What position on the Kings roster is most weak?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
LPKingsFan said:
KG not spectacular in the playoffs? Were you sleeping last year????
:eek:
Here's KG's stats over the past three years in the playoffs:

01-02 24.0pts 18.7rebs 5.0ast (.429 shooting)
02-03 27.0pts 15.7rebs 5.2ast (.514 shooting)
03-04 24.3pts 14.6rebs 5.1ast (.452 shooting)

career numbers 22.3pts 13.4rebs 5.0rebs (.458 shooting)

I think there has always been a question of whether KG has a goto move etc. But he answered a lot of that in Game 7 last year, and I will take the above playoff numbers ANY day. Let Bibby take the big shots if that's really an issue.

Bricklayer said:
Here's KG's stats over the past three years in the playoffs:

01-02 24.0pts 18.7rebs 5.0ast (.429 shooting)
02-03 27.0pts 15.7rebs 5.2ast (.514 shooting)
03-04 24.3pts 14.6rebs 5.1ast (.452 shooting)

career numbers 22.3pts 13.4rebs 5.0rebs (.458 shooting)

I think there has always been a question of whether KG has a goto move etc. But he answered a lot of that in Game 7 last year, and I will take the above playoff numbers ANY day. Let Bibby take the big shots if that's really an issue.
Just out of interest, right now, this very moment with Kings down two against Sonics who do you take:
- KG
- Pre-injuru Webb, guaranteed no injury for the rest of the PO's.

And you can discount Webb's experience and suitability for Princeton. Assume that both would have been here for the whole season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Long-term? I'd probably pick Garnett; he's the "practical" pick. But, for purely sentimental reasons, I'd rather have Webber; I'd like to see a healthy Webber and this team with one more shot.

bozzwell said:
Just out of interest, right now, this very moment with Kings down two against Sonics who do you take:
- KG
- Pre-injuru Webb, guaranteed no injury for the rest of the PO's.

And you can discount Webb's experience and suitability for Princeton. Assume that both would have been here for the whole season.
Garnett with a year's experience on the Kings edges Webber.

Sweet, KG is a stat stuffer. They still exited the first round about 7 years in a row, got to the WCF, and didn't make the playoffs this year. The guy is EXTREMELY talented, I just don't think his bite is as mean as his bark. I would not mortgage the future on him with the contract that he has. That said, if we get him I will instantly become a huge hypocrite, because I am silly that way.

To answer that other question, I take Webber in a heartbeat. Look, if KG was a "tough" or "intense" guy who cared so much about winning, why is he still the same size as when he entered the league? Why does he still not have a go-to post move? He weighs the same amount as Kobe. Are you kidding me? He has no strength through his shoulders and arms, which is highly important in basketball. You don't need a massive chest, but you better be strong in the shoulders. Webber, on the other hand, was 245-250, and could battle in the post. He didn't always choose to, but when we needed it he was banging inside. He guarded Shaq for a significant amount of the WCF, and the whole offense was going through him.

Venom said:
Sweet, KG is a stat stuffer. They still exited the first round about 7 years in a row, got to the WCF, and didn't make the playoffs this year. The guy is EXTREMELY talented, I just don't think his bite is as mean as his bark. I would not mortgage the future on him with the contract that he has. That said, if we get him I will instantly become a huge hypocrite, because I am silly that way.

To answer that other question, I take Webber in a heartbeat. Look, if KG was a "tough" or "intense" guy who cared so much about winning, why is he still the same size as when he entered the league? Why does he still not have a go-to post move? He weighs the same amount as Kobe. Are you kidding me? He has no strength through his shoulders and arms, which is highly important in basketball. You don't need a massive chest, but you better be strong in the shoulders. Webber, on the other hand, was 245-250, and could battle in the post. He didn't always choose to, but when we needed it he was banging inside. He guarded Shaq for a significant amount of the WCF, and the whole offense was going through him.
Let me get this straight...you're saying you'll take Webber, and you're calling KG the statstuffer? :confused:

He doesn't have a lot of muscle and weight because he's not Shaq and that's not his game. Being quick and light is part of his talent, allowing him to be versatile and take outside shots as well as dominating in the paint. Sure, he's not AS dominant as Shaq in the paint, but he does a hell of a lot of things that Shaq can't do- like, say, hitting a shot from more than 5 feet away. Different game, different body type.

captain bill said:
He doesn't have a lot of muscle and weight because he's not Shaq and that's not his game. Being quick and light is part of his talent, allowing him to be versatile and take outside shots as well as dominating in the paint. Sure, he's not AS dominant as Shaq in the paint, but he does a hell of a lot of things that Shaq can't do- like, say, hitting a shot from more than 5 feet away. Different game, different body type.

My point is, he doesn't do everything it takes to make him a better player. Ever since he came in the league he has had a phobia of the paint, and done everything possible to avoid it, even listing himself as 6'12" at one point rather than 7'0". MJ came in as a rail thin kid, but as he got older he refined his game, added muscle, and got to the point where he was an automatic two points if caught the ball on the block. That's a 6'6" OG. It's funny you compare him to Shaq, because Shaq has actually refined his game throughout the years. In Orlando he was pretty skinny, but quick and athletic. When he came to LA they wanted him to hit the weights, so he did. Upon arriving in Miami, Pat Riley asked him to lose 20-30 pounds to improve mobility and endurance, so he did. KG does not want to do everything it takes in this league to be a winner. There are a lot of guys like KG, but none of them have the hyper-inflated reputation as an ultra-competitor. The only guy that comes close is AI, and he's tough, but I've soured on him as well since it is now obvious he will never co-exist with other superstar players.

PixelPusher said:
Let me get this straight...you're saying you'll take Webber, and you're calling KG the statstuffer? :confused:
Because that is all he does. He brings no real intangibles to the game.

Leadership: well, he yells alot, but that doesn't make him a leader

Clutch shooting: not too much of that on his resume

Making teammates better: a little bit sure, but no where near the way Webber does

I just not enamored with the guy. I know a lot of people are, but I'm sorry, I'm not sold on the hype.

slugking50 said:
Id only take Webb if we could go back in time by 3 years. The Webb of today just can't cut it unfotunately.
Yep, that was my question. Webb of 3 years ago was couple of seconds away from NBA finals and an injury stopped him from leading his team for another charge a yaer later. KG? Better player then Webber, more durable, in many ways spectacular, but there is something missing there. Sometimes, less is more.