What happens in Vegas...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am not now nor will I ever be a Raiders fan, but I feel for all of them today. Thank God for Kevin Johnson, Mike Tavares and Crown Downtown, Carmichael Dave and all the others who fought so hard to keep our Kings here.

It's a sad day in sports.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This sucks for the fans, but it's probably a good thing for the city of Oakland. They're still paying 10 million a year for the last Raiders "loan" which ended up just being a handout. They were the LA Raiders when I grew up so I never developed any kind of attachment to them. As an outside observer, that franchise was a constant drain on the city and they just kept asking for more and more. As an Oakland (A's) fan I'm thrilled to be rid of them. But again, none of that matters if this is your team. And that's why this is a sad sad day for all the Oakland Raiders die-hards. Losing your team sucks and a lot of these fans lost their team twice.

Oakland Raiders and A's fan here.....Honestly, the City of Oakland is a joke and needs to get their crap together. I'm honestly not really that bent out of shape over this move. I'll still be a Raiders fan. I would never go to a game in Oakland anyway. Last time I went I almost had an empty bottle of beer hit me in the back of the head as we were walking to the car. It's a completely lawless environment there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/03/27/will-oakland-kick-the-raiders-out-of-the-coliseum/
OAKLAND — Minutes after NFL owners approved the Raiders move to Las Vegas, Councilman Larry Reid, angered by the decision, said he wants the team out of Coliseum as early as next season.

Reid is consulting with city attorneys to see if there is a legal way to kick the Raiders out of the facility, forcing them to play the next two seasons elsewhere. The current lease gives the team the option of playing the 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons in Oakland.

San Diego has NFL stadium available for temporary occupancy. 28,000 seat UNLV stadium could be option although reportedly needs a few NFL upgrades to make it acceptable to the league. Raiders probably don't care what Oakland politicians do at this point.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Oakland Raiders and A's fan here.....Honestly, the City of Oakland is a joke and needs to get their poopoo together. I'm honestly not really that bent out of shape over this move. I'll still be a Raiders fan. I would never go to a game in Oakland anyway. Last time I went I almost had an empty bottle of beer hit me in the back of the head as we were walking to the car. It's a completely lawless environment there.
That might just be the Raiders fanbase. I've heard very similar stories from people in LA attending Raiders games when they played here at the LA Coliseum. Something about that team attracts a criminal element to games. It's not everyone by any means, but it only takes a few to ruin the experience for everyone else. Oakland A's games are a totally different experience. The Oakland Coliseum is a dump but the diehard A's fans find a way to make it fun anyway. I've had more fun at A's home games than any other sporting event I've been to. They even had Terry Kiser from Weekend at Bernie's throw out the first pitch a few years ago! I don't always love what management does to the roster (to put it lightly!) but that is a fanbase that knows how to have fun and never takes itself too seriously.

I knew the city was never going to be able to keep both teams. The A's are about to begin their 50th consecutive season in Oakland. They've won 4 championships there. New team management wants to stay in Oakland and they're working with the city to make that happen. I hope they can get their crap together enough to get one stadium built. With the Raiders and Warriors already leaving you'd think they would be motivated to keep one of their sports teams.