What's happened to WCS?

Once upon a time, the Kings had two power forwards who brought excitement to Arco Arena. They were Wayman Tisdale and Antoine Carr. Both shot at about a 60% clip. Neither one of them averaged more than about 6 boards a game. I just pray that we never again have a 4 or 5 who only grab 6 boards a game (on avg). Don't let me down, Willie!

Willie is around 7 feet or so and has giant hop around 40 inches.
Rebounding is all about desire. You have to out position people and want the ball more than they do. With Willie's physical skills he could average 12 boards a game, and easily get 20 once in awhile.

Dennis Rodman is a flake, but his ability to rebound a basketball has legendary status. Willie needs to watch Rodman film a couple of days a week. He needs to be in rebound drills where the loser has to run laps and do push ups. Willie has to train his mind and develop the desire. He is way too content to glide around the floor watching. We used to call it "wearing a tuxedo."

WCS as a starter this season (14 games)

32.7 MPG
12.5 PPG
7.5 RPG
2.8 APG (this is very surprising and encouraging)
1.1 SPG
0.9 BPG

54% TS
19.2% USG rate
13.4% TRB
13.8% TOV

Remember, this basically the first stretch in his career where he's gotten a consistent 30+ MPG. But the fact is he's putting up a pretty damn good stat line without a real playmaker on the roster. The rebounding isn't great, but 13.4% TRB is something we can live with if WCS picks up the defense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The last three games WCS has been doing a much better job rebounding. It's all about "want to" with WCS. He's just got to give consistent effort and be willing to do the work on a consistent basis. Hopefully, we'll see this effort for the rest of the season and we can see him get 8+ rebounds a game next year.

I think Willie thinks his way through the game. He's not like Cousins who plays on emotion and takes everything as a slight. In that sense, he sees what he needs to contribute and he figures out a way to do it. As things move forward I think we'll continue to see Willie adjust his game to what the team needs him to be. I think this may keep him from being a star but make him indispensable at the same time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I could not disagree more with this angle. It's absolutely a skill / technique.
I would add desire to that list. Also, most of the rebounds that Willie gets are defensive rebounds, which means some of his poor rebounding may be by design to some extent. Willie is one of the first players back in transition defense, and that may be part of how they want him to play. It's difficult to be the first back in transition, and grab offensive rebounds at the same time. Since Joerger won't return my calls, I have no idea if that has any merit at all.

"I’m just going after them now,” Cauley-Stein said. “Before I’d just go after the ones that come to my side, and then I used to let the guards take the rebounds so they could just go. I got tired of people telling me about rebounding and (expletive), so now I just go get rebounds so they can shut the hell up.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article142273399.html#storylink=cpy
Not sure whether I love this or hate this.

The issue is with the way he said things. It looks as if his role was to grab what's available, or at least, he makes it same as though Joerger gave him that role.

If that's the case I am ecstatic. This would mean he may have had the rebounding ability all along, but was limited by the role he was playing.

In other words, he may be unleashing the beast!

Good I like seeing a little fire there.

You think Cousins cared about letting other guys rebound the ball? You grab everything you can get your mitts on as long as you aren't knocking them out of your own teammates hands. I'm just glad to see that he's capable of it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"I’m just going after them now,” Cauley-Stein said. “Before I’d just go after the ones that come to my side, and then I used to let the guards take the rebounds so they could just go. I got tired of people telling me about rebounding and (expletive), so now I just go get rebounds so they can shut the hell up.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article142273399.html#storylink=cpy
OH NO! Bad teammate! Not classy!

Trade HIM NOW!

#CharacterMatters

I love it. Plausible excuse (or explanation if one prefers). I'm glad he took it personal and hopefully he can keep the "complainers" the 'hell shut up.' All on him.

We all knew Willie had the physical tools to go grab rebounds, it was all about the mindset and he appears to be heading in the right direction. Another thing, Willie looked to be in terrible shape at the start of the year muscle and strength wise but he has put in the work and gotten noticeably bigger and stronger. He does not get pushed around as much anymore. We bash on Willie alot but he seems to really want to get better, it might take him longer than most but I see him rounding into a nice solid pro.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

It was always about the will and drive to rebound. I'm glad Joerger and staff got into his ear about this and he is following suite. I also love the fact that he doesn't hold back, he tells you exactly what is on his mind. He is a straight shooter.

I think WCS can develop into a 14 pts, 8 reb, 1.5 blks per game player in the next year or two. And play great defense!

I think that would be great production for him! :)

...it might take him longer than most but I see him rounding into a nice solid pro.
On the contrary, I think Willie's development has been very fast. He's only begun playing FT minutes since the DMC trade. His performance was disappointing from summer league through December, but then he started coming around when Ty started getting him some easy baskets. I could be wrong, but I think that motivated him. Since then I think his progress has been pretty impressive.

On the contrary, I think Willie's development has been very fast. He's only begun playing FT minutes since the DMC trade. His performance was disappointing from summer league through December, but then he started coming around when Ty started getting him some easy baskets. I could be wrong, but I think that motivated him. Since then I think his progress has been pretty impressive.
Yes he has picked it up as of late, his next step is consistency and putting up the numbers/defending vs elite competition. Also by late progression I meant in terms of his age relative to other 2nd year prospects.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I would love to know what the catalyst was to get him hustling. He's just got to keep it up. He will never be the kind of player who can rest on laurels. He's got to bring it every game.

@Kingster
The Jason Jones article Nebs linked is a decent read. Coach and others have made it a point but Ty seems to have really been a catalyst. He would point out Willies defensive rebounds and tell him to get after it.
It also offers a small window into Willies thinking. He seemed to be lax if the rebound was in the area of one of our guards so they could grab it and go. I think the various prodding by the team and those outside it motivated him to just go for all of them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I want him to be nasty when it comes to rebounding. I don't care if he ribs rebounds from his team mates, he is a big man whose role in the team is to rebound and play D. There is no reason with his attributes why he should not be averaging 10 rebounds per game.
He got 16 tonight. :)