Why Cousins wasn't good for the Kings (moved)

Cousins overall impact on the team this year was -32.
Cole Aldrich -38
Kaminsky +18
Tyler Zeller +32
Mason Plumlee +57
Embiid first year +71
Mark Gasol +99
Splitter +102
Steven Adams +146
Jokic +169
Cody Zeller +175
Draymon Green +583
Dwight Howards best season +621

Cole Aldrich -38
Kaminsky +18
Tyler Zeller +32
Mason Plumlee +57
Embiid first year +71
Mark Gasol +99
Splitter +102
Steven Adams +146
Jokic +169
Cody Zeller +175
Draymon Green +583
What were we thinking trading him for Hield, then, when we surely could have gotten Kaminsky instead?! Or at least Tiago Splitter and, possibly, a second rounder?

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/individual-player-plus-minus-statistics/2016/

OP not providing all the info in order to push his agenda. You don't like Cousins, fine, but this is a bullcrap stat to support your argument.

Zaza Pachulia +316
Kristaps Porzingis -42
Anthony Davis -48
Damian Lillard -62

The guy we just traded him for (Hield) ranks in the bottom 30 of your stat out of nearly 500 players this season. Great win for the Kings!

How about using RPM instead?

Yeah I think you're gonna find that we are a little worse without him.

You do realize that we are about -120 as a team on the year, right?
Well you have to look at the whole picture. As an Allstar player, there are very few who are minus. Most are ridiculously in the plus.

I don't want to run down all the things that everyone should know about the last 6 or 7 years. I just want to watch another scenario. Let the new players develop. We have some draft pics now. I can watch that.

Oh no doubt Cousins has his flaws. Most of us are well aware of them. Still he is a big, who can put up 30/10 games on a regular basis. There simply aren't many guys in the game able to do just that.
What makes me freak out about this trade, is that our so called GM never tried to assemble a roster around Cousins, that could cover his weaknesses. The best addition to this team by our beloved Vlade Divac, ther hero of many Kings fans, was Garret Temple, a guy, who is basically a deep bench player on every perennial Playoff team.
Like every player not named Lebron James Cousins needs a specific situation around him to be successful. And we never even tried to built that situation. Instead Vlade blatantly lied to him about his intentions and assembled a figleaf roster on shortterm deals now used to justify a DMC trade. And even when this figleaf roster was exceeding the expectations and was still in the Playoff hunt in late February, he decided to pull the trigger on the most laughable deal possible.
Look if this would be the Detroit situation, where SVG actively tried to built the roster around Drummond and Jackson, I wouldn't be that upset. I wouldn't be convinced, that trading our core piece is the right way moving forward, but I at least could grasp the thought process behind it. At least we would have tried to put the correct pieces around him for once. SVG got Drummond a PG and some wings. He handed him the franchise and is disappointed with the return.
Instead Vlade let our star openly declare how happy he is in SAC, how he believes in this team, how this is home for him and how he wants his jersey to be retired in SAC. Vlade sent him to the All-Star break, believing everyone in this franchise is on the same page, everyone is supporting him and his desire to turn things around and to built his legacy here. How dishonest can you be? How far can you take the cheap excuse of how this is a business?

Well you have to look at the whole picture. As an Allstar player, there are very few who are minus. Most are ridiculously in the plus.

I don't want to run down all the things that everyone should know about the last 6 or 7 years. I just want to watch another scenario. Let the new players develop. We have some draft pics now. I can watch that.
Most all stars come from winning teams. Winning teams have a higher plus minus.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/individual-player-plus-minus-statistics/2016/

OP not providing all the info in order to push his agenda. You don't like Cousins, fine, but this is a bullpoopoo stat to support your argument.

Zaza Pachulia +316
Kristaps Porzingis -42
Anthony Davis -48
Damian Lillard -62

The guy we just traded him for (Hield) ranks in the bottom 30 of your stat out of nearly 500 players this season. Great win for the Kings!

How about using RPM instead?
Ya but you are talking about mostly young players. Lillard is having an off year but look at the rest of his career.

Ya but you are talking about mostly young players. Lillard is having an off year but look at the rest of his career.
AD is in his fifth year...Lillard is also in his fifth year and is older than Cousins, as well as having an all star caliber teammate for help...what are their excuses? Nice try posting a misleading stat and then back-pedaling when you get called on it.

AD is in his fifth year...Lillard is also in his fifth year and is older than Cousins, as well as having an all star caliber teammate for help...what are their excuses? Nice try posting a misleading stat and then back-pedaling when you get called on it.
Well now the Pelican have two minus Allstar players. We will see how that works out. Who will make up on defense? It does not sound like a match made in heaven. Hard to believe AD has been around 5 years.

