Would losing the Kings really affect quality of life?

Eventually most of them will be family people anyway, they'll {Yuppies}need somewhere to take their family for entertainment.
This is a true fact. I used to go out dancing all night in SF at 1015 Folsom etc. Life happens, you grow and change. Why should the developement of downtown exclude huge segments of the population? I think any city would love to have a downtown where families, yuppies and empty nesters all are drawn to and feel safe.

I think I understand the point. I think Sacramento will be worse off beyond what I previously mentioned if we don't get a new arena. Certainly not a disaster, but it will be enough that I'm guessing a good chunk of those opposing the measures would probably regret their vote within 1-2 years.
Don't agree with that at all. Sacto will be sacto regardless if the Kings are here or not.

Thats the thing I don't like... No need to set fear into people, put the measure straight up, if it passes fine if it doesn't fine. Things are not going to change at all, I will bet about anything on that.

Would you seriously bring your family there if a "entertainment complex" is built? I know I would make no extra trips as I could care less and I think the average Joe family in Rancho is no going to feel any affects one way or the other.

Last edited:
Thats the thing I don't like... No need to set fear into people, put the measure straight up, if it passes fine if it doesn't fine. Things are not going to change at all, I will bet about anything on that.
Now wait a minute. The anti arena crowd has been doing nothing but playing on fear. From Dave Jones saying that he wasn't going to be able to secure funding for flood protection, poor people being hit the hardest on taxes, building on the toxic wasteland of the railyards, politicians taking the money... you name it and they've played it up all the way. Pot, kettle, black as far as I'm concerned.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Would you seriously bring your family there if a "entertainment complex" is built? I know I would make no extra trips as I could care less and I think the average Joe family in Rancho is no going to feel any affects one way or the other.
Yes, I would. It would be great to have an area like that near downtown. I live in Elk Grove and we would visit and spend $$$ there.

We go to Arden on occasion to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. We went to the RV show today and went to Chili's at Howe and Arden area for dinner after. Out of towners will come to a place to spend $$$ if it is unique and of good quality (Cheesecake Factory) or covenient (Chilis). This would be both.

If there was a reason (say, ENTERTAINMENT), we would go to downtown lots more often to do things on weekends. Also a great place to take visitors from out of the area, especially if it is connected to the river/Old Sac.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Now wait a minute. The anti arena crowd has been doing nothing but playing on fear. From Dave Jones saying that he wasn't going to be able to secure funding for flood protection, poor people being hit the hardest on taxes, building on the toxic wasteland of the railyards, politicians taking the money... you name it and they've played it up all the way. Pot, kettle, black as far as I'm concerned.
Excellent point.

I ranted in another thread about how tired I am of everyone pointing the finger at the Maloofs as if they and they alone are evil incarnate. There is a core group of people who continually calls them liars, frauds, phonies, and accuses them of a lot of shady dealings without ANY basis in fact. When questioned, those people will steadfastly maintain that they - for some reason known only to them - know what the Maloofs are REALLY trying to do. They want to sneak the Kings out of here in the middle of the night, like thieves.

That's playing on fear.

There are reasons for voting yes on Q&R; there are reasons for voting no. The idea the Maloofs want to move the Kings shouldn't enter the equation because there is NO substance whatsoever to those allegations at this point in time.

It's almost as though some people are actually trying to drive the Maloofs out of town, although for the life of me I cannot understand why.

The quality of life in Sacramento will diminish if the Kings leave town. I have a very simple premise for this statement. Having a local sports team brings unity to our community, it gives us something that we can all share in, whether we go to games in person or not. Seeing kings banners around helps provide a sense of place to Sacramento, the urban area. Without it, we become a mess of urban sprawl without anything to unite us except a hatred of rush hour traffic.

Because the Kings were here when I moved to Sacto 3 years ago, it was easier to start conversations with new people throughout town. "What do you think of the Kings this year?" "They traded Webber!" etc. I doubt "The Rivercats let Grahm Koontz go!" carries the same weight.

We as a city have something in common, and if the Kings leave, we lose that. And that affects my quality of life here.

