Welcome home Ryan Anderson - maybe, likely?

K

KingMilz

I don't get the Anderson hype unless he signs a relatively good deal money wise he's another really poor defender, if we wanted stretch 4's who don't defend we should look at Andrew Nickelson or someone like that. I don't think we should put all our money into a guy like Anderson (it's similar move to bringing in Rondo which I don't like either). I'm sure there's PF's of similar overall calibar who we could get way cheaper.

Ideally the PF we do get allows WCS to play @C and protect the rim rather than chasing people around the perimeter, Anderson does not do that at all and therefore our best rim protector will never protect the rim with Cousins/Anderson playing next to him.

Similar players we could get for cheaper
Ersan Illyasova : scrappy and can shoot

Last edited by a moderator:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ilyasova is under contract next season. The Kings would have to trade With Orlando to get him.

Ilyasova was a guy I wanted the Kings to trade for last offseason.

K

KingMilz

Ilyasova is under contract next season. The Kings would have to trade With Orlando to get him.

Ilyasova was a guy I wanted the Kings to trade for last offseason.
Your right different sites have different things the one I read said he was a FA and I just checked and yeah he is under contract.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We could use Anderson and he would help tremendously.....defensively he's ok, but he's a good shooter and rebounder and team guy.....no drama here.....plays hard always....what's not to like?

I don't get the Anderson hype unless he signs a relatively good deal money wise he's another really poor defender, if we wanted stretch 4's who don't defend we should look at Andrew Nickelson or someone like that. I don't think we should put all our money into a guy like Anderson (it's similar move to bringing in Rondo which I don't like either). I'm sure there's PF's of similar overall calibar who we could get way cheaper.

Ideally the PF we do get allows WCS to play @C and protect the rim rather than chasing people around the perimeter, Anderson does not do that at all and therefore our best rim protector will never protect the rim with Cousins/Anderson playing next to him.

Of course I can only speak for myself but my reasoning is that he is not only a stretch 4 but he is as good as a #2 option we can possibly get in FA. So signing him would allow us to maybe move Gay for a defensive minded SF down the road.

I'm not sure I am on the Ryan Anderson train. He'd be a great pick-up, but I like DMC and Willie starting together and Ryno doesn't strike me as a guy wanting to come off the bench.

I like Acy, but I don't think he should be getting more than 5-10mins in a game. He brings heart and hustle, but his skillset is extremely limited. He's undersized and is very foul prone. He's not a good rebounder despite his strength. He's a nice 3pt shooter, but we don't see it often.

If we get Anderson, Acy won't be in our rotation.

Anderson would probably start in order to spread the floor. A team of a Cuz-Gay needs floor spreaders. Anderson would be perfect. I think the biggest determining key is who our PG and SG will be. We'd need good defenders at those spots. If it's Rondo and Ben, WCS will get the start since Rondo plays 0 defense.

Big Question: how much does he want?

And with the way Acy has been playing, Cousins/WCS/Anderson/Acy with Koufos as trade bait isn't too shabby either.

Acy would provide more needs anyway as an above the rim player and solid defender in pick and roll. Also, you can't have a 4th big making 8 million a year. That's just a waste of space no matter how high the cap is. He'll still be making nearly 10% of it to play 8 minutes a game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm not sure I am on the Ryan Anderson train. He'd be a great pick-up, but I like DMC and Willie starting together and Ryno doesn't strike me as a guy wanting to come off the bench.
?

He's come off the bench for years now. He's only started 48 of 230 games in the last 4 years, and many of those were probably due to the constant injuries down there.

It would presumably be a 3-man rotation anyway, with Acy and Koufos as good depth. Might even be able to move Kosta since he has some value, if w could get a decent placeholder center back. But handy as Cuz insurance, and by the new salary standards, on a decent deal too.

Both of which could be good moves.

1 new coach
1 new Ryan Anderson
1 potential trade of Rudy for a more 3 and D type wing
1 trade of the pick and Ben or Bels for a defensive SG

might be all the changes really needed

Of course if a rook can step right in, fine. But we can't wait.

You guys think Ryan Anderson could play SF? If he could, we would be looking at a front line of Anderson, WCS, and DMC . Pretty solid. You then trade Rudy for backcourt help, and use your draft pick to draft BPA to upgrade your talent .

I stand corrected! I thought he was starting there, but I should have fact-checked that one. If he's willing to come off the bench he'd be fantastic.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
You guys think Ryan Anderson could play SF? If he could, we would be looking at a front line of Anderson, WCS, and DMC . Pretty solid. You then trade Rudy for backcourt help, and use your draft pick to draft BPA to upgrade your talent .
I'd give a qualified yes, if and only if you play him with a versatile power forward who can guard the faster small forwards. On the bright side that might be a good description of WCS.

I'd give a qualified yes, if and only if you play him with a versatile power forward who can guard the faster small forwards. On the bright side that might be a good description of WCS.

