Where is Omri?

His ball handling and defense were poor and he couldn't make his free throws at a reasonable rate. It's pretty amazing he suddenly developed these skills. I have no idea how that happened.
I think Casspi has been all the time a bit behind his supposed progression in the NBA mainly as the result of his lack of college ball experience in the US. He grew up in a pro-ball club in Israel (Maccabi Tel Aviv) mainly as a bench player (because he was so young). He did not get the organized education and the playing experience (minutes) like the college players prior to entering the NBA. Therefore, he has had to learn the correct way of playing in flight as well as to get rid of his incorrect habits simultaneously. Therefore he plays more like a third year rookie in his 6th year in the NBA. I thing he can get much better with good coaching and steady minutes.

It doesn't look very nice for Omri now...
First, I don't think it's disciplinary measure for something Omri's done/said or price for lack of effort in training or some unreported injury... Showcasing D-Will can be consideration but it's not the important point here. Generally it's probably what it seems to be on the first look: D-Will had pair of semi-good games, Casspi had pair of bad (actually relatively bad, not auwfull) games, so Malone placed D-Will in rotation over Casspi.
I'm afraid there's problem with Casspi's situation in NBA now as minimal salary player which got reputation of being not-stable and unable to contribute consistently whole season... So when he's playing good it's taken as "overperforming" and when he got to any kind of slamp coaches fill easy with taking his minutes for any suitable reason (showcasing D-Will, developing DMo, testing shooters for upcoming playoffs... anything).
What's really bad - it becames self-fullfiling prophecy, as Omri is kind of player who doesn't require to be star, doesn't need high usage percentage to be effective and will perform role as specified by coach (to be slashing-SF- and energy guy here, strech-4 in Rockets, 3-and-D wing in Cavs) . But he need to feel that his role-playing is properly awarded if succesfull. Now when he'll be called once again to play he can became unsure and will reduce number of moves he's taking on himself (afraid to cause turnover and be on the bench again) or on opposite - will overtry. It will affect his role-playing which will cause him be out of rotation again which will cause him to be even more unsure, etc... - the "spiralling" as Houstone fans state it (while I don't think Omri was that bas as they "remember" even at the end of the season).

I think Caspi is on the bench so the Kings can showcase DWill for a possible trade.

Because Dwill is a large expiring contract and that could help bring in someone like Josh Smith, the Kings need to show the League that Dwill has some game. The December 15 start date to trading players signed in this off season is coming soon and Detroit and the Kings need some changes to help both teams.

Once DWill is traded, Caspi will get the backup minutes again. Dwill playing well in his minutes, helps convince teams that he may be worth a look at in a trade.

It doesn't look very nice for Omri now...
First, I don't think it's disciplinary measure for something Omri done/said or price for lack of effort in training or some unreported injury... Showcasing D-Will can be consideration but it's not the important point here. Generally it's probably what it seems to be on the first look: D-Will had pair of semi-good games, Casspi had pair of bad (actually relatively bad, not auwfull) games, so Malone placed D-Will in rotation over Casspi.
I'm afraid there's problem with Casspi's situation in NBA now as minimal salary player which got reputation of being not-stable and unable to contribute consistently whole season... So when he's playing good it's taken as "overperforming" and when he got to any kind of slamp coaches feel easy with taking his minutes for any suitable reason (showcasing D-Will, developing DMo, testing shooters for upcoming playoffs... anything).
What's really bad - it becames self-fullfiling prophecy, as Omri is kind of player who doesn't require to be star, doesn't need high usage percentage to be effective and will perform role as specified by coach (to be slashing-SF- and energy guy here, strech-4 in Rockets, 3-and-D wing in Cavs) . But he need to feel that his role-playing is properly awarded if succesfull. Now when he'll be called once again to play he can became unsure and will reduce number of moves he's taking on himself (afraid to cause turnover and be on the bench again) or on opposite - will overtry. It will affect his role-playing which will cause him be out of rotation again which will cause him to be even more unsure, etc... - the "spiralling" as Houstone fans state it (while I don't think Omri was that bas as they "remember" even at the end of the season).
I totally disagree.
That is simply paranoid (Here we go again... It happens every year...), and moreover - it's not how the NBA works, as I see it:

Casspi IS (present tense) the 4th/5th best player on the team. This is a statistical "truth", and this league (Kings included) is profoundly statistics-oriented (and that's an understatement).

