Who do we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, just from reading stuff out of the Boston area over the last few months, I think their pretty high on Brown. If I were to guess, I think the player they might be interested in moving is Crowder. Could be wrong, but I think their looking at Brown as the heir apparent at the SF position. Crowder is on a decent contract for three more years, so it's not like he's killing their cap, but if push comes to shove and they need some more space to acquire a big name, then his 8 mil a year would be nice to have.

We could take him off their hands and swap picks with them. We get a stop gap SF and our pick of the litter. They can draft Zach Collins and obtain some cap space. Or not!
Crowder would be a nice addition at SF. Hes not yet 27 so a bit old for our youth movement, age is part of why I like Brown, but understand Boston seems high on him.
I'm not sure what your idea swap picks with Boston is unless they fall way back from the 1st pick and we trade the 8th and 10th for the 4th. Who knows, maybe we move up and its the 4th and 10th for their 1st? Boston does not need a PG and Fultz and Crowder would be one hell of a draft day haul for us.
I also wonder if Vlade and company has any interest in players like Zach Collins or Markkenan which might mean they are happy with the 10th spot.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Crowder would be a nice addition at SF. Hes not yet 27 so a bit old for our youth movement, age is part of why I like Brown, but understand Boston seems high on him.
I'm not sure what your idea swap picks with Boston is unless they fall way back from the 1st pick and we trade the 8th and 10th for the 4th. Who knows, maybe we move up and its the 4th and 10th for their 1st? Boston does not need a PG and Fultz and Crowder would be one hell of a draft day haul for us.
I also wonder if Vlade and company has any interest in players like Zach Collins or Markkenan which might mean they are happy with the 10th spot.
Hard to say about Collins or Markkenan. I mean, if I'm choosing between the two, I would take Collins. I just think he's an all around better player. Markkanen may be the better overall shooter, but Collins isn't a slouch from the three, and he blocks shots, rebounds and can score in the post as well. He's a better athlete than Markkanen. Thing is, I don't think you take either unless you think one of them is the best player available. Collins is a center, and I think he's going to be a very good center that's equipped to play in today's NBA. He definitely has stretch five potential. And, he's also tough, and plays with an attitude.

So if you draft him, then where does Willie play, or if you make him Willie's backup, then what do you do with big Papa? Perhaps Willie, if he continues to improve his jumpshot, can play some PF. Perhaps, Collins can. I guess it's a good problem to have, but at the end of the day, it does nothing to address our PG or SF situation. I've giving myself a headache..:confused:

Hard to say about Collins or Markkenan. I mean, if I'm choosing between the two, I would take Collins. I just think he's an all around better player. Markkanen may be the better overall shooter, but Collins isn't a slouch from the three, and he blocks shots, rebounds and can score in the post as well. He's a better athlete than Markkanen. Thing is, I don't think you take either unless you think one of them is the best player available. Collins is a center, and I think he's going to be a very good center that's equipped to play in today's NBA. He definitely has stretch five potential. And, he's also tough, and plays with an attitude.

So if you draft him, then where does Willie play, or if you make him Willie's backup, then what do you do with big Papa? Perhaps Willie, if he continues to improve his jumpshot, can play some PF. Perhaps, Collins can. I guess it's a good problem to have, but at the end of the day, it does nothing to address our PG or SF situation. I've giving myself a headache..:confused:
Don't give yourself a headache over it, we all know PG and SF are our glaring needs. I believe we can address one of those needs at 8 but might be looking at BPA at 10 which might be a slew of bigs. As of now I like Collins, not a huge need but maybe he is head and shoulders better than any big we currently have. How can you pass on that?
Much can happen between now and the draft, some boards have Frank N dropping to 12 who knows. I do think a trade of sorts with Boston for one of their SF's might be interesting especially if they get pushed back to a spot where a SF is the BPA. Its an interesting position we are in with two later top 10 picks . I can see all sorts of scenarios playing out, but if Vlade and crew play it right I am pretty excited about the possibilities.

Willie's strange post-all star resurgence as an offensive big has made things extremely confusing!!! Willie showing that he can step out in the 12ft area and make a shot.. showing that he can put the ball on deck and create some. His passing ability has really come out of thin-air. He's not good in any of these areas, but just the fact that he's shown these skillsets make things really complicated moving forward. Despite his offensive emergence, Skal's offensive showing, and the drafting of Papagiannis, I don't think we know that any of these guys could be franchise PFs/Cs. Things will get interesting, and I think the draft will be really telling in where Vlade and Co. rate Willie and Papagiannis. Skal too, but on a lesser extent probably.

