Wayne no more

Good, I was worried when we didn't hear anything yesterday. So our salary cap this year looks like this:

Guaranteed:
Gay*: 19.3m
Cousins: 14.7m
Landry: 6.5m
Williams*: 6.3m
Thompson: 6.0m
Collison: 4.8m
McLemore: 3.0m
Stauskas: 2.7m
Evans*: 1.8m
Ellington: 0.9m
McCallum*: 0.8m

*expiring or team option for 2015
----------------------------

Total: 66.8m
3.8m above the Salary Cap (63m)
10m below the Luxury Tax line (76.8m)
14m below the Tax Apron (80.8m) which is our hard cap for 2014/2015.

Thats a considerable amount of breathing room we carved out. Much more flexibility for trades.

I'm actually surprised we got rid of him, considering we were looking for a veteran in the backcourt to help the kids out every now and then. With the trade of JET, I wonder if there's another one coming soon with a SG/PG in mind?

So the Kings need 3pt shooters to spread the floor, and a guy who makes around 38 percent in his career, gets waived. I hope the kings have a master plan.....

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So the Kings need 3pt shooters to spread the floor, and a guy who makes around 38 percent in his career, gets waived. I hope the kings have a master plan.....
Maybe you missed the part where the dude pretty much said he didn't want to play for us

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ellington was a decent player, but how much playing time would he have gotten, or, if he did, then how much time would he take away from McLemore and Stauskas. Stauskas is a better shooter than Ellington will ever dream of being. Maybe he would have been insurance against injury, but I think the Kings have better priorities at the moment. And yes, I do think that all these moves are setting up a bigger one.

We are developing stauskas, mclemore, mccallum, and moreland. And in a longer term sense, Sim Bhullar.

There's no room for other low level players to get playing time. They've made a choice on their guys. Ellington, Tyler, gee, whoever else have no future on this team.

I may be wrong, but that's the sense I get. Everyone here should get on board with that and stop getting upset when guys like Gee and Ellington inevitably get waived. They are clearing cap space and nothing more. It's smart.

Also, I think they've played the odds and decided 2nd round picks have no value in the immediate short term. They don't have roster spots for more developing type players. They've got their guys for the next 2-3 years.

So looking at how our roster is currently constructed a Smith trade seems more likely now from the outside looking in. Furthermore if all the players involved in the Houston deal are waived and the Kings sign Casspi they still need to sign one more player or two if its a two for one deal in the J. Smith deal.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Ellington and Terry didn't want to play here and we didn't want them here. They were simply salary filler to make other deals happen. Now we have a spot for Terrence Williams if we can find a deal that both parties are happy with and I'd rather have Williams than either of these guys.

Good, I was worried when we didn't hear anything yesterday. So our salary cap this year looks like this:

Total: 66.8m
3.8m above the Salary Cap (63m)
10m below the Luxury Tax line (76.8m)
14m below the Tax Apron (80.8m) which is our hard cap for 2014/2015.

Thats a considerable amount of breathing room we carved out. Much more flexibility for trades.
So if You add in Moreland and Casspi at 1.5 mil and 12 players

We could use the entire 7.4 Mil Salary exception on a single player trade if someone needs to clear
salary. So what 7mil Shot blocking PF would be perfect?

Waiving Ellington and signing another player like TWill for vetmin makes cap space gain small, so either they are clearing as much space as possible for another trade and were forced by stretch provision deadline to act or they just really like TWill or maybe another guy, that keeping Ellington didn't make sense at all.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Waiving Ellington and signing another player like TWill for vetmin makes cap space gain small, so either they are clearing as much space as possible for another trade and were forced by stretch provision deadline to act or they just really like TWill or maybe another guy, that keeping Ellington didn't make sense at all.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I've heard very little about the Kings being interested in T. Will. At least recently. Not that I don't like him, but that I'm not sure why his name keeps coming up. Your dead on about why they used the stretch provision. It was now or never, and if you have a larger deal in the works, whether it comes to pass or not, you have to lay the ground work for it to be possible. We should know something sooner than later.

About TWill constantly popping up, I guess it's about vague recollections of his defense and unselfish playmaling, two traits Kings needed the most at the time. Add his apparently changed attitude, which was rumored to be his main problem, and decent 3-point shot, which was his main weakness, and you get, maybe a false, hope, that Kings can add matured lottery talent for free. We'll see...

What happened with TWill while he was a King? Does anyone know?
I don't think anyone does. I mostly generally hear vague comments about his personality but on the surface I have never seen anything but the contrary he looked like he got along fine with the squad and Cuz has raved about T Will being his good friend and such.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
When Williams came up as a possibility earlier in the summer, there wasn't any roster space or salary cap space to fit him in though most of us expected Terry and/or Ellington to be gone at some point. Williams fits the front office's MO of giving a shot to talented players who haven't found the right situation yet and we know he's interested in coming back and also that he played well in his previous stint here. I wasn't intending to start a new rumor or anything, I have no connections on that front. I was just speculating that clearing out some of these 'trade-filler' leftovers has opened a spot for Williams if the interest is indeed mutual. And also that personally, I would be happy to see him come back. He can guard some of the stronger guards that our two youngsters might have trouble with and he's also a capable ball handler and a willing passer.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When Williams came up as a possibility earlier in the summer, there wasn't any roster space or salary cap space to fit him in though most of us expected Terry and/or Ellington to be gone at some point. Williams fits the front office's MO of giving a shot to talented players who haven't found the right situation yet and we know he's interested in coming back and also that he played well in his previous stint here. I wasn't intending to start a new rumor or anything, I have no connections on that front. I was just speculating that clearing out some of these 'trade-filler' leftovers has opened a spot for Williams if the interest is indeed mutual. And also that personally, I would be happy to see him come back. He can guard some of the stronger guards that our two youngsters might have trouble with and he's also a capable ball handler and a willing passer.
But he doesn't meet the character standard IMHO. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/terrence-williams-arrested-gun-mother_n_3307923.html There are lots of players out there who don't carry guns when they're dropping off their child with the other parent.