Would you trade gay even if little netted in return poll

If rudy gay can only be traded for scraps would you

• Trade him for the scraps?

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Keep him until end of year?

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
You bring in Payne and I'm happy. But that's not scraps.

Since the Kings aim to make the playoffs and forfeit our draft pick in a PG rich draft, we damn well better get someone like Payne or Rozier out of a Rudy trade. It will give us something to build on, and hey who's to say any of those 2017 PG rooks are going to be any better.

Rudy is most likely gone, and we have not missed him the last several game,s but I think we can do better than scraps.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends on what "scraps" are.

Do you take on bad contracts that extend past this season just to move Rudy? Of course not.

Do you take an inferior talent that might be a better fit with the Kings? Absolutely.

I think you have to move him if you can because (1) I think you definitely lose him for nothing next summer and (2) I honestly think the team plays better without him. But you don't do a deal that hurts the team just to trade Gay away.

Absolutely. But I don't think we could even get a low level lottery pick for him at this point. I'd be happy with a mid first rounder and expiring contracts. Maybe try to get one serviceable rotation player. I'd be ecstatic with that.

He's mentally checked out. He's not committed to team thinking. I don't judge his character for that. But it's clearly not working out.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Absolutely. But I don't think we could even get a low level lottery pick for him at this point. I'd be happy with a mid first rounder and expiring contracts. Maybe try to get one serviceable rotation player. I'd be ecstatic with that.

He's mentally checked out. He's not committed to team thinking. I don't judge his character for that. But it's clearly not working out.
Yeah, if you don't believe in what your fighting for, your not going to be a good soldier. I think Gay wants to win as much as anyone else, but his strengths don't fit what the Kings are trying to do. Last night is an example to some extent. He put up good numbers but the team struggled to beat a very bad team that turned the ball over like they were drunk. Gay is like adding salt to a cake recipe. Nothing wrong with salt in the right recipe, but it makes a cake taste bad.

As to trading him for lesser talent, as Funky said, it depends on all the variables. You don't trade him just to unload him, but if you can get a lesser talented player that fits Joerger's system better, then fine, go ahead. If you can get a late 1st round pick out of the deal so much the better. I'd take back a poor fitting player on another team as long as he was on an expiring contract. Just to see how he fit on the Kings.

I do think there's a downside to keeping Gay through the trade deadline. He's too talented, and has too much tenure in the league to leave sitting on the bench. You have to play him, and probably start him. That's a situation you would prefer not to be in, since the team seems to play better without him. If for no other reason, I'd like to see him traded. Sooner, rather than later.

Personally, I think he has more value than some on this forum attribute to him. We tend to undervalue our own players and overvalue the other teams players. Until they become our players! At which point they become cursed and ineffective..:rolleyes: Come on, you know it's true. :eek:

I think this question is where we may be at. I didn't want to come across as negative on the issue but I don't think Gays value is too high. I think we'd be fortunate to get a first rounder, period. And I think Gay has been shopped, and the reason he may still be here is they can't get value for him. It may be a question of management having to move him for small assets, which they may still be reluctant to do

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The poll is a bit of a false dichotomy, I am down with trading Rudy for the right price and that deal may come sooner rather than later but if not he is still a valuable asset and lets not forget how badly this team has been hurt by letting those walk for nothing in return.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The poll is a bit of a false dichotomy, I am down with trading Rudy for the right price and that deal may come sooner rather than later but if not he is still a valuable asset and lets not forget how badly this team has been hurt by letting those walk for nothing in return.
I think the point of the poll was to gauge how many fans are so over Rudy that they would trade him for scraps as opposed to keeping him around any longer.

The Kings can't afford to act shorsighted. It's not only about this season. So after all we can't afford to let Rudy Gay walk for nothing. Vlade has to get something for him in return or we are once again overly dependent on FA to improve the talent level of the team and so far Vlade had very little Success in Fa.