I think if you end up drafting Collins, he could be a very good fit with almost every big on our team. He's really versatile in terms of what he brings to the floor, and he may have some abilities to guard the PF position. Great defensive front-court with Willie-Collins? Very balanced front-court with Skal-Collins? Collins-Papagiannis could be interesting too?

I'm perfectly fine with drafting Collins. I think he'd be the most talented big on the roster(very close race with Skal, but can't ignore his awful defense).

Personally, I am a big fan of Fox and outside of Fultz, he would be my #1 PG. I see a lot of people are writing off Smith Jr. Now I worry about the red flags but at some point, talent has to matter and Smith Jr. has the potential to be a star in this league and Kings need stars.

I would still like to think that Kings will try to trade up to get a franchise level PG. Hopefully it is for Fultz or Fox. I think Frank might be the only PG left on board at pick 8.

Personally, I am a big fan of Fox and outside of Fultz, he would be my #1 PG. I see a lot of people are writing off Smith Jr. Now I worry about the red flags but at some point, talent has to matter and Smith Jr. has the potential to be a star in this league and Kings need stars.

I would still like to think that Kings will try to trade up to get a franchise level PG. Hopefully it is for Fultz or Fox. I think Frank might be the only PG left on board at pick 8.

Agree, but I think it depends on your definition of star. Is Eric Bledsoe a star? I can totally see Smith putting up Bledsoe-like numbers. 20/6 with sometimes good defense. Is that enough? Or is that not enough and you have to be at an higher level like for example John Wall to be considered a star?

Agree, but I think it depends on your definition of star. Is Eric Bledsoe a star? I can totally see Smith putting up Bledsoe-like numbers. 20/6 with sometimes good defense. Is that enough? Or is that not enough and you have to be at an higher level like for example John Wall to be considered a star?
Injuries have affected Bledsoe's progress.

I think Smith could potentially be a more dynamic and better offensive player but Bledsoe but he is unlikely to ever be the defender that Bledsoe is.

An interesting note for the draft is that Hamadou Diallo declared for the draft but did not hire an agent. He is the player that enrolled early at UK during the Spring semester but never played. He is also credited for the rise of Malik Monk's defense having to guard him in practice.

What makes it interesting is that nobody expects him to stay in the draft. Calipari advised him to go through the process and let the scouts and GM's tell him what he needs to work on to get better.

However, knowing that he will be a high lottery player next draft, does someone take a flyer and promise him a high pick (like 10th) to swoop him up before he goes 1-5 next year? It would make sense for Vlade because he has a history of drafting guys and giving them time to develop.

Is there any method to my madness or do you think he is definitely going back to UK?

Willie's strange post-all star resurgence as an offensive big has made things extremely confusing!!! Willie showing that he can step out in the 12ft area and make a shot.. showing that he can put the ball on deck and create some. His passing ability has really come out of thin-air. He's not good in any of these areas, but just the fact that he's shown these skillsets make things really complicated moving forward. Despite his offensive emergence, Skal's offensive showing, and the drafting of Papagiannis, I don't think we know that any of these guys could be franchise PFs/Cs. Things will get interesting, and I think the draft will be really telling in where Vlade and Co. rate Willie and Papagiannis. Skal too, but on a lesser extent probably.

I think if you end up drafting Collins, he could be a very good fit with almost every big on our team. He's really versatile in terms of what he brings to the floor, and he may have some abilities to guard the PF position. Great defensive front-court with Willie-Collins? Very balanced front-court with Skal-Collins? Collins-Papagiannis could be interesting too?

I'm perfectly fine with drafting Collins. I think he'd be the most talented big on the roster(very close race with Skal, but can't ignore his awful defense).
Collins has been the next guy I've watched some tape on and man I'm wondering why the heck I waited so long. In virtually any other class, he'd be an easy top 5 pick. I've moved him way up my draft board and would grab him at 10 without question. Would even consider him at 8 if the board isn't looking all too favorable.

I think what stands out most of all is his outstanding floor presence for a young big man. If you never told me he was a 19 year old freshman, I would have thought he'd been playing for 4 years in college already. He's a very smooth (and good) athlete on both ends of the floor and you always feel like he's in the right place, making the right play and being insanely effective while doing so (70% TS with a 24% USG is crazy). He doesn't have Markkanen's offensive upside as a pure scorer, but he's still very skilled on that end and I do think he'll be able to extend his range to the 3pt line with his nice shot. He's a very capable rim-runner off the PnR and has the athleticism to finish plays effectively. Was a very effective rebounder in limited minutes at 18% TRB and is one of those players who goes and gets the ball rather than waits for it to come to him. With some rebounding concerns from the 3 guys we do have on the roster, this is a big plus in my eyes.