That's what I'm thinking. You can hide Anderson's defensive deficiencies with WCS in the lineup. Anderson in the starting lineup would dramatically improve the shooting and offense on this team. This team has always lacked a legitimate outside threat to make teams pay for double teaming Cousins.

I'm not faulting Vlade for the moves he made this year. Even though we missed the playoffs again, I think we have a playoff team this year ON PAPER. It's just that we were held back by George Karl and the team instability that followed with him. Replace Karl with a legitimate head coach like Thibodeau, bulk up the backcourt and I think we are legitimate playoff contenders.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Anderson's first two years in the NBA he was a good defender. A lot depends on how a team uses him and who he's on the floor with. He plays away from the basket a lot, and at times is stuck guarding the other teams SF. I can see the possibility of having Cuz, Willie, and Anderson on the floor at the same time. We'd let Willie guard the other teams SF and have Ryan guard the PF. Anderson can singlehandedly take over a game, and he would certainly help spread the floor for Cuz.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, he's been coming off the bench for a lot of his career. Ryan isn't a trouble maker, and he'll get his minutes whether he comes off the bench or starts.

I would sign and trade rudy and duke for ryan anderson.
Resign rondo,
Pick jaylen brown with our pick
Trade kosta for cap space
Sign arturas gudaitis as our back up C
Sign a vet defender at the 3
Get a Defensive coach and we sweet!

Rondo/collison/*curry (if he stays)
Mclemore/bellineli/anderson (if he stays)
Casspi/brown/matt barnes (i wish)
WCS/Anderson/Acy
Cuz/Gudaitis

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Off the beam a bit but Ryan was the 21st pick in the first round. It's all very difficult to predict how a college player will turn out after some years in the NBA. You do the best you can when your turn to pick comes up.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I won't get my hopes up too high in getting Anderson, he will be a coveted free agent.
We have a huge advantage over any other team. Ryan loves Sacramento and has talked more about Sacramento as a place to live than New Orleans. He also wants to be near his family. He has stated that he misses them AND what athlete doesn't want to play in front of his/her parents? It would take a monumental screw up on the part of Vlade or those who hired him if we don't sign Anderson. This is just my opinion but if you read the article linked to at the top of this thread, it is difficult to conclude anything else.

We have a huge advantage over any other team. Ryan loves Sacramento and has talked more about Sacramento as a place to live than New Orleans. He also wants to be near his family. He has stated that he misses them AND what athlete doesn't want to play in front of his/her parents? It would take a monumental screw up on the part of Vlade or those who hired him if we don't sign Anderson. This is just my opinion but if you read the article linked to at the top of this thread, it is difficult to conclude anything else.
I agree that RA would like playing in Sacto with the new arena opening and all. To me he seems like he would be a leader off the bench and often could finish games depending on the other teams roster.

K

KingMilz

Anderson's first two years in the NBA he was a good defender. A lot depends on how a team uses him and who he's on the floor with. He plays away from the basket a lot, and at times is stuck guarding the other teams SF. I can see the possibility of having Cuz, Willie, and Anderson on the floor at the same time. We'd let Willie guard the other teams SF and have Ryan guard the PF. Anderson can singlehandedly take over a game, and he would certainly help spread the floor for Cuz.
But we want WCS protecting the rim he's been fairly crap as a rookie defending the perimeter against PF's let alone SF's, players like Lou WIlliams and Jamal Crawford can also take over games and neither would/do cost 1/2 as much as Anderson. We might as well get a cheap chucker off the bench and use the other money for a decent 2 guard/SF.

I don't really see the possibility of Cousins/WCS/Anderson playing at the same time it's just way to slow to match up with any line up in the NBA.

K

KingMilz

He can't play SF.......A guy like Paul Milsap would not be that good (or as effective as he is currently) at SF and he's way more skilled and athletic compared to Anderson.

Which stretch 4 or 3 man did WCS defend well this year? I'm sure he can do it for a few possessions but he's shown nothing so far to even suggest he can do it for a 5 minute stretch he's at his best using his quickness around the rim.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He can't play SF.......A guy like Paul Milsap would not be that good (or as effective as he is currently) at SF and he's way more skilled and athletic compared to Anderson.

Which stretch 4 or 3 man did WCS defend well this year? I'm sure he can do it for a few possessions but he's shown nothing so far to even suggest he can do it for a 5 minute stretch he's at his best using his quickness around the rim.
Ryan has played a fair amount of SF in his career (especially early). But the way the league has gone has made him more of a PF.

K

KingMilz

Ryan has played a fair amount of SF in his career (especially early). But the way the league has gone has made him more of a PF.
Yeah but we are talking about now he's not a SF in anyway. If Ryan wants to come here on a reasonable deal i'm all for it but a near max deal for a guy who's shooting % have been crap the last two years with questiobale defense not to mention plenty of injuries no thanks.

Did he play SF? The only SF's I remember playing with Dwight in Orlando were Grant Hill/Hedo/Rashad Lewis(played mainly PF as well)/Vince Carter/Mickel Piterus/Matt Barnes I always thought he played as a stretch 4.