What's the hold up with Moreland, Acy and Casspi?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Is the team going to sign them already or drag it longer for no (obvious) reason? Get it done Pete!
Money. We are pinned against the luxury tax. I don't even consider a question at this point that we are trying to hold off on signing the new guys until we are sure we have a deal in place to jettison some of the bad money already on the roster. Which means that sometime in the next week or two we should definitely have a move of some type made.

Isn't the luxury tax only counted at the end of the season? I feel that if the signings are dragged for another week or two we may end up losing a player for another team, and if it turns out to be Moreland I'd be very annoyed. Wouldn't you?

Bricklayer

Isn't the luxury tax only counted at the end of the season? I feel that if the signings are dragged for another week or two we may end up losing a player for another team, and if it turns out to be Moreland I'd be very annoyed. Wouldn't you?
Sure I'd be annoyed to lose him, if he's even ours to lose. But that's what you get when you are careless with your cap. You should be encouraged that they appear to be scheming to keep those cheap guys. Be nothing but good for the Kings to have a pack of competent playable $1mil guys at the end of the roster, feeing up the real money for stars up top. been way way too long that we have been an MLE outlet store full of a dozen mediocrities on league average contracts.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Money. We are pinned against the luxury tax. I don't even consider a question at this point that we are trying to hold off on signing the new guys until we are sure we have a deal in place to jettison some of the bad money already on the roster. Which means that sometime in the next week or two we should definitely have a move of some type made.
I'm in agreement that we must have a move coming up, but I just don't see how the luxury tax is the issue here in holding up the contracts. We can make enough room by stretching Terry to get safely under the tax line if that's what we need to do, and we can make that move anytime up until the end of August. Furthermore there's little question that we can dump off Outlaw at the trade deadline, pay his salary, and clear another $3M. We've got almost $7M worth of Get-Under-The-Luxury-Tax-Free cards to play, so going over by less than $1M shouldn't scare us. The luxury tax isn't a hard cap, and it doesn't matter if we cross it as long as we get back under by the end of the season.

So why not do it now? Well...if we've got a move lined up that would put us over the *apron* with Casspi/Moreland on the roster, then we couldn't do it. So that's what I'm guessing - that we've got a move that's going to add about $3-4M of salary that we're expecting to execute. We make the move while staying under the apron, then stretch Terry to sign Casspi/Moreland. One may ask why not stretch Terry now? Well, we're probably trying as hard as we can to find an alternative - possibly even including him in the hypothetical deal we're putting together. Maybe if we play our cards right we don't need to stretch him and everything works out. But if not, we've got to stay under the apron to execute the deal, then swallow hard and stretch Terry to fill out the roster.

That's the only way it makes sense to me. Otherwise why wait? We can fix the luxury tax stuff at our leisure.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Casspi is all ready signed, is he not? Regarding the other two I'm not quite sure either, Acy can be had for less than 1 million and so can Moreland. I'm assuming they don't want to be borderline over the threshold so they are trying to either trade what they can (good luck) or "stretch" a player.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Casspi is all ready signed, is he not? Regarding the other two I'm not quite sure either, Acy can be had for less than 1 million and so can Moreland. I'm assuming they don't want to be borderline over the threshold so they are trying to either trade what they can (good luck) or "stretch" a player.
As far as I know, there has been no official announcement on Casspi from the front office.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, the luxury tax is calculated at the end of the season.

I'm in agreement that we must have a move coming up, but I just don't see how the luxury tax is the issue here in holding up the contracts. We can make enough room by stretching Terry to get safely under the tax line if that's what we need to do, and we can make that move anytime up until the end of August. Furthermore there's little question that we can dump off Outlaw at the trade deadline, pay his salary, and clear another $3M. We've got almost $7M worth of Get-Under-The-Luxury-Tax-Free cards to play, so going over by less than $1M shouldn't scare us. The luxury tax isn't a hard cap, and it doesn't matter if we cross it as long as we get back under by the end of the season.

