[Game] VSL Game 4 (7/13/2023): Kings vs. T-Wolves 6:30pm Pacific 9:30pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
These kids need a place where they can learn and get used to what it is like to be a Sacramento King, without the experience of losing some challenges and not getting a few calls is like not having dessert post-meal.

Lot of good here in the final game.

-Ford very deserving of a two-way slot. Seems absolutely perfect to be our 3rd/emergency PG if injuries happen. Not sure if he's got the size to be a regular rotation player, but certainly good enough for an end of bench guy.

-Daum at the 5 was real interesting. If he can actually shoot, I'd like to see more in Stockton. Just the threat of him being able to shoot opened up the offense. He was legit awesome everywhere else, including rim protection. Not a great sign for Queta that this is the best we've looked on O all summer with him at the 5.

-This was the Kessler game we've needed to see. Super active on defense, got after it on the glass and his offense looked great. Several great creation plays of him shooting off the dribble.

-Slawson; bleh. Didn't improve at all throughout the summer on O and had his worst game here. He's good on defense, but not seeing anything close to an NBA player on offense.

-Colby didn't shoot well, but just continues to be impactful everywhere. Awesome block on Miller. I think he's really going to shine once we get him minutes next to our good players with the big league club and can dial back his offensive role.

-Keon a bit of a mixed bag in this game, but still finished strong. He's absolutely an NBA player; I think the best course of action is he basically runs the G-League team for another season and he's ready to roll the following year to slot into a rotational role. A guy like Ford doesn't have a whole lot to improve on in the G-League, but I think Keon could use another year to really sharpen his ball-handling and on-ball skills.

Lot of good here in the final game.

-Ford very deserving of a two-way slot. Seems absolutely perfect to be our 3rd/emergency PG if injuries happen. Not sure if he's got the size to be a regular rotation player, but certainly good enough for an end of bench guy.

-Daum at the 5 was real interesting. If he can actually shoot, I'd like to see more in Stockton. Just the threat of him being able to shoot opened up the offense. He was legit awesome everywhere else, including rim protection. Not a great sign for Queta that this is the best we've looked on O all summer with him at the 5.

-This was the Kessler game we've needed to see. Super active on defense, got after it on the glass and his offense looked great. Several great creation plays of him shooting off the dribble.

-Slawson; bleh. Didn't improve at all throughout the summer on O and had his worst game here. He's good on defense, but not seeing anything close to an NBA player on offense.

-Colby didn't shoot well, but just continues to be impactful everywhere. Awesome block on Miller. I think he's really going to shine once we get him minutes next to our good players with the big league club and can dial back his offensive role.

-Keon a bit of a mixed bag in this game, but still finished strong. He's absolutely an NBA player; I think the best course of action is he basically runs the G-League team for another season and he's ready to roll the following year to slot into a rotational role. A guy like Ford doesn't have a whole lot to improve on in the G-League, but I think Keon could use another year to really sharpen his ball-handling and on-ball skills.
Pretty spot-on.

Slawson can use some time in Stockton to catch up to Kessler's level.

Colby just seems like a Swiss Army knife. I'm confident he'll be able to crack into the rotation.

We made the playoffs it looks like. Game on Saturday at 3:30 EST
Consolation game. Only the top 4 teams have a chance for the championship.

Number of Games: A total of 76 games will be played. Each team will play at least five games.
Each team will play four games from July 7-14.

Four-Team Tournament: After each team plays four games, the top four teams will advance to the
playoffs and participate in a semifinal game (July 16), and the two semifinal game winners will
participate in the championship game (July 17). The top four playoff seeds will be determined by
winning percentage with tiebreakers set forth below.

Consolation Games: The 26 teams that do not advance to the four-team playoff will play a fifth game
on either July 15 or July 16.
https://www.nba.com/news/2023-summer-league-format

According to Basketball Reference, Keon Ellis shot 50% and was the team's second leading rebounder across the last four games. He had 2.8 offensive rebounds and 5.8 overall per game. Ellis also came in second the Ford in assists per game.

His game still seems a little out of control, though, even for Summer League. Frantic. Or maybe that's just his style of playing. I wonder what Mike Brown thought?

Last edited:

Yeah I had no idea Daum had this in his bag, but if you combine this with shooting? Ok, now maybe there's something there. All his blocks were like super impressive timing contests too.
Jean Claude Van Daum

That Carton guy from the other team might be the GOAT PG left handed dunker, aside from Gary Payton III I can't think of another really elite dunking lefty thats like under 6'2/6'3.

Summer League is usually a clear display of NBA players vs. non NBA players. Kessler is an NBA player. And he's good.
the speed of the game is completely different. It’s good he shot 40% from 3. Not certain it will translate but it is the stat that matters the most from this summer league. It’s an encouraging start. Ellis, Jones have a slim chance to get rotation minutes. Everyone else is playing to be picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.