Oh no doubt Cousins has his flaws. Most of us are well aware of them. Still he is a big, who can put up 30/10 games on a regular basis. There simply aren't many guys in the game able to do just that.
What makes me freak out about this trade, is that our so called GM never tried to assemble a roster around Cousins, that could cover his weaknesses. The best addition to this team by our beloved Vlade Divac, ther hero of many Kings fans, was Garret Temple, a guy, who is basically a deep bench player on every perennial Playoff team.
Like every player not named Lebron James Cousins needs a specific situation around him to be successful. And we never even tried to built that situation. Instead Vlade blatantly lied to him about his intentions and assembled a figleaf roster on shortterm deals now used to justify a DMC trade. And even when this figleaf roster was exceeding the expectations and was still in the Playoff hunt in late February, he decided to pull the trigger on the most laughable deal possible.
Look if this would be the Detroit situation, where SVG actively tried to built the roster around Drummond and Jackson, I wouldn't be that upset. I wouldn't be convinced, that trading our core piece is the right way moving forward, but I at least could grasp the thought process behind it. At least we would have tried to put the correct pieces around him for once. SVG got Drummond a PG and some wings. He handed him the franchise and is disappointed with the return.
Instead Vlade let our star openly declare how happy he is in SAC, how he believes in this team, how this is home for him and how he wants his jersey to be retired in SAC. Vlade sent him to the All-Star break, believing everyone in this franchise is on the same page, everyone is supporting him and his desire to turn things around and to built his legacy here. How dishonest can you be? How far can you take the cheap excuse of how this is a business?
You are being hard on everyone except Cousins. Cousins is not to blame? Come on, who is really responsible for this?

Cole Aldrich -38
Kaminsky +18
Tyler Zeller +32
Mason Plumlee +57
Embiid first year +71
Mark Gasol +99
Splitter +102
Steven Adams +146
Jokic +169
Cody Zeller +175
Draymon Green +583
Well...

First, I feel it's quite important to be accurate when it comes to stats,
and the number you were looking for was -28 , not -32(See HERE or below).

Second, once you remove players we don't have (Gay), and those who played only few, garbage minutes,
then it turnes out that DMC, Malachi and Casspi have the best (least negative) total +/- on the team...
(And we just shipped out 2 of them...)

Look below, then I'll go on.
upload_2017-2-20_13-42-31.png

Now, viewed per game, this table is even more alarming,
as Omri and Cuz are all alone at the top of what we've got used to have...
And since the overall per-game of the team as a whole is -2.7 (see below)
those -0.4 and -0.5 are not bad numbers...

upload_2017-2-20_13-57-22.png

...and per 100 possessions - Cuz is the undisputed sole leader of the pack:

(But wait - there's more)
upload_2017-2-20_14-2-55.png

As we know, bball is not an individual sport,
and the way players work together in lineups also matters.

Hence - when you lose Boggie & Omri you shouldn't only check
their individual contributions, separately, but also their synergetic contribution -
looking at how they did as a 2-man lineup, compared to the team's other combos.

Well here it is...

Well, they didn't play much together in total (only 204 minutes),
so we can't expect much... but... wait a minute! Can't we?

Not only does the Boogie+Casspi duo have an overall POSITIVE +/-
somehow, despite playing only 204 minutes, this duo has the
SECOND HIGHEST POSITIVE TOTAL +/- on the team, (for lineups without Gay)!!!
It's practically tied for first, really!

(Note that there ARE only 8 positive 2-man lineups...)
upload_2017-2-20_14-26-42.png

No wonder, then, that viewed per game, that 2-man lineup we just sent to NOP
is OUR NUMBER ONE COMBO, by far!
upload_2017-2-20_14-35-36.png

It's even quite close to the unavailable Cousins-Gay combo:
(If we drop the filter on lineups featuring Rudy)
upload_2017-2-20_14-31-1.png

...and once you check it PER 48, or PER 100-POSS the DMC+OC LINEUP is
WAAAAY AHEAD of any other 2-man lineup the kings had this season,
(with or without Gay!...)

upload_2017-2-20_14-42-33.png

Just thought you should know... :D:(

Last edited:
You are being hard on everyone except Cousins. Cousins is not to blame? Come on, who is really responsible for this?
I have been hard on Cousins multiple times. I admit the flaws in his game. I just don't buy the narrative, that he is the reason we continued to suck, when our FO and GM have been in the worst possible state for years now.
Just take a look at IT with the Kings and IT now. The difference? A roster tailormade to cover his weaknesses and to fuel his strengths.
I repeated this time and time again over the last few years. You want to play around a slow, true big today? You need 4 mobile, aggressive, athletic guys with enough length to switch any screen able to cover him on D and able to provide space for him on offense. Now take a look at our roster. We have one guy fitting this profile: Temple. One guy in 7 seasons?
How you can come away with the notion, that Cousins is responsible for that, is a mystery for me.
I get, that there is a lot not to like about Cousins personality for some. He is polarizing to say the least. But I for example absolutely hate to watch Steph Curry or Kevin Durant - these soft, feel good type of players, who will fold as soon as someone hits them hard (at least that's the way I see them, which is obviously a personal bias). But that doesn't mean, I can't admit they are great basketball players and not responsible for everything, that happens to their teams on and off the court.