So why not do it now? Well...if we've got a move lined up that would put us over the *apron* with Casspi/Moreland on the roster, then we couldn't do it. So that's what I'm guessing - that we've got a move that's going to add about $3-4M of salary that we're expecting to execute. We make the move while staying under the apron, then stretch Terry to sign Casspi/Moreland. One may ask why not stretch Terry now? Well, we're probably trying as hard as we can to find an alternative - possibly even including him in the hypothetical deal we're putting together. Maybe if we play our cards right we don't need to stretch him and everything works out. But if not, we've got to stay under the apron to execute the deal, then swallow hard and stretch Terry to fill out the roster.

That's the only way it makes sense to me. Otherwise why wait? We can fix the luxury tax stuff at our leisure.
Yea for sure. It makes sense as to why Moreland announced his new NBA home 3 days ago, but still hasn't officially posted who he signed with. That would indicate we're close to moving one of our bigger deals (D-will, Terry, Outlaw, JT, Landry) and going to get some salary back, as you said.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Although I could have simply "liked" this I want to add that the fact Acy and Moreland haven't gone elsewhere indicates to me that they are willing to wait.

Moreland should learn from Acy and Casspi about how to handle this situation; both being completely silent until they sign a new contract. Trolling the fans is not a good idea.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why would he fly back to Houston though if the team is looking to sign him? Unless the front office will travel to him once they get things cleared up.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Moreland should learn from Acy and Casspi about how to handle this situation; both being completely silent until they sign a new contract. Trolling the fans is not a good idea.
I didn't really get that vibe from Moreland. I think he's just excited that as an undrafted rookie he's being offered a chance to make an NBA team. Trolling would have been replying to any of the tweets asking him if he signed with the Kings with more mysterious responses. He made exactly one post about deciding on a team and I don't think this latest tweet means anything.

And I also have to think the team is the Kings. If it was anyone else I'd think he'd have signed the contract. But since the Kings are obviously trying to sort things out with Casspi, Acy's option, possibly moving ending contracts or stretching somebody etc then it complicates things. But I think PDA gave him an offer and said it'll be ready to sign in a certain amount of time.

At least I certainly hope that's the case.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why would he fly back to Houston though if the team is looking to sign him? Unless the front office will travel to him once they get things cleared up.
1. He could have flown back a couple of days ago and now be flying back out.
2. He could be flying home to spend a few days with family before officially announcing he's going to sign with the Kings.

There is just no way to glean real facts about his future team by those two tweets, no matter how much we may want to.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Moreland announced he made a decision. Casspi is on the books as wanting to be here, he cleared waivers and we are supposed to have come to terms. We extended Acy's timeline to accommodate these deals.

It's pretty clear the FO is working on all of these guys and we probably get all 3 but they can't make an official announcement until another piece drops.

If they can't land all three it isn't because they were lazy or anything else, but because we are hamstrung by the cap. I do believe in order to sign all three the dominoes need to fall in a certain order, since we are using exceptions on these guys.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Yeah, I agree with you. If they have a move, independent of Casspi and Moreland, that would take them close to the hard cap of 80 mil, then signing Casspi and Moreland before that move would actually prevent the move, since your not allowed to go over the hard cap for any reason. So, as you said, that's the only thing that makes sense. Just going over the luxury tax level in and of itself isn't that big a deal because as you said, they would have plenty of time to get back under it, either by just cutting a player, stretching a player, or trading a player at the deadline. Right now the Kings are only 4.5 mil under the hard cap, and around 976 thousand under the luxury tax level.

Bricklayer

there's no real reason to think we signed Casspi over Moreland. If we had, why wouldn't Moreland have already announced his signing with Memphis, or whoever? His silence vis a vis everybody else would be just as mysterious as it would be vis a vis us.

there's no real reason to think we signed Casspi over Moreland. If we had, why wouldn't Moreland have already announced his signing with Memphis, or whoever? His silence vis a vis everybody else would be just as mysterious as it would be vis a vis us.
looking at the people he has most recently followed on Twitter, its Kings players, kings fans, and nor cal sports accounts......

Pete also mentioned on the Napear show the other day that they were in talks with Morelands agent. That was a day or two before he said he chose his team. I'm inclined to think Moreland is a King