What rules would you change if you could?

Which NBA rules would you change if you could?

• Add rule that any made shot from more than half court is 4 points

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I like the idea in the article about actually enforcing palming.

But here I voted for both eliminating basket interference and eliminating the Hack-A-Shaq. Basket interference is hard to call right in the first place and there certainly don't seem to be any major negatives in the FIBA game related to the lack of the rule. Hack-a-Shaq is a simple case where a loophole in the rules brings about unintended (and unpleasant, for game-watching) consequences. Let's fix that loophole.

Probably the shot clock one out of that list. But if I could add my own rule it would be that players are not disqualified after 6 personal fouls. I want to see the best players out there! That reminds me of talk to add more fouls for overtime, I am surprised that didn't make the list.

Wow just wow - take away the charge call? Let's make it even easier to get into the lane, open the game up even further for perimeter guys.

What I would change?
-Allow way more contact on players, who drive to the basket. Make the paint the domain of big guys once again. Any smaller player challenging the trees inside, should be at an disadvantage.
- Take away most of the rules, that protect jumpshooters - contact after the ball left the hand shouldn't be called and there should be no safe landing spot. In the paint the players are at risk to land on a foot when coming down. Why should that be different, when they shoot jumpshots?

And no I'm not a fan of eliminating the hack-rules. When a team decides to play someone, who is that bad at basketball, that he can't shoot a FT, they deserve to be punished for it.

Id like a change to bailout foul calls when the offensive player, usually a gaurd, jumps into defenders causing the contact...should be a no call...instead the defender has very hard criteria to meet of being exceptionally still and straight
The rule for that play is already there. If you feel that they are still calling these defensive fouls then that's a referee training issue. They aren't supposed to reward offensive players for initiating contact unless the defender is illegal to begin with (like being in the restricted area or not being vertical).

K

KingMilz

Make the intentional fouls that stop fast-breaks (the European type fouls at half court) the same as flagrant/clear path where you get 2 shots and the ball

The rule for that play is already there. If you feel that they are still calling these defensive fouls then that's a referee training issue. They aren't supposed to reward offensive players for initiating contact unless the defender is illegal to begin with (like being in the restricted area or not being vertical).
Sure its not a "rule change" persay, but its not really a refereeing "training" issue as much as how the league has agreed to heavily favor the offensive player consistantly....much like the NFL and offensive vs. defensive pass interference. What i want is more leeway given to defenders to get in front and challenge offensive players attacking the rim so the "mid range" game becomes more valuable. Allowing the defense to play more "defense" closer to the rim i think will bring more balance to the game in a few ways. The current state is drive the rim for high percentage shot or foul at the rim, or kick for the 3pt shot....the mid game is highly unfavored currently. BUT i think if a little more contact is allowed in the form of a challenging player to be "mostly" verticle allowing for a little movement would lower both the percentage makes and of a foul call....also, perimeter defenders would be able to not have to help in paint as much and be able to cover their man at the 3pt line better, takjng away some of the frequency of wide open corner 3s, thus making the mid game more relevant to balance things out more.

Also, another reason id like to see just a little more leeway given to defenders is to allow the higher skilled players to differentiate themselve more from lesser skilled players whose lower skill level gets hidden by the handicaped defense. It could make specialty players more useful, such as a rondo or the shot blockers

Last edited: