We Won't Change Our Minds (Thank KJ info)

"We have a week or two left in the season. I think we should support our team for the next couple of weeks and we need to do that. That's the respectable thing for Sacramento to do." - Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, April 13, 2012

Mad. Upset. Angry. Frustrated. Sad. Depressed. Betrayed. Confused. Hurt. Helpless. Worried.

Those are some of the adjectives I have seen written by so many over the last 24 plus hours since what went down in New York.

It is completely understandable to feel what we are all feeling. It is human nature to do so.

I have also seen so many discuss the idea of boycotting and/or protesting.

Really?

Really?

What will that accomplish? Use your critical thinking skills and the first person to give me an explanation and tell me why that would work in our favor wins blue prints to the Death Star.

Boycotting and/or protesting is exactly what the Maloofs want you to do just like they wanted you to feel those adjectives I mentioned above. It is all a part of their plan so do not fall for it.

Maybe it is just me but I did not hit the panic button. Instead I came home from work to make a few phone calls to rally the troops. I was going to do this regardless of the outcome but this makes it that much more urgent. Then I watched a comedy movie (American Reunion was a funny movie and highly recommended). That is how I dealt with the situation.

Boycotting and/or protesting would only provide more fuel to the fire for the Maloofs to seek a relocation. Of course I do not see them getting the approval from their fellow NBA owners, but that is another story for another day.

For now the Sacramento Kings are still our Sacramento Kings. I did not see any moving vans. Did you? I admit I am blind to an extent but I never saw one. The team will remain in town for another season. After that? Who knows?

So what should we do?

We should continue to go about our lives as if the news we heard never happened, to an extent of course. Our local boy and hero Mayor Kevin Johnson said it best during his press conference. We should continue to support our team. That would be the respectful thing to do for Sacramento. That is how we should be remembered.

We need to show our local community and the nation that we have class and are not going to stoop down to the level of a family that has made it clear that they do not want to be in Sacramento.

We should NOT cancel our season tickets for next season. I refuse to do so. I hope others will follow in my lead. I will also attend other events at ARCO Arena (it will always be ARCO Arena to me) as long as we have any and that I would like to go to.

Please also remember we need to also think about those who are employed at the old barn. Most depend on their job there to keep a roof over their head, food on the table, to care for their families, as a second income, etc. Do not let them become the collateral damage.

Tweeting and posting your thoughts, comments and opinions are fine. But to get something to trend? What will that accomplish? The power of Twitter will not change anything. Trending how much you want new ownership will fall on deaf ears. Instead buy a ticket and support our town and our team. The visualization of a packed crowd to cheer on our SACRAMENTO KINGS is all our community and the world needs to see.

That is why I am asking you, yes you, to join us this Sunday at the Sacramento International Airport to welcome home the only hero in this arena saga: Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson.

Mayor Johnson has done the impossible and accomplished that in just one year. He played a game of poker with the NBA with the Maloofs hanging in the balance. Mayor Johnson threw down his cards and won us another year to keep our hopes and dreams alive.

Mayor Johnson was able to raise $10 million in new sponsorship and ticket money from the business community. He was able to get ICON on board along with some dude named Burkle.

If that was not enough he was able to bring on AEG, get an environmental issue taken care of, etc.

We owe our gratitude and appreciation to Mayor Johnson. So let's show him our love at the airport on Sunday and then again this Tuesday night at city hall.

Here's the catch though. There is a dress code. You cannot wear any Sacramento Kings gear including hats, jackets, jerseys, sweaters, shirts, etc. I do not want to see a Power Balance bracelet either.

Instead wear your white #FANS shirt. We are well known and respected by the city council as we have demonstrated that we are educated with facts on why we need a new downtown arena for reasons that are #BiggerThanBasketball (yes, there is a hashtag but I could care less if it trends or not). We do not have Kings tunnel vision. Yes, we admit most of us are Kings fans but not all of us are but more importantly we are #FANS of Sacramento.

If you do not have a white #FANS shirt, do not worry. Simply wear a plain white shirt. You will blend in nicely with the rest of us.

Mayor Johnson will be arriving in Sacramento tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:17 p.m. Flight (2284) Delta.

We will then be at Sacramento City Hall no later than 5:30pm this Tuesday evening.