Casspi currently has the 4th best PIE on the team (behind DMC/Gay/DC), 4th best PER (behind the same fabulous 3), 5th best WORP (behind the 3 & Ben). He IS 4th in win shares (WS) - both total and per minute, 4th in Ast% and AstRat, 5th in REB%, 4th in Ast/TO, 2nd in TS% (True Shooting), 3rd in EFG%... (there's more).
He is clearly one of our 5 best all-around players (in pretty much all aspects, not by cherry-picking stats and measures).

D-Will is not there at the moment. Not even remotely. That hasn't changed in the last 2 games before Omri's benching (they were really solid games for Omri as well, at least per minute)

All that is not MY opinion - that's what the the coaching staff & FO see and know, just like me and you. (We all live by the same stats' God) :)

But the benching last night had another, spitefull aspect: Note that in this particular night Casspi was our tailor-made perscription drug over anyone else off the bench. He's by far the best slasher, D-rebounder, FT shooter, perimeter-defender, ball-mover and energy-guy of the lot. (Consistently. Past week included. No drops in those measures. Believe me).
These things were what we needed desparately last night. And yet he rode the pine all 48 minutes.

On top of all that - he was the only fully rested bench player, hungry for action (like his usual self ;)).

All that being the case, he wasn't even tested, not even used to let D-Will or Landry take a breath (and they were not stellar in performance...), or to save others from foul trouble. He could be subbed for any of 3 positions (2, 3, 4), at least situationally. He wasn't.

Sorry - SUCH benching can NOT be a coaching preference. It can ONLY be either a necessity (injury), a MESSAGE (lesson) or an ORDER (from above).

Last edited:
Unless Williams is knocking down every jumper in practice, and they are just waiting for it to finally carry over to live games, I'm not sure, what exactly they are trying to showcase, if that's indeed the case. Derrick looks like the same player, only with slightly more polish and good hustle, because it's a contract year for him. He surely hasn't upped his value above "a 11th-12th guy attached to MLE-size expiring contract". Derrick will get his vet min or slightly more one-year deal from someone for next season, and will probably bounce for a few more years, unless he suddenly becomes a knockdown shooter or develop killer handles.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Why is Williams suddenly getting more playing time than Omri? Did he magically have more hustle and better defense and basketball IQ?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The idea that with a chance to move back into the 8 spot, in a season judged on wins/losses and when we're just trying to stay afloat until Cuz gets back, that we'd suddenly decide to play DWill in order to showcase him instead of trying to win the games at hand, is asinine.

If we're showcasing worse talent at this point in this season, we've got quite a problem. Likewise, if we're trying to do what's most important in pro sports, which is win at any cost and we've decided DWill gives us a better chance to do that, we've also got a problem.

Of course, none of that explains the "where's Reggie and JT?" issue last night while we were getting killed inside. Or are we showcasing Landry as well?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Where are people getting this idea that Williams is being showcased? anyway...Casspi not playing these couple of games at all has me scratching my head, he can't shoot a lick from the outside and makes some boneheaded plays but you know what your going to get out of him in those short minutes you do give him, Williams...not so much.

It's absolutely been stupid. Omri has been one of the most consistent and top bench guys this season on any team. He's rebounding well, his efficiency is through the roof, and he's even been a solid contributor with playmaking.

I could maybe understand showcasing D-Will when we're at full strength and can mitigate the loss of Omri. But even then, he's been one of our best players this season... there's absolutely no excuse he doesn't get 18-20 MPG

So... your source is a blog, which cites, as its source, another blog. Is that what passes for "numerous reports" these days? And what are the blogger's credentials?

Even the link itself puts it in the 'Rumors' section, for crying out loud!
I'm not the original poster so take up your beef with that guy. I was simply providing a link that you were asking for I never said it was credible. If I'm going to be nit picky like you then I will say this: you didn't provide any info on what kind of report you expected or wanted. Any report on something that hasn't happened is going to be a rumor or a guess. Nothing is certain. Unless it comes straight out of PDA's mouth its a rumor. Let's not get our panties up in a bunch because it's not as credible as you would like.

