Which teams voted FOR relocation? (split)

I recieved some blowback last time, but it is still itching my curiosity who were the 8 who voted against us, and how has this not leaked with so many involved.. I believe I know 6 with a fair degree of certainty

Maloofs - idiots
Lacob - Wants Norcal to himself
Grousbeck - Hansen associate
Buss - her slime bag husbands newest career - lol
Allen - Seattleite
Sterling - the original to set the precedent that slime bag owners should move where they please

now, who the other 2 were is still on my mind

And yes I know of the conspiracy theory that the 8 might have been voting against us for political reasons rather than principal, but I don't go with that until there is any proof of that

I recieved some blowback last time, but it is still itching my curiosity who were the 8 who voted against us, and how has this not leaked with so many involved.. I believe I know 6 with a fair degree of certainty

Maloofs - idiots
Allen - Seattleite
Sterling - the original to set the precedent that slime bag owners should move where they please

And yes I know of the conspiracy theory that the 8 might have been voting against us for political reasons rather than principal, but I don't go with that until there is any proof of that
Proof? Are you serious? There will never be proof of that, not even sure how there could be.

The Lakers organization has NEVER gone against the best interests of the league (i.e. what the comish wants). Why would she do that knowing the vote wouldn't pass anyway, and end up wasting political capital on a fruitless endeavor?

Further, why are you going on in this direction even though you don't have proof that votes were on principle rather than politics? You don't have proof either way, so why continue on in only one direction, and the direction that will end up causing the most resentment anyway? Just seems pointless to me, unless you just prefer to look for people to have a grudge against, rather than looking for more positive things. In that case it would make sense.

Proof? Are you serious? There will never be proof of that, not even sure how there could be.

The Lakers organization has NEVER gone against the best interests of the league (i.e. what the comish wants). Why would she do that knowing the vote wouldn't pass anyway, and end up wasting political capital on a fruitless endeavor?

Further, why are you going on in this direction even though you don't have proof that votes were on principle rather than politics? You don't have proof either way, so why continue on in only one direction, and the direction that will end up causing the most resentment anyway? Just seems pointless to me, unless you just prefer to look for people to have a grudge against, rather than looking for more positive things. In that case it would make sense.

As, I told LWP777, I'm not looking to dislike these people at all, they can vote how they want, I just want to understand where they are coming from. We will know pretty much if it was principle or politics once we see the list of 8, I believe.. I was just wondering, with 30 owners, its just odd that this hasn't leaked.. I know who voted against the sonics relocation 28-2 (Cuban, Allen), but not who yet voted here

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As, I told LWP777, I'm not looking to dislike these people at all, they can vote how they want, I just want to understand where they are coming from. We will know pretty much if it was principle or politics once we see the list of 8, I believe.. I was just wondering, with 30 owners, its just odd that this hasn't leaked.. I know who voted against the sonics relocation 28-2 (Cuban, Allen), but not who yet voted here
You will never know where they were coming from. You can make deductions and assumptions but there's no way to know for sure. It's one of the great mysteries of the universe, much like where the missing sock goes when you're doing your laundry.

My best guess is that the vote would actually have been much closer but some owners may have gone over to the side of Seattle so that Hansen/Ballmer would still be encouraged to want to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the NBA for an expansion team at some point in the future. You dismiss that possibility because there is no proof, but we'll not know for sure unless the owners talk - and at this point I think it's fairly clear none of them wants to do so.

Sorry, but I think it's pretty apparent you're just about the only one still wondering about this. The rest of us have moved on. Why? Because it doesn't matter in the least.

Maloofs - idiots
Allen - Seattleite

I'm pretty sure that one of them was Cuban. He'll do anything to go against Stern on every issue and supposedly he, along with Buss and Grousbeck, got into the "heated" argument with Stern at the BOG meeting. Since Grousbeck and Buss were Seattle supporters and he was on their side in the argument, logic would state that he voted for Seattle.

But like VF says, it doesn't really matter anymore. None of them can do anything now. It's full steam ahead on the new arena which I predict can get done in time for the regular season opener in 2016. I actually kind of like the idea of playing all the pre season games at STA and then moving in to the new crib for the actual season opener. Playing pre season games in the new arena takes a little luster off the actual opening night.

Last edited:
I gotta admit I'm a little curious too.

Some tweets on the day of the vote said Jeannie Buss looked unhappy, and later Phil sounded incredulous that the move had not been approved, so I think the Lakers were a Y vote.

There were photos on twitter of Stern speaking and gesturing in an animated fashion with a group of 7 or 8 owners, including Cuban. Perhaps he was trying to encourage a unanimous vote - who knows.

