Wesley Johnson?

Wesley Johnson has struggled in Minnesota. His stock and value has probably fallen off a bit, but I think he can be a good deal in the right spot. He doesn't exactly fit with what the twolves right now and they are probably playing him out of position at the 2. He is potentially a very athletic 3 with the ability to be good defensively and a good rebounder. He also doesn't look to dribble the ball much, which is good for a team of ball stoppers and good for Wesley because he doesn't have good handles.

If Minny would take it, I'd offer Garcia for Johnson in an instant. Francisco is familiar with Adelman and is much more of a shooting guard than Johnson is.

L

LWP777

Why would they do that? Garcia is more expensive with way less upside and not to mention he's an extremely average NBA player. I think we'd have to offer more than that.

Wesley Johnson has struggled in Minnesota. His stock and value has probably fallen off a bit, but I think he can be a good deal in the right spot. He doesn't exactly fit with what the twolves right now and they are probably playing him out of position at the 2. He is potentially a very athletic 3 with the ability to be good defensively and a good rebounder. He also doesn't look to dribble the ball much, which is good for a team of ball stoppers and good for Wesley because he doesn't have good handles.

If Minny would take it, I'd offer Garcia for Johnson in an instant. Francisco is familiar with Adelman and is much more of a shooting guard than Johnson is.
If Minny is indeed being run by idiots, this may be doable. I could just imagine how big a mistake it will be exchanging a top 5 player on the draft who has plenty of upside with somebody as expensive as Francisco who is best used as locker room stabilizer, roster filler, and bench warmer.

Now if Love won't sign by the deadline you can bet he will be traded same with D howard. Not that we have the peices to acquire them but just giving my opinion.

Love is a tremendous player, but isn't really a fit for the kings right now. We have enough offense at the 4/5 position in Cousins. What we need is interior defense, such as a Chandler, Sammy D, etc.
Love's rebounding would certainly address a need, but we wouldn't have the (expendable) pieces to acquire him.

Lmao this is as good as other teams offering their scribe for demarcus

scribe = scrubs. damn cell phone auto correction fail

Last edited:
What about Dorell Wright? I have no clue what GS would want for him, but he's really struggling this season. Maybe Marc Jackson's offense isnt working out for him? The Kings could use a sf 3 pt threat, and according to ESPN he's on a reasonable contract. I dont know how good his defense is, but if he could play at the level he was at last season, he'd definitely be an asset. Can we trade Outlaw or are we not permitted to do that? i would probably trade any of our sf's for this guy based on potential alone. Maybe they see something in Donte Greene? Highly unlikely, but you never know!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Minny is indeed being run by idiots, this may be doable. I could just imagine how big a mistake it will be exchanging a top 5 player on the draft who has plenty of upside with somebody as expensive as Francisco who is best used as locker room stabilizer, roster filler, and bench warmer.
Well people on both sides of this one may be understating just how big of a bust Wes Johnson appears to be so far. Big enough that there is no guarantee at all he's any sort of answer. But also big enough it might take less than you think to get him. That said, for salary as well as PR reasons (Johsnon and Flynn draft washouts in back to back years whiel we got Reke and Cousins) its hard to believe them giving him up for Cisco. And frankly Cisco may still have a role here in Sacto as lockerroom leader.

What we really need here now are some quality vets. We've got our 3 young studs, now we need to fill in with dependable sorts if we can. Doesn't mean I would thumb my nose at a young stud if one came our way. But Wes Johnson hasn't even been as impressive as Omri so far, and Omri was the guy we were trying to replace/upgrade from with Salmons.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

What about Dorell Wright? I have no clue what GS would want for him, but he's really struggling this season. Maybe Marc Jackson's offense isnt working out for him? The Kings could use a sf 3 pt threat, and according to ESPN he's on a reasonable contract. I dont know how good his defense is, but if he could play at the level he was at last season, he'd definitely be an asset. Can we trade Outlaw or are we not permitted to do that? i would probably trade any of our sf's for this guy based on potential alone. Maybe they see something in Donte Greene? Highly unlikely, but you never know!
Wright used to be able to defend in Miami, and Smart certainly got the most out of him last year, so that would be a thought. On the flipside last year was the only year he ever did anythign, and now he's right back into scrubhood, so you would have to be careful giving too much up for him. And you just couldn't have 6 SFs on the roster, so somebody would have to go.