Yes, I would. It would be great to have an area like that near downtown. I live in Elk Grove and we would visit and spend $$$ there.

We go to Arden on occasion to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. We went to the RV show today and went to Chili's at Howe and Arden area for dinner after. Out of towners will come to a place to spend $$$ if it is unique and of good quality (Cheesecake Factory) or covenient (Chilis). This would be both.

If there was a reason (say, ENTERTAINMENT), we would go to downtown lots more often to do things on weekends. Also a great place to take visitors from out of the area, especially if it is connected to the river/Old Sac.

Couldn't agree with you more. I live in Rocklin, and we rarely visit downtown. We do, however, go to Kings games, and other Arco events & often stop for lunch or dinner on the way to/from the events. Downtown is a great place, but I would love to spend more time there, but I am more likely to do it if there is a good reason to go.

The quality of life in Sacramento will diminish if the Kings leave town. I have a very simple premise for this statement. Having a local sports team brings unity to our community, it gives us something that we can all share in, whether we go to games in person or not. Seeing kings banners around helps provide a sense of place to Sacramento, the urban area. Without it, we become a mess of urban sprawl without anything to unite us except a hatred of rush hour traffic.

Because the Kings were here when I moved to Sacto 3 years ago, it was easier to start conversations with new people throughout town. "What do you think of the Kings this year?" "They traded Webber!" etc. I doubt "The Rivercats let Grahm Koontz go!" carries the same weight.

We as a city have something in common, and if the Kings leave, we lose that. And that affects my quality of life here.
Great post!!! :D I think this is one of the most overlooked issues in the whole "quality of life" argument. Having a local sports team bonds a community in a truely special way. I live in Placer County, not Sacramento, but still, the Kings are "our" team, and a constant topic of conversation at school pick up and drop offs, supermarkets, after church discussions, etc... I would still root for the Kings if they left, but it sure wouldn't be the same feeling.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great post!!! :D I think this is one of the most overlooked issues in the whole "quality of life" argument. Having a local sports team bonds a community in a truely special way. I live in Placer County, not Sacramento, but still, the Kings are "our" team, and a constant topic of conversation at school pick up and drop offs, supermarkets, after church discussions, etc... I would still root for the Kings if they left, but it sure wouldn't be the same feeling.
Another great post!

I was a Boston Celtics fan in the days before the Sacramento Kings. I never really felt a bond with them; possibly because I'd never seen them in person, never bumped into any of them while out shopping, etc.

I feel a bond with the SACRAMENTO Kings. Just like they're "our" team, I think we're THEIR fans because of the attitude, etc. they pick up from us.

It's truly a symbiotic relationship.

Excellent point.

I ranted in another thread about how tired I am of everyone pointing the finger at the Maloofs as if they and they alone are evil incarnate. There is a core group of people who continually calls them liars, frauds, phonies, and accuses them of a lot of shady dealings without ANY basis in fact. When questioned, those people will steadfastly maintain that they - for some reason known only to them - know what the Maloofs are REALLY trying to do. They want to sneak the Kings out of here in the middle of the night, like thieves.

That's playing on fear.

There are reasons for voting yes on Q&R; there are reasons for voting no. The idea the Maloofs want to move the Kings shouldn't enter the equation because there is NO substance whatsoever to those allegations at this point in time.

It's almost as though some people are actually trying to drive the Maloofs out of town, although for the life of me I cannot understand why.
Unfortunately, a lot of people I know have that mindset. They seem to think that the Maloofs are a bunch of extremely greedy money-grubbers out to bully everyone and take over the world and that they have more money than they know what to do with. They just won't see beyond that or try to educate themselves.

This to me is sort of a silly question. Would the quality of life in Sacramento be affected if...

