Who do we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Raptors were a Eastern Conference Finals team last season too and we see how that has played out. That really doesn't mean much when you have to get through 23 to get to the Finals and as far as I'm concerned, that won't happen with IT and PG as your main players.
The Raptors should have gone out to the Pacers if the first round, and in the semis should have gone out to the Heat. Both of those teams blew it when they should have beat the Raptors. As a team the Raptors were streaky last season in the play offs and always had the potential to not progress further the following year.

If IT and PG aren't enough to carry them to a championship while Lebron is around or the Warriors out west. Then do the Celtics need to hit the reset button?

Fultz is unlikely to develop into the stud people think he will be for a few seasons. By that point Bradley will be nearly thirty years old if he stays, Horford will be entering his mid-30s, and IT might have gone or regressed. So their key trio are not really on the same timeline, so their choice is to keep them and do what they can in the play offs, or sell them and move onto their young players:

Smart / Fultz
Young / Brown
Brown / Crowder
?
?

If there's no belief that IT and PG or IT and Butler, plus what they've got on their roster can win, then they arguably need to move onto the young talent and hope that they can win, or that when they are ready to win the Cavs and Warriors are not as dominant. Personally I don't see the Celtics accepting that, I think they'll believe another piece like an all star player will give them that title chance.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If a trade for George or Butler is on the table for the first overall pick, I think the Celtics will do the trade.

IT is 28 years old, two time all star, and averages nearly 30ppg this season.

Bradley is a similar age and playing elite defense with good offense.

Horford is around 30 years old and still a reliable option.

They usually have two decent forwards, however they don't have an all star at one of those positions. Butler or George would be an upgrade over one of them. It would also keep them in win mode and potentially give them a better chance at title contention. Also, that core would all be in their prime years together.

Now I can see why a team might want to draft Fultz and have him succeed IT, but in that scenario they would need to be confident they could make their upgrades via other means. For instance persuading Hayward to join them, or Blake Griffin. That could be an appealing option since they'd get IT's successor and an all star, but it's risky business to bet on one of the big names signing for them and shunning their existing team. Plus, there would have to be a belief that Fultz can be special, maybe he will, but we've seen countless players down the years never live up to the hype. If he's one of them, they'll spend a long time going "what if" we had traded for Butler or George, maybe we would have another banner in the rafters. The flip could also happen if they don't win with Butler or George, but Fultz is a key member on a title team elsewhere, they'll be wishing they would have drafted him.

For me, I see them trading the pick for a current all star and placing their eggs in that basket.
I think you're may be thinking too highly of Danny Ainge's ability to wheel and deal.

We are talking about a guy who balked on a bajillion trades this year because he didn't want to give up Terry flippin' Rozier.

if the Celtics get the number one pick, they will not trade it for George or Butler IMO. They will instead groom Fultz and that may make IT expendable, as crazy as it sounds.
I agree with you if the Celtics score the #1 pick I believe they will keep it to draft Fultz. IT and Fultz are friendly (Washington) and can share the backcourt together. If the Celtics get the 2-4 pick I believe they will trade it.

IMO Celtics have their eyes on Hayward. Getting him without giving up anything and drafting Fultz would be a great start to the offseason

I'm trying to figure out what type of player he is... it's really hard. Seems like an interesting slashing guard?
From what little I've heard and seen, he seems like an athletic freak slasher. I know nothing of his shooting. With his hands and arm length plus his athleticism, a year under Calipari could turn him into an MKG-type defender.

If I had any pick from about 20-60, i'd take him.

The Raptors should have gone out to the Pacers if the first round, and in the semis should have gone out to the Heat. Both of those teams blew it when they should have beat the Raptors. As a team the Raptors were streaky last season in the play offs and always had the potential to not progress further the following year.

If IT and PG aren't enough to carry them to a championship while Lebron is around or the Warriors out west. Then do the Celtics need to hit the reset button?

Fultz is unlikely to develop into the stud people think he will be for a few seasons. By that point Bradley will be nearly thirty years old if he stays, Horford will be entering his mid-30s, and IT might have gone or regressed. So their key trio are not really on the same timeline, so their choice is to keep them and do what they can in the play offs, or sell them and move onto their young players:

Smart / Fultz
Young / Brown
Brown / Crowder
?
?

If there's no belief that IT and PG or IT and Butler, plus what they've got on their roster can win, then they arguably need to move onto the young talent and hope that they can win, or that when they are ready to win the Cavs and Warriors are not as dominant. Personally I don't see the Celtics accepting that, I think they'll believe another piece like an all star player will give them that title chance.
The Celtics need another legit scorer who can get his own shot. They can't rely upon only one such guy in IT in order to claim a championship. Avery Bradley isn't the guy, and neither is anyone else currently on their team. The question is, do they do it via trade or via the draft? Maybe if they claim the #1 spot and Fultz is available and he's the can't miss superstar everyone seems to think he is the Celts take him, but if I had to guess, I think they'd really like to trade the pick in order to get someone more in line with the age of the other players on the team. This would be similar to the Wiggins-Love trade that Cleveland orchestrated. We'll see...