BTW then the aping of Smart's G.S. structure form last year would be near complete.

G Reke/Thornton = Ellis/Curry
SF Wright = Wright
PF rotating search = rotating search
C Cousins = Lee

Except our guys are bigger and with more potential at almost every position.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
The next sf we bring in has to be an upgrade over what we have. Has to.

With that in mind, and the cap space we'll have, and the fact we still haven't used our amnesty, AK remains my #1 target. We can still offer him a considerable amount next summer, which is only 7 months away. And if we somehow, someway got Sloan, I'd have to think our chances of getting AK goes up. I can dream, can't I?

You know who is playing surprisingly well, and we were mentioned in a possible trade acquisition of? RJ. He's averaging just over 14 ppg, on 51% shooting, and 58% from 3. His ability to catch and shoot, and better matchup with opposing sf's would be welcomed here over Salmons.

Someone who I've always liked is Batum, and given he won't be starting anytime soon in Por, given GWal, I'd have to wonder if Por might be willing to trade him. He'll be a RFA after the season, so if we were somehow able to trade for him, we'd be able to match any offer this summer. I do think he's better than stats show, and still has upside as he just turned 23. Think he'd fit with our guys as well. Definitely more than Salmons. If we had another big on this roster, say Fesenko, I'd consider offering JT for him. But given our lack of depth down low, I'm not sure how'd we go about tradig for him.

Still though, not sure Batum is the upgrade we need. AK would still be my #1 target. But really there aren't many sf options around the league, nor will there be this summer. So it's an idea, and I think Batum is a more moveable piece from Por perspective than most sf's in this league who'd we be interested in.

i read recently that there is mutual interest between Batum and the Blazers, theyre working on a contract extension for him, i believe. I think nearly everyone on the forum wants AK, but there are also a lot of other teams that are going to make a run for him next season. Rj is playing quite well, unfortunately because of the Spurs solid overall record, im not sure how willing they would be to part with him.

Since it's fun to speculate, i'll throw another name out there. What about Trevor Ariza? He's not the long term answer, but he's young and he may be an upgrade over whatever we currently have. I wonder what it would take to pull off a trade for Ariza and Okafor while getting rid of 1 or 2 of our sf's in the process. Unfortunately we dont really have too many trade chips at the moment. We'd definitely have to give up one of our bigs in the process, and i'm actually pretty happy with all of our bigs right now as complimentary pieces. Then again, ariza may just be a younger Salmons in the sense that he's good defensively but thinks a little too highly of himself on the offensive end.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Since it's fun to speculate, i'll throw another name out there. What about Trevor Ariza? He's not the long term answer, but he's young and he may be an upgrade over whatever we currently have. I wonder what it would take to pull off a trade for Ariza and Okafor while getting rid of 1 or 2 of our sf's in the process. Unfortunately we dont really have too many trade chips at the moment. We'd definitely have to give up one of our bigs in the process, and i'm actually pretty happy with all of our bigs right now as complimentary pieces. Then again, ariza may just be a younger Salmons in the sense that he's good defensively but thinks a little too highly of himself on the offensive end.
I'll take a step back and remove Okafor from the equation for now. Ariza is at least somebody interesting to think about. New Orleans has stocked up with two young second-year SFs in Al-Farouq Aminu and Xavier Henry, and barring a playoff run I imagine they would want to give those guys some serious playing time to figure out what they have and whether either is their SF of the future. Ariza kind of stands in the way of that. Garcia makes about $1M per year less than Ariza, otherwise the contracts are the same length and have the same team option in '13-'14. New Orleans might be willing to add a great-attitude vet who is willing to ride the bench but can contribute adequately if needed (and save a couple of million) while opening up time for their kids at the 3.

We'd have Ariza and Salmons getting most of the minutes at the 3, while Outlaw and Greene might push a bit further back in the rotation, maybe play some stretch-4 when the opponent goes small. Garcia's small minutes at the 2 would probably go to Salmons (but effectively that would mean they would go towards Ariza's minutes at the 3) and a few minutes of Salmons/Ariza at the wings when we need some stops might be a nice defensive combo.