K

KingMilz

Why is Williams suddenly getting more playing time than Omri? Did he magically have more hustle and better defense and basketball IQ?
Did you miss the quarter he had against the Bulls/Magic/Jazz? Derrick has been playing much harder lately and imo both Casspi and Williams should be playing together. Both are capable of swinging a game in our favor once in every say 4-5 games. No one else other than those two on the bench has any capability of winning you a game in a quarter of basketball.

I rather see Derrick/Casspi playing over Landry at this point. Casspi should be playing after our starting 5 he was the 6th best player on the team until he got benched. Hopefully he does what Reggie Evans did after missing a few games and that's come back like a mad man. This is sort of similar to when Reggie Evans for no reason completely fell out of the rotation as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm not the original poster so take up your beef with that guy. I was simply providing a link that you were asking for I never said it was credible. If I'm going to be nit picky like you then I will say this: you didn't provide any info on what kind of report you expected or wanted.
First of All™, since -as you said- you're not the OP, how do you even know that that's where he heard it from? Second of all, I wouldn't classify that as a "report" of any kind. I'm not going to go as far as some, and say that 'bloggers don't break news', but that might well be made up from whole cloth, for all we know.

I guess I'd like to hear it from someone who, at a bare minimum, has some kind of credibility as an actual journalist.

I totally disagree.
That is simply paranoid (Here we go again... It happens every year...), and moreover - it's not how the NBA works, as I see it:

Casspi IS (present tense) the 4th/5th best player on the team. This is a statistical "truth", and this league (Kings included) is profoundly statistics-oriented (and that's an understatement).

Casspi currently has the 4th best PIE on the team (behind DMC/Gay/DC), 4th best PER (behind the same fabulous 3), 5th best WORP (behind the 3 & Ben). He IS 4th in win shares (WS) - both total and per minute, 4th in Ast% and AstRat, 5th in REB%, 4th in Ast/TO, 2nd in TS% (True Shooting), 3rd in EFG%... (there's more).
He is clearly one of our 5 best all-around players (in pretty much all aspects, not by cherry-picking stats and measures).

D-Will is not there at the moment. Not even remotely. That hasn't changed in the last 2 games before Omri's benching (they were really solid games for Omri as well, at least per minute)

All that is not MY opinion - that's what the the coaching staff & FO see and know, just like me and you. (We all live by the same stats' God) :)

But the benching last night had another, spitefull aspect: Note that in this particular night Casspi was our tailor-made perscription drug over anyone else off the bench. He's by far the best slasher, D-rebounder, FT shooter, perimeter-defender, ball-mover and energy-guy of the lot. (Consistently. Past week included. No drops in those measures. Believe me).
These things were what we needed desparately last night. And yet he rode the pine all 48 minutes.

On top of all that - he was the only fully rested bench player, hungry for action (like his usual self ;)).

All that being the case, he wasn't even tested, not even used to let D-Will or Landry take a breath (and they were not stellar in performance...), or to save others from foul trouble. He could be subbed for any of 3 positions (2, 3, 4), at least situationally. He wasn't.

Sorry - SUCH benching can NOT be a coaching preference. It can ONLY be either a necessity (injury), a MESSAGE (lesson) or an ORDER (from above).
I think we should separate facts from interpretations
Probably we will agree on facts:
First: Omri was one of two (with Landry) most solid consistent and effective bench players in the team.
Second: Omri got DNP-CD in last two games, D-Will played his minutes of back-up SF and some of back-up PF.
Third: Three last games Omri played he was subpar with 6.3 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.7 apg and 2.3 tovpg. In same span D-Will while generally not effective all year (and previous year too), had one actually good game (18 pts, 4 reb in only 14 min) and one somehow good game (14 pts on 6 of 8 shooting but only 1 reb and no defence) .

Now about interpretations
You can say that it's illogical to prefer very short period "success" over clear lead on already ~20 games long season... but I doubt it's just coincedence.

Now, let's look on explanations you've provided.

