what was the last movie you watched?

I watched an advanced screening for "Warrior" last Thursday night.

The story was great, the character development was well done and the fight scenes were very realistic.

I believe this will be one of the top movies of 2011. It was that good and you don't need to be an MMA fan to appreciate this movie.

I thought Source Code was amazing. And only 90 mins long. Rare for good scifi to be so brief. Very well done. I avoided talking about it because of the movie draft, I've watched so many films and just kept my mouth shut lately. But I really, really liked this and the director's other work.
I saw it in theaters and was extremely let down.

I think the problem for me was
that it felt like the same scene over and over again. It just got kind of repetitive. I liked Vantage Point from a few years back, but that was a bit different because it was different points of view. The other issue I had with Source Code (and this might have more to do with my own personal expectations than the actual plot) but I really thought the way they caught the bomber was so anti-climatic. However, in retrospect the movie is MORE about who he is and why he's in the Source Code than the actual "Who's bombing the train?"

I saw it in theaters and was extremely let down.

I think the problem for me was
that it felt like the same scene over and over again. It just got kind of repetitive. I liked Vantage Point from a few years back, but that was a bit different because it was different points of view. The other issue I had with Source Code (and this might have more to do with my own personal expectations than the actual plot) but I really thought the way they caught the bomber was so anti-climatic. However, in retrospect the movie is MORE about who he is and why he's in the Source Code than the actual "Who's bombing the train?"
For this type of movie I'm not sure what you'd expect. Did you like Groundhog Day? In either event what I really liked was the story was short and sweet at roughly 90 minutes so its not like they wasted too much time on the time travel mechanic which gives the viewer a lot to think about after the flick is over. So many people have different interpretations of what's actually going on within the Source Code and how the mechanics of it work that it is a fun movie to discuss afterwards.
Plus there are the moral issues that surround keeping a body alive just to use as a vessel for running the code. Not to mention that if you believe as some that each running of the code opens up a parallel universe what happens to the host?
In this day and age it seems rare that a movie designed to get you thinking carries a small run time but Duncan Jones has now done it twice. Looking forward to whatever he does next.

I have a long list of stuff I've watched the past two months or so while the draft was going on. Need to run through it.

I picked that up along with Hanna Friday. Perhaps forgetting with football and network tv season beginning and Star Wars and Thor out next week that I have less time for movies. I hope I get to one of them!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Saw "Drive" yesterday - I never saw a preview but my dad wanted to check it out so I went with him. I had no idea what the movie was about (other than it was some guy who stunt drives for movies during the day and robberies at night) so I went in with no real expectations.

I think they should have called it "Long Pauses in Conversations" instead. There really is very little actual driving in it for a movie called "Drive" - maybe 3 or so actual scenes where he is doing more than just tootling around town. Most of the movie is dedicated to his relationship with a neighbor and her boyfriend and son.

But the movie was shot in a way that they wanted long pauses and meaningful looks from the protagonist (and only him - the rest of the folks talk normally when he isn't in a scene) - literally everything he says and responses to him take 5+ seconds to come out.

"Do you want a glass of water?"
5+ second pause
"Thanks"
5+ second pause
"You are welcome"

They stretched the movie 20 minutes with these pauses I think. My goodness man, it shouldn't take 20+seconds to accept a glass of water! Get a move on!

The fighting scenes are a bit over-the-top bloody for no apparent reason. Ron Pearlman's character apparently needs to throw in the f-bomb every 3 words according to his contract for no good reason either. Just some strange directing choices that leave you shaking your head.

It was apparently going for an indie/noir feel to it and it accomplishes that, I think. I was disappointed in it overall.

Thor. Surprised how enjoyable it was since the character doesn't interest me much in theory.

X-Men First Class. Very good as well, think it would have been better if it was indeed a total reboot of the franchise but definitely gets the franchise back on track after the last two.

Star Wars blus came in on Saturday but didn't get to look.

Saw "Drive" yesterday - I never saw a preview but my dad wanted to check it out so I went with him. I had no idea what the movie was about (other than it was some guy who stunt drives for movies during the day and robberies at night) so I went in with no real expectations.

I think they should have called it "Long Pauses in Conversations" instead. There really is very little actual driving in it for a movie called "Drive" - maybe 3 or so actual scenes where he is doing more than just tootling around town. Most of the movie is dedicated to his relationship with a neighbor and her boyfriend and son.

