WCS named to All-Rookie Second Team

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From press release:

Willie Cauley-Stein Named to NBA All-Rookie 2nd Team

Posted: May 19, 2016
SACRAMENTO, CA - Sacramento Kings center Willie Cauley-Stein was named to the 2015-16 NBA All-Rookie Second Team, the NBA announced today. Selected out of Kentucky in the first round (sixth overall) of the 2015 NBA Draft, Cauley-Stein averaged 7.0 points (.563 FG%, .648 FT%), 5.3 rebounds, 1.00 blocks and 21.4 minutes per game in 66 games, of which he started 39. Among NBA rookies, Cauley-Stein ranked first in field goal percentage, tied seventh in rebounds per game, and sixth in blocks per game.

Cauley-Stein becomes the 15th Kings player in franchise history and the 11th in the Sacramento era to be named to the NBA All-Rookie Team, with DeMarcus Cousins being the last to be named (2010-11).

Joining Cauley-Stein on the NBA All-Rookie Second Team is Justise Winslow (Miami Heat), D’Angelo Russell (Los Angeles Lakers), Emmanuel Mudiay (Denver Nuggets), and Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers).

Kia NBA Rookie of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns (Minnesota Timberwolves), Kristaps Porzingis (New York Knicks), Devin Booker (Phoenix Suns), Nikola Jokic (Denver Nuggets), and Jahlil Okafor (Philadelphia 76ers) were named to the 2015-16 NBA All-Rookie First Team by a panel of sportswriters and broadcasters in the United States and Canada.

Below are the voting results for the 2015-16 NBA All-Rookie Team. The balloting was tabulated by the independent accounting firm of Ernst & Young LLP.

2015-16 NBA ALL-ROOKIE FIRST TEAM
Player Team First (2 Pts) Second (1 Pt) Total
Karl-Anthony Towns Minnesota 130 - 260
Kristaps Porzingis New York 130 - 260
Devin Booker Phoenix 103 25 231
Nikola Jokic Denver 73 40 186
Jahlil Okafor Philadelphia 71 44 186
2015-16 NBA ALL-ROOKIE SECOND TEAM
Player Team First (2 Pts) Second (1 Pt) Total
Justise Winslow Miami 44 63 151
D’Angelo Russell L.A. Lakers 25 92 142
Emmanuel Mudiay Denver 35 70 140
Myles Turner Indiana 28 83 139
Willie Cauley-Stein Sacramento 2 46 50

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I feel like I shouldn't be petty enough to mention that Cauley-Stein, in the process of finishing tenth among rookies in voting for the All-Rookie team, was eighty-nine points behind the ninth-place guy (Turner), and only three points ahead of the eleventh-place guy (Kaminsky)... But, I kinda am.

But, congrats to Cauley-Stein, all the same; would like to have seen him have a rookie season where his coach wasn't holding him back.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel like I shouldn't be petty enough to mention that Cauley-Stein, in the process of finishing tenth among rookies in voting for the All-Rookie team, was eighty-nine points behind the ninth-place guy (Turner), and only three points ahead of the eleventh-place guy (Kaminsky)... But, I kinda am.

But, congrats to Cauley-Stein, all the same; would like to have seen him have a rookie season where his coach wasn't holding him back.
I noticed that, too. BUT I will defend WCS with the caveat that had he not been shackled with George Karl, he would have undoubtedly (at least in my mind) played the entire season and won over more people.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cauley-Stein becomes the 15th Kings player in franchise history and the 11th in the Sacramento era to be named to the NBA All-Rookie Team, with DeMarcus Cousins being the last to be named (2010-11)...
... So, just to review, that means for four straight seasons, we picked a guy in the Top 10 that wasn't good enough to make the All-Rookie team.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Yeah, last year's draft ended up being surprisingly deep. I liked a lot of guys in that draft but I'm surprised how quickly guys like Booker, Winslow and Turner took to the league and started producing right away. Even some of the lower ranked guys like Josh Richardson in Miami and TJ McConnell in Philadelphia had good years. I'm happy with Cauley-Stein though. He may not have the offensive upside of Myles Turner but he looked competent enough in the post to project some future potential there and while he probably won't block more shots than Turner, he's far more versatile as an all-around defender. It just goes to show that you can't really trust pre-draft projections too much. Sometimes strong drafts turn out to be mediocre and weak drafts turn out to be better than expected. There are solid NBA players in every draft if you know how to find them (and get a little bit lucky :) ).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, last year's draft ended up being surprisingly deep. I liked a lot of guys in that draft but I'm surprised how quickly guys like Booker, Winslow and Turner took to the league and started producing right away. Even some of the lower ranked guys like Josh Richardson in Miami and TJ McConnell in Philadelphia had good years. I'm happy with Cauley-Stein though. He may not have the offensive upside of Myles Turner but he looked competent enough in the post to project some future potential there and while he probably won't block more shots than Turner, he's far more versatile as an all-around defender. It just goes to show that you can't really trust pre-draft projections too much. Sometimes strong drafts turn out to be mediocre and weak drafts turn out to be better than expected. There are solid NBA players in every draft if you know how to find them (and get a little bit lucky :) ).
WCS could have been in that group if a certain coach who is no longer here would have given him the opportunity earlier.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
WCS could have been in that group if a certain coach who is no longer here would have given him the opportunity earlier.
Yeah, the first half of the season was a waste for him. I think he's still right up there though as the all-rookie team selection attests to. He looked impressive out there and it's not just us Kings fans that noticed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I noticed that, too. BUT I will defend WCS with the caveat that had he not been shackled with George Karl, he would have undoubtedly (at least in my mind) played the entire season and won over more people.
We are in 100% total agreement. And, Congrats to Willie. Next step, the all star game, then MVP followed by the HOF! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Hey, it could happen....:rolleyes:

lowest votes by a long way make it look like he just scraped in. By the end of this coming season he'll be the most valued player from that 2nd team.

You can definitely be that petty bruh. Every. Single. Post.

Last year Bojan Bogdanovic, Langston Galloway and Jusuf Nurkic made the All-Rookie 2nd team.
One year later, would you take any of those 3 players over Rodney Hood who wasn't named ?

I'm glad WCS got some recognition but I don't think that All-Rookie nominations mean much.
I'm just happy to have WCS in a Kings uniform and I think he can be a special player and have a great career, regardless of his rookie season.

I watched a lot of both players and I surprised he got in over Trey Lyles. He was pretty dang good for the Jazz albiet for only the last couple months of the season. Still..... he was fighting for a playoff spot and played great.

gunks

Hall of Famer
WCS may have had a slightly overrated rookie season, but he showed some flashes of brilliance playing for a coach that may have been in the early stages of dementia.

He's gonna be a stud next season after getting coached up by Joerger.

WCS....MIP....YRIHF (y'all read it here first!)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I think we all know that the media-voted end of the year teams aren't actually a measure of merit. Deserving players are left out every year. But Cauley-Stein played well enough to attract positive attention -- not just in Sacramento, but nationwide. That's basically what this says and it's not a bad thing. :)