I'm not 100% sold on Ariza's defense (this year he's about 6 points in the good, but last year he was about 2 points in the bad, per 100 possessions), but I think as GM I'd have a hard time passing that deal up if NO were willing to do it. I do think it would make us somewhat better, and the extra money is pretty immaterial.

Bricklayer

I'll take a step back and remove Okafor from the equation for now. Ariza is at least somebody interesting to think about. New Orleans has stocked up with two young second-year SFs in Al-Farouq Aminu and Xavier Henry, and barring a playoff run I imagine they would want to give those guys some serious playing time to figure out what they have and whether either is their SF of the future. Ariza kind of stands in the way of that. Garcia makes about $1M per year less than Ariza, otherwise the contracts are the same length and have the same team option in '13-'14. New Orleans might be willing to add a great-attitude vet who is willing to ride the bench but can contribute adequately if needed (and save a couple of million) while opening up time for their kids at the 3.

We'd have Ariza and Salmons getting most of the minutes at the 3, while Outlaw and Greene might push a bit further back in the rotation, maybe play some stretch-4 when the opponent goes small. Garcia's small minutes at the 2 would probably go to Salmons (but effectively that would mean they would go towards Ariza's minutes at the 3) and a few minutes of Salmons/Ariza at the wings when we need some stops might be a nice defensive combo.

I'm not 100% sold on Ariza's defense (this year he's about 6 points in the good, but last year he was about 2 points in the bad, per 100 possessions), but I think as GM I'd have a hard time passing that deal up if NO were willing to do it. I do think it would make us somewhat better, and the extra money is pretty immaterial.
I'm not sure a guy who is shooting challenged is really what's called for here.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Why not Greene (also an underachiever) and possibly somebody else? I like the thought. If Minni is impatient, now is the time to strike.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well people on both sides of this one may be understating just how big of a bust Wes Johnson appears to be so far. Big enough that there is no guarantee at all he's any sort of answer. But also big enough it might take less than you think to get him. That said, for salary as well as PR reasons (Johsnon and Flynn draft washouts in back to back years whiel we got Reke and Cousins) its hard to believe them giving him up for Cisco. And frankly Cisco may still have a role here in Sacto as lockerroom leader.

What we really need here now are some quality vets. We've got our 3 young studs, now we need to fill in with dependable sorts if we can. Doesn't mean I would thumb my nose at a young stud if one came our way. But Wes Johnson hasn't even been as impressive as Omri so far, and Omri was the guy we were trying to replace/upgrade from with Salmons.
I still think Johnson has talent and a fresh start might be just what he needs. I've always felt that he's a SF and not a SG. His handles are OK at the SF position, but not good enough for the SG position. The question is, just how much of a bust does Minny think he is. We have the space to absorb his salary if we could find something cheap to throw into the deal. Not sure I want to give up a veteran to get him.

There's a difference between being a bust and being in a slump. Wesley Johnson is in a slump, due to him playing out of position and no offense run thru him (unlike college). I'd trade any, no, all of our SFs + Hickson for him. The Wolves are looking for a SG or a C, so it's doubtful the sides can reach a trade for the young SF. But make no mistake about it, WJ is going to be a nice player; it's a matter of when not if.

Bricklayer

There's a difference between being a bust and being in a slump. Wesley Johnson is in a slump, due to him playing out of position and no offense run thru him (unlike college). I'd trade any, no, all of our SFs + Hickson for him. The Wolves are looking for a SG or a C, so it's doubtful the sides can reach a trade for the young SF. But make no mistake about it, WJ is going to be a nice player; it's a matter of when not if.
This slump has gone on since the moment he was drafted.

This slump has gone on since the moment he was drafted.

Hardly. He shot 35.6% from threes last year. Tell me which one of our awesome SFs can do that? He played good defense and willingly moved the ball, again which which one of our SFs can do THAT.

He also exploded for 29 pts against the Lakers, hit 6 treys against the Hornets, and plays well from time to time. Like most rookies, he was inconsistent.