This news story took over some of our lives - I know I became a twitter addict for a while there - so I'm not surprised if some poeple don't want to let it go. And in fact I'm still keeping an eye out for the list of 8. The only three I feel certain are Maloof, Allen, Buss. I don't assume Cuban voted Y, because maybe he would reject Sac relocation on the same basis he rejected Seattle relocation.

It is not to establish a grudge on an emotional level, but some of the fun of NBA for me is having "enemy teams" (BEAT LA anyone?). Now I can root against Portland with gusto. Who else?

So all we know for sure was Cuban, Buss and most likely Allen? I don't think Lacob voted against us, and I don't think Sterling did. Lacob wants Norcal? I don't think Kings fans are going to change to Warrior fan if we lost the NBA. It would be like Seattle fans becoming Trailblazer fans. That didn't happen.

My mom and dad stopped watching that Whale show with Cuban on it because of his vote. :)

I don't personally care who voted for the relocation. I would assume that whichever way they voted was for business reasons, and that's their job. I will say that if we spoiled Phil Jackson's plans by not giving our team to Seattle, that's frosting on the cake. :)

Allen was a Yes (to relocate) - according to Chris Daniels. I'm pretty certain Lacob was a no - I read a comment from him saying the Kings staying was good for the league.

It would also created a tense situation having your vice chairman as someone you voted against.
I would understand, if Lacob did indeed vote for relocation, and its a if, it would have been hard voting against someone who is vice chairman and from what I hear was actually instrumental in helping you acquire the franchise, but to me it just makes way too much business sense. Lacob has an organization to run and needs to look out for its prosperity.. Not only are you talking about Northern California - Sacramento on up, you are talking about the Central Valley, anything East of Sacramento etc.. Lacob if he voted for relocation, along with the Maloofs and Allen I personally couldn't even blame

So all we know for sure was Cuban, Buss and most likely Allen? I don't think Lacob voted against us, and I don't think Sterling did. Lacob wants Norcal? I don't think Kings fans are going to change to Warrior fan if we lost the NBA. It would be like Seattle fans becoming Trailblazer fans. That didn't happen.

My mom and dad stopped watching that Whale show with Cuban on it because of his vote. :)
Shark Tank you mean?

I would understand, if Lacob did indeed vote for relocation, and its a if, it would have been hard voting against someone who is vice chairman and from what I hear was actually instrumental in helping you acquire the franchise, but to me it just makes way too much business sense. Lacob has an organization to run and needs to look out for its prosperity.. Not only are you talking about Northern California - Sacramento on up, you are talking about the Central Valley, anything East of Sacramento etc.. Lacob if he voted for relocation, along with the Maloofs and Allen I personally couldn't even blame
It would also open the door for Ellison to put a team in San Jose.

Maloofs - idiots
Allen - Seattleite

I'm pretty sure Cuban was a "yes" for relocation. He's in the "owners should be able to do whatever they want" camp. And, as someone else mentioned, he likes to antagonize Stern. Not too sure about Lacob, though... as others have said, he wouldn't want the Kings gone and another team possibly wanting to move to the bay area. Plus, I would think he'd like his partner (Vivek) to take the next step and become primary owner somewhere.

I'm pretty sure Cuban was a "yes" for relocation. He's in the "owners should be able to do whatever they want" camp. And, as someone else mentioned, he likes to antagonize Stern. Not too sure about Lacob, though... as others have said, he wouldn't want the Kings gone and another team possibly wanting to move to the bay area. Plus, I would think he'd like his partner (Vivek) to take the next step and become primary owner somewhere.
On the Sacramento Kings being a prime candidate to move to Seattle:

“I don’t think the NBA looks at that in terms of, ‘Let’s push one team to go here or there.’ Every owner that has an NBA team, it’s their baby. It’s up to them to determine what’s best for them. And so — whether Sacramento or any team — it’s going to be up to somebody to go in there and acquire the team, and then make an application to move the team to Seattle. What I can tell you is I can’t imagine any owner standing in the way of that. … I’d be shocked if any owner stood up and said that was a bad idea.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/01/mark-cuban-nba-in-seattle-sacramento-kings/

Sounds like it Jose, Cuban was a yes... I actually had him on my first list, it just slipped my mind to include him here...

Also have heard rumblings of Peter Holt, but have no clue what the link would be there

On the Sacramento Kings being a prime candidate to move to Seattle:

“I don’t think the NBA looks at that in terms of, ‘Let’s push one team to go here or there.’ Every owner that has an NBA team, it’s their baby. It’s up to them to determine what’s best for them. And so — whether Sacramento or any team — it’s going to be up to somebody to go in there and acquire the team, and then make an application to move the team to Seattle. What I can tell you is I can’t imagine any owner standing in the way of that. … I’d be shocked if any owner stood up and said that was a bad idea.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2012/10/01/mark-cuban-nba-in-seattle-sacramento-kings/

Sounds like it Jose, Cuban was a yes... I actually had him on my first list, it just slipped my mind to include him here...