Why wouldn't we just take Ntilikina at 10 in that scenario (if we've taken Dennis Smith at #8)? Since we're already overloaded with SGs anyway, at least with Ntilikina we'd be getting a guy who can play both guard positions not to mention you have two chances to land a starting PG with the other player getting backup minutes on the ball. I don't know that it would be the best use of our picks, trading down and trying to land a young SF and another pick might make more sense, but it would sure be better than a deep reach for yet another scoring guard to add to the Malachi, Bogdan, Buddy mix.
I think my point in this is, how do we really know that Ntilikina is any less risky than Diallo? It seems a reach for anybody to claim with authority that one is more or less risky, as there is really so little information at our disposal on both. Is it risky because we don't know, or it risky because Diallo really is more risky than Ntilikina if we did know? I'm just not going to be surprised if Divac picks somebody that is not one of the consensus 10 that is found in nba draft net or draft express.

Smart / Fultz
Young / Brown
Brown / Crowder
?
?

I mean they are at a bind at the moment considering they signed Horford in the offseason and he and IT are in their primes. Adding a Hayward, PG or Butler would make them contenders but still not enough to get past Cleveland IMO. That said, I don't trade Fultz for them. If it's a pick between 2-5 then I'd really consider pulling the trigger and give yourself the opportunity. I don't see why they would choose to hit the reset button now but you never know with Ainge.

IT, Paul George, Al Horford, Avery Bradley and whoever they sign in free agency to finally address that final starter spot along with a very solid bench would make them the Eastern Conference team with the best shot at knocking off the Cavs and Lebron.

Giving up on trying to win now because you don't think you can beat Lebron (who turns 33 at the end of this year BTW) is a loser mentality.

Besides, as promising as Fultz looks, he's still not a sure thing whereas PG is a known quantity as an all-star who just turned 27 and is in the beginning of his prime. That's a no brainer deal to me if Indiana accepts it.
No I understand what you are saying. You can't be scared to compete and build a contender and get that Bron monkey off their back. Every EC team is looking to achieve that. That said, if you feel Fultz has franchise player potential then you hold on to him and groom him and develop him and by the time he comes in to his own, if he comes into his own, then by that time the Celts would be considered the favorites in the EC. I know I'm looking forward a bit too much, but either way, I wouldn't fault them at all for making a win now move since the Horford signing clearly indicated that's the direction they would like to head in.

Hamidou Diallo's measurements were insane!
Yeah, a 44 inch vertical is off the charts. No one doubted his athleticism. The question is, how good is he as a player. If he stays in the draft, and starts doing workouts, don't be surprised to see him working his way into the lottery. He was a top five highschool player coming to college. The problem is, he hasn't played in a single game since highschool. He's the kind of player that can make you look bad if you pass on him, or make you look bad if you draft him. Almost a total mystery man.

However, I think he'll return to Kentucky if he doesn't get a promise from a team in the first round.

PG Frank Jackson? He looks like he could be a scoring guard in the NBA.
In his time at Duke: 25mins 10.9pts/1.7asts/2.5rebs/0.6stls/1.4tos
  • 47.3/39.5/75.5

Putback Dunk:

I'll need to watch more tape on him though. Maybe he could be a strong consideration at 10?

However, I think he'll return to Kentucky if he doesn't get a promise from a team in the first round.
It's never a bad thing to have too much talent... but I think Cal will start to regret recruiting 5 SF/PF combos.. I think Kentucky needs Diallo next year. His 5months of practicing at Kentucky is extremely valuable. It's almost like Cal gets to coach a 2nd year, 5 star-player. Diallo was very very smart in avoiding the 5-5 workouts. It could've risen his stock, but also could've tanked it hard.

I'm trying to figure out what type of player he is... it's really hard. Seems like an interesting slashing guard?
Well, from watching as much film as I can find, he appears to have a lot of offense in his bag of tricks. Of course it's just highschool, but you can see why he was so highly ranked.

It's never a bad thing to have too much talent... but I think Cal will start to regret recruiting 5 SF/PF combos.. I think Kentucky needs Diallo next year. His 5months of practicing at Kentucky is extremely valuable. It's almost like Cal gets to coach a 2nd year, 5 star-player. Diallo was very very smart in avoiding the 5-5 workouts. It could've risen his stock, but also could've tanked it hard.
I think it's great if you can find a way to stand out in the five on fives, but I don't think scouts or GM's put too much stock in it if you don't play well. You have a bunch of guys out there that are all trying to impress, so as a result, you get a lot of sloppy play and very little teamwork. I think most scouts are more impressed with the mistakes you don't make in that situation, than they are you turning in a 20 pt game. In other words, if you can look solid or good amidst all the chaos, your fine.