But the movie was shot in a way that they wanted long pauses and meaningful looks from the protagonist (and only him - the rest of the folks talk normally when he isn't in a scene) - literally everything he says and responses to him take 5+ seconds to come out.

"Do you want a glass of water?"
5+ second pause
"Thanks"
5+ second pause
"You are welcome"

They stretched the movie 20 minutes with these pauses I think. My goodness man, it shouldn't take 20+seconds to accept a glass of water! Get a move on!

The fighting scenes are a bit over-the-top bloody for no apparent reason. Ron Pearlman's character apparently needs to throw in the f-bomb every 3 words according to his contract for no good reason either. Just some strange directing choices that leave you shaking your head.

It was apparently going for an indie/noir feel to it and it accomplishes that, I think. I was disappointed in it overall.
None of which is terribly surprising if you've seen any of the director's earlier films (Bronson and Valhalla Rising, for instance), but it's definitely not how the movie is being marketed. Overall falls into that strange category of interest for me in which I want to see it because I think Refn is an interesting director, but I'm not expecting much from it because I remain unconvinced he's actually a good director. I'm far from shocked to hear that it may not live up to the insane buzz it's getting, though.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
None of which is terribly surprising if you've seen any of the director's earlier films (Bronson and Valhalla Rising, for instance), but it's definitely not how the movie is being marketed. Overall falls into that strange category of interest for me in which I want to see it because I think Refn is an interesting director, but I'm not expecting much from it because I remain unconvinced he's actually a good director. I'm far from shocked to hear that it may not live up to the insane buzz it's getting, though.
You were one of the few people I thought of that this movie might be geared towards. I would be interested to hear your opinion on it after watching.

Saw Warrior the other day. It's the first movie I've seen in theatres in a while. If it does well in theatres (which it hasn't so far) then Nick Nolte will probably be up for an Oscar. I thought he did an amazing job, although I didn't find the rest of the cast all that great. As for the movie itself, it's a little unbelievable at times. But I couldn't help but get sucked into it after the first half hour or so. Overall its a pretty solid film, and I'd recommend seeing it if you don't have any expectations for it

I have seen
50/50-Good story for a movie that is about a guy who has cancer. they still make it funny,but also make it seem real.
money-ball--good movie even for people who don't really like baseball.
and dolphin tale--it was a cute movie.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Real Steel - Wanted to preview it for my soon-to-be 9 year-old before taking him (went with my dad). It is geared to the younger set, no serious bad language ("a**" and "dam*" get thrown about a couple times, max) and no nudity. A somewhat brief human fistfight or two with some blood. Almost all the "real" action is of the giant robot variety.

The first half is weaker than the second. They go overboard selling the fact that Jackman isn't a good dad or role model. They also go over the top on the kid being smarter than he is in seeing potential, etc.; basically it's shooting for a "younger" audience than (most of?) those of us here. That really could have been toned down and the kids still would have gotten the message. The movie is predictable with stereotypes and outcomes. The fights can be all one-sided and then turn on a dime, Hollywood-style.

But the fighting IS entertaining. It isn't shot in that stupid-fast style that leaves you wondering what just happened. The effects are WELL done. It is kinda like "Rocky" with rock-em sock-em robots. And for a preteen/teen or someone who isn't looking for a "deep" movie, it's fun. Just don't expect too much going in and enjoy the ride. My dad was pleasantly surprised after it was over. I liked it enough that I will be taking the little guy and enjoying the fights all over again.

I just watched Drive a few days ago. I actually think Ryan Gosling is a pretty good actor, and did a good job again. As for the movie, it was a little strange, but I really enjoyed it. Good entertainment.

EDIT: I see it's already being discussed by GGG and Pdx. I agree completely with Pdx regarding the pauses, no need for pauses at almost every opportunity. Think they were trying to get across the calm nature of Gosling's character, but it was overdone. It didn't annoy me so much that it ruined the movie for me, though. And the point about it being marketed as something other than it is is also true. A good thing in my opinion as I have little to no interest in cars and would prefer their use in a movie to be minimal.