Also have heard rumblings of Peter Holt, but have no clue what the link would be there
Wouldn't surprise me. Holt was the one who originally wanted the expedite a vote to relocate the team to Seattle. Not sure if the surge put on by KJ, the fans and the whales flipped him but he was definitely for Seattle at first.

I've been very interested in this also. I tweeted a bunch of local reporters asking if they had any info and the ones that replied basically said the owners were being VERY tight lipped about it. The only ones we know for sure are Allen and the Maloofs. I've heard rumors that Buss, Grousbeck, Cuban, and Jordan also voted yes. But I've been unable to confirm those last 4.

Now, damn near 3 weeks later, I'll give up on finding out who the 8 FOR votes were.. It surprises me when you have 30 owners, an untold amount of representatives and other officials on hand that this couldn't leak by now.. I'm actually thinking that there has to be some type of agreement, maybe even on paper, keeping folks from leaking this information

Now, damn near 3 weeks later, I'll give up on finding out who the 8 FOR votes were.. It surprises me when you have 30 owners, an untold amount of representatives and other officials on hand that this couldn't leak by now.. I'm actually thinking that there has to be some type of agreement, maybe even on paper, keeping folks from leaking this information
i seriously doubt that the breakdown of the final vote hasn't leaked because the league wants to put a tight lid on it. it's more likely that nobody really cares to leak this particular bit of information because nobody really cares to know this particular bit of information. the vote's been taken. the kings are staying in sacramento. and it wasn't even close. it was an absolute sweep against relocation...

since the day after the vote, i'm not sure i've heard a peep from anyone anywhere expressing even the slightest interest in knowing which owners supported relocation. except for you, of course. it's probably a good thing that you've decided to give up on it. everyone else has moved on...

;)

i seriously doubt that the breakdown of the final vote hasn't leaked because the league wants to put a tight lid on it. it's more likely that nobody really cares to leak this particular bit of information because nobody really cares to know this particular bit of information. the vote's been taken. the kings are staying in sacramento. and it wasn't even close. it was an absolute sweep against relocation...

since the day after the vote, i'm not sure i've heard a peep from anyone anywhere expressing even the slightest interest in knowing which owners supported relocation. except for you, of course. it's probably a good thing that you've decided to give up on it. everyone else has moved on...

;)
Well I would have liked to known. So you can make that at least two people.

;)
chris daniels :D

;)
Lol.. but the part in bold aint true man.. It SHOULD have been a sweep against relocation, that is what I was expecting and what Grant was predicting on air the days prior (he was saying 28-2/27-3 possibilities).. 22-8 is a split decision after an initial relocation committee recommendation of 7-0, and quite frankly shocked and disappointed me (although I know some other members on this board have other theories for the vote)

Last edited:
Lol.. but the part in bold aint true man.. It SHOULD have been a sweep against relocation, that is what I was expecting and what Grant was predicting on air the days prior (he was saying 28-2/27-3 possibilities).. 22-8 is a split decision after an initial relocation committee recommendation of 7-0, and quite frankly shocked and disappointed me (although I know some other members on this board have other theories for the vote)
well, perhaps "sweep" was the wrong choice of word, but "blowout" would certainly apply. given the kind of money the seattle group was wielding, on top of their big market advantages, it's not surprising in the least that several owners were swayed by the numbers. every member of the board of governors is not bound by league rules to agree with their various committees' recommendations. there will always be dissension in the ranks, particularly on issues as complex as the one presented to the nba in this instance...

personally, i was amazed by the 22-8 vote. i thought it would be a true split decision, with sacramento edging out seattle. and, given where it all started, with the sale of the kings to a group of investors from seattle pending approval of the league, nate silver himself couldn't have predicted such an outcome. i suppose i just don't understand how anyone could be disappointed by such a landslide victory in favor of sacramento. it's like complaining that the kings won a game by 22 points rather than by 30 points. sure, "30" is nice and round, but a win is a win is a win...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can honestly say that I don't care a tinkers damm about who voted yes or no. Water under the bridge at this point, and if I did know, I could care less why they voted that way. Free country, vote any way you want. We won, and thats all I care about. The rest is all soap opera!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I care. I'm glad this thread is here because I bet someday we will know. You don't care? BYE GTFO then.
There's been a long-standing discussion/debate between some members about the vote, which teams would go which way, etc. This thread is pretty much a continuation of that interminable discussion. I don't think the GTFO is necessary...