What Realistically can be done to improve?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Maybe some people should just give up and follow some other team.
I can see why someone who joined in 2012, largely due to IT being here would say that.

But any hardcore Kings fan who's been through the ups and down for years would simply laugh in your face for suggesting such a thing. Being a fan of a team has little to do with the win/loss record or whether the roster is balanced. The connection runs much deeper. Player fans however are different, as your post suggests. They come and go with the player.

Players and coaches, even FO personnel have no bearing on whether a team is yours or not, whether you're a fan or not. Most fans are here before players arrive and well after they're gone. Players and coaches cycle through, fans don't. They just at one time or another work for or play for our team. And when we're back in the playoffs, which we will be at some point, the struggles will just make that period all the more sweeter. NBA, aside from a market like LA is based on cycles. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down, but a real fan stays for the ride.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I can see why someone who joined in 2012, largely due to IT being here would say that.

But any hardcore Kings fan who's been through the ups and down for years would simply laugh in your face for suggesting such a thing. Being a fan of a team has little to do with the win/loss record or whether the roster is balanced. The connection runs much deeper. Player fans however are different, as your post suggests. They come and go with the player.

Players and coaches, even FO personnel have no bearing on whether a team is yours or not, whether you're a fan or not. Most fans are here before players arrive and well after they're gone. Players and coaches cycle through, fans don't. They just at one time or another work for or play for our team. And when we're back in the playoffs, which we will be at some point, the struggles will just make that period all the more sweeter. NBA, aside from a market like LA is based on cycles. Sometimes you're up, sometimes you're down, but a real fan stays for the ride.
I'm not sure, but I think he was trying to make a joke. If so, he needs to put a little funny face there.

Stay patient and hope upper management sticks to its defensive philosophy changes by getting some players that can play it and not try to turn them into something they are not. Also hope to god we get a top 3 pick because you can't go wrong with Wiggins, Parker or Randle.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
O

For me, not an option. Last night the crowd and I had a good time. There was plenty of appreciation there. On here, I don't know. You be your own judge.
For the vast majority of fans here, there's appreciation...there's also gallows humor and skepticism. But beneath it all there is a love of the Kings. We've lost some of our old-time members but there are still a lot of us here who have been here through thick and thin because we honestly couldn't find ourselves anywhere else. The Kings are in our blood. We may fight and bicker but we love our Kings.

I think there's a lot of appreciation here, it's just tempered by years of disappointment and heartbreak.

The forum tends to be a place where people are cynical and pessimistic. There is a lot of rationalizing when something good happens. It is becoming tiresome.
I don't need anyone telling me when and why I became a Kings fan. It is not even logical to care about this team, but I do. The coach has a lot to do with it.

The forum tends to be a place where people are cynical and pessimistic. There is a lot of rationalizing when something good happens. It is becoming tiresome.
I don't need anyone telling me when and why I became a Kings fan. It is not even logical to care about this team, but I do. The coach has a lot to do with it.
Can you blame them? Only the TWolves have been out of the playoffs longer than we have, and they are a much better team right now than we are. I don't think people are being cynical so much as being realistic. I challenge you to find a single fan here that believes there is absolutely nothing positive about our team right now. There's a difference between thinking there's no hope and actually taking the blinders off to see how the Kings fare relative to all the other NBA teams.

We're in the hole as far a contracts go but that won't last more than a season or two but Cuz, IT, M16 and Williams all can be pieces to build around going forward. And at least we're not Brooklyn or NY!

Vasquez and Landry TBD

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We're in the hole as far a contracts go but that won't last more than a season or two but Cuz, IT, M16 and Williams all can be pieces to build around going forward. And at least we're not Brooklyn or NY!

Vasquez and Landry TBD
You make a good point. The Knicks, the Nets, and a few other teams are living in a surreal world. They've spent tons of money on what they believe to be star power. Many of us thought that the Garnett, Pierce, Allen trio was too old when Boston put them together, and now the Nets are trying two of them one more time, years later. In many cases, no thought was given to how those pieces all fit together. Its one thing to experiment with young players making around 3 mil or less, with only a year or so left on their contract, and quite another to experiment with players making around 15 million.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The worse thing you can be in this league is a team that's maxed out cap wise, and just good enough to make the playoffs. At that point your stuck in limbo land. Your always drafting at the bottom of the pool, and you never have enough cap room to sign a significant freeagent. Yeah, you might get lucky and find a star in the draft that everyone else missed on, but I don't think that should be a part of your plan. Right now, I think the Kings are going about this the right way. Their being patient, but willing to take a gamble on low risk deals like Williams. I believe they have their eye on 2016 when the new arena opens. They have two 1st round draft picks, and one offseason of significant capspace between then and now. Throw in a couple of intelligent trades, and they could be competitive by then. I might add, that to be competitive and young, is entirely different than being competitive and old. There's an expiration date on one.

A little luck would help as well, and the Kings are due for some. Now some could say that I'm being overly optimistic, and looking at the team through rose colored glasses. I disagree! I think I'm being realistic as to the possibilities. Now all things possible don't always come to pass. It will come down to making the right choices. Regardless of whether your looking at your goals in the athletic arena, or the blue collar/white collar arena, you never look backward, or qualify your goals by listing all the things that could go wrong. They're accepted as part of the journey. You know when you climb a mountain, your going to come out with cuts and bruises. But if that's all you dwell on, you'll never take that first step. If you ever become the boxer that's taken too many punches (Petrie), then its time to hang up the gloves. Current losing aside, the Kings are sitting in a pretty good spot. I can't predict what they'll do, but the opportunities are there, and believe me, there are teams out there have taken several wrong turns in their rebuild, and their opportunities are now very limited. So to echo you sentiment, I'd rather be the Kings right now, than the Knicks or the Nets.

Stay patient and hope upper management sticks to its defensive philosophy changes by getting some players that can play it and not try to turn them into something they are not. Also hope to god we get a top 3 pick because you can't go wrong with Wiggins, Parker or Randle.
You can add in exum, smart, and embiid before randle so a top 6 pick is vital. All of the top prospects outside of randle are 2 way players and hood character so this draft is huge for us

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not everyone is cynical and pessimistic. You see what you choose to see, and you present the persona you want to present. You tend to talk down to people, to give the impression you don't like any of us here and merely put up with us for some unknown reason. And you know what? That gets tiresome after a while, too.

Not everyone is cynical and pessimistic. You see what you choose to see, and you present the persona you want to present. You tend to talk down to people, to give the impression you don't like any of us here and merely put up with us for some unknown reason. And you know what? That gets tiresome after a while, too.
I, for one, am cynical and pessimistic.

Don't believe her! We are out there. :)