Was Stern responsible for Kings staying?

I do often wonder if stern was integral in this team staying. If there was another commissioner would the kings be in sac? Was stern just following administrative procedure or did he go out of his way

I believe this was voted on by the owners of each team. So the answer to the thread title is no. Let's not ignore the gargantuan effort that was put forth by Sacramento to keep the team. Hopefully Seattle was taking notes.

I think there is simply no question that Stern took a sympathetic view toward Sacramento, collaborated with KJ, and twisted arms in the BOG on our behalf. No doubt about it in my mind. He's a hero to Sac.

It was the perfect storm against Seattle. Any one component weak and the team would've been gone. Without Stern, no chance. Without the political connections, no chance. Without the fans (grass roots) stepping up big time to cover for the politicians, again no chance. Seattle should have/would have had it under any other circumstances and may their football team get obliterated tomorrow.

If you are implying that Stern was the only individual responsible for the Kings staying, then, no, he was not. But he played a major role in the decision to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

Yeah, a mod split this discussiOn and helped me with the title :) I wasn't asking if he was soleLy responsible, just a key reason the team stayed. Certain questions do remain though, like who the 8 dissenters were and why that info isn't public knowledge

Last edited:
Yeah, a mod split this discussiOn and helped me with the title :) I wasn't asking if he was soleLy responsible, just a key reason the team stayed. Certain questions do remain though, like who the 8 dissenters were and why that info isn't public knowledge
If your an owner, you are allowed to vote. It's really not our business who or even why, they have their reasons.

If your an owner, you are allowed to vote. It's really not our business who or even why, they have their reasons.
Yeah but I still boycott Shark Tank advertisers anyway... just because I presume Cuban was one of the 8. Would like to know definitively who the 8 were because basketball is more fun if I can really really hate some teams... but not enough people are clamoring for it that it is up on google somewhere. Since I already hate the Mavs and Lakers it's cool.

If folks don't need to disclose which way they vote cant they just be bribed to vote for pure financial interest? We know who voted which way for the 28-2 thunder relocation, so it just seems odd to me that this hasn't leaked yet unless it was done in a secret manner.

Yeah but I still boycott Shark Tank advertisers anyway... just because I presume Cuban was one of the 8. Would like to know definitively who the 8 were because basketball is more fun if I can really really hate some teams... but not enough people are clamoring for it that it is up on google somewhere. Since I already hate the Mavs and Lakers it's cool.
The majority of kings fans, either consciously or subconsciously, wouldn't mind knowing the who/why. The more vindictive among us a little more

Last edited:
If folks don't need to disclose which way they vote cant they just be bribed to vote for pure financial interest? We know who voted which way for the 28-2 thunder relocation, so it just seems odd to me that this hasn't leaked yet unless it was done in a secret manner.
There is a big difference between 28-2 and 22-8. 22-8 is a whole lot closer and it's quite possible if you knew who voted which way, you could possibly see the factions in light of big market vs small market or something along that line. It was a story that was simply going to die, why put more legs on it.

In terms of bribery for pure financial interest, I'm not sure there is any rule to dictate what motivates an owner to vote anyway they choose.

The majority of kings fans, either consciously or subconsciously, wouldn't mind knowing the who/why. The more vindictive among us a little more
We don't always get what we want. I wanted a win last night.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This has turned into a rehash of which owners voted which way? Seriously?

...One more thread I can stop following...

:)