If Crocker Art Museum closed
If there were no Community Center/Convention Center
If there were no Sacramento Zoo or Fairytale Town
If there were no live theater
If there was no ballet
If there was no opera
If there was no symphonic or chamber music
If there was no "Art in Public Places"
If there were no parks
If there was no American River Bike Trail
If there was no public marina on the river
If there was no Discovery Museum
If there was no Old Sacramento
If there was no Sacramento History Museum
If there were no public golf courses
If there were no public boat ramps
If there were no softball complexes
If there were no dog parks
If there was no Memorial Auditorium

This is only a listing of some of the things supported by public funding that make up the quality of life in Sacramento. They are all "extras," not necessities. You can take any one thing away and maybe a lot of people won't notice. Many of the things I have listed I have never used. However, I think a wide variety of cultural and entertainment choices is part of what makes one city more desirable to live in over another.

If I didn't want my tax dollars to go to support a wide variety of choices for residents, I could go live in Coalville, UT or Camas, ID, or Midland, TX.

Will losing the Kings ruin the quality of life in Sacramento? Of course not, but I do think it will "affect" it, by diminishing it, even if some folks consider it of no importance. But you could say that about anything that a certain segment of the residents use and enjoy. Some folks would be horrified if they decided to close the American River bike tail, due to cost. Some folks would be hard pressed to give a d*mn.

Take it from someone who has lived in places where the nearest professional frnachise was several hour away....having a local professional sports team improves the quality of life because it improves city spirit. It gives everyone a common interest even if you are not really that interested.

This common bond is even more important without a strong collegiate sports team. It has been said many times here that without the Kings Sacramento will become another Fresno. I disagree, Fresno has the Bulldogs.

Take it from someone who has lived in places where the nearest professional frnachise was several hour away....having a local professional sports team improves the quality of life because it improves city spirit. It gives everyone a common interest even if you are not really that interested.

This common bond is even more important without a strong collegiate sports team. It has been said many times here that without the Kings Sacramento will become another Fresno. I disagree, Fresno has the Bulldogs.
And a Fresno has a nice arena in the Save-Mart Center. :D

I grew up with home town teams (LA). Some of my fondest childhood family memories are of going to see the Lakers, Dodgers and Kings (hockey). I was especially nuts about the Dodgers. It was a rare treat, but that only made it more special. I remember kids in class with transitor radios and earplugs (Yes, I'm old :p ) listening to the World Series and the teacher asking for the score.

In this modern age, I don't think there are many things (apart from war :( ) that can unite people like a home team.

Look how thrilled the people of New Orleans are to have the Dome up and running and their Saints back home.:) Should have spent that rehab money on levees instead of the Dome, some folks would say. But its pretty inexpensive price to give beleagured residents something to make them happy, let them share a common pleasure and forget their problems for a few hours. It has united New Orleans in their joint civic pride.

How people can look at history and sports around the world and not see its power to unite people, I don't know. I mean, in Greece, war stopped for sports competition. The recent World Soccer Cup had a team from an African country made up of team members from warring sides. The Olympics brought North and South Korea together for at least that "small" event.

But "its just sports."

It's just a game.

Fresno is pretty silly though, minor league teams and college sports?

Professional Sports is the real identity for a real city (*Unless you're South Bend IN, Columbus OH, Austin TX, OKC...)

Last edited:
In case anybody was wondering after MNF tonight, New Orleans just repaired the SuperDome for 185 million and they are listed as the 43rd largest market in the nation. We are ranked at 18th or 19th. We both have levee issues. New Orleans has more people who cannot afford milk :D . I also think, ( let me check the research on this issues to make certain) New Orleans has a more happening downtown than Sacramento.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
In this modern age, I don't think there are many things (apart from war :( ) that can unite people like a home team.

Look how thrilled the people of New Orleans are to have the Dome up and running and their Saints back home.:) Should have spent that rehab money on levees instead of the Dome, some folks would say. But its pretty inexpensive price to give beleagured residents something to make them happy, let them share a common pleasure and forget their problems for a few hours. It has united New Orleans in their joint civic pride.

How people can look at history and sports around the world and not see its power to unite people, I don't know. I mean, in Greece, war stopped for sports competition. The recent World Soccer Cup had a team from an African country made up of team members from warring sides. The Olympics brought North and South Korea together for at least that "small" event.

But "its just sports."
Great comments, Kennadog...