Hope to see you all there.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks, Mike! As always, you are the voice of reason.

I'd like to summarize two points for people:

1. Mayor Johnson will be arriving in Sacramento tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:17 p.m. Flight (2284) Delta.

2. There is a dress code. You cannot wear any Sacramento Kings gear including hats, jackets, jerseys, sweaters, shirts, etc. Wear your white #FANS shirt or a white t-shirt.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'd also recommend showing up a few minutes early. Last time around, the mayor arrived about 15 minutes earlier than expected.

Totally agree with Mike. The team and pride in the city should overshadow whatever bad feelings you have. Big picture thinking - support for the team does more than boycotts. Emotional first response is probably opposite, but the overall goal is to pin the Maloofs to keeping the team here and not giving into their transparent antics to provoke the city and it's fans. Don't think of it as supporting the Maloofs, think of it as spoiling their plans.

I will be going to the airport and to the city council meeting. I'm going to keep supporting the team as long as they are here in Sacramento. Those players still represent Sacramento. I still fully support those players and remain loyal to the Sacramento Kings. Altho I hate putting any money into the Maloofs pockets, it's not about the Maloofs and never has been. My jersey says "Sacramento Kings" not "Maloofs." The Kings are my team in a way it will never be the Maloofs team.

I just hope that the Maloofs are smart enough to either not come to games any more or stay in their private suite. I will boo them.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm split on this. Don't take anything out on the players. Protests usually don't go as planned, would be on far too short notice, and I have zero confidence in Kings fans actually organizing something successful in that manner. Boycott wouldn't work as nowhere near enough people would be involved to actually effect change and the negative publicity would be too much.

Now, would I tell anyone not to boo the Maloofs when they show up tomorrow? No way. You by a ticket, you reserve the right to boo. Anti-Maloof chants I have no problem with, as that assumes people are still buying tickets and showing up. Main thing imo is to keep showing up. At the same time I wouldn't tell someone else not to cancel season tickets. It's their choice and the product has been s****y beyond belief.

Something I like about this board in people aren't going off the edge. Compare it to STR where guys like Ziller are allowing articles titled "Maloofs are still F___ing idiots" to be published on the main page, and tens of thousands of F bombs being dropped the past day or two, or Carmichael Dave not responding to fans who want to help, even Napear getting in pissing contests on twitter, and I think everyone needs to be smarter. I'm more impressed with the attitude of fans here than elsewhere, but am pretty disappointed so far in what I've seen from the select few who actually have a voice and seem to be abusing that fact. Too many wanting to play hero instead of uniting the fans.

What we need is more positive leadership, and Mike I'm glad you're stepping forward once again.

Last edited:
J

jdbraver

The best way to show we still support local teams and screw the maloofs at the same time is to sell out river cats games

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The best way to show we still support local teams and screw the maloofs at the same time is to sell out river cats games
Talent-wise this might be the best Rivercats team they've ever had too, so those games ought to be fun. I think they lead the league in attendance every year already, but it is one more positive to point to in Sacramento's favor.

Very nice work again Mike.

The boycott thing got started when someone suggested that the only way the Maloofs would be forced to sell is if they could not make payroll. Perhaps if there were near zero ticket, merchandise, parking and concession money they would not be able to make payroll sometime next season. This depends on what their financial situation actually is, and nobody really knows. However, if the NBA was going to loan them 67 of the 73 million, their situation may not be good at all.

I am not saying that I am pro-boycott, but that is from where the idea came and what it may accomplish.

Last edited:
To each his own. Some will continue to support the maloofs, and thats what showing up to games is. And some won't. Im in the latter. Ive shredded my SA and Laker tix and ive contacted the ticket office telling them I will not renew my tix for next year. Ive also contacted people with 12 more tix who have done the same. We will not be putting ANY more of our hard earned money into the maloofs pockets. We will not support ANYTHING maloofs. And putting your butt in a seat is showing support. I will have no part of that. It's not in my make-up to support someone who sharts on me over and over again. Sorry.

Not going to games will have ZERO impact on what happens here on out. This has nothing to do with the fans. This has to do with luxury boxes, corporate sponsorship, and market viability. So people will make up their own minds and the city will move on. Even after the team leaves next season.