Who do you want the Kings to Draft at #6?

Who do you want the Kings to Draft at #6?

• Total voters
Here is the annual poll on who you want the Kings to draft at #6.

We will assume that the top 3 is set in stone and will be gone by our pick 1)KAT 2) Okafor 3) Russell.

The rest of the field has a possibility of being there at #6.

So, who do you want the Kings to pick or do with the #6 pick?

Also, If you can list your top 3 for players available, in order of preference, that would give us more of a consensus of where Kingsfans stand. Thanks :cool:

My top 3 would be:

1) Mudiay - Best star potential. Gives DMC his inside-outside game (i.e. Duncan-parker, shaq-kobe, DMC-Mudiay?)
2) WCS - Best Fit for the Kings, given their needs. Can be defensive stud, with limited offense i.e. Tyson Chandler clone.
3) Winslow or Stanley Johnson - I think they will be immediate contributors. Can be two-way starters

Last edited:
I like Winslow, Cauley-Stein, and Johnson (about in that order, but I'd be equally happy with any of them).

I think all three will be very good defenders in their rookie years, and we need immediate help there.

Gary

All-Star
WCS, and if WCS isn't there then Mudiay. If Mudiay isn't there then trade the pick.

I do NOT want Porzingis. He's everything we do NOT need.

Winslow scares the hell out of me for some reason. Put him at SG?

Hezonja I do not want either.

So if we're 6th and the only player left of the top 6 is Winslow then I say we trade the pick.

Last edited:
1. Mudiay - if this guy is available when we draft, then I'm not sure we can pass on him. He's got a ton of talent and could develop into a star PG. We can aide his development with Collison, choosing to either start him or let him develop off the bench until he's ready.

2. WCS - this is who I voted for, and who I think is the most likely pick as long as the Knicks and Magic don't take him. He's got the potential to be an excellent defensive player, and if he can develop offensively [even just a bit] he could become an excellent final piece to our front court. Also, he could be a safety net if the unthinkable happened and Cousins departs [hopefully this doesn't happen, and I know WCS is no Cousins, but he could be our Chandler or Jordan at the C].

3. Winslow - not likely to be a starter for us unless he plays SG and displaces McLemore. But he could be an excellent sixth man giving us decent athleticism, defense, and shooting [similar argument can be made for drafting Hezonja].

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
After Towns and Russell, the next 3 best prospects to me are Stanley Johnson, Emmanuel Mudiay, and Myles Turner -- in that order. I've gone back and forth on Mudiay and Johnson as far as which I like more. Mudiay would be a better value pick and a better overall fit. That makes him really hard to pass up if he slips to us at #6. If I can get another pick and get Stanley Johnson at #9 or Myles Turner at #11 that's the best possible scenario for me, but if it comes down to only one pick, one prospect then the guy I really believe in is Stanley Johnson. If he's there when I'm picking I'm not going to let some other team take him, so that's my pick.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
To my way of thinking when a team is in our position: Core with super star in place, then picks need to be treated the way all other assets are used.. to get best fit players that complement the core. If you can't draft a sure thing to do that then trade the pick for the sure thing. WCS is that best fit guy. We need 1. rim protection, 2. perimeter D, 3. bench depth at the SG, pf and c. 4. outside shooting, up grades at the sg and pf... in just about that order. Drafting PGs, SF and young guys that need time to develop is just a waste of opportunity to get what we need today.

Last edited:
After Towns and Russell, the next 3 best prospects to me are Stanley Johnson, Emmanuel Mudiay, and Myles Turner -- in that order. I've gone back and forth on Mudiay and Johnson as far as which I like more. Mudiay would be a better value pick and a better overall fit. That makes him really hard to pass up if he slips to us at #6. If I can get another pick and get Stanley Johnson at #9 or Myles Turner at #11 that's the best possible scenario for me, but if it comes down to only one pick, one prospect then the guy I really believe in is Stanley Johnson. If he's there when I'm picking I'm not going to let some other team take him, so that's my pick.
Can you explain the Johnson love. Dude never impressed me when I watched he I wanted to like him to cause of the Artest comparisons. A SF who can't finish at the rim and can't shoot is a disaster waiting to happen.

hrdboild

Staff member
Can you explain the Johnson love. Dude never impressed me when I watched he I wanted to like him to cause of the Artest comparisons. A SF who can't finish at the rim and can't shoot is a disaster waiting to happen.
There's nothing statistical which says he's the third best prospect in the draft, it's mostly just eye test for me. Well, it's a combination of factors actually. Some of it is the eye test...