His post game is certainly better than Markkanen right now and his footwork is absolutely incredible for a 19 year old big man . He has that half-hook with both hands, the up and under move, the strength to finish with contact and great patience in the post.

I really like his upside as a rim protector at the next level as his timing on contesting shots is excellent. He's very active on the defensive end and always looking to put a hand up to contest shots.I don't have any concerns about his frame (although he could obviously continue to work on his body), as he looks ready now to compete in the paint against NBA bigs.

Really, the only major concern I have is he didn't get a lot of floor time this season. He flat out dominated in his minutes in all aspects, but I wish he we could have seen what he would have done with 30 MPG as opposed to 15. He's not a great passer at all yet, but with how skilled of an offensive player he is, I think that can be developed in time. He got in foul trouble too often this season, but that's to be expected with a young big man and how active he is on the defensive end

In Short:

The Good:
Post Game
Feel/Footwork
Athleticism
Rim-Protection with excellent timing
Quality Mid-range jumper that should extend to the 3pt line
High Energy
Size/Length/Frame
Rebounding
Can play the 4 and 5

The Bad:
Limited minutes
No Passing/Playmaking ability
Foul Prone

Not that anyone asked, but here's my Big Board (just prospect related, not taking teams into account)

1.Fultz
2.Jackson
3.Ball
4.Fox
5.Tatum
6. Monk
7. Collins
8. Ntilikina
9. Isaac
10. DSJ
11. Markkanen

Agree with everything, but the very last part. 9 out 10 rookies struggle on the defensive end, most of them mightily. Skals defense wasn't horrible. He just wasn't strong enough to stay with his man. He also didnt even play real minutes until the end of February.

An interesting note for the draft is that Hamadou Diallo declared for the draft but did not hire an agent. He is the player that enrolled early at UK during the Spring semester but never played. He is also credited for the rise of Malik Monk's defense having to guard him in practice.

What makes it interesting is that nobody expects him to stay in the draft. Calipari advised him to go through the process and let the scouts and GM's tell him what he needs to work on to get better.

However, knowing that he will be a high lottery player next draft, does someone take a flyer and promise him a high pick (like 10th) to swoop him up before he goes 1-5 next year? It would make sense for Vlade because he has a history of drafting guys and giving them time to develop.

Is there any method to my madness or do you think he is definitely going back to UK?
I'm not opposed to that. Diallo is a freak athlete. I've never seen a guard dunk in traffic the way he does. He plays the way people always describe Ronnie Fields playing. That would be a big bet that would not pay off for 3 years or so, but he has been playing Monk and Fox everyday since Jan. I'd be very curious as to what Cal said about his play.

I think Collins will rise during workouts. I think he might end up a top five pick, but will assuredly be seen as the top big. I don't think he will be there at 10 when we pick

Agree with everything, but the very last part. 9 out 10 rookies struggle on the defensive end, most of them mightily. Skals defense wasn't horrible. He just wasn't strong enough to stay with his man. He also didnt even play real minutes until the end of February.
I think Skal's defensive IQ needs a lot of work... he was horrible defending PnR. Constantly lost on defense, not knowing who to defend at times. Wasn't a factor at all in altering shots around the rim. Perimeter D went to complete shreds when players figured out that they could just attack at Skal. His lack of strength was the biggest reason why he was terrible, but he didn't really show much elsewhere either. It's normal for rookies to look lost, and I think Skal became exposed because guys constantly attacked him. Personally, I think he's looked worse on defense than any rookie we've had since Jimmer.

I don't think he has good defensive instincts, but if he gets stronger, it solves 75% of his defensive problems. He has the physical tools to be a really good defender though.

I think Collins will rise during workouts. I think he might end up a top five pick, but will assuredly be seen as the top big. I don't think he will be there at 10 when we pick
I don't think he goes top 5.
  • Suns have #2 and they need a C, but are they really going to draft him with Ball and Jackson there?
  • Orlando may or may not need a C, but I think they're still looking for their franchise player.
  • Minnesota needs a PF/C, but it depends on where they want to play KAT. KAT is much more suited to defend Cs, so do they see Collins as a PF? They're horrible on defense, so Collins could help them a lot.
  • Knicks maybe want a defensive C next to Porzingis, but Hernangomez has emerged nicely. As a rookie, he's grabbing 7rebs/game in 18mins! Willie in the same mins this year only grabbed 4.5. Knicks also need a franchise PG
I think Collins will be there at 10 unless another team trades up.