1.Injury - hmm... it's really the conspiracy theory. Why would they conceal minor injury to 5-7 man in the rotation? Also there're reports from training sessions... none had info about Omri not participating.
2."Lesson"... Even young Omri wasn't causing serious problems for coaches... Do You really think that today's grown up Omri doing or saying something (unknown and invisible to the public) which can make coach to bench him completely for 2 games? I can somehow believe that he complained for not getting more PT after succesfully starting 2 games... but even this is far-reaching and if it happened - it would be crazy overreaction for Malone to place Omri in the "dog house" for that. Also looking into the past: it was clearly not the case in Houston - McHale and Omri relations were very good and those he hugged and talked to before game in Houston were his old friend Garcia and McHale.
3."Order". Actually I'm not even sure Malone was needed some new "order" to put D-Will on the floor. We should remember he was willing to play him over Omri after preseason (and actually have done it in the first game). But I'm much more convinced there was "order" in Houston where GM wanted to develop DMo (maybe it wasn't lost cause after all ... he's playing well right now) but such order is not like "You should play D-Will/DMo instead of Omri". It would be something like "You should play D-Will/DMo" and then somehow coaches are comfortable to take all Omri's minutes and give them to D-Will/DMo. Knowing D-Will's "modus operandi" we can be quite sure that Omri will be back in the rotation quick enough ... but I'm not sure he will be as effective as before benching

Last edited:
Hopefully he does what Reggie Evans did after missing a few games and that's come back like a mad man. This is sort of similar to when Reggie Evans for no reason completely fell out of the rotation as well.
That's a great damn point.

Our media should have been up in Malone's grill, grilling him after that game against Memphis where Reggie got 20 rebounds after playing ZERO MINUTES the previous SEVEN games.

Our "media team" is beginning to REALLY infuriate me.
Does anyone know the structure of how you get back there, asking questions of the coach?
Isn't there some knowledgable blogger tha has access that can actually bring up some valid, serious (not creampuff) questions?
I really doubt if this is like getting White House press credentials difficulty-level, here....

So... your source is a blog, which cites, as its source, another blog. Is that what passes for "numerous reports" these days? And what are the blogger's credentials?

Even the link itself puts it in the 'Rumors' section, for crying out loud!
Actually those "rumors" sometimes quite reliable if it's say twit by Marc Stein. I don't know if this blogger is as reliable as Stein, but even if so and he knows from some sources (and not just guessing as all of us here) that Kings want to trade D-Will and his expiring contract - it would be interesting if it were rumor like "talks about possible trade with team X: D-Will (or D-Will + ...) for players and/or picks or cash " or at least "teams X and Y are looking at D-Will".
Author even doesn't claim to know for sure it's showcasing he just uses common sense and compares with case form previous year... Yep... It's really very long way from this to saying "D-Will will not be here in 2 weeks".

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That's a great damn point.

Our media should have been up in Malone's grill, grilling him after that game against Memphis where Reggie got 20 rebounds after playing ZERO MINUTES the previous SEVEN games.

Our "media team" is beginning to REALLY infuriate me.
Does anyone know the structure of how you get back there, asking questions of the coach?
Isn't there some knowledgable blogger tha has access that can actually bring up some valid, serious (not creampuff) questions?
I really doubt if this is like getting White House press credentials difficulty-level, here....
In order to have access to the players and coaches, you need valid press credentials. To get press credentials, you have to submit a request to the Kings. You must show that you are affiliated with a legitimate media outlet of some kind. Editors generally do this. In recent years they have extended this to certain websites, but I'm not sure of the requirements at this point.

Getting in someone's grill at one of those post-game pressers is a slippery proposition. If you're not one of the established reporters, you're on a tight leash to begin with. If you're perceived to be obnoxious or too in-your-face, you will simply be ignored. And, if part of your job requires you to get that quote from the player or coach, you're going to be up crap creek if you've failed to do so because you're a jerk.

On the other end of the spectrum is Jason Jones, who has yet to ask an insightful question. And that IMHO is where our real problem lies. We have not had a decent Sacramento Bee beat reporter for the Kings for a long time. And since the Bee is the only big game in town, we're stuck with Jason Jones who has no competition to force him into being competent.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually those "rumors" sometimes quite reliable if it's say twit by Marc Stein. I don't know if this blogger is as reliable as Stein, but even if so and he knows from some sources (and not just guessing as all of us here) that Kings want to trade D-Will and his expiring contract - it would be interesting if it were rumor like "talks about possible trade with team X: D-Will (or D-Will + ...) for players and/or picks or cash " or at least "teams X and Y are looking at D-Will".
Author even doesn't claim to know for sure it's showcasing he just uses common sense and compares with case form previous year... Yep... It's really very long way from this to saying "D-Will will not be here in 2 weeks".
Most often, the national guys like Stein get their "tips" from player agents who want to make sure anything about their guy is put forth in the best possible light. And those tips could be anything from done deals to attempts by the agent to influence possible trades, acquisitions, etc. Just because somebody like Marc Stein comes up with something doesn't mean it's always right.