I'm not trying to pretend like this is anything other than a highlight reel, but you asked me to show you something so we'll work with what we have. And you can learn something from highlight reels. Look at how many different ways he scores in this compilation. He's got post-ups in there, spot-up threes, he can create space for a mid-range pull up jumper off the dribble, he splits a double team and finishes with a floater, leads the fast break through traffic, muscles in a putback on the offensive glass, curls off a screen and shoots in rhythm, cuts baseline and lays it in, attacks the closeout and finishes with a dunk. These are NBA ready moves. For a SF, he already has the complete arsenal of offensive skills he needs to be an All-Star.

But of course, that's only half of the game. Let's look at Stanley Johnson as a defender...

Okay, now watch that again and keep your eyes glued on #5 on the defensive possessions. He's closing out hard but under control, getting low in a defensive stance, anticipating passes and jumping the passing lanes, rotating smartly without losing track of his man, and crashing the boards whenever there's an opportunity. He does make a couple mistakes here, but he does so much right defensively that I forgive the occasional overplay.

Look at the play at the 1:45 mark. That is smothering perimeter defense. You can't play it any better than that. That's where the Ron Artest comparisons come from.

Now look at the play at the 3:36 mark. He chases his man to the weak side of the court but once he sees that he's two passes away, he drifts to the open space created near the basket and never takes his eyes off the ball. He's the only Arizona player who sees the dropoff pass coming and he's in perfect position to block the shot as a result. That's really smart team defense.

Now look at the play at the 5:11 mark. Doug Christie-esque ball denial right?

And the last play in this clip is perhaps the most impressive offensive play he's made in both of these videos. He throws a post-entry pass on the left side but there's nothing there so he gets it back and immediately flings it all the way to the right corner for a wide open three. He barely moves, he never dribbles the ball, but he creates a great look for his team through patience and court awareness. This is a freshman playing in the 10th game of his college career making that play.

So that's some of what I see on the court. The other reason I pushed him all the way up to third is that his intangible qualities are off the charts. He won 4 straight California HS championships. No one has ever done that before. Last summer he trained with Kobe Bryant in LA and took on Lebron at his skills camp. He thinks he's the best player in the draft but he has the right attitude about what his role will be:

"I don't want to walk into the NBA looking for a starting position," he said. "I want to work for everything. I think anything that's given to you can be counterfeit."
(link)

He addresses some of your issues with his shooting inconsistencies in this interview:

"I want to go in a situation where everyone is focused on winning.... where people want to win and compete everyday. Win or lose, if we're handling our business we can't go wrong".
Just listening to him talk, it's obvious this is a guy who isn't getting by just on physical ability. The way he talks about the game it's obvious he really takes his job seriously and watches a lot of tape.

So yeah, that's pretty much what I've got. I want this guy on the Kings tomorrow. I think when you look at his current skillset, his drive to get better, his physical tools, and his understanding of the game he has superstar potential.

Porzingis. He works out, he's the exact thing we DO need. A stretch 4 that can alter shots at the rim. I guess i'm not afraid to take a risk.

Porzingis. He works out, he's the exact thing we DO need. A stretch 4 that can alter shots at the rim. I guess i'm not afraid to take a risk.
We need him? I think a stretch 4 is the last thing on our list of needs. Regardless if he could block a shot a game. He cannot board at all. I would consider him if he could rebound the ball even haflway decent for being a 4. He's got Bargnani written all over him, and we don't need Bargnani.

Not too fond of Mudiay. His shooting problems are highlighted by his poor free throw shooting. It isnt just jump shots that he doesnt make.

It seems that Hezonja is being slept on. Right now id take Hezonja over Mudiay and Winslow. Between Johnson and Hezonja i lean towards Hez. Hes tall, athletic, can flat out shoot, attacks the basket, defends. Id probably take him if WCS was off the board.

