Welcome Arron Afflalo!

Considering the contracts being handed out, this one isn't a punch in the gut.
If he can bring any sort of perimeter defense like he did in his early years along with some consistent offense this could prove to be a very nice pick-up.
And I like that it is for 2 years.
Gives us some bargaining for when we negotiate Bogdan's contract while still being able to convince him to come over since it's not a long-term deal.

I was wondering if they might like a veteran like Afflalo on a shorter deal with Badganovic coming over next year. Afflalo was better than I thought he would be last year. Decent signing I guess.

I watched a lot of the Knicks last season because of Porzingis.

Afflalo was terrible last year. He's selfish and loves to go into isos. Post fadeaways are going to be very common with him even when there's WCS/Cousins in the paint. I don't know how his offense will fit when we'll have Gay/WCS/Cousins all in the painted area. He's a great shooter, but loves to post up.

His defense is terrible now too. Almost as bad as Jose Calderon's.

Was he really our best option available?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
It seemed inevitable that we were going to pay somebody three times Ben McLemore's salary to basically be Ben McLemore. Looking at the options available, I like Afflalo slightly better than Courtney Lee. He did play with Collison for two years at UCLA so there's familiarity there (assuming we keep Collison). He doesn't have it defensively anymore but maybe he makes up for it with veteran savvy? Typical Kings signing though -- burning up that cap space on mediocre bottom tier veterans nobody else really wants. I guess you take what you can get.

I watched a lot of the Knicks last season because of Porzingis.

Afflalo was terrible last year. He's selfish and loves to go into isos. Post fadeaways are going to be very common with him even when there's WCS/Cousins in the paint. I don't know how his offense will fit when we'll have Gay/WCS/Cousins all in the painted area. He's a great shooter, but loves to post up.

His defense is terrible now too. Almost as bad as Jose Calderon's.

Was he really our best option available?
Beggars can't be choosers my friend. He's still better than Ben and can provide leadership. Also, his contract is up in 2 years plus it doesn't break the bank, and I am thinking that a certain Bogdan will be taking over at the end of it. He's just 30 years old, but not effective as he once was. Lee probably was asking for too much or said no. I think we did well with the SG position, considering the contracts that have been thrown out there. However, Afflalo is a great shooter and he's tough. The Knicks were a disaster last year anyway, I won't judge him too harshly over it.

Considering the contracts being handed out, this one isn't a punch in the gut.
Everyone should remember, the salary cap is going up to, I believe, 92M this season and that every team has to spend up to 90% of that cap. That's why you're seeing teams like the Lakers make these ridiculous deals with marginal players. Going in the Lakers had to spend around 60M just to reach the floor.

As for the Kings, they needed to spend at least 20M to reach the floor. They have no choice to but to sign a couple of someones. Afflalo is just the first. And as pointed out, at least it's only for 2 years.

It'll be crazier next season as the cap goes up to somewhere around 110M, which means the Kings will have to spend at least 99M. With that kind of payroll in a small market, I'm betting Vivek is wishing he never agreed to refuse revenue sharing. We're gonna be in more trouble than we already are.....

But back to the topic at hand ---- Welcome Arron Afflalo!

It seemed inevitable that we were going to pay somebody three times Ben McLemore's salary to basically be Ben McLemore. Looking at the options available, I like Afflalo slightly better than Courtney Lee. He did play with Collison for two years at UCLA so there's familiarity there (assuming we keep Collison). He doesn't have it defensively anymore but maybe he makes up for it with veteran savvy? Typical Kings signing though -- burning up that cap space on mediocre bottom tier veterans nobody else really wants. I guess you take what you can get.
My guess is that we were afraid that the Blazers would match our offer for Crabbe so that our cap space could be tied up for three days and we would not be able to sign anybody.
Regarding Lee vs Afflalo, I like Lee better but Afflalo on 2 years is a lot easier to swallow than Lee on 4 years. Need to watch film on Afflalo before I make a final judgement of this move though

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Yeah, let's see if we can't spell the man's name right.
I'll probably just go with "Awful Falafel" and leave it at that. No, seriously, my boss is a Knicks fan and last year we had this conversation:

Boss: Hey, did you see the Knicks just signed that guy?
Capt. Fact.: What guy?
Boss: You know, Af-off-loff... um, Awful Falafel.
Capt. Fact.: Arron Afflalo?
Boss: Yeah, that guy.
Capt. Fact.: "Awful Falafel"? Really?
So....welcome to the Kings, Awful Falafel!