Who wants Melo (trade idea)?

Would you do this trade for Melo?

• Total voters
I proposed this 3-for-1 trade on posting and toasting (New York Knicks SB Nation) when it was reported Phil Jackson was intent on finding new home for aging 32 year old high volume gunner Carmelo Anthony:

Melo to Kings

WCS
Tolliver
Rudy Gay To Knicks

Salaries are equal.

Besides normal formidable barriers to execution for trade occur, namely sides agreeing upon commensurate value, there is the not so insignificant variable of no-trade clause to Melo's contract, deeming he approve any trade to a new team.

Hey Melo, SAC is a 2-hour drive from blackjack tables in Reno and Tahoe....and only an hour flight from La La Land....and we have a new arena! Not like that broken decrepit antiquated facility known as Madison Square Garden!

The reason the Knicks would remotely consider this trade is because it is superior to Clippers offer of Austin Rivers and garbage.....or Jamal Crawford and garbage. With Willie you have a defender to put next to Porzingis and hope he can evolve into a 12/10/2 player...kind of like what we are waiting upon but getting impatient!

For Kings in win now mode, Melo is inserted as PF next to Boogie, to form unstoppable interchangeable inside-outside duo with Omri or Affalo along the frontline. We get #2 scorer to replace Rudy and turn into a playoff team for 1-2 seasons before Melo's career winds down and he cedes his position to Skal, whom the Kings rate higher as a prospect over Willie.

Would you do this trade? Despite recent resurgence of WCS, I would make this trade.

I know Melo is a high volume shooter and mediocre defender. But he's still damn good. He scored 45 points in quadruple OT game tonight against Hawks. He's Boogie's idol when he came into league, a player whom he patterned his game after. I think they'd form an instant bond, translating into cohesiveness and wins.

I doubt this trade happens but its fun to imagine the possibilities. :)

upload_2017-1-29_21-14-36.png

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
We just lost a ball stopper in Gay and now we are playing better, why would we get another ball stopper who is even older than Gay. I like Mel but I'd pass

We just lost a ball stopper in Gay and now we are playing better, why would we get another ball stopper who is even older than Gay. I like Mel but I'd pass
I do have mixed feelings about an aging Melo but he is more than qualified legitimate #2 scorer and adds 3 assists to 1.6 turnover (1.9 ratio) compared to 2.8 to 2.5 for Rudy (1.1 ratio). That's almost double.

Like I said in the OP, the rationale to do this trade is if the Kings project Skal has the better player than Willie once he gets seasoning and strength....then why not make the playoffs for next two years with Melo before he cedes to Skal? Unless we want to ultimately have three big man rotation of Skal and Willie and Boogie?

I think it boils down to the belief the Kings have in Willie and how badly they want to try to make the playoffs over the next 1-2 seasons. These are the decisions Vlade is paid to make.

If the plan is to go for the playoffs...then I'd absolutely do this trade. There's no real reason not to....

crap, I'd actually get excited about Melo on his team.

sidenote: I don't believe the Kings should go for the playoffs. I think we should retool and rebuild. But if playoffs are the plan, then I don't see why you don't do a Melo trade. It'll be hard for him to waive his No-Trade-Clause though.

Do you know what synergy means? It means the sum of the parts is more than the individual parts. I think Melo and Boogie would be synergistic. It's no guarantee of course but risk worth taking. Even though Willie is coming on a bit I still have yet to see him garner a tough rebound. Next time will be the first time.

Now that Rudy can't be a trade asset due to injury, I'll take Melo and a second round pick for KK/Affalo/Ben.
Though Affalo is starting to get his money's worth playing SF, he is quite undersized and hasn't produced much offensively.
Though Boogie is having monster games, this can't be sustainable as pretty soon teams will start to triple team him with not much other offensive threats on our roster.

No, I don't want Melo. He's overpaid (even in the new CBA), and I'm not convinced he helps a team win more than Gay does. He's also a ball stopper, poor defensive player, a mediocre 3pt shooter, & 33 years old at the start of next season (all not ideal next to Cousins).

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Boogie can't to it alone, and superstar players aren't always available. Having a big 3 in the modern era is kind of important, and right now we have a big 1. That ain't gonna get it done. Plus Melo adds much needed outside shooting, and another player that can create for himself. He may be a bit of a ball stopper a la Rudy Gay, but let's be real, he's way better than Gay.

id want to visit this just to see if Melo would waive his trade clause and become the first star player to actually want to come to Sac :D

that opportunity in itself to write history should be enough for Melo to come here

If, by some amazing situation, we were able to get Melo it is a flat out no brainer. I honestly don't see him waiving his no trade clause to come to Sac
Agree. The opposition to idea of adding Melo for only Willie, a guy who just busted his Achilles, and Tolliver is a bit of a surprise to me. Regarding waiving his no-trade clause, I would guess it would be unlikely too. But if Phil and the Knicks organization basically says we don't want you anymore, I am not so sure as a player I would want to be somewhere I am not wanted. I also think there has to be some appeal to play with the best center in NBA as a 32 year old wanting to extend his career.

Lala aunt coming to Sacramento otherwise I'd do a trade. I mean maybe Boogie can convince as there friends but I have a better chance getting with Sasha Banks
I love Sasha Banks too. She hits the gym like a beast and she wrestles like no other woman in the WWE. Fearless and awesome and goes flying over the top rope without hesitation! Now back to the Melo trade:

Willie has been raising his trade value with his recent play. But if Phil is intent on acquiring Love for Melo then he's over-valuing his aging over-paid high volume shot jacker. We are hardly going to be in a position to coerce Melo to come to SAC if Phil thinks Melo is worth Love. No way. Maybe as we approach the trade deadline potential trade partners will come to their senses and wheel and deal. But right now it looks like the deadline could come and go quietly. If Willie keeps up his impressive play thats not necessarily a bad thing.

P.S. Sasha is a Kings fan. Look at all that purple. :)

upload_2017-1-31_14-19-24.png

Attachments