We need him? I think a stretch 4 is the last thing on our list of needs. Regardless if he could block a shot a game. He cannot board at all. I would consider him if he could rebound the ball even haflway decent for being a 4. He's got Bargnani written all over him, and we don't need Bargnani.
I worry that drafting a defensive PF/C with no outside shooting capabilities will clog the paint. Cuz and Gay are post players. Having Cuz play the stretch position would be in the cards and I'm not ok with that. Karl was already experimenting with that at the end of the season.

I worry that drafting a defensive PF/C with no outside shooting capabilities will clog the paint. Cuz and Gay are post players. Having Cuz play the stretch position would be in the cards and I'm not ok with that. Karl was already experimenting with that at the end of the season.
I was thinking that it would be O.K. if WCS was a rebounder on the block opposite of the post-up. Like Reggie Evans, but taller and stronger.

Seriously if Mudiay falls to us, our FO better trade Collison right away for a stretch 4 or some picks.
A big PG with sick handles and defense, no matter the perimeter shooting woes, would save me season a bucket of tears from watching B-Mac still learning to improve his handles after 3 yrs in the league.

And that folks is actually our problem only DMC and Rudy are starting materials in this team.
Most of us would settle for WCS, the kid very good though, because replacing B-Mac or Collison with a rookie would be a scary investment.

But in all honesty, I don't think teams even bother to make a game plan to guard Ben, rather it's always a game plan to abuse our SG.
As for Collison, well he does well on the defensive end. But his not a born offensive beast so teams don't even bother much on how to guard him.

If we get a guy like Stanley Johnson or Winslow at SG, I think things will change for the good from game 1 in regular season.
If Mudiay slides to us, our PG will certainly earn attention from game 1 as well.

If we get lucky in this draft, it would be something like Mudiay sliding to 6th and we package Darren plus future picks or someone except DMC/Rudy for WCS.
Or we get Winslow/Johnson and WCS for the 6th pick plus either Nik/Ben (Ben's defense still has a lot be desired).

Or just pick WCS and sign Affalo.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Not too fond of Mudiay. His shooting problems are highlighted by his poor free throw shooting. It isnt just jump shots that he doesnt make.

It seems that Hezonja is being slept on. Right now id take Hezonja over Mudiay and Winslow. Between Johnson and Hezonja i lean towards Hez. Hes tall, athletic, can flat out shoot, attacks the basket, defends. Id probably take him if WCS was off the board.
Welcome to the Hezonja club!:)

K

KingMilz

The threat of the lob creates spacing, Tyson Chandler, McGee and guys like DJ are all in some way floor spacers due to the threat of the lob (they force a rotation), I'm not really worried if our big man next to Cousins can't shoot or space the floor as long as they have good hands and move without the ball well with elite athletic ability they will be fine. Our floor spacing has to come from PG/SG/SF unless we plan on playing Rudy at the PF spot.

We have not had an aerial attack options/threats from a decent big man (Hollins does not count) in a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
If WCS/Mudiya are both gone I'm saying **** it. Trade 6/JT/Landry/ Nik for Faried/Chandler than sign Koufos to 8-10mill per. No way I draft Payne on the top 10 and I'll take faried/chandler over the like of Winslow/Johnson/Mario. Chandler held opposing SF to a PER of 16 last year.

Winslow: Doesn't have the handle/ passing to be a all star SG and he won't produce where we need for 2-3year.

Johnson: I just don't believe won't be all that. Can't finish,dribble, or shoot. Yes he'll evantaully play defense but Chandler can do that and more right now.

1.) Willie Cauley-Stein

if not available, we should not hesitate to take.....

1.) Frank Kaminski
2.) Kristaps Porzingis

These guys will be highly productive and coveted players in the NBA for many years.

hrdboild

Staff member
If WCS/Mudiya are both gone I'm saying **** it. Trade 6/JT/Landry/ Nik for Faried/Chandler than sign Koufos to 8-10mill per. No way I draft Payne on the top 10 and I'll take faried/chandler over the like of Winslow/Johnson/Mario. Chandler held opposing SF to a PER of 16 last year.