I don't understand people who dismissed guys like Wesley Johnson, who has more talent in his left shoe than the whole body of Hasheem Thabeet.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Hardly. He shot 35.6% from threes last year. Tell me which one of our awesome SFs can do that? He played good defense and willingly moved the ball, again which which one of our SFs can do THAT.
Salmons' career is 3PT% 36.7%. Outlaw shot 37.7% or better three consecutive years his last three years in Portland. Greene shot 37.7% in his second year.

Johnson's career assists/36 is 2.5. Salmons is at 3.4.

Johnson's defense, which you seem to like, resulted in a negative defensive +/- last year at -1.4. This year it's a stellar -18.3.

He's not really making much of a case as being better than our SFs.

Salmons' career is 3PT% 36.7%. Outlaw shot 37.7% or better three consecutive years his last three years in Portland. Greene shot 37.7% in his second year.

Johnson's career assists/36 is 2.5. Salmons is at 3.4.

Johnson's defense, which you seem to like, resulted in a negative defensive +/- last year at -1.4. This year it's a stellar -18.3.

He's not really making much of a case as being better than our SFs.
Salmons might have been better in his prime than WJ as a rookie, but Salmon is entering father's time while WJ is still scratching the surface. Our starting SF is shooting 27% from three this year.

You're really going to bring Greene into this? He has one abnormal sophomore season and then never to crack over 29% from beyond the arc before or after.

Outlaw is not a true SF. He played backup PF in Portland and exceled at it. He plays SF in NJ and sucked big time. Outlaw shot 30% from three last year guarded by other SFs and 13% this year so far.

I'm not saying WJ is an all star but he is at least a true SF who can be a role player. Our guys are either not true SF or not good enough to be in the rotation.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Salmons might have been better in his prime than WJ as a rookie, but Salmon is entering father's time while WJ is still scratching the surface. Our starting SF is shooting 27% from three this year.

You're really going to bring Greene into this? He has one abnormal sophomore season and then never to crack over 29% from beyond the arc before or after.

Outlaw is not a true SF. He played backup PF in Portland and exceled at it. He plays SF in NJ and sucked big time. Outlaw shot 30% from three last year guarded by other SFs and 13% this year so far.
You asked who on our team was capable of putting up Wesley Johnson-type numbers. I answered.

Why not go with Houston again.... Theoretically this will solve our need for a PG and a SF (Young pieces though sacrificing thornton) don't get me wrong I like thornton's scoring and clutch plays. but when both him and evans are off our offense staggers we need a point who will be able to distribute. one thing that bothers me with thornton is he also has a tendency to be a blackhole and we can't spend the rest of the night trying to get him going at the expense of the team. while jimmer isnt ready we start flynn who did a good job in his rookie year, hobbled by injuries but still a point none the less. J. Hill is also a much bigger body on the block compared to hickson, providing a longer player for D. and a scrapper like parsons, cause God knows we most can't stand salmons

we go trade - Hickson and Thornton for J. Hill, Flynn, Parsons and 2ndrounder

flynn/jimmer/IT
Reke/Cisco
Parsons/salmons/Greene/outlaw
J.Hill/JT/Hayes/
Cousins/Whiteside

Why not go with Houston again.... Theoretically this will solve our need for a PG and a SF (Young pieces though sacrificing thornton) don't get me wrong I like thornton's scoring and clutch plays. but when both him and evans are off our offense staggers we need a point who will be able to distribute. one thing that bothers me with thornton is he also has a tendency to be a blackhole and we can't spend the rest of the night trying to get him going at the expense of the team. while jimmer isnt ready we start flynn who did a good job in his rookie year, hobbled by injuries but still a point none the less. J. Hill is also a much bigger body on the block compared to hickson, providing a longer player for D. and a scrapper like parsons, cause God knows we most can't stand salmons

we go trade - Hickson and Thornton for J. Hill, Flynn, Parsons and 2ndrounder

flynn/jimmer/IT
Reke/Cisco
Parsons/salmons/Greene/outlaw
J.Hill/JT/Hayes/
Cousins/Whiteside
isn't flynn a shoot first PG? hes undersized and likes to gun.