Who do Kings pay top $$ to as shooting guard?

The new CBA has me wondering who the Kings are going to pay top dollar for next year as a shooting guard. Dwayne Wade is over-the-hill but maybe a short term give-it-a-shot idea. I'm not sure he's worth a huge salary at this late in his career though. I have no idea who the best guards are Collegiate-wise, but wonder if the Kings pick will be high enough if swapping.

They're gonna have to pony up for someone, the same as any NBA team. I don't know how the Kings Organization will keep in the black - the team is just not competitive enough thanks in large part to year-after-year of poor or merely average Free-Agency and drafting

I doubt that we will be spending huge money on SG. I think we might be spending big on PG and PF if we can find a way.

Temple, Bogdanović and Richardson will be looked upon to provide consistentcy at SG and looking at Joerger's Memphis teams, he never had big production from SG. That spot was reserved for good defenders (Allen and Lee) who could preferably shoot the 3 (Lee)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
SG is the least of my concerns right now. We'll have 4 SGs under contract next season unless we buy out Afflalo and we just spent 2 first round picks on Malachi and Bogdan so it doesn't make sense to block them with another long-term contract. We need a PG, SF, and PF and we can afford one of them so we'll see how Vlade manages that. I don't care to make suggestions at this point. Nothing I want the team to do ever happens anyway.

SG is the least of my concerns right now. We'll have 4 SGs under contract next season unless we buy out Afflalo and we just spent 2 first round picks on Malachi and Bogdan so it doesn't make sense to block them with another long-term contract. We need a PG, SF, and PF and we can afford one of them so we'll see how Vlade manages that. I don't care to make suggestions at this point. Nothing I want the team to do ever happens anyway.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ??

Weren't you the one that campaigned long and hard for Rondo, and the Kings shockingly came through with that one? ;)

I think Afflalo will be seeing alot of time at the SF now and maybe next year.

SG should be OK for next year. Not great, but hopefully one of Bogdan/Malachi emerges to split time with Temple.

This team needs a PG, and I say gamble and spend cash on Jrue Holiday. A tier above Collison, experienced, but young enough to be part of a core in 3-5 years. Just pray he stays healthy.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ??

Weren't you the one that campaigned long and hard for Rondo, and the Kings shockingly came through with that one? ;)
True! And they signed Caron Butler, one of my all-time favorite players, in the same off-season! It was a joyous time. :) But then they made zero effort to re-sign Rondo after one season in which he led the league in assists, was top 10 in steals, and shot 36.5% from three yet somehow became an even bigger scapegoat than DeMarcus has grown to be. Oh and they ultimately bought out Butler after an entire season where George Karl refused to play him for no apparent reason. So from my perspective right now (because all history is revisionist history...) that wasn't what I had in mind at all. Shockingly :rolleyes: our defense did not 'rebound' by going back to Collison as the starting PG this year, it actually got worse. But point taken... for 2 beautiful months I was on top of the world. Well sortof. I hated the Cauley-Stein draft pick in that same off-season and I'm still kindof mad that we don't have Mudiay, Johnson, or Turner on our team right now.

K

KingsFan80

At shooting guard we will have Temple and Malachi, and we will sign Bogdan. I don't think we'll go all out for another SG.
Is there report saying Bogdan is coming next year? Malachi hasn't even played in a game and Temple is not a starting SG in the NBA. I hope Vlade has a better plan than that

bajaden

Hall of Famer
SG should be OK for next year. Not great, but hopefully one of Bogdan/Malachi emerges to split time with Temple.

This team needs a PG, and I say gamble and spend cash on Jrue Holiday. A tier above Collison, experienced, but young enough to be part of a core in 3-5 years. Just pray he stays healthy.
I love Holiday, but man, I just can't make myself take a gamble on him staying healthy.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't see a guard who will be attainable and worth paying big money to on the market, so therefore I'd roll with Bogdan, Malachi & Temple until something better presents itself.

We are never going to sign guys that are core pieces. We can sign guys like Temple and Koufos to be good role players but even in our hayday we couldnt attract big free agents. You have to hope Malachi or Bogdan become very good players and you have to start hitting on your drafts.
Hope is one thing, but this is business. How many more losing seasons is this franchise going to be able to eat? Or put another way, will fans be willing to pony up a for a losing product in a business measured by wins and playoff competition? The current organization has proven average at best in the draft especially lately, so attracting free agents becomes more important regardless of history. And anyway in the heyday with Webber, they didn't need to attract big free agents; Petrie and then organization were hitting on late draft picks and making good trades.

True! And they signed Caron Butler, one of my all-time favorite players, in the same off-season! It was a joyous time. :) But then they made zero effort to re-sign Rondo after one season in which he led the league in assists, was top 10 in steals, and shot 36.5% from three yet somehow became an even bigger scapegoat than DeMarcus has grown to be. Oh and they ultimately bought out Butler after an entire season where George Karl refused to play him for no apparent reason. So from my perspective right now (because all history is revisionist history...) that wasn't what I had in mind at all. Shockingly :rolleyes: our defense did not 'rebound' by going back to Collison as the starting PG this year, it actually got worse. But point taken... for 2 beautiful months I was on top of the world. Well sortof. I hated the Cauley-Stein draft pick in that same off-season and I'm still kindof mad that we don't have Mudiay, Johnson, or Turner on our team right now.
Seeking Rondo this offseason may not be a completely horrible idea. I'll admit I didn't really care that he left, but he's been with the team before. Still It wouldn't be addressing the problem at 2, and more of a lateral move. Dwayne Wade would probably require too much money for his age (ie. poor value) anyway. Will have to see how the draft pans out (if at all) too

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Seeking Rondo this offseason may not be a completely horrible idea. I'll admit I didn't really care that he left, but he's been with the team before. Still It wouldn't be addressing the problem at 2, and more of a lateral move. Dwayne Wade would probably require too much money for his age (ie. poor value) anyway. Will have to see how the draft pans out (if at all) too
Rondo has NO desire to return to Sacramento. Zero. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Rondo has NO desire to return to Sacramento. Zero. Nada. Zip. Zilch.
What, you talked to him on the phone this week? You're probably right nonetheless. I'd suppose he felt dissed a bit at the last offseason free agency, granted the Kings were not going to pay him top-talent dollar for his mid-level talent. He flourished thanks in no small part to Karl giving him much freedom. That would not happen under the new coach. The whole idea was a musing to begin with - trying to flesh out possible value possibilities. This new CBA is ominous for owners and franchises without deep pockets; great for players. Kings may stand to suffer as well. It starts to become about guaranteed money, but you have the next Gilbert Arenas or in the Kings lesser case Kenny Thomas, players leeching money and Cap Space with little or nothing in play return.

Comparing China to the league Bogdanovic is playing in is like comparing division III college ball to division I.
I heard the same kind of argument from Greek supporters for PapaG. Your comment is besides the point that competition out of the NBA is levels below. I thought Mario Hezonja looked pretty talented in his outside league highlight clips last year, but he has underwelmed for the Magic, and I dont think Bogdanovic is Hezonja's superior at all.