Wasn't aware it was getting extreme hype. I'd heard from a friend it was good and brought my girlfriend along to see it. We both enjoyed it but it's hardly a groundbreaking film.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I suppose I should mention this just because I don't think people really know (based on box office results):

Saw Drive Angry last week, And it was a hoot. The trailers were confusing and I don't think anybody knew what it was about when it hit theaters, but what that movie is is 100% another Tarentiono/Rodriguez over the top hilarious grindhouse movie. I actually think it is better at being all those things than anything either of the those two directors has done since the 90s. If Tarentino/Rodriguez stuff is your thing (not normally mine actually), you should definitely give it a look.

Last edited:
I picked that up but have been waiting to watch it in 3D since it was one of the few movies actually shot natively and not some crummy conversion hack job.

I don't have a 3d setup yet though. Sony is releasing a fancy headmounted device in the next month though with screens for each eye so no crosstalk or ghosting. If you can live with the isolation and have 7 or 8 bills to drop it looks like it will be the best 3d experience remotely affordable. I'm keeping my eye on it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I suppose I should mention this just because I don't think people really know (based on box office results):

Saw Drive Angry last week, And it was a hoot. The trailers were confusing and I don't think anybody knew what it was about when it hit theaters, but what that movie is is 100% another Tarentiono/Rodriguez over the top hilarious grindhouse movie. I actually think it is better at being all those things than anything either of the those two directors has done since the 90s. If Tarentino/Rodriguez stuff is your thing (not normally mine actually), you should definitely give it a look.
Cool. I'm a bit a hit or miss with these guys - or is it the other way around. I'll give it a try.

I saw Drive. Good flick but don't watch it if you're not wild about gorey blood scenes. You walk in thinking that you're going to see another fast and furious type movie and walk out thinking you just watched Scarface.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I picked that up along with Hanna Friday. Perhaps forgetting with football and network tv season beginning and Star Wars and Thor out next week that I have less time for movies. I hope I get to one of them!
I finally got a chance to see Hanna. I'm not sure what I was expecting and. after watching it, I'm still not sure what I got out of it.

Watched Drive Angry in 3D last night. Some cool 3D effects in the beginning but as it went on it just kind of stopped being "cool". Movie was stupid fun but I think I'd have rather watched Crank.

My home theater is undergoing some renovations due to a few water leaks and so I picked up the Nerd Vision 5000: Sony 3D Headset The thing is a bit uncomfortable to get set up but once its going you can watch it laying down which is kind of cool and it does feel like you are watching a real big screen and not just crammed in front of the TV if you can get over wearing the thing. I'd still rather watch on my projector but its going to make the next month without a big screen a lot more enjoyable and afterwards will be worth it for 3D or for times when I can't make a lot of noise in the house. Maybe also for Christmas vacation.

Watched Conan (2011) last night. Didn't hate it, which may be blasphemous to the fans of the Arnie films. Doesn't exactly have me waiting with baited breath for a sequel either though. But it was a fun little sword and sorcery flick even if it didn't live up to the giganticness of its name and ultimately ran a little too long. Rose McGowan was barely recognizable and Rachel Nichols was hotter in GI Joe, some of the random nudey girls would have perhaps made a better heroine/love interest since she really can't act. But the fighting was good and surprisingly over the top for a film of this nature. Lots of smashing and blood spurts. Also the 3D sucked. I have a feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot lately as I've got a lot of 3D flicks queued up while my theater is being renovated and I'm watching in Nerd Vision, but I plan on watching all the major 3D flicks over the next few weeks.

Final Destination 5. In 3D. The 3D work here was fantastic and the deaths were some of the best I remember from the series, though it has been a few years since I've seen one and I didn't see the 4th film. The end twist is satisfying even if it probably doesn't fit in and the montage of past films deaths converted to 3D is also pretty cool. But really, if you have access to 3D this is worth it just for the bridge sequence. One of the better 3D applications I have seen for sure, and for this caliber of picture its amazing.

Final Destination 5. In 3D. The 3D work here was fantastic and the deaths were some of the best I remember from the series, though it has been a few years since I've seen one and I didn't see the 4th film. The end twist is satisfying even if it probably doesn't fit in and the montage of past films deaths converted to 3D is also pretty cool. But really, if you have access to 3D this is worth it just for the bridge sequence. One of the better 3D applications I have seen for sure, and for this caliber of picture its amazing.
Agreed. I'm a sucker for the FD franchise, and the death scenes were awesome in this one.