Will Rudy still opt out?

His opt out is in early June, FWIW
Hmm...I haven't seen a date posted anywhere, I assumed it coincided with FA which begins the first week of July. Regardless, he's putting it out there that he'll be in basketball shape come summer so I think he intends to opt out if his agency feels there's anyone out there willing to give him a multi-year deal, which in light of some of the contracts handed out (Parsons) wouldn't be surprising.

He can opt out in July, so I think this means he intends to opt out, unless there are complications. What a colossal blunder this all was by Vivek...he needs to stay in SF with his Warriors pals and stay the hell away from basketball operations here.
Was it a colossal blunder because Vivek didn't divine that Rudy was going to have a season ending non-contact injury so he needed to trade him before the market was ripe and failed? Is that the blunder you mean?

I think it was bad luck, not a blunder. The price had to be inching up as Rudy was playing well and other team's needs for a playoff push were becoming more clear. We were playing it pretty well I think if not for the freak injury.

I read this bit on another forum and thought it was interestingly optimistic. No clue on the validity of the authors' claim of being a subject matter expert. But still... a nice read.

I feel like this comes up in every Kings thread.

Disclaimer: I was a sports therapist for a decade, 'retired' this year. An Achilles injury will take 6-8 months to heal, usually a bit less for pro athletes. Rudy entirely tore his Achilles', which is better than a partial tear because its easier to stabilize when you can surgically repair the entire tendon instead of having to maintain a part of the tendon while repairing the ruptured part.

Barring a setback, Rudy Gay will play in 2017, and it will be for the Kings. There are financial reasons (0% chance he sits out another full season going into free agency) but medically speaking, the idea that he wouldn't be ready physically has been thrown about a lot, and is simply not true. Nor is the idea that it will take X amount of time to heal 'correctly' and return to prior form. The only hurdle after recovery, assuming he sticks to a quality rehab regiment and minimizes scar tissue, is a psychological one. And those vary greatly person to person.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Rudy said before the season he had a surgery. IIRC.
I don't think so. I've been unable to find anything like that.

He had a left shoulder injury in February 2011.
He suffered a concussion in March 2014.

I don't see any other significant injuries before the Achilles tear in January 2017.

It's early June. Nate Duncan and Danny Leroux think he will still opt out and get a 3-4 year deal at 10mm per and be able to choose his destination vs letting kings trade him next year after opting in
Rudy getting traded from yet another team would significantly harm his FA market value the subsequent year. His best bet is to kill it in rehab, opt out, and sign a 3-4 year deal. I believe there's someone out there who would pay him 12-15 mil/yr. Keep in mind the massive recent uptick in the cap.

We lose out because we don't get anything for him in trade this year. And that is bad luck. Not bad management.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so. I've been unable to find anything like that.

He had a left shoulder injury in February 2011.
He suffered a concussion in March 2014.

I don't see any other significant injuries before the Achilles tear in January 2017.
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/kings-rudy-gay-underwent-offseason-surgery/
Right here. I remember he said it in a radio interview because we as fans didn't hear about it during the offseason.

Gay revealed he underwent surgery on his Achilles this offseason in an interview with Sactown Royalty on Monday.
In the interview, Gay mentioned he has been dealing with Achilles tendonitis for the past couple of seasons and underwent surgery to address the problem. He reportedly now feels better than he has the past two years and shouldn't be limited by the injury as training camp approaches. Gay, who's name has been swirling in trade rumors, had a down-year last season but could return to form next year as he returns to full strength, regardless of what team he ends up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/kings-rudy-gay-underwent-offseason-surgery/
Right here. I remember he said it in a radio interview because we as fans didn't hear about it during the offseason.

Gay revealed he underwent surgery on his Achilles this offseason in an interview with Sactown Royalty on Monday.
Interesting. I didn't pay much attention to that. Same foot? Opens up a number of possibilities of a weakening tendon, or a botched surgery, or if this was the other foot, even to a predisposition to achilles problems.

On the other hand...maybe not so interesting just in that I think that injury largely finished Rudy as a real consideration for the Kings. He'll opt out and say goodbye. Or he'll pick up his option, miss part of next season, and come back at half strength for the rest of it. Either way we'll have to have have made plans without him, and again he'll likely be saying goodbye. So this is all kind of just a post mortem. Rudy Gay as a Kings force is pretty much gone now.