Welcome Vince Carter

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by lwc, Jul 6, 2017.

1. lwc

lwc Well-Known Member

2. Khanh

Khanh New Member

1 year deal. Maybe teach all these young kids how to be airborne
  3. pdizo916

pdizo916 Active Member

lol the hell...i guess....
    206Fan likes this.
  4. kingsboi

kingsboi Well-Known Member

one year mentorship courtesy of Vince
    VF21 likes this.
  5. giantking1355

giantking1355 Member

Come on people, he can still sky over Frenchman! Don't forget Napoleon is French haha
  6. KINGSonFIRE

KINGSonFIRE Member

Mentorship from someone they probably idolized when they were kids? This is such a valuable signing for the team! I'm pumped!
  7. Double-K

Double-K Well-Known Member

The importance of veteran leadership and their teaching has gone over the head for some people...

Not to mention, if we just throw our young core out immediately, it could actually hurt their development.
    Spike and VF21 like this.
  8. SLAB

SLAB Well-Known Member

This will be a highly selling novelty/collectors jersey methinks.

Stoked to have him! I love all our moves this offseason!
  9. kingsboi

one year deals affect the team in no way, shape or form.
    Kingster, VF21, EIM86 and 2 others like this.
  10. kingsboi

one final note on Vince, last I heard from him was earlier today, he was broadcasting the summer league game with Rick Kamla. Pistons vs Mavericks down in Orlando.
  11. OptimusRhyme

OptimusRhyme Jive Turkey Contributor

12. gunks

gunks Well-Known Member

I like it!

He still has game.
  13. King Baller

King Baller Well-Known Member

I have always liked Vince Carter. Give the Rookies someone to scrimmage against who is as old as their Dads.
  14. jcassio

jcassio Well-Known Member

Another great mentor and role model for the youngsters. We're set!
    Hope we keep KK, too, assuming he doesn't become an unhappy camper.
    Vince is so old that... (you fill it in)
    VF21 and roasthawg like this.
  15. Jimbob

Jimbob Well-Known Member

and he plays SF. I like it.
  16. funkykingston

funkykingston Well-Known Member

Practices should be fun

PG Hill
    SG Temple
    SF Carter
    PF Randolph
    C Koufos

Average age = 33.4

PG Fox
    SG Hield
    SF Richardson
    PF Giles
    C Papagiannis

Average age = 20.7
  17. Suicide King

Suicide King Well-Known Member

I don't even mind that Vince is just ring chasing now :D

Welcome Half King Half Amazing
  18. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

Just don't get it. There goes a chunk of minutes from Bogdan, Malachi, Temple, Jackson or whoever else. I really don't want to watch a bunch of old washed up guys take away valuable playing time from the younger players. People are taking this whole mentor thing way too far. It's not necessary to have a mentor taking up 25min a night at each and every position. We already have enough on the team. I don't want to watch that crap all year.
  19. roasthawg

roasthawg Well-Known Member

Great post, I like it!
    lwc likes this.
  20. roasthawg

You really don't get it, see the post I quoted above from funkykingston. It's all about developing these guys, think about the practices and the locker room.
  21. DesertFox

DesertFox Well-Known Member

Hill Fox Mason
    Hield Temple (Malachi)
    Carter Bog Jackson
    Zbo Skal (Giles)
    WCS Koufos (Papa)

Malaki and Jackson alternate in the G league.

Although they won't get PT right away, Mason, Malachi/Jackson, and Papa/Giles are each one injury away from getting into the rotation. And all these vet signings aren't exactly young ironmen.

This depth is good, versus being one injury away from a kid being forced into 30+minutes.
    iowamcnabb, MizzouKing and roasthawg like this.
  22. Telemachus

Telemachus Well-Known Member

Right now I bet the old team would spank the youngsters.
  23. 206Fan

206Fan Well-Known Member

I'm fine with this as long as he doesn't play more than 10mins/game. VC is washed up now, and I can't say he'd be better than a player like Malachi Richardson or Justin Jackson. His numbers with Memphis aren't pretty.
  24. funkykingston

funkykingston Well-Known Member

Well, Temple is 31 so I don't see why Carter potentially taking some of his minutes is a big deal, but I see what you're getting at.

But if Jackson, Richardson and Bogdanovic can't beat out 40 year old Vince Carter for minutes then it gives them something to shoot for. Motivation to work hard in practice. To work hard in the weight room. To put up extra shots before games. To get better each day.

Having mentors for young guys is huge. It's guys showing them how to navigate the NBA life, how to avoid pitfalls they fell into, how to break down film, how to communicate on defense, how to bring effort every game, the type of work ethic necessary to keep you in the league for a long career, proper nutrition - in short, how to be a pro.

And on the court it forces them to grow.

When young guys are just given PT right off the bat there's no mechanism to correct bad habits and force them to play the right way other than the coaching staff getting on them and that only goes so far. But having a veteran in front of them, or coming off the bench behind them forces them to adapt. To play the right way if they want to earn minutes. And it makes them hungry for those minutes.

We saw it last year with Malachi. Coming up from Reno and actually getting to play NBA minutes, you could see it meant something to him. He worked hard for the opportunity. And while I'm sure he would have liked to have gotten 25 mpg and played all year, if you asked him I bet he'd say it made him a better player and made him want to work harder moving forward.
  25. ockingsfan

ockingsfan Well-Known Member

Can Vince play some Small Forward?
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  26. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

That's all fine and dandy but we're going to have to sit through a full year of watching washed up vets play half the minutes. We already had temple who could have filled that role just fine while allowing the younger guys to still get their minutes. Pointless signing that's just going to make for boring basketball and less real world development. These guys don't need their own personal coach for each and every position. What's next, a veteran SG so Hield can learn the ropes?
  27. roasthawg

That parts in the eye of the beholder I guess... Personally, I'm super excited for this season. Hill, zbo, and Vince are all guys that play the game right. That's a style of basketball I like to watch. Throw in the youth and it's going to be crazy entertainment.
  28. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking more along the lines that Temple is going to get his minutes too so it's going to come at the cost of Malachi or someone else. I get the need for vets but we know how Joerger loves playing them so its probably going to take a while to see these guys get minutes even after they've earned it. Should have just rolled with Temple as the starter and whoever earns the backup minutes gets to play.
  29. Tetsujin

Tetsujin The Game Thread Dude

Already got him. GT has been here since last year
  30. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

I like it.

This is becoming a fantasy basketball camp for pros. Not a bad thing.

We basically have a mentor at every position now.