spurs it's Tim and what's his name the backup center. You can't stay the same, and teams don't stay the same. We kept the core and that's the key thing. You can't have the same pieces around forever.

I guess what I meant to say is that we gave up on Hedo and traded him(as opposed to letting him go and getting nothing).
I don't think we gave up on Hedo. I think the trade was NECCESARY to replace Vlade. The Kings didn't save any money on the deal, they are paying Brad.
Corliss was traded both to bring in Doug AND to make room in the starting line-up for Peja.

i would love to have Jon Barry back the most...and then maybe Corliss cuz we would be good defensively

but thats neither here nor there at this point...just a "wish"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
forza kings said:
Do you actually read the posts before you rush for a response? Read my post again, you will notice I used the word "talentwise" when comparing Barnes to Wallace. All the things you mention, desire, heart, drive have nothing to do with talent. And what gives you the right to question Wallace's or anybody's heart anyway?
1. Do I actually read the posts before I rush a response? Well, of course not. Why should I? I just select random quotes and then let my fingers do the walking over the keys with little or no regard for appropriateness, whether or not they're really words, etc. Ask anybody.

2. Yes, you used the word "talentwise" when comparing Barnes to Wallace, which is irrelevant. There's a lot more to being a successful player than mere talent. If you have talent, for example, yet do NOT have the drive to anything with it, you aren't going to go anywhere.

3. Matt Barnes is showing a lot of talent PLUS a lot of heart, desire and dedication. ALL OF THOSE are vital to success and he's quite frankly a breath of fresh air for all of those reasons AND the fact he's homegrown. That's a fairy-tale story waiting to be written.

Kingsgurl said:
I don't think we gave up on Hedo. I think the trade was NECCESARY to replace Vlade. The Kings didn't save any money on the deal, they are paying Brad.
Corliss was traded both to bring in Doug AND to make room in the starting line-up for Peja.

You are probably right. I know at the time I thought we were crazy because I don't think anyone thought we were getting what Brad has turned out to be. If anything, I thought Brad was pretty equivalent to Pollard at the time except that he had the ability to stay healthy. Can't really complain about that trade now though. Just miss having that instant offense off the bench.

Granted we are paying Brad, but I would guess that we are closer to the cap this year than we were two years ago. Not just because of this deal, but you get my point...I hope...if I had one...