First of All™, since -as you said- you're not the OP, how do you even know that that's where he heard it from? Second of all, I wouldn't classify that as a "report" of any kind. I'm not going to go as far as some, and say that 'bloggers don't break news', but that might well be made up from whole cloth, for all we know.

I guess I'd like to hear it from someone who, at a bare minimum, has some kind of credibility as an actual journalist.
I don't know where he heard it from or where he found his information. That's why in my post I said the word/letter "I". It meant that I had read something related to the topic he was referring to. Like I said I never gave the "source" credibility whatsoever but it was something, the tiniest hint in regards to D-Will. It is just speculation at this point so that is why I don't tend to believe much of anything unless it is confirmed by multiple prominent sources. Right now there is no good source in anything related to D-Will. I gave you the best I could find.

I think the Omri casspi situation is fairly simple.

He's a vet on a min contract. He's not seen as part of the future, or even as yet, a potential part of the future. They may not know about Williams. So they have to play him to find out once and for all.

We know malone preferred (or at least said so) to play Williams over casspi going into the season, and I think going to the media like that was an attempt to show Williams that the coach and front office haven't given up on him.

They're not looking at casspi in the same way. Remember, they traded for Williams. They thought he could succeed.

He's a vet on a min contract. He's not seen as part of the future, or even as yet, a potential part of the future. They may not know about Williams. So they have to play him to find out once and for all.

We know malone preferred (or at least said so) to play Williams over casspi going into the season, and I think going to the media like that was an attempt to show Williams that the coach and front office haven't given up on him.

They're not looking at casspi in the same way. Remember, they traded for Williams. They thought he could succeed.
I don't think they are still high on D-Will, "showcasing" seems to be much more probable.
But sadly I tend to agree about observation on Casspi's status as vet-min player which are generally viewed as easily replaceable. So coaches employ guide-line: if vet-min player performs well - ok, use him, if he's in any kind of slump or problem (even still short and relatively mild) and you have anybode else which seems even a little bit more suitable right now (or "have" to get PT for developing/showcasing) - just replace him.
Certainly israelies (as myself) think that Omri can be much more than it. And many fans liked his game and look at Casspi as important part of the team... but the coach it seems doesn't look at things this way.

Last edited:
Showcasing trade bait at the expense of wins. is it 2010 again?
The end justify the means.

If PDA, who has been well documented to be hot for Josh Smith since the Summer, wants to convince Detroit that they would be getting a potential rotation player in DWill if they pull the trigger on the Josh Smith trade, then YES they would want to showcase DWill.

Look, the Kings are a marginal playoff (probably just miss out on the playoffs and also lose their 2015 first rounder) team with the current roster. If PDA wants the final big splash to get the "missing piece" he envisions in Josh Smith, then you could possibly make a move to "showcase" a player. Remember, Vivek said that PDA thinks 3 or 4 steps ahead of everyone else in his moves.

Then, YES, you may sacrifice and play one player over the other, in hopes that player "X" looks more attractive to team "A", for team "A" to trade player "Y" to you.

I think clearly, that Josh Smith has been on PDA radar for a while, if Detroit is hesitant to pull the trigger, they may tell PDA, look we want to make sure the players we are getting can play. In turn, PDA tells Malone, if you want to add a missing piece in Josh Smith, then we need to let DWill show he can play in the league.

The Detroit game is coming up soon and the deadline to trade a player and then re-trade him before the trade deadline is December 19th, so I think we will know soon if a trade is coming or not. Detroit has lost 13 straight and I think SVG will be looking to shake things up, sooner rather than later.

Vet he may be, but not in age or game tempo.
Note that Casspi was the youngest option on our frontcourt tonight after D-Will...
(and only Ben & Nik were younger on the backcourt)
BTW, if you could measure physical shape and energy - he seems like an eternal kid... :p