Yeah, a 44 inch vertical is off the charts. No one doubted his athleticism. The question is, how good is he as a player. If he stays in the draft, and starts doing workouts, don't be surprised to see him working his way into the lottery. He was a top five highschool player coming to college. The problem is, he hasn't played in a single game since highschool. He's the kind of player that can make you look bad if you pass on him, or make you look bad if you draft him. Almost a total mystery man.

Brooklyn would be stupid not to promise him this is the type of talent they need to gamble on.

Maybe we will trade Vlade Divac for him and he will turn out to be the next Kobe Bryant.
Its been awhile, 1996 in fact and I have watched limited film on Diallo, but your analogy reminds me of how I viewed Kobe Bryant. Not necessarily as a player but the situation.

If memory serves, David Thompson had a 44" vertical.

De'Aaron Fox was on ESPN talking to the guys about his game and I was very impressed with how he handled himself. Well spoken and seems like a fun guy to be around. Most impressive thing was he seemed like he was very intelligent and works on knowing the ins and outs of basketball. That's exactly what you want from your floor general. Hopefully a miracle occurs and he drops to us.

gunks

Hall of Famer
De'Aaron Fox was on ESPN talking to the guys about his game and I was very impressed with how he handled himself. Well spoken and seems like a fun guy to be around. Most impressive thing was he seemed like he was very intelligent and works on knowing the ins and outs of basketball. That's exactly what you want from your floor general. Hopefully a miracle occurs and he drops to us.
I heard tell he's being ranked ahead of Lonzo lately. Fox might be a pipe dream at this point.

I heard tell he's being ranked ahead of Lonzo lately. Fox might be a pipe dream at this point.
I think you're right about it being a pipe dream. I don't think Ball would fall to 8 but I wouldn't want him even if he did because the chances of him staying in Sacramento are probably as low as you can get.

• 47.3/39.5/75.5

Putback Dunk:

I'll need to watch more tape on him though. Maybe he could be a strong consideration at 10?
Nice, he's on my list as well, although more at 34 or if we trade back to a later first rather than 10. I like him a lot and he stood out when I was watching tape on Tatum. Kid is an amazing athlete and to me is just a hair under Fox in terms of quickness with the ball. What stood out to me is he's a very controlled player, despite being one of the most athletic and quickest players on the court. Perhaps that's just the Duke structure, but he looked very poised most of the time and usually always making the right play. He's excellent at getting to the rim and he knows how to finish (very strong and big; 6'3 200 pounds)

He's not near ready to run an NBA team yet, but he has all the skills you're looking for from an NBA guard: Ball-handling and playmaking ability/scoring/size/athleticism/shooting/defensive presence. I think he's definitely a guy that would be talked about more in the top 15 if he was the "man" of his own team and not stuck behind basically everyone else on Duke.

Nice, he's on my list as well, although more at 34 or if we trade back to a later first rather than 10. I like him a lot and he stood out when I was watching tape on Tatum. Kid is an amazing athlete and to me is just a hair under Fox in terms of quickness with the ball. What stood out to me is he's a very controlled player, despite being one of the most athletic and quickest players on the court. Perhaps that's just the Duke structure, but he looked very poised most of the time and usually always making the right play. He's excellent at getting to the rim and he knows how to finish (very strong and big; 6'3 200 pounds)

He's not near ready to run an NBA team yet, but he has all the skills you're looking for from an NBA guard: Ball-handling and playmaking ability/scoring/size/athleticism/shooting/defensive presence. I think he's definitely a guy that would be talked about more in the top 15 if he was the "man" of his own team and not stuck behind basically everyone else on Duke.
I agree with you. I ended up watching 2 of his tapes, and Jackson has good athleticism/quickness. He only kicks up the extra gear when he needs to. There's a few plays where I saw him casually drive from the baseline, but as soon as he gets by his defender, he'll burst to the rim. In that regards, he reminds me a lot of Fultz.
The biggest weakness is his inability to break down defenses. Right now, I don't think he has enough ball handling to be a lead guard. Jackson will be a project, but I view him as a combo guard. I think if his stock keeps improving, he can be a top 15 pick.

Jackson tested very well at the combine. 10th in agility lane, 1st in shuttle run, 5th in 3 quarter sprint, and 2nd in max vertical. Vertical was at 42". His 5 on 5 performance looked really good too.

In the unlikely event that we manage to land 2 and 10, do we trade both to get up to 1 and take Fultz? Or do we take Jackson, then draft whatever PG is available (DSJ/Ntilikina)?

• 47.3/39.5/75.5

Putback Dunk:

I wouldn't have a problem with looking at him for our 34th pick, but not at ten. He's more of a SG than a PG, but he can ball, that's for sure. I could see him as an off the bench combo guard. There's no way I would consider him at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.