Winslow: Doesn't have the handle/ passing to be a all star SG and he won't produce where we need for 2-3year.

Johnson: I just don't believe won't be all that. Can't finish,dribble, or shoot. Yes he'll evantaully play defense but Chandler can do that and more right now.
I just showed you that Stanley Johnson can do all of those things. He shot 37% from three as a freshman and 74% from the free throw line - that is not a player who can't shoot. He's not particularly elusive with his handle, but he doesn't need to be. He does have a quick first step and he overpowers defenders on the way to the basket, using his large frame to shield the ball and create seperation. Economy of motion is how I would describe his play style. When he does attack (and recall he was the leading scorer on the 5th best team in the country this year) its usually 2 or 3 sharp dribbles right at the basket and a power move through the defender. He struggled at times finishing in the paint but he averaged 4.7 FTA per game and that number is going to go up in the NBA where aggressive ballhandlers are more often given the benefit of the doubt on foul calls. Even if his offensive skillset is further away from NBA ready than I think it is, he's probably the best perimeter defender in the draft. Worst case scenario is we have a Tony Allen type defensive stopper on the bench who's strong enough to guard both forward positions. That's arguably a bigger need for us than an upgrade at PF or PG.

Not to mentiom, I think he's already better than Wilson Chandler right now. 16 PER is nothing to sniff at. Only 11 SFs had a 16 or higher PER this season so "held" is probably not the best choice of words. If that's an impressively low number to you, how come Chandler himself has posted a PER over 15 just once in 8 seasons?

I just showed you that Stanley Johnson can do all of those things. He shot 37% from three as a freshman and 74% from the free throw line - that is not a player who can't shoot. He's not particularly elusive with his handle, but he doesn't need to be. He does have a quick first step and he overpowers defenders on the way to the basket, using his large frame to shield the ball and create seperation. Economy of motion is how I would describe his play style. When he does attack (and recall he was the leading scorer on the 5th best team in the country this year) its usually 2 or 3 sharp dribbles right at the basket and a power move through the defender. He struggled at times finishing in the paint but he averaged 4.7 FTA per game and that number is going to go up in the NBA where aggressive ballhandlers are more often given the benefit of the doubt on foul calls. Even if his offensive skillset is further away from NBA ready than I think it is, he's probably the best perimeter defender in the draft. Worst case scenario is we have a Tony Allen type defensive stopper on the bench who's strong enough to guard both forward positions. That's arguably a bigger need for us than an upgrade at PF or PG.

Not to mentiom, I think he's already better than Wilson Chandler right now. 16 PER is nothing to sniff at. Only 11 SFs had a 16 or higher PER this season so "held" is probably not the best choice of words. If that's an impressively low number to you, how come Chandler himself has posted a PER over 15 just once in 8 seasons?
I'm going to watch this Stanley Johnson guy when he enters the league just because you keep harping on about him to the point where it's annoying :p

WCS for me and it's not even close. I just don't understand some of the thinking here. We have been complaining about a shot blocking presence for probably a decade now and here comes one projected to be in our range, had 3 years of college and is 21 years old, and you don't want him? So we can draft a SG/SF? Just completely illogical thinking to me. To those that say draft for talent... He is projected to go top 8 it's not like we are talking about a second rounder here. The man has talent and one that we need desperately. We need someone to cover the likes of Anthony Davis, LA, Griffin, and he can be it. It would be asinine not to take him if he's there. Sign a vet SG and you fix that hole. Draft WCS you suddenly have a starting PF/C combo that's worthy and you fixed your bench problem for a 3rd big (JT - if we don't trade him). PG? We don't need one desperately right now we have one that can the job done or hold down the fort until we get someone better.

hrdboild

Staff member
I'm going to watch this Stanley Johnson guy when he enters the league just because you keep harping on about him to the point where it's annoying :p
Please do! Better yet, watch some tape now and educate yourself. I harped on about Elfrid Payton last year and he made the All Rookie first team. Maybe I know what I'm talking about. I think WCS is more Mikki Moore than Tyson Chandler so imagine how annoying it is for me that 75% of Kings fans want us to draft that guy.

He's not Bargnani. He can dribble and moves much better.