I think Skal's defensive IQ needs a lot of work... he was horrible defending PnR. Constantly lost on defense, not knowing who to defend at times. Wasn't a factor at all in altering shots around the rim. Perimeter D went to complete shreds when players figured out that they could just attack at Skal. His lack of strength was the biggest reason why he was terrible, but he didn't really show much elsewhere either. It's normal for rookies to look lost, and I think Skal became exposed because guys constantly attacked him. Personally, I think he's looked worse on defense than any rookie we've had since Jimmer.

I don't think he has good defensive instincts, but if he gets stronger, it solves 75% of his defensive problems. He has the physical tools to be a really good defender though.
I too saw some instances where Labissiere was exposed on defense, but I think you're blowing this out of proportion a bit. His defensive impact stats are actually not too bad at all.

Defensive On/Off: -1.5 (teams score 1.5 more points when he's off the floor)
DRPM: -0.03 (64th out of 94 PFs)

I think the Defensive On/Off might be a little misleading considering it doesn't control for his teammates, so if the teammates that replace him are worse at defense, it will make him look better. However, the DRPM is not too surprising. He's not great or even a good defender right now, but by no means is he a putrid defender.

Collins has been the next guy I've watched some tape on and man I'm wondering why the heck I waited so long. In virtually any other class, he'd be an easy top 5 pick. I've moved him way up my draft board and would grab him at 10 without question. Would even consider him at 8 if the board isn't looking all too favorable.

I think what stands out most of all is his outstanding floor presence for a young big man. If you never told me he was a 19 year old freshman, I would have thought he'd been playing for 4 years in college already. He's a very smooth (and good) athlete on both ends of the floor and you always feel like he's in the right place, making the right play and being insanely effective while doing so (70% TS with a 24% USG is crazy). He doesn't have Markkanen's offensive upside as a pure scorer, but he's still very skilled on that end and I do think he'll be able to extend his range to the 3pt line with his nice shot. He's a very capable rim-runner off the PnR and has the athleticism to finish plays effectively. Was a very effective rebounder in limited minutes at 18% TRB and is one of those players who goes and gets the ball rather than waits for it to come to him. With some rebounding concerns from the 3 guys we do have on the roster, this is a big plus in my eyes.

His post game is certainly better than Markkanen right now and his footwork is absolutely incredible for a 19 year old big man . He has that half-hook with both hands, the up and under move, the strength to finish with contact and great patience in the post.

I really like his upside as a rim protector at the next level as his timing on contesting shots is excellent. He's very active on the defensive end and always looking to put a hand up to contest shots.I don't have any concerns about his frame (although he could obviously continue to work on his body), as he looks ready now to compete in the paint against NBA bigs.

Really, the only major concern I have is he didn't get a lot of floor time this season. He flat out dominated in his minutes in all aspects, but I wish he we could have seen what he would have done with 30 MPG as opposed to 15. He's not a great passer at all yet, but with how skilled of an offensive player he is, I think that can be developed in time. He got in foul trouble too often this season, but that's to be expected with a young big man and how active he is on the defensive end

In Short:

The Good:
Post Game
Feel/Footwork
Athleticism
High Energy
Size/Length/Frame
Rebounding
Can play the 4 and 5

The Bad:
Limited minutes
Foul Prone
Good scouting report! The only thing I would add is that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he already has consistent 3 point range. You can find HS tape on Youtube where he hits them easily. And he also knocked down one beautiful 3 pointer in the Mcdonald's All American game last spring.

Not that anyone asked, but here's my Big Board (just prospect related, not taking teams into account)

1.Fultz
2.Jackson
3.Ball
4.Fox
5.Tatum
6. Monk
7. Collins
8. Ntilikina
9. Isaac
10. DSJ
11. Markkanen
Thanks for sharing. It's quite similiar to my board. I have 1 Fultz - 2 Ball - 3 Fox - 4 Tatum - 5 Jackson - 6 Monk - 7 Collins - 8 Isaac - 9 Ntilikina - 10 DSJ - 11 Markannen

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Yeah, I agree with your analysis. We don't really need another big man, but Collins would fit in very well with his ability to play in the low post, or step out and play away from the basket. He's a very good athlete, and a little underrated in that area. And, he can probably guard some of the PF's in the league. So while he's certainly not my first choice, he may end up being the only good choice at ten.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

In Short:

The Good:
Post Game
Feel/Footwork
Athleticism
High Energy
Size/Length/Frame
Rebounding
Can play the 4 and 5

The Bad:
Limited minutes
Foul Prone
Well your preaching to the choir with me. I've been praising Collins all year long. He didn't get the minutes because of playing behind the 7'1", 300 pound senior monster, Karnowski. Plus after Karnowski and Collins, Gonzaga didn't have another credible big man on the roster. I also think that Mark Few was hopeful that Collins might come back for his sophmore year if he didn't get a lot of burn this year. But if you look at Collins per 40 minute totals, they're off the chart. Despite not getting that many minutes, he was still very very impressive. He plays with serious attitude, which sometimes gets him into foul trouble. He would be the best shotblocker on our team. I believe he blocked 1.7 shots a game in only 17 minutes a game.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

1.Fultz
2.Jackson
3.Ball
4.Fox
5.Tatum
6. Monk
7. Collins
8. Ntilikina
9. Isaac
10. DSJ
11. Markkanen
Other than having Isaac higher, it's almost identical to mine. I have Isaac at seven, and Collins at eighth.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not opposed to that. Diallo is a freak athlete. I've never seen a guard dunk in traffic the way he does. He plays the way people always describe Ronnie Fields playing. That would be a big bet that would not pay off for 3 years or so, but he has been playing Monk and Fox everyday since Jan. I'd be very curious as to what Cal said about his play.
Diallo was one of the top highschool players in the country before arriving at Kentucky. He could have played this year in the second half of the season, and decided not to. From some of his statements, I think he's leaning more toward returning to Kentucky. He said it was always his plan to declare, talk to the teams to get a feel where he might be drafted, and then, unless he got a promise from a team in the lottery, return to school. I hope he's worked on his jumpshot with his spare time. His biggest weakness is his outside shot. His biggest strength is his ability to defend.

I like the thought process of drafting Diallo while his value is low. He is a SG, our loaded position, and I don't see any combo guard in him at least not now. Philli is a team often connected to Monk, and Diallo has better size for a SG, they could very well have two top 10 picks if LA falls out of the top 3.Those would be high draft picks closer to 5 than 10 but, damn if this kid looks good in the the draft workout process how do you say no.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Good scouting report! The only thing I would add is that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he already has consistent 3 point range. You can find HS tape on Youtube where he hits them easily. And he also knocked down one beautiful 3 pointer in the Mcdonald's All American game last spring.

Thanks for sharing. It's quite similiar to my board. I have 1 Fultz - 2 Ball - 3 Fox - 4 Tatum - 5 Jackson - 6 Monk - 7 Collins - 8 Isaac - 9 Ntilikina - 10 DSJ - 11 Markannen
Collins shot 65.2% overall and 47.6% from the three. He attempted 21 three's and made 10. So I'd say he's a pretty decent three point shooter right now, but base on a small sampling. I believe I said earlier that he averaged 1.7 blocks, but it was 1.8 blocks per game. As has been pointed out, he has very good footwork in the post, thus the 65% FGA.

I like seeing the interest in Zach Collins, I watched the NCAA final and when Collins fouled out Gonzaga unraveled. He could be our best big and I believe there is room for improvement with our bigs.
Again workouts well tell a more complete story. I can't imagine hes not on Vlades radar considering where we are likely to pick. Hey and even if he is not a King, his almost guaranteed rise should push a good player back to us.

I keep forgetting Philly may land another top pick in this draft. Might be another possible avenue for moving up.

I keep forgetting Philly may land another top pick in this draft. Might be another possible avenue for moving up.
Yep, I have never lost sight of Philli s situation. With their own luck and our falling top two they could have the first two picks in this draft. The beautiful part about this is, besides us getting a higher pick, it pushes LA out of the draft

Yep, I have never lost sight of Philli s situation. With their own luck and our falling top two they could have the first two picks in this draft. The beautiful part about this is, besides us getting a higher pick, it pushes LA out of the draft
Maybe I got that wrong, they can definitely get the one and another top 5 pick. I have to think about it, but they have considerable chances in this draft.

@Jimbob
Totally understandable and we were typing our posts around the same time.

Your point still stands, Philly is sitting pretty. I am wondering if we can use our better pick and maybe Richardson or someone else to move up a few spots and grab at least one player we really want, if getting in to top 3 proves futile.